• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Pokemon analysis and Moveset Disscussion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Holy crap, I lurk this forum for months without posting and it's dead the entire time and then the day after I come back a competitive thread gets 60+ posts in like an hour. Good ****.

Should've been called Steelorax Room III IMO.
Steel Lorax
Starring Danny DeVito
Coming to theatres 2013

Merits of Quagsire vs. Swampert vs. Gastrodon

go
Quagsire
+Water Absorb
+Unaware
+Curse
+Yawn
-Crappy attacking stats
-Crappy attacking movepool
-Worst special bulk
-Looks ********

Gastrodon
+Storm Drain
+Best SpA
+Arguably best special bulk
-Worst physical bulk
-Looks ********

Swampert
+Stealth Rock
+Roar
+Most balanced overall stats, especially for attacking
-Crappy abilities
-No recovery option aside from Resttalk
-Attacking options are pointless to discuss if you're talking about its worth in relation to Quagsire and Gastrodon
-"i herd u liek mudkips" was never funny
-Looks ********

Holy ****, Toxicroak doesn't learn Focus Punch. Not sure if I should be disappointed or happy.
He doesn't really need it, unless you run a non-boosting sub set of Focus Punch/Drain Punch/Sucker Punch. I guess you could run Focus Punch over Drain Punch but then you're not healing 40% of your health per turn.

Zuruzukin (Scrafty in English)
I still call him Pantslizard. And I always will.

What are everybody's feelings about Dragonite? I feel like he's far better than Gen IV Salamence ever was.
I hate Dragonite. He's way more powerful than Mence ever was. Chomp would be a good semi-counter for him, but I doubt Smogon will unban him.

Moreso than that, I just don't like Multiscale in general. If you guys think Dragonite is bad with Multiscale, wait until Lugia gets it (IF he gets it). Multiscale Lugia is such a gigantic pain in the ***. They took one of the best special walls in the game and gave him an ability that negates a lot of his physical weakness, so the only way to deal with him is phazing, Toxic, or Zekrom, and if he runs substitute you can't do Toxic.

It's ****ing crazy. Dream World Ubers is ****ing crazy. That's why I love it so much.

Wasn't umbreon in Gen IV OU as well?
Sometimes. I remember him switching from OU to UU periodically depending on usage stats.

Multiscale seems...jaded. If Stealth Rock is up... :c
Stealth Rock is not much of an issue if the pokemon in question is fast enough to recover the health before your opponent can attack you, which Lugia can almost always do and Dragonite can sometimes do if he forces a switch.

You can also put Dragonite in the lead position with Lum Berry. Then you can get a free DD no matter what your opponent does (except Taunt I guess, but then you can just attack) since you'll instantly recover status and you'll take half damage from any attack. Yes, this is an actual thing that people do.

Hey Gates, what's up?
lol hi.

The only reason Skarm is still viable because it has a Dragon Resist and is the most physically Bulky wall in the game.

:/
That's always why Skarm has been viable. Ever since Gen III when they started making actual dragon moves.

Would people stack their teams with Skarmory / Ferrothorn / Scizor though? Seems like it'd just be begging for some Fire-type to des--who am I kidding Fire-types suck.
Heatran.

Although you could run Skarm/Ferrothorn/Scizor/Heatran. While you're at it you can throw in Jirachi as a special wall and Metagross or Lucario (OR STEELIX) to sweep and hand out the Mineral Badge to people when they beat you.

Is 2Mag4Drag still semi-viable? If anything it seems more viable since Lati@s offers special sweeping options. There's also the fact that Wobbuffet is not Uber anymore and can act as a pseudo-trapper in the same vein as the 2Mag. I'm considering Dragonite, Mence, Latios, Magnezone, Magneton, and Wobb and calling it 3Drag2Mag1F*g.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not as good as SD RockGem TKon. It even breaks through Gliscor, which is his so called "counter".

magdrag is still extremely powerful. Doesn't work as well a 5drag1mag tho

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is what I meant by "put HP Ice on any physical sweeper" earlier.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
6drag is my favorite team. And then SMOGON ****ING STOLE IT AND PUT IT IN THE ****ING SMOG I DID IT LIKE THREE YEARS AGO DRACOING METEORING EVERYTHING ****

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Virizion is a strong rain counter and works well against sand too, strong poke. Cobalion has his niche but not as good.

I once put hp:ice on breloom then wondered why the **** I wasnt used virizion

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Has Speed Boost Blaziken been released from Dream World yet? I remember seeing it every other battle where it'd just Baton Pass with Speed Boost and Swords Dance and destroy everything.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah, that was released. Then it got banned.

Stop Ninjaing me.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Dream World.

Baton Pass on Blaziken in OU is an illegal combination, since BP in an Egg move and the Dw Torchic were Male

So, I wonder if the new Kyurem forms will manage a way to break out of being Ubers in BL.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
DW assumes every Pokemon gets a full release, aka Female Torchic so you can breed down Speed Boost Baton Pass Torchics.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well this was a fun social experiment.
Good bye Pokemon Center, good luck with your activity problems!
Oh boy, more cryptic messages and underhanded stuff instead of actual communication.

If anybody actually wants to tell me what was the deal with this thing (and here I was just thinking you guys had figured out a good way to have a semi-social thread), it would be appreciated. But of course I know that's not going to happen.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'm not going to read through however many posts have been made, but how does 5th gen stack up to 4th (and 3rd) gen? Worth getting into?

I have a couple months of nothing to do but replay old jrpgs

not that there's anything wrong with that, but

hi aizen

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm not going to read through however many posts have been made, but how does 5th gen stack up to 4th (and 3rd) gen? Worth getting into?
In-game? It's about the same I think. It still has the same gym leader/evil team/elite 4/battle tower structure that every game has had since like Emerald.

Competitive? Most people in the PC are not fans of it because the power creep is ridiculous due many Gen V pokemon being ******** good (Ferrothorn, Haxorus, genies, etc.) and several old pokemon getting ridiculous new abilities (Poison Heal Gliscor, Multiscale Dragonite, and most notably Drought Ninetales and Drizzle Politoed). The OU metagame in particular is centered heavily around weather and dragons, which basically means it's like the Uber metagame only the pokemon in the tier are less versatile. The power creep is so crazy that Mew has dropped all the way down to UU because a base 600 that can learn every TM is just not good enough anymore. It's crazy.

On the other hand, Pink Reaper is the only person on earth who plays Gen IV anymore, so if you want to play competitively then Gen V is your only real option.

EDIT: PoliTOED has Drizzle, not PoliWHIRL. I forgot which Poli is was, just that it wasn't Wrath or Wag.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Which is pretty sad really. Gen IV is probably as close to perfection, competitively, that we'll ever see from Pokemon.

In fact, whenever I do play Gen V I just play stuff that was in Gen IV OU. Nothing in Gen V feels right to use for some strange reason.

****ting on people with Flygon feels so good.

Also this thread really makes me miss old PC. :(

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Gen IV only ended up pretty "balanced" near its end, though. BW has only been around for a little over a year.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Okay so I've been wanting to use Dragonite over Salamence and/or Haxorus for awhile now but I cant figure out in what way Dragonite is better. Any tips/suggestions?
Multiscale SubRoost
Multiscale Sub DD
Multiscale Bulky DD
Multiscale Aggro DD
Multiscale RoostTail
Multiscale CB
Multiscale SD
Multiscale Scarf
Multiscale Specs
Multiscale Agility
Multiscale Wrap

Do you see a pattern here?