• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
I don't see the Zap Jump up there. There's a youtube video showing it well. As Lucas, it works best if L is set to jump and the C Stick is set to special. Jump, then at the same time, jump and use your PK fire. You should jump really really high.
It's not called a zap-jump, it uses a mechanic that a few other characters can benefit from as well by setting your C-stick to special. Thus, B-sticking, because 'special' is normally set to 'B'. There are a couple of threads a little lower down the page that describe the technique, and link to the Lucas videos.

S623

Smash Apprentice
No, no, Nemireck. He's talking about zap-jumping not b-sticking. Zap-jumping consists of jumping, hitting PK Fire at the same time as your second jump, and you gain vertical distance.

B-Sticking is almost the same thing, but with horizontal distance.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
His point is that the more damaged you are, the longer it takes to break free. Not that you can mash the joystick around to break free. Or are you saying the mechanic he's pointing out doesn't WORK because you can wiggle out of a grab quickly no matter how damaged you are? Either you didn't read his post properly, or you haven't been clear enough in your reply.
That's also been known for years, and IIRC inhale isn't affected by damage(it's the same amount of button mashing at 0% than at 200%), while all other grabs are.

Damax

Smash Lord
His point is that the more damaged you are, the longer it takes to break free. Not that you can mash the joystick around to break free. Or are you saying the mechanic he's pointing out doesn't WORK because you can wiggle out of a grab quickly no matter how damaged you are? Either you didn't read his post properly, or you haven't been clear enough in your reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah like the other said: THIS IS A ****ING OLD MECHANIC. welcome back in 1999 it was in SSB it was in SSBM and it is in SSBB.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now translation for you newbies: it was in super smash brothers, it was in super smash brothers: melee, and it is in super smash brothers brawl.
and finally you haven't read carefully and didn't read all his post, I assume you read between the lines so I'm hoping those line helped you

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
This is the jump-canceled throw. Its different from the glide toss.Its the jump-canceled throw. Before you disregard it as the glide toss, think. You can't roll while dashing, so this is not a glide toss. Diddy makes a noise when he jumps, that noise is heard when I jump-cancel throw. Its great if someone is chasing you and you need to get them off your back. It is also AMAZING to dash-dance into. Oh, and it works with all chars and all items as far as I know. You need to dash, jump, and throw to do this. At the end, i show the controller. Please note that I use the Zr button to jump, not to shield/roll. So its, dash-jump and then right away throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGdgbrPcbY

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if this was posted already, But this will make Happy those FOX and FALCO users as it did for me.

You can still perform the double laser, aerial down or any aerial smash while getting back on stage from the edge. and as i repeat, if it was already posted well i guess im late if not, ill post later a vid of me doing those on brawl.

sLibs

Smash Cadet
I have been playing brawl since it came out in japan on my pal wii, which is awesome seeing as im in australia and i have noticed something with grabs, that it does have Super Armor Frames but there not THAT useful. Im sure that everyone has them but i havent got around to testing it because, why would i? lol. Anyway i play with ike alot and my friend plays yoshi/zss and sometimes wen i do my fair or 3xjab he grabs me and jus as i go in his mouth it hits and you "see" the blow and he gets the damage but does not get affected in any other way, I still get grabbed. I thought this should be in here seeing as it falls under game physics. I call this the slibs-armour...LOL joke i dont post to get my name in here ie. craqwalk. Anyway let me know if anyone has additional information about this, as i said it's not useful in a sense but more "luck" but i'd like to here from the community, peace!

GofG

Smash Champion
You guys need to check the Compendium of Lucas Advanced Techniques thread on the Lucas boards. We already have 4 different ways of wavedashing, and 1 recovery glitch that allows infinite vertical recovery anywhere.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Using SamuraiPanda's technique of assigning the C-stick to specials - "B-stick" - I've found there are some interesting applications for Link and Toon Link. Panda's technique where you move backward while doing a side special forward works really well with Link/Toon Link's boomerang and arrows.

I've posted them here - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154774 - but here's a paste of the new info:

-Boomerang Bouncing. This is a term I made up, if it's not an appropriate name for the technique, by all means call it something else. This applies to both Link and Toon Link. Basically, it's a way to bounce backwards in midair while throwing your boomerang forward. This is very hard to pull off without a B-stick but quite trivial with one. Simply hold forward with the left stick and tap back with the B stick. You then start moving backwards and can then direct the boomerang with the left stick.

Try short hopping at your opponent and boomerang bouncing a downward boomerang at them. They'll prepare for an aerial and will assume you'll land nearby, but instead you land a safe distance away and they have a boomerang to deal with.

-You can also do the same maneuver with the bow - I call this Arrow Bouncing - instead of the boomerang. However, this is hard to pull off because B-sticking a neutral B is tricky. It's the same maneuver but instead of pushing back on the B-stick, push it diagonally back and up or down, and only nudge it halfway to the edge. This tells the game to do a neutral B - an uncharged arrow - and you'll get the same bounce back effect as a boomerang bounce.

Without the B stick, you can Boomerang Bounce while jumping forwards by Side-Bing backwards and IMMEDIATELY pushing the left stick forward before tha animation starts. To Arrow Bounce, push back, then press B with the left stick in the neutral position and then immediately mash it forwards. I would like to stress how difficult this is to pull off without a B-stick.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
umm...two things.

(sorry if these MIGHT have been posted before..)

1) Peach can also chain grab.

grab-->dash-->grab-->dash

I personally think its VERY effective.

and on another note, id finish the last grab with a throw in the oposite direction with a quick follow up with the peach bomber.

..i call the whole combo "PI" (peach ignition ) :laugh:

2) peaches "random heart" attack isnt so random, just hold up on the stick when your on the ground and press A.

the heart attack replaces peaches headbutt from mellee.( although you guys problably knew. :) )

oh yeah and guys,

anyone have any tips on the sliding glide throw?

Jump, stall down, shield, throw right?

(i cant seem to get it...)

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
The DLX hit cancel is just BS.
It's just normal cancel frames found in any fighting game.

edit: Seemed like my browser reposted this when I opened it today.
Oh well. : (

Nixis

Smash Cadet
freaking awesome thread. ppl work fast to find new techs, probably so they can name it after themselves...

anyway, i know im gonna sound like a n00b but... what's b-stick?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
freaking awesome thread. ppl work fast to find new techs, probably so they can name it after themselves...

anyway, i know im gonna sound like a n00b but... what's b-stick?
It's a term for setting the C-stick to do specials in your controller config.

Useful for all charcaters who have a useful reverse aerial rush, and allows link and toon link to boomerang bounce and arrow bounce. Snake lucas ike and others can also benefit tremendously from B-sticking away from the jump direction.

See here for Panda's thread about it: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152409

and my thread about its applications: link and toon link's boomerang/arow bouncing: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154774

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
B stick works extremely well for ZSS from what I see.

Link and toon link, link and lucas also work well for it as well.

I have a sort of guide for it here. It also can be done without changing the c stick though. I explained how in my guide. Credit to Samurai Panda of course.

Particularly B stick Side B and B stick UP B has some good uses for ZSS.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154740

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
rename dlx-cancel to something non masturbatory please
i.e. dash cancel
or some such thing
thank you

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Me and my friend do it all the time. Just run and press A and c stick Up. I usually just spamming c stick up and running A.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
That Snake Wavedash is crazy, amazing find. Definitely going to have to thinking of a cool name for that but the only thing that comes in my head is Blitz. =P

Damax

Smash Lord
That Snake Wavedash is crazy, amazing find. Definitely going to have to thinking of a cool name for that but the only thing that comes in my head is Blitz. =P
its not an mazing find, its known since japanese release arround here?

Its already named DLX cancel. -_- obviously its a temporary name, hell I don't even call it that way.

Blitz sounds ********.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if someone said this.

As Ike, once you get a decent amount of damage on your opponent, metor smash your opponent into the ground (if they are stand there). Once you land your opponent should still be flying giving you the perfect set-up for an up smash.

KyonAF

Smash Rookie
i made this account quite some time ago, but this is my first time actually using it. so to start off id just like to say hi to everyone.

anyways, i havent got a chance to read all 48 pages in this thread just yet... so my apologies if im repeating anything.

anyways, we all know about samus' bomb recovery in melee. (im not sure if its still around for brawl) but i wasnt really a samus user, and i wasnt always successful when using it, but i noticed in brawl that just using her B-down on an angle towards the stage worgs for a slight lift in your recovery.

i dont know of many yoshi users, but i was just playing around in brawl mode, when i was using yoshi, i didnt like how his recovery was... but i noticed that after you do his flutter jump. you can use his B-up (the egg toss) to give you a lift (not a big one, but its a lift) and is helpful with recovery. i think i was only able to use it twice in a row, unfortunately it doesnt work more then that (unless you wait just a little less that a second, then you can do it again)

try it out, let me know if it works. if it hasnt already been discovered, then we can call it "Egg Recovery"

im not really a samus user or a yoshi user, so i'll let the people who can use them decide whether its helpful or not

Thanks for reading

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
VERY IMPORTANT!
I've never seen anything like it before...
my friend, DJRand, found it just now, and i can see that it's very, very new!!

1. Normal Jump up
2. Land, starting the landing animation.
3. When this animation starts, press *up A*
4. This will result in another double jump, without doing the first jump. (like mario64)
5. Timing is key in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaT69M7d64

This isn't looked into enough, but we will post new findings very soon!
Post any information, flames, hugs and kisses about this on this thread. Thanks!

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
^above post wow that's really cool i'm going to try this out..... and have you confirmed this with all characters or is it character specific?

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Alright, I don't really wanna go back through all the pages and read, so if someone already posted this I'm sorry.

As people have been tinkering around w/ brawl, someone came across the shield-drop technique (you can just let go of your shield and do any attack out of it).

When you combine this with the idea behind a dashing-shield grab, but replace the grab w/ an attack, you get something reminiscent of a wavedash (in terms of having standing momentum and being able to do any attack).

Basically, you just dash and when the dashing animation finishes you shield-drop and then follow up with any attack. I have tried it with a few characters, but the ones that I found it to be great with are those that have good tilts/smashes (i.e. DDD, Shiek, Samus, etc.).

This isn't ground breaking, but it certainly does add another level of manuverability to the game.

EDIT: Not to say that this is limited to A-moves, you can dash-shield drop into a charged shot or needles or a waddle dee.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Why the **** is it called DLX cancel =\

I found that **** out before him, so there's no reason why it should be named after him, but that's only slightly the point. If anything it should just be called a combo or a link, because that's what it is. Dash A links/combos into Up smash. Simple as that. If you've ever played any other **** fighting game like street fighter, simple combos integrated in the game aren't named after someone who found it out(rather by someone who didn't even find it first in the first place).

I hoenstly don't care about who found it first or not, I just think it shouldn't be named after someone, especially with a name like "DLX." How stupid is that?

And good lord, why RAR... That **** sounds stupid, too.Just call it reverse jumping like I SAID. I'm hearing RAR everywhere now and it sounds so lame...

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I recently discovered that with Pit, you can increase the time you can keep your bow drawn by repeatedly pressing up (or backwards and forwards, though this seems less effective.) Basically the time you're allowed to have his bow drawn does not pass while he is adjusting his bow to another angle. Therefore if you are perpetually raising and lowering the bow, you can keep the bow drawn for a loooong time. Call it, -I don't know- "Bow Stalling."

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Why the **** is it called DLX cancel =\

I found that **** out before him, so there's no reason why it should be named after him, but that's only slightly the point. If anything it should just be called a combo or a link, because that's what it is. Dash A links/combos into Up smash. Simple as that. If you've ever played any other **** fighting game like street fighter, simple combos integrated in the game aren't named after someone who found it out(rather by someone who didn't even find it first in the first place).

I hoenstly don't care about who found it first or not, I just think it shouldn't be named after someone, especially with a name like "DLX." How stupid is that?

And good lord, why RAR... That **** sounds stupid, too.Just call it reverse jumping like I SAID. I'm hearing RAR everywhere now and it sounds so lame...
Reverse Aerial Rush.
>.>
<.< RAR is shorter, and makes more sense. In what other way would you use it other than to rush the opponent?
-DD

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Reverse aerial rush isn't it just a dash attack? Reverse reminds me of contrary. whats the contrary of running in with an aerial? running away with no aerial?
ummm no, it's not a dash attack.

Also, reverse can imply being in the opposite state or position that you were just currently in. For this, you can think of it as reversing your direction (turning around).

Anyways, RAR is a fine acronym, and it's easy to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom