• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Pokemon analysis and Moveset Disscussion

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So someone tell me what's been going on with the competitive scene, I've been quite out of it for some time. Is Drizzle still OP? Is Garchomp banned? That sort of stuff.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why the **** would you use Swampert.

Stealth Rock or Specslol I guess, but seriously.

I mean either like **** up most boosting sweepers or like **** up rain vs 2HKO bait w/ Rocks.

@Tery
Drizzle is meh. Garchomp is B&. Everything is a ****.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Rain will always be good, Thunder, Hurricane, Dry Skin, Rain Dish, boosted Water moves and weakened Fire moves.

PS Hurricane is dumb

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
@Tery
Drizzle is meh. Garchomp is B&. Everything is a ****.
Does Smogon still have the rule where you can't use Drizzle and Swift Swim or whatever? What's all the rage right now in OU?

I use Quagsire because Quagsire is the best - Water Absorb + Curse + Recover. Besides, Swampert and Gastrodon are butt ugly.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why are all the water types so bulky ;-;

Also Toxicroak is single handedly the best ever. So worth it using rain for him.

Drizzle SWSW is banned still because that would make rain just be the only viable thing to run again lol

Riddle

Smash Lord
Ferrothorn is still pretty damn good. His only problem is that if you don't build your team right or use him right than he loses you ****loads of momentum.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Ferrothorn is still pretty damn good. His only problem is that if you don't build your team right or use him right than he loses you ****loads of momentum.
I'm guessing you mean that it's easy to force switches against Ferrothorn?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Rule #0 of Ferrothorn- Use TWave on Ferrothorn
Rule #1 of Ferrothorn- When you switch in with Ferrothorn, you thunder wave the first turn you're in. No exceptions.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Toxicroak has multiple sources of priority abuse, right? Kinda like a stronger Hitmontop with a Water-type immunity? Is Thundurus still really good? I heard something like potentially banning iit from Smogon a while back?

So if Drizzle + Swift Swim abuse is still out, is Sun semi-viable?

Riddle

Smash Lord
Ferrothorn is a pretty free switch in for almost anything and so you're in danger of getting set-up on if you play him wrong.

Thundurus is in fact now banned along with chomp, excadrill, and deo-s

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Toxicroak only runs Sucker Punch as priority. I think you might be thinking of Croagunk.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Toxicroak might have a lot of priority, but his Sub/Bulk Up/Drain Punch/Sucker Punch set with Dry Skin/lefties in rain... You recover 18% a turn, with 25%, bulk up boosted Subs, and Drain Punch to heal you further. You also resist the only special priority, and resist or are immune to most physical priority. Pretty cool.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Huh. So Sandstorm is relatively similar to what happened in Generation IV.

Little Cup. The metagame where anything that runs Hidden Power Ice is viable. Although that was more or less Generation IV, too.

I remember a lovely character from the beginnings of Generation V by the name of Zuruzukin (I don't know the English names). How does he fare now by this point in the metagame?

Riddle

Smash Lord
@Ulti That set seems like a problem for bulky offense and only nothing else. How does it setup against hyper offense? How does it do anything to stall?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Holy ****, Toxicroak doesn't learn Focus Punch. Not sure if I should be disappointed or happy.

Zuruzukin (Scrafty in English) still cool, amazing dual STAB, sufficiently good movepool, decent stats. He's vulnerable to phazing due to his low unboosted Attack, and his Fighting weakness is bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Zuruzukin aka Scrafty is, in a nutshell, the Electivire of this Generation. Not very good, but refuses to drop.

Riddle, it hurts Stall enough just be being a grounded Poison, and being able to force a switch against several walls with Substitute, its resists, Water immunity, and threat of bulking up. You gotta get rid of Skarm though, but Magnezone is soooooo good on Rain that doesn't really matter.

Against HO it does suffer, though.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Yeah skarm was what I was thinking of as far as Stall goes, though skarm doesn't really do **** to the rest of rain so I guess thats not a huge problem.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
What a shame, the best-looking Pokemon from Generation V that I've ever seen.

What about Rankurusu? I remember a Smogcast where discussions were held on it's broken-ness (or non-broken-ness). How is Rankurusu doing? I'd imagine bulky Ferrothorn and Blissey wall to some extent, but Calm Mind + Focus Blast is scary, even with 70% accuracy.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's still pretty ****ing good. It's just not as scary once people figured out how to deal with it (aka Scizor).

Riddle

Smash Lord
Rankurusu (Reuniclus) is like the best thing ever. TR Reuniclus is particularly scary fight now.

Basically only Tyranitar, Scizor, and SDef Jirachi counter that ****.

What are everybody's feelings about Dragonite? I feel like he's far better than Gen IV Salamence ever was.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Worst Pokemon to ever be in Gen IV OU: Ninjask vs. Electivire vs. Weavile

Discuss

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I would be the type of person to run something like Trick + Flame Orb just to completely destroy Scizor and Tyranitar on the switch or something. But then again I wouldn't be playing OU to begin with.

Worst Pokemon to ever be in Gen IV OU: Ninjask vs. Electivire vs. Weavile

Discuss
Umbreon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's because DNite IS far better than Gen IV Salamence ever could hope to be.

And yeah, Umbreon was OU. So Third for him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh ****, totally forgot Umbreon was a Pokemon, sorry Mow

But anyway Umbreon sucks

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Don't worry Mow probably thinks Umbreon was the worst Pokemon in Gen IV OU too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Multiscale seems...jaded. If Stealth Rock is up... :c

But I suppose anything is better than Inner Focus lol.

How about Landorosu? Anywhere near as good as Thundurus?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They had a Vote with DNite in it once.

Among the 5 Pokemon in that vote, DNite got lowest % ban at 15%.

Then again, we saw what happened to Excadrill. 5 very clear no bans in a row, then a Supermajority

Edit: Landorus is good, very close to Thundurus good.

I don't think he'll be banned though. Frankly, Thundurus shouldn't have been banned either, so my opinion clearly is a moot point here.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Has Smogon ever considered banning Stealth Rock? I don't think I followed them very closely at the beginning of DPP.

Anyway, Smogon should ban Stealth Rock because it'd be funny

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I was asked to post, so here I am.

Dnite is super ****, mainly because he works pretty swell with volt turn. He's also a great noob check because you HAVE to run Stealth Rock or you've pretty much lost.

Only reason Skarm is still viable is because it counters 3 of the main threats, Dnite, Scizor and Landorus. Discuss.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Only reason Skarm is still viable is because hes the best pokemon ever.

He's easily the best physical wall, spiker, AND phaser in all of OU. His only problem is that damn electric weakness.

Top Bottom