• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning the Back Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Hah, so you had the picture just sitting in your pics folder...waiting for the right time to strike. Did something in particular spur the change? (guess: teir lists)
4 other people just happened to put up avatars of really creepy looking people around the same time. Now its 5.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah Yuna for example. He probably got in for intelligent posting/being an old member.
or just being in good terms with one of the members, who knows.
It's important to differentiate between The Back Room and the Smash Back Room here. The Back Room is for general discussion. The Smash Back Room is for Smash Discussion.

I am at this writing moment a member of the Back Room. I used to be a member of the Smash Back Room but I lost access randomly one day. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it was due to inactivity because I hadn't posted in quite a while IIRC (so it wasn't like I posted stupidly and they went "Let's take it away!"). I've since not reapplied 'til just recently (like, two weeks ago or something) because I felt I wanted to see what's going on in the SBR nowadays.

So, in short, I'm a member of the BR, not the SBR (anymore). Also, anyone who donates or has someone donate money in their name and becomes a Premium Member automatically has BR and SBR access, IIRC. Said access is, of course, revoked once one's Premium Membership expires.

The SBR is for intelligent discussion without all the spam that the General boards have. Also, it's to weed out unintelligent posters, I guess. Likewise, the SBR is for intelligent Smash discussion. There are never any threads like "Smell the characters" in there. The SBR is where they discuss important things like serious debate about stage bans, banning of stalls and techniques, etc.

This, of course, creates limited usage. Few threads are ever active concurrently and there are also generally many less posts in there (like, say, a thread about stage bans in General Brawl vs. SBR, the General Brawl thread will outnumber the SBR-thread in posts 10 to 1 or something. On the other hand, all discussion is serious and for the most part intelligent ("I want to ban Skyworld!" vs. "I want to ban Skyworld because I hate it!" vs. "I want to ban Skyworld because if you break the platforms, it's an auto-loss for Olimar and pretty bad for Zamus and Ivysaur.").

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
all I said was "I doubt you've ever been to a tournament."

I don't know what you are talking about.
Saying that you doubt he ever won a tournament is like saying you assume he's never won a tournament. They're the same thing.

I am at this writing moment a member of the Back Room. I used to be a member of the Smash Back Room but I lost access randomly one day. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it was due to inactivity because I hadn't posted in quite a while IIRC (so it wasn't like I posted stupidly and they went "Let's take it away!"). I've since not reapplied 'til just recently (like, two weeks ago or something) because I felt I wanted to see what's going on in the SBR nowadays.
So, how do you apply to the SBR? I don't know if current SBRoomers will consider me worthy, but it's worth a try :D

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, how do you apply to the SBR? I don't know if current SBRoomers will consider me worthy, but it's worth a try :D
User CP -> Group Memberships

Well, I certainly didn't expect this much chatter over a simple question by a supposed Smash n00b such as myself. Certainly is funny how things work out, yes? Just to clear things out (I know I haven't actually been accused of this) I'm not claiming myself to be the best player around. I'm sure I'm not. But, I also don't appriciate people judging me without actually having seen me play. So you think I'm not that great? You know what? Maybe I'm where you think I am, and maybe I'm worse than you think. But maybe, I'm better. Hmm? I'm just saying, things like that can hurt a guy, ya know? Alright, now I'll just wait for everyone else to say what they want to say. I'm sure I'll get bashed some more, for apparently I don't know anything about anything.
Most people who just joined a community and for one of their very first posts say "I'm very good" usually aren't.

If you want to prove you're good, play some good people and have them attest to it. Or go to a tournament and make a name for yourself there. We can only judge from what we know about you so far and so far we know nothing.

Therefore, we must conclude that you're most probably exaggerating.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
It's important to differentiate between The Back Room and the Smash Back Room here. The Back Room is for general discussion. The Smash Back Room is for Smash Discussion.

So, in short, I'm a member of the BR, not the SBR (anymore). Also, anyone who donates or has someone donate money in their name and becomes a Premium Member automatically has BR and SBR access, IIRC. Said access is, of course, revoked once one's Premium Membership expires.

The SBR is for intelligent discussion without all the spam that the General boards have. Also, it's to weed out unintelligent posters, I guess. Likewise, the SBR is for intelligent Smash discussion. There are never any threads like "Smell the characters" in there. The SBR is where they discuss important things like serious debate about stage bans, banning of stalls and techniques, etc.

This, of course, creates limited usage. Few threads are ever active concurrently and there are also generally many less posts in there (like, say, a thread about stage bans in General Brawl vs. SBR, the General Brawl thread will outnumber the SBR-thread in posts 10 to 1 or something. On the other hand, all discussion is serious and for the most part intelligent ("I want to ban Skyworld!" vs. "I want to ban Skyworld because I hate it!" vs. "I want to ban Skyworld because if you break the platforms, it's an auto-loss for Olimar and pretty bad for Zamus and Ivysaur.").
The SBR went through a purging of its inactive users a little while ago. Many former SBR members who no longer posted lost their memberships. Also, premium members aren't given access anymore. I believe that stopped as soon as M3D took over.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also, anyone who donates or has someone donate money in their name and becomes a Premium Member automatically has BR and SBR access, IIRC
This was true in 2005, practice was halted in 2006 or so, becoming a Premium does not get you access to the SBR or BR anymore (positive about SBR, not entirely positive about BR).

Therefore, we must conclude that you're most probably exaggerating.
Actually the better conclusion is simply that it doesn't matter. Smashboards and what the SBR does affects tournaments, people who go to tournaments, the hosts, etc. If he doesn't run tournaments or attend tournaments, then even if he were the best player in the world, it would be meaningless because his skill would have no impact on anyone other than himself and the few local players he plays with.

Sliq

Smash Master
The SBR won't let me in because sometimes I yell at noobs. =<

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually the better conclusion is simply that it doesn't matter. Smashboards and what the SBR does affects tournaments, people who go to tournaments, the hosts, etc. If he doesn't run tournaments or attend tournaments, then even if he were the best player in the world, it would be meaningless because his skill would have no impact on anyone other than himself and the few local players he plays with.
This is also a very relevant point. It's also important to differentiate between just being a good player and knowing a lot about the game.

Let's assume Joe Schmoe is really good at the game, he's placed well and even won some national tournaments and a few international ones. But he does not know more about the game than Joe Blow. Should Joe Schmoe then be given access when Joe Blow isn't?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well, thanks guys for the info. I still don't agree with the whole "Top Player" bit, because even winning a tourney doesn't necessarily make you great (although I do know that there are many great kinds of players out there). Eh, thanks again guys, so much for this curious newbie. I think it'd be fun to fight one of these so-called "Top Players". If they beat me, so be it, but if they didnt' I'd laugh. Although my skill level DOES seem to drop qute a bit when I'm either online or under a considerable amount of pressure. Ah well, it'd be fun anyways...
Do me a favor and Money Match every single one of the top players, for 100 dollars. Starting with me since I need to get to GA, I'm not even the tip of the top and I'll play first :laugh:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Do me a favor and Money Match every single one of the top players, for 100 dollars. Starting with me since I need to get to GA, I'm not even the tip of the top and I'll play first :laugh:
Crowd: PINK!PINK!PINK!
MY EYYYYYES!

@OP: I believe you have to be among the top players, as well as proven yourself to the community.
By top players it would mean on a national level. For example Isai, Azen etc etc, among that level of competition.

Or you have great knowledge of the game and contribute a significant amount.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Lol, you beat me to asking him for a money match....

Anyway, the reason why people let them in the back room is because we know these people know what they're talking about. They win tournaments, they don't post like *******, and many of them continuously run successful tournaments too. Since you only have 7 posts, and I've never heard of you, I can safely assume that you don't know what you're talking about until you go to tournaments and prove yourself.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Also, anyone who donates or has someone donate money in their name and becomes a Premium Member automatically has BR and SBR access, IIRC. Said access is, of course, revoked once one's Premium Membership expires.
Not anymore. They changed it or I would be happily posting in the SBR right now lol.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I certainly didn't expect this much chatter over a simple question by a supposed Smash n00b such as myself. Certainly is funny how things work out, yes? Just to clear things out (I know I haven't actually been accused of this) I'm not claiming myself to be the best player around. I'm sure I'm not. But, I also don't appriciate people judging me without actually having seen me play. So you think I'm not that great? You know what? Maybe I'm where you think I am, and maybe I'm worse than you think. But maybe, I'm better. Hmm? I'm just saying, things like that can hurt a guy, ya know? Alright, now I'll just wait for everyone else to say what they want to say. I'm sure I'll get bashed some more, for apparently I don't know anything about anything.
sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me, where did that rule go

[/off topic]

if there was someone who spent time and effort getting lots of information and techniques out of the game and helping the community they would have a good chance of getting [elected?] usually if u spend a lot of time with the game you become good at it, its usually a given if someone is active they are good. Idk of an example where someone is horrible at the game but has given tons of information on it thought, just saying

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Well well, looks like things have heated up even more since yesterday, hah hah hah. Still, I don't apriciate some of the more experienced players on here saying that they could beat me without a problem. Like prevously stated, I'm sure you could beat me, I'm not doubing you can't. On the other hand, maybe I would pull through with more victories, leaving you saying "Wow, this twerp's better than I had believed him to be". Making assumptions is bad.

As for tourneys and helping.... First off, the last tourney that was held ANYWHERE around where I live was about... I'm pretty sure it was about 4 years ago. It wasn't very big, and my friend ended up winning.... And I'm am quite capable of emerging victorious in a skirmish with him. Secondly, although my contributions on this website add up to an astounding Z-E-R-O, I have helped many of my friends better their Brawl skills. I really don't think I'm being given enough credit here, but I can however understand where everyone is coming from. I really haven't done much. I'm a new face... Yet I always seem to end up in something like this in every forum board I join. Hah hah hah....

Sliq

Smash Master
Well well, looks like things have heated up even more since yesterday, hah hah hah. Still, I don't apriciate some of the more experienced players on here saying that they could beat me without a problem. Like prevously stated, I'm sure you could beat me, I'm not doubing you can't. On the other hand, maybe I would pull through with more victories, leaving you saying "Wow, this twerp's better than I had believed him to be". Making assumptions is bad.

As for tourneys and helping.... First off, the last tourney that was held ANYWHERE around where I live was about... I'm pretty sure it was about 4 years ago. It wasn't very big, and my friend ended up winning.... And I'm am quite capable of emerging victorious in a skirmish with him. Secondly, although my contributions on this website add up to an astounding Z-E-R-O, I have helped many of my friends better their Brawl skills. I really don't think I'm being given enough credit here, but I can however understand where everyone is coming from. I really haven't done much. I'm a new face... Yet I always seem to end up in something like this in every forum board I join. Hah hah hah....

Don't be so naive as to think your the first person to come along and challenge the established players. Many before you have come and fallen. MANY. I'm talking like, A LOT of people.

It has been historically proven that new people are inferior to veterans. Many, many times.

Also, if someone gets me in the SBR I'll give them a handjob.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Also, if someone gets me in the SBR I'll give them a handjob.
There's really no reason why he shouldn't be in. For one thing his posting style, specifically towards newer members should count for him rather than against him, though obviously shouldn't be openly encouraged.

Fletch

Smash Master

Just go to any decent sized tournament with any good players there, you may beat some people, but wait until you play someone decent, you'll get absolutely destroyed (nothing against you, everyone does... I took 9th at my first Melee tournament out of 50+ people, but literally got 4-stocked a couple times when I reached ViperBoy and then Tink... there's huge skill gaps between the casuals and competitives).

ice-

Smash Journeyman

There have been 4-5 tournments within 2 hours of Fort Wayne in the last 6 months :/
Not to mention there were smashfest's at AC's/Saint Francais for the better part of 9 months, so its not like people are inactive around you. There will prob be another in July and I know Mrobison is hosting one soon as well. Show up to these events and then you can evaluate were you are at.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
There's really no reason why he shouldn't be in. For one thing his posting style, specifically towards newer members should count for him rather than against him, though obviously shouldn't be openly encouraged.
Yeah! Arrogant and in most cases offensive ftw?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I'm going to take a guess and say asking to get in is exactly how not to get in.

It's not like being in the SBR is the goal of everybody on the forums. I'd rather be a mindless lemming and go with whatever they say, to be honest.

Sliq

Smash Master
Yeah! Arrogant and in most cases offensive ftw?
If I was the world's best surgeon, would you decline me doing a very risky operation on you because I'm kind of an *******?

No, you wouldn't. You wouldn't care if I'm a ****. It has no relevance on my ability and knowledge.

GG NO RE.

AlexX

Smash Ace
It has been historically proven that new people are inferior to veterans. Many, many times.
Doesn't mean veterans are immune to doing moronic things, though. Granted, they're a lot less likely to, but I've seen people with 3000+ posts say stupid things before.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If I was the world's best surgeon, would you decline me doing a very risky operation on you because I'm kind of an *******?

No, you wouldn't. You wouldn't care if I'm a ****. It has no relevance on my ability and knowledge.

GG NO RE.
At least I know you wouldn't john if you sneezed and sliced open my aorta.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it

Liking House? ;)

Doesn't mean veterans are immune to doing moronic things, though. Granted, they're a lot less likely to, but I've seen people with 3000+ posts say stupid things before.
Post count =/ veterancy. Really, I spend hours reading this board before I joined and even longer before I first posted, just because I knew people were better. So my post count is still incredibly low, but whenever I go into a serious discussion, it's mostly a tl;dr post.

Please note the word serious, I also make jokes, jokes are mostly short posts.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Post count has nothing to do with veteran status. Tournament experience and tournament performance have everything to do with it.

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Don't be so naive as to think your the first person to come along and challenge the established players. Many before you have come and fallen. MANY. I'm talking like, A LOT of people.

*sigh* As stated several times, I have NOT under any circumstances come in saying "Haw haw haw, I'm ready to kick some "Top Player" ***!" And honestly, how many times do I have to tell people that insulting is quite rude? Eh, whatever, guess some people don't learn, huh? It's cool, it's cool, I'm over it. But uh, yeah... I'm not saying I'm a Brawling machine, I don't believe anyone is. Regardless of how many special tricks and flashy names people make up and stick on characters, after a while a person is bound to peak out, and when that person is peaked, other people have a chance to catch up. Tactics can be easily read at times, and even the mighty have a chance, no matter how slight, to be vanquished at the hands of a less "qualified" player. I still don't get what all of the hubub is just because some hot shot won some tourney. Heck sometimes person even wins because of pure dumb LUCK. (I'm sure that last bit's gonna come back to bite me on the *** with all of the people saying "You haven't won any tourneys so you are a noob! These "Top Players" will destroy you!") (Oh, and by the way, I honestly haven't HEARD of any tourneys around here. If I hear of one, and it fits in my schedule, then I'll gladly join. ^^)

Why am I so alone in this? ._.'

fkacyan

Smash Hero
- You're wrong.
- This is the interweb. Study Penny Arcade's Law.
- People aren't 'some hot shots' for winning 'some tourney.' Honestly, your ignorance is terrible.
- Not many people are likely to agree with a May '08 poster.
- LERN2PARAGRAPH PLZ.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Did you ever see the Zero Punctuation review of Brawl? I'm going to steal a term from it that I'm sure resonates with many people here. Likely the majority of the people on the boards are That Guy. The guy who is better than all his friends. The best of his group. The guy that thinks he can take anyone, regardless of their skill. The guy who, whenever he meets someone around him claiming to be good, jumps at the chance for to beat that other person. The guy who watches videos of pros and thinks "Man, I can take him out" or "Why would they put this video on fast forward?"

Most of us here were That Guy once. I was once. You still are. Hell, I once placed pretty well at a tournament before I had even heard of SWF. And you know what I found out much later? That tournament was full of scrubs. I sucked. The reason everyone is coming down so hard on you is because they all believe, likely correctly, that you are still That Guy. Its certainly not a bad thing at all. But its definitely something that will change soon enough.

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Well SamuraiPanda, nicely put. Congrats on disagreeing with me with a mature, clam, and understanding tone. First one in 78 posts. (Has it really gotten that high? Guess so!) You know what? You are partly right, your description of "That Guy". I'm pretty much tops in my group of friends. I think I'm pretty okay. And yeah, I even watched a pro fight in a tourney and thought to myself "Wow, that doesn't look THAT great". But you know what? I do not, under any circumstances, believe that I am the top! I know I'll lose! I've lost before on many occasions. I'll lose again. Everyone's lost, and everyone's won. That's a fact of life. Honestly, I have faced quite a few people on here already (In a ratio of my time on here to me fighting people, of course) and honestly, most of the time I have emerged victorious. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exceptional when it comes to fighting online, for some of my techniques require a perciseness that I personally cannot seem to get online. Some people learn to work around it. I so far have not. However, I have lost too. I have found a few other players who are good.

Ah... honestly, I don't even know what I'm fighting for anymore. Perhaps I have just taken the position of a cornerned wild beast. With all of the strange new faces peering down and jeering at the strange new animal, I now have my metaphorical hackles raised, just fighting for a little bit of respect. I post this knowing that, before someone else says something intelligent in an at least somewhat-kind manner, it may be another 78 posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom