• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Collision 2024 Top 32

Winner's

Tweek:ultdiddy: vs Onin:ultsteve:
Riddles:ultkazuya: vs Maister:ultgnw:
Light:ultfox: vs Marss:ultzss:
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Kola:ultroy::ultcloud:
Sparg0:ultcloud: vs Peabnut:ultmegaman:
Sinji:ultpacman: vs MuteAce:ultpeach:
Zomba:ultrob: vs Lima:ultbayonetta1:
SHADIC:ultcorrinf: vs Jakal:ultwolf:

Loser's
omega:ultjoker: vs Tilde:ultfalco:
Jake:ultsteve: vs Atomic:ultrob:
ChunkyKong:ultdk: vs WebbJP:ultsheik:
Supahsemmie:ultyounglink: vs Beastly:ultdiddy:
Cosmos:ultmythra: vs Alo!:ultzelda:
Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph::ultminmin vs Monte:ultgnw:
Chag:ultpalutena::ultminmin vs Talking Ben (Syrup):ultsteve:
IcyMist:ultsamus: vs DDee:ultsteve:

All the non-Acola top level Steves decided to roll up on this event at once, but Onin is the only one still alive in winner's.
We have a very stacked winner's side with killers all over the place.

NairWizard

Somewhere
What a sick top 32. I think Tweek or SHADIC win this one with the way they've been playing lately, but it's super hard to call.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
ITSUKUSHIMA #3 results (B+ Tier)

1. acola :ultsteve: :ultpyra:
2. Umeki :ultdaisy:
3. Yaura :ultsamus:
4. Snow :ultmario: :ultpyra:
5. Taikei :ultsonic:
5. Neo :ultcorrinf:
7. Omuatsu :ultminmin
7. Asimo :ultryu:
9. Jogibu :ultfalcon:
9. Niyae :ultsteve:
9. Futari No Kiwami Ah~! :ulticeclimbers:
9. Gorioka :ultjoker:
13. Hero :ultbowser: :ultcorrin: :ultsnake:
13. Tora :ultike:
13. Kaninabe :ultfox:
13. Naocha :ultdiddy: :ultwendy:

Acola wins his third ranked event without dropping a single set at any of them, looking to be #1 yet again.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Assorted thoughts:

• SHADIC is a tale as old as time.
    • "talented young swordie main has meteoric rise to top"
    • My guess (with, let's say 55% odds) is that SHADIC takes the tournament. This is still part of his rise, and Corrin counterplay is the worst it's been in a long time. In addition, all of the players left in winners side don't play the Corrin MU optimally, though sparg0 is improving.
  • Surprised Neo lost to Snow; Mario is the reason I even picked up Corrin years ago. Snow is just that good I guess.
    • Speaking of Corrin counterplay, that was pretty beautiful, avoiding Corrin's kill setups using Mario's mobility.
  • acola's sets are impressive, still think he's gonna be #1 this year as long as he dodges sparg0/Sonix most of the time (he only needs to surprise sparg0 one time and take one tournament over him and he's good).
  • Tweek getting silently double-eliminated by Steve is pain, but there are concrete things he can do to improve in the MU.
    • I do not think Cloud is the answer, that matchup isn't that bad for Steve and it would take a lot of effort to overcome the top Steves with a secondary Cloud.
    • Sephiroth might be OK, but Tweek does need to be more aggressive than he currently is. Passive Sephiroth just loses to Steve.
  • Roy is still great/broken/strong and I hate that we tie results to valuation so deeply. If you just look at the tools you can see that Roy can win any matchup just fine, and has a lot of room to develop. Killing raw from neutral at 35% with the mobility of Mythra and a disjoint (no matter how small) can't be bad.
  • People are really putting Cloud over Roy on their tier lists just because sparg0 is so good. I'm with Zackray on this one: I don't think Cloud is as good as people think. People just very wrongly focus on his recovery. In truth, Cloud's recovery is just fine; it's his neutral and aerial disadvantage that you can exploit. sparg0 has pushed both of those very far, so it's easier said than done, of course.
    • Cloud is sort of similar to Palutena, really. They both play the game in kind of the same way. Palutena has a better recovery, but Cloud has a stronger advantage state. A sparg0-level Palutena would absolutely shake up the meta a ton.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
  • People are really putting Cloud over Roy on their tier lists just because sparg0 is so good. I'm with Zackray on this one: I don't think Cloud is as good as people think. People just very wrongly focus on his recovery. In truth, Cloud's recovery is just fine; it's his neutral and aerial disadvantage that you can exploit. sparg0 has pushed both of those very far, so it's easier said than done, of course.
    • Cloud is sort of similar to Palutena, really. They both play the game in kind of the same way. Palutena has a better recovery, but Cloud has a stronger advantage state. A sparg0-level Palutena would absolutely shake up the meta a ton.
This is similar to what I was saying about G&W. I do think Cloud is really good but usually it's just Spargo carrying him. This time Kola also used him but that usually isn't the case.

On the subject of Palutena: I also think she's top tier strong. Palu is one of those characters that feel like the devs just gave her everything. Great neutral with zone breaking projectiles, great advantage state with a huge Nair and Uair and a great disadvantage state because upB teleports any direction and is lagless. Her only real weakness is that her damage and kill power aren't as outrageous as other top tiers. It makes me wonder how she would have done in the meta if Nairo wasn't banned.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
My guess (with, let's say 55% odds) is that SHADIC takes the tournament. This is still part of his rise, and Corrin counterplay is the worst it's been in a long time. In addition, all of the players left in winners side don't play the Corrin MU optimally, though sparg0 is improving.
SHADIC does well vs Onin and Kola, but Sparg0 will be really difficult. If he can beat Sparg0 then his chances of winning are really good. If he loses to Sparg0 then he might lose to Light for 5th (although it's entirely possible that he'll beat Light, he's come close several times before). I don't think Corrin counter-play is bad at this point, maybe it was in 2023 but now people have learned how to deal with the character (mostly). Both the Jakal set and the Lima set were incredibly close.

Roy is still great/broken/strong and I hate that we tie results to valuation so deeply. If you just look at the tools you can see that Roy can win any matchup just fine, and has a lot of room to develop. Killing raw from neutral at 35% with the mobility of Mythra and a disjoint (no matter how small) can't be bad.
I don't think anyone has said Roy isn't good, but the question is how good; are we thinking top tier good or high tier good? This tournament was a really impressive run from Kola and he's been showing in 2024 that he's a strong player yet again. Roy certainly has a good amount of flaws, but the character's ability to secure a kill early from a neutral win or from a ledgetrap should not be underestimated.

Tweek getting silently double-eliminated by Steve is pain, but there are concrete things he can do to improve in the MU.
  • I do not think Cloud is the answer, that matchup isn't that bad for Steve and it would take a lot of effort to overcome the top Steves with a secondary Cloud.
  • Sephiroth might be OK, but Tweek does need to be more aggressive than he currently is. Passive Sephiroth just loses to Steve.
I think picking up Cloud would be too much of an effort for Tweek at this point in time. He might be better off working on his Sephiroth, or trying to make it work with Diddy. The MU is quite bad for Diddy but it isn't impossible. His Sephiroth is currently not playing the MU right, though, as you mentioned. I think Scintilla is one of Sephiroth's better tools vs Steve, since it can make him really scared of using minecart. Even if he doesn't get any kills with Scintilla he can condition the Steves to not use minecart much.

This is similar to what I was saying about G&W.
Maister literally just made top 8 at this supermajor (and might keep on going). Monte also 3-0 Skyjay and took MuteAce to game 5. I'd say the character is at least top 10, and probably top 5. Strong in theory, strong in practice.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Maister literally just made top 8 at this supermajor (and might keep on going). Monte also 3-0 Skyjay and took MuteAce to game 5. I'd say the character is at least top 10, and probably top 5. Strong in theory, strong in practice.
I've said I think G&W is a top tier; I've said that for a long time. I just think Miya's a top 5 player and G&W is a top 10 character. People are acting like I said G&W was mid tier or something.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't think Corrin counter-play is bad at this point, maybe it was in 2023 but now people have learned how to deal with the character (mostly).
You think so? I think this is one of the worst-played MUs at top level. People are DIing the kill confirms/moves wrong (and why are we neutral getup'ing at n-air -> back-air confirm percents? Just take the grab or Pin or f-smash, it won't kill you), they are not respecting the correct threat range at all, and I think the most egregious thing is how they're tackling Pin counterplay. People play like Corrin has grounded Pin available in the air. When Corrin jumps, it is not as scary as it looks. You just have to play around falling f-air if she's facing forward and reverse up-air if she's facing away. And reverse up-air has a tendency to corner Corrin if she overuses it.

She can counterplay this with jump ambiguity but there is counterplay to that too -- unironically (and I try to say this with the least amount of perversion it's possible to make such a statement with, believe me), just watch her feet. It's the biggest tell about her jump direction.

Ultimate Corrin is very different from S4 and until recently lots of people just haven't cared about the matchup that much since there hasn't been much reason to. For some reason characters who were strong in S4 seem to experience weird counterplay peaks and valleys like this. Diddy Kong, Cloud, even Sheik to an extent. It's happening with Corrin too.

Kola, for example, plays this MU like it's -3 for Roy.

I don't think anyone has said Roy isn't good, but the question is how good; are we thinking top tier good or high tier good? This tournament was a really impressive run from Kola and he's been showing in 2024 that he's a strong player yet again. Roy certainly has a good amount of flaws, but the character's ability to secure a kill early from a neutral win or from a ledgetrap should not be underestimated.
It's really telling to me that of all the players who took breaks, Kola is the one who came back to form the fastest, even though his break was one of the longest. He came back and immediately went game 5 with sparg0's Aegis in a clearly losing MU.

You know why he didn't have to adjust his style much? Because Roy is just that good.

And as good as Kola is (very, very good of course), he's still playing Roy suboptimally. The dash dancing, the rush-in n-air in matchups where it's completely unnecessary... If he fixed up some of his neutral game he would be absolutely top 5. Roy's skill ceiling is crazy.

Roy's hardest matchups have historically been the Joker/Aegis archetype -- and Kola destroyed Cosmos, picked up a Leo win when Leo's Joker is the most polished it's ever been, just beat Light, and went game 5 with sparg0 at Miami. Roy has so much room for counterplay to every type of matchup; there is much more depth to his ground game than characters like Cloud have.

Roy is one of the few characters in the game who can condition you just by running at you. I value that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree Roy's really good. I've said this a million times but swords in general are really powerful. I don't think Roy's drop down the tier list last time was warranted. People act like when a character isn't used they magically get worse. Here's Kola proving Roy still has it.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Assorted thoughts:

• SHADIC is a tale as old as time.
    • "talented young swordie main has meteoric rise to top"
I was about to say that this has certainly happened quite a bit before. Not even just Leo and Sparg0 if you're looking at Smash games as a whole, but also Ken, Mew2King and Zain in Melee.

Rizen

Smash Legend
On the subject of Corrin, I was never a doubter but Corrin exceeded even my expectations. I think counterplay is inevitable for any character but Corrin's held on a lot longer than I thought she would. Corrin's definitely strong and Shadic really leveled up these past few months. Corrin's kind of like the new Roy.

It does make me wonder, why Corrin and not Cloud or Aegis? This is the kind of thing I attribute to flavor of the month. Corrin's the flavor. People play who they want to play, not who's the best otherwise everyone would use Steve, lol.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I was about to say that this has certainly happened quite a bit before. Not even just Leo and Sparg0 if you're looking at Smash games as a whole, but also Ken, Mew2King and Zain in Melee.

There's a good reason for this. There is a "swordie cult" that has been around since late Melee/early Brawl. Or perhaps cult is the wrong word for it? It's a mindset, a way of playing the game. Maybe you could call it The Way of the Sword.

If you were around in those days and you knew m2k (back when he was just "oovideogamegodoo" on AIM, there's a throwback), he would talk about the intricacies of patient disjoint abuse with Meta Knight in Brawl and Marth in Melee, with dozens of pages of notes. And then throughout the Brawl era you had theorists like Emblem Lord and Shaya preaching a certain style of playing Brawl Marth that reflected those same principles.

Leo talks about that style of thinking all the time. You ever watched him watch a Kola set and disparage Kola's gameplay? That's what he's referring to. The Way of the Sword.

Having set patterns and wisdom embodied in concrete, learnable principles for an entire archetype sets up a strong framework to incubate strong warriors -- then along comes Leo, and sparg0, and SHADIC, with their excellent reaction times and a love for sword characters, and magic happens.

You don't even have to see it in the gameplay, if you're not used to analyzing gameplay like I am. If you've listened to SHADIC talk about the differences between him and Neo, it's so obvious that he subscribes to the philosophy -- he is Way of the Sword, all the way.

And if you're wondering what is the Way of the Sword, it can be summarized with these principles:

• Don't take risks unless you have to.
  • Don't swing unless there's a purpose.
  • React, don't read.
  • Max space. Always.
  • Earn your jumps with movement.
  • Delay your aerial until the very last possible frame to mix up opponents.
  • Don't get hit.

SHADIC does all of that, and that's why I love SHADIC. I'm a diehard Way of the Sword guy since Smash 4. It's so beautiful when it works. Truly art.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Collision 2024

1st: Sparg0:ultcloud:
2nd: SHADIC:ultcorrinf:
3rd: Onin:ultsteve:
4th: Kola:ultroy::ultcloud:
5th: Light:ultfox:
5th: MuteAce:ultpeach:
7th: Maister:ultgnw:
7th: MkLeo:ultjoker:
9th: Zomba:ultrob:
9th: DDee:ultsteve:
9th: Lima:ultbayonetta1:
9th: Peabnut:ultmegaman:

13th: Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph::ultminmin
13th: Sinji:ultpacman:
13th: omega:ultjoker:
13th: Riddles:ultkazuya::ult_terry:

17th: Marss:ultzss:
17th: Cosmos:ultmythra:
17th: Supahsemmie:ultyounglink:
17th: WebbJP:ultsheik:
17th: Atomic:ultrob:
17th: Syrup:ultsteve::ultness:
17th: Jakal:ultwolf:
17th: Tweek:ultdiddy:
25th: Monte:ultgnw:
25th: Beastly:ultdiddy:
25th: ChunkyKong:ultdk:
25th: Alo!:ultzelda:
25th: Jake:ultsteve:
25th: Chag:ultpalutena::ultminmin
25th: Tilde:ultfalco:
25th: IcyMist:ultsamus:

33rd: LRA_START:ultwolf:
33rd: Spickles:ultluigi:
33rd: Pelca:ultsnake:
33rd: Marcus:ultgnw:
33rd: Juanpi:ultpalutena::ultbanjokazooie:
33rd: Thass:ultfox:
33rd: JeJaJeJa:ultkirby:
33rd: Dany:ultwolf:
33rd: Ikan:ultryu:
33rd: Doorstop:ultzss::ultpokemontrainer:
33rd: John Numbers:ultwiifittrainer:
33rd: Scend:ultness:
33rd: Mr. E:ultlucina:
33rd: Chase:ultpalutena::ultsteve:
33rd: Aaron:ultdiddy:
33rd: Rivers:ultdiddy:

NairWizard

Somewhere
On the subject of Corrin, I was never a doubter but Corrin exceeded even my expectations. I think counterplay is inevitable for any character but Corrin's held on a lot longer than I thought she would. Corrin's definitely strong and Shadic really leveled up these past few months. Corrin's kind of like the new Roy.

It does make me wonder, why Corrin and not Cloud or Aegis? This is the kind of thing I attribute to flavor of the month. Corrin's the flavor. People play who they want to play, not who's the best otherwise everyone would use Steve
There is actually a universe in which Corrin ends up being #1 in the game (in the sense of current meta).

SHADIC has developed counterplay to Roy/Fox/Joker, Corrin’s hardest archetype, and Samus does not look to be losing in practice. I doubt other zoners will remain bad given her meta trajectory.

So on top of this, if you believe the (results-backed) theory that she beats or goes even with Sonic and Steve and Kazuya and Min Min and Game and Watch, then her case for #1 is extremely plausible.

No losing matchups other than Diddy and Sheik and winning against all of the best characters in the game is definitely #1 material.

Do I think that’ll happen? No. But it’s very possible. There was also a universe where it could have happened with Cloud after WTT. So many possible branching directions for the meta to go.

But I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing about swords.

How about some thoughts from some of our Rosalina friends? Is Dabuz just investing in a sinking ship?

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
How about some thoughts from some of our Rosalina friends? Is Dabuz just investing in a sinking ship?
Yeah I think Rosalina isn't very good in the current meta. Only relevant matchup she wins is like G&W, which is important but I think Dabuz's slump era can be attributed to playing a mid-tier. Skyjay has been going through a similar slump post-LMBM so Dabuz isn't the only player playing a mid-tier to have this happen. When you're playing a character that loses to swords, :ultsteve:, :ultsonic: and :ultrob: you better have a really good secondary that's a top tier, and I think another issue with Dabuz is that his Min Min isn't exactly Doramigi or ProtoBanham level. I know Dabuz was attempting to pick up Steve, but he hasn't used him in majors and I think entirely dropped him due to finding him boring.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I would argue that Dabuz is a top 10 player (skill wise) who is held back by his character choices (especially Rosalina). His Min Min is good but not at the level of the Japanese top level Min Min mains. His Olimar is rarely used these days. Rosalina, as a character, is either high mid tier or low high tier, probably the former. With his combination of characters Dabuz can go far decently often, but I do think he's held back by Rosalina a bit. It is unfortunate for him that Rosalina is no longer a top tier, like in Smash 4. Does that mean that he should drop Rosalina? I don't know. What other character would he play? Steve? At this point in time, it might be too late to switch mains. He could probably still be a top 15 or top 20 player with his current roster, if he keeps performing well.

SHADIC has developed counterplay to Roy/Fox/Joker, Corrin’s hardest archetype, and Samus does not look to be losing in practice. I doubt other zoners will remain bad given her meta trajectory.
I think Corrin has a bunch of slightly losing MUs and not many hard losing MUs (Sheik seems like the worst, I used to think Snake and Sephiroth would be up there too but Neo has pushed those MUs well and now I think they're just slightly losing for Corrin). Sheik being Corrin's worst MU is generally okay, since there are very few Sheik players at top level, so that particular weakness doesn't hold her back too much. Compare that to, say, having Steve as a big weakness (Tweek with Diddy Kong), or Game & Watch, or Sonic. While some of her slightly losing MUs are big meta characters (like Fox, Joker, and Samus), SHADIC and Neo have shown that those MUs are still very doable. Snake was a MU I used to think really held Corrin back, but meta development from Neo makes that MU seem not as bad anymore (SHADIC seems to think it's slightly losing, ApolloKage seems to think it's even).

I value doing well against the top 4 characters (Steve, Sonic, G&W, and ROB, most likely). It's one of the reasons why I think Corrin is so good in this meta (not top 10 though). Aegis is another character that does well into them, and even if Aegis may lose versus several meta characters, doing well against the top 4 is highly valuable.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree, Rosalina's holding Dabuz back. She's upper mid tier and a bit underwhelming.

It's interesting to see what players value in character rankings. I tend to put a lot of weight on lumistats.

Palutena might seem like an odd choice for top 5 since she has no top level representation but she still gets a lot of results. Rob and Steve are always on top so they are no brainers for top 5 in my book. Aegis may have lost their best reps in Spargo and MKLeo but they're still top 3. This is also why I initially had Snake but he's been underwhelming recently. It seems like Apalokage is falling off.

Fox is a good example of a character I see as being carried by their top player. Light's possibly a top 5 player now but Fox is way down there at 19th place. I definitely believe some players are more skilled than their character is good. Although Fox will probably rise when the next list comes out. That's not to say Fox is at all bad, probably still a top tier.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There's a good reason for this. There is a "swordie cult" that has been around since late Melee/early Brawl. Or perhaps cult is the wrong word for it? It's a mindset, a way of playing the game. Maybe you could call it The Way of the Sword.

If you were around in those days and you knew m2k (back when he was just "oovideogamegodoo" on AIM, there's a throwback), he would talk about the intricacies of patient disjoint abuse with Meta Knight in Brawl and Marth in Melee, with dozens of pages of notes. And then throughout the Brawl era you had theorists like Emblem Lord and Shaya preaching a certain style of playing Brawl Marth that reflected those same principles.

Leo talks about that style of thinking all the time. You ever watched him watch a Kola set and disparage Kola's gameplay? That's what he's referring to. The Way of the Sword.

Having set patterns and wisdom embodied in concrete, learnable principles for an entire archetype sets up a strong framework to incubate strong warriors -- then along comes Leo, and sparg0, and SHADIC, with their excellent reaction times and a love for sword characters, and magic happens.

You don't even have to see it in the gameplay, if you're not used to analyzing gameplay like I am. If you've listened to SHADIC talk about the differences between him and Neo, it's so obvious that he subscribes to the philosophy -- he is Way of the Sword, all the way.

And if you're wondering what is the Way of the Sword, it can be summarized with these principles:

• Don't take risks unless you have to.
  • Don't swing unless there's a purpose.
  • React, don't read.
  • Max space. Always.
  • Earn your jumps with movement.
  • Delay your aerial until the very last possible frame to mix up opponents.
  • Don't get hit.

SHADIC does all of that, and that's why I love SHADIC. I'm a diehard Way of the Sword guy since Smash 4. It's so beautiful when it works. Truly art.
I remember Melee/Brawl era NEO used to get on me about it. Said I was encouraging a "boring playstyle". Then he REALLY got on my for playing Ryu in Smash 4 because he was PURE abuse and I would literally just wait for people to approach and he despised it.

I told him I'm promoting the optimal play style of what Smash is. Patient, abusive, reactive, avoiding pointless interactions, and not over extending. And I was right. Alot of players proved it in every era.

Characters that cannot force interactions fade into the abyss. Characters that can easily avoid interactions and set the pace always become the dominant force. This is the fate of every Smash game no matter how "balanced" it is.

And Smash players hate it because it invalidates more than half the cast even in Ultimate. It proves their games aren't the aggro fest they wish they were. Many characters cannot play the "real competitive Smash". The series is jank. Just accept this truth is my motto. Just because it's nonsense doesn't mean you can't love it.

Old school fighting games taught me that. All fighting games are "bad" at a high level. They all have BS. Accept it and you will enjoy yourself so much more when you are competing.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results from Maesuma U'22 and Best of The West II, two B+ tiers that happened this weekend.

First Maesuma U'22

1. Miya :ultgnw:
2. Miru :ultkazuya:
3. Asimo :ultryu:
4. Hurt :ultsnake:
5. Ezs :ult_terry:
5. Doramigi :ultminmin
7. Reno :ultbyleth:
7. Raru :ultluigi:
9. Rarikkusu :ultdk: :ultfalco:
9. Kaninabe :ultfox:
9. Gorioka :ultjoker:
9. Ryuoh :ultdiddy:
13. Vanilla :ultgreninja:
13. alice :ultroy: :ultkazuya:
13. Maroyaka Herajika :ultsephiroth:
13. Snow :ultmario:
17. Leaf :ultrobin:
17. Yone_pi :ultpichu:
17. Rearlet :ultbowser:
17. Shirayuki :ultinkling:
17. Fui :ultyoshi:
17. Manto :ultduckhunt:
17. Kuhaku :ultdk:
17. Gachipi :ultlucario:

Best of the West II results

1. Sparg0 :ultcloud: :ultpyra:
2. Skyjay :ultincineroar:
3. Mr. E :ultlucina:
4. AlanDiss :ultsnake:
5. CaptainCRUP!!! :ultfalcon:
5. WaKa :ultluigi:
7. Andrik :ultfalcon:
7. embo_z :ultduckhunt:
9. Ludo :ultmario: :ultfalco:
9. Suadero :ultluigi: :ultbrawler:
9. Kub4444 :ultbowserjr:
9. Ang :ulttoonlink:
13. Mustaine :ult_terry:
13. Whisky :ultrobin:
13. Nexus :ultfalco:
13. CK :ultrob: :ultcorrinf:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Tweek Talks did a mini episode on characters that are falling off in the meta, which obviously fits this thread very well.
They mainly focus on :ultbyleth: and :ultsephiroth:'s fall off, but I think other characters that have fallen off in the meta are :ultmario:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultpacman: and :ultpikachu:.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Pikachu falling off would imply that he's doing worse than he used to. I don't think that's really the case? ESAM has fallen off, but ShinyMark is doing better than ever. I suppose you could argue that 2019 ESAM was doing better than 2023/2024 ShinyMark, but I'd argue that largely comes down to ESAM playing his old main in a new game and people weren't as good at Ultimate back in 2019.

I think Lucina is another character that has fallen off. She's still pretty good and easily high tier but she's no longer the top tier contender people thought she would be back in 2019.

As for Pac-Man, Tea #12 LumiRank 2023, and got 7th at GENESIS X, 9th at Umebura SP 10, 5th at Ultimate Fighting Arena 2023 (back in November), etc. I do agree that Pac-Man has fallen off a bit but he's probably like, top 25 still? Which is around where I'd put Mario and Pokémon Trainer as well, I suppose.

Inkling is probably one of the most obvious examples. Early on, Inkling was considered a top tier candidate, and now she's generally considered a mid tier character or lower high tier. The character is getting some results in Japan though (then again, so are many other characters generally considered mid tier).

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Pikachu isn't the top 5 contender people thought he was in 2019, but I think his potential is really only held back by ShinyMark's location which forces him to travel large distances to get anywhere notable. Not that this is any of his fault, but it's unfortunate because Pikachu's results would immediately skyrocket if ShinyMark had better opportunities to go to more majors.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking as a :ultbylethf: player, I said before that MKLeo was carrying her. She is almost like a super heavyweight without actually being super heavy. She's slow and has a slightly weak neutral, although Nair really helps, but she hits like a truck when she does connect. She often seems at a disadvantage only to get the stock lead by killing the opponent at 80% off a read. Dair>Dsmash is a shield break setup so if ever your shield's Daired get the hell out of there. It's also worth mentioning her upB is the best gimping and edge guard reversing tool in the game. It's extremely dangerous to be offstage vs Byleth. She's probably lower high tier imo.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Kinda completely random, but I feel like Piranha Plant isn't that bad.

edit: should have said Banjo, apparently (still don't think either is that good though)

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
There's a universe out there where Smash's designers decided to not arbitrarily design far ahead of Banjo's ability weave and exploit his myriad tech toolbox and where he'd actually be a high tier menace.

I've said it before but the only significant thing that holds Banjo back at a top level is just his damage output. The amount of abstract tech and strings he has basically requires the same amount of effort out of playing Steve, except for some inexplicable reason this same level of reward isn't there. It would make his life much easier, but even under the surface there's weird trends surrounding his design elsewhere that are equal parts interesting as they almost feel malicious. One example of that is how his down throw bury is only a 50/50 at best, despite other heavyweights like ROB and K. Rool getting good ones (though his back throw is pretty underrated), or how his up tilt exclusively functions against airborne opponents. There's so many small things about him that the design team inexplicably realized were issues only with him but not with any other characters, like how Breegull Blaster's traits make it seem on the surface like a joke move until you master the necessary tech behind it. It gets to a point that many people argue that you need to play him with ostensibly TAS-like execution to bring out his greatest potential. The logic behind the way this character's win condition was designed perplexes me more than any other character on the roster. I can only suspect they respected Wonderwing too much when making the character, which paradoxically is an extremely powerful and versatile move but one of the only ones in the game that's left with a per-stock resource.

It's all just limits upon limits that's so weirdly exclusive to him; the damage output, the Wonderwing stock, needing to use all these techs to actually keep him up to par between Kazooie Fast Cancel, Turnaround Cancel, Cancel Storage, etc. And yet despite that he's the kind of character who's just straight up frustrating when faced at a higher level where it all comes together. He has a really quick fast fall speed; he's second only to one-winged Sephiroth in terms of multi-jump fast fallers, which works really well for his nickel-and-dime aerials and specials, and conditioning opponents into making an errant interception. His Grenade is one of the few item projectiles that you're just not going to be able to counterplay that well due to its low timer and Banjo's drift advantage. His disjoints are solid so actually hitting moves is never an issue. Under certain conditions you have so much frame advantage from Breegull Blaster that it confirms into both combos and KOs.

He's like this mental stack nightmare which feels like they surgically worked around the clock to make worse; like they'd already lived and seen this vision of a meta where Banjo was going to be the most obnoxious and disliked character in the game unless they tuned everything down; "quick; nerf his bury, remove the front-facing hitbox of up tilt, make Eggs weaker; just make it all worse". He's the only character in the roster where it more blatantly feels like at some point in development they'd decided that they had to make him significantly weaker. And yet despite it all, that set last night was some pure magic at display. I don't know how much further I expect him to get in bracket but Toriguri is a machine.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Top 24 for Battle of BC 6

Winners
Doramigi :ultminmin vs BassMage :ultjigglypuff:
Hurt :ultsnake: vs Toriguri :ultbanjokazooie:
Sparg0 :ultcloud: vs Riddles :ultkazuya: :ult_terry:
Ouch!? :ultwolf: vs Yoshidora :ultyoshi:

Losers
Raflow :ultpalutena: vs Ryuoh :ultdiddy:
Big D :ulticeclimbers: vs Tickle :ultpyra:
Lancelot :ultchrom: :ultroy: vs Mr. R :ultsheik:
Armadillo :ultlucario: vs Lemmon :ultjoker:
MkLeo :ultjoker: :ultbyleth: vs WebbJP :ultsheik:
Soar :ultsteve: vs Ron :ultyoshi:
Monte :ultgnw: vs Ludo :ultmario: :ultfalco:
Syrup :ultsteve: :ultness: vs Chag :ultpalutena: :ultminmin

NairWizard

Somewhere
There's a universe out there where Smash's designers decided to not arbitrarily design far ahead of Banjo's ability weave and exploit his myriad tech toolbox and where he'd actually be a high tier menace.

I've said it before but the only significant thing that holds Banjo back at a top level is just his damage output. The amount of abstract tech and strings he has basically requires the same amount of effort out of playing Steve, except for some inexplicable reason this same level of reward isn't there. It would make his life much easier, but even under the surface there's weird trends surrounding his design elsewhere that are equal parts interesting as they almost feel malicious. One example of that is how his down throw bury is only a 50/50 at best, despite other heavyweights like ROB and K. Rool getting good ones (though his back throw is pretty underrated), or how his up tilt exclusively functions against airborne opponents. There's so many small things about him that the design team inexplicably realized were issues only with him but not with any other characters, like how Breegull Blaster's traits make it seem on the surface like a joke move until you master the necessary tech behind it. It gets to a point that many people argue that you need to play him with ostensibly TAS-like execution to bring out his greatest potential. The logic behind the way this character's win condition was designed perplexes me more than any other character on the roster. I can only suspect they respected Wonderwing too much when making the character, which paradoxically is an extremely powerful and versatile move but one of the only ones in the game that's left with a per-stock resource.

It's all just limits upon limits that's so weirdly exclusive to him; the damage output, the Wonderwing stock, needing to use all these techs to actually keep him up to par between Kazooie Fast Cancel, Turnaround Cancel, Cancel Storage, etc. And yet despite that he's the kind of character who's just straight up frustrating when faced at a higher level where it all comes together. He has a really quick fast fall speed; he's second only to one-winged Sephiroth in terms of multi-jump fast fallers, which works really well for his nickel-and-dime aerials and specials, and conditioning opponents into making an errant interception. His Grenade is one of the few item projectiles that you're just not going to be able to counterplay that well due to its low timer and Banjo's drift advantage. His disjoints are solid so actually hitting moves is never an issue. Under certain conditions you have so much frame advantage from Breegull Blaster that it confirms into both combos and KOs.

He's like this mental stack nightmare which feels like they surgically worked around the clock to make worse; like they'd already lived and seen this vision of a meta where Banjo was going to be the most obnoxious and disliked character in the game unless they tuned everything down; "quick; nerf his bury, remove the front-facing hitbox of up tilt, make Eggs weaker; just make it all worse". He's the only character in the roster where it more blatantly feels like at some point in development they'd decided that they had to make him significantly weaker. And yet despite it all, that set last night was some pure magic at display. I don't know how much further I expect him to get in bracket but Toriguri is a machine.
Banjo and Plant are in the same boat: they are both one or two buffs away from being a viable and consistent tournament threat at the top level. Both can scrap, with great grounded normals and air to ground transitions. I have been playing some Plant and do pretty competitively (and even win) against some high-level players when I play him (fair notice: online only). It surprises me just how effective his scrapping can be.

Contrary to most, I think Banjo's advantage state is actually just OK since his neutral is so good. For instance, comparing his 50-50 with d-throw bury to others: ROB and K.Rool have a much harder time getting the grabs. ROB has good normals but a bad grab range and has a tougher time than you'd think actually conditioning the shield at the right range to get the grab, while K.Rool is K.Rool (you don't need to shield against K.Rool when you can just outmaneuver him). Meanwhile, Banjo f-tilt and d-tilt are some of the best moves in the game at conditioning shield alongside egg since they safely punish a range of movement options from approach to retreat.

The real issue with Banjo to me is just that he needs Wonderwing to recover so often. The move would be so much better if Banjo didn't need to use it to prevent edgeguards. Once you know the Banjo MU, you can edgeguard Banjo's multiple recovery routes pretty consistently, and then he has to use side-b to guarantee ledge.

If his up-b sent him much higher and he could do high recoveries like Snake that'd make him top/high tier by itself.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree Banjo's underrated. Banjo has a lot of pretty good stuff and although her doesn't have anything phenomenal he can hold his own vs most opponents.

I've been thinking about the top 5 players and how that list would look currently. IMO Spargo's the best in the world right now. If you've been paying attention at all this comes as no surprise. Sonix is next; he has consistency other top players lack. If he loses it's often to get 2nd place. Then probably Acola. He's not as active recently and imo the top 2 could beat him (and have before). Then this one's a bit of a curve ball: Shadic. Shadic beat Miya, Light, and iirc even Spargo once. Although his placement is questionable and really depends on if he keeps preforming at his current level. It's entirely possible that counterplay will come up against Corrin. 5th is Miya. Miya has better consistency than the rest of the top 10 players like Light, Zomba and Tweek. It's possible Light might pass Miya but imo Fox is holding him back. It's extremely hard to be consistent with Fox. You may notice this list doesn't include Glutonny. He's not been as active and has fallen off a bit recently. IMO he's still top 10 but not top 5.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Battle of BC 6

Winners
Doramigi:ultminmin vs Hurt:ultsnake:
Sparg0:ultcloud::ultcorrinf: vs Yoshidora:ultyoshi:

Losers
BassMage:ultjigglypuff: vs Toriguri:ultbanjokazooie:
Riddles:ultkazuya::ult_terry: vs Ouch!?:ultwolf:

This might be the goofiest top 8 at a major event of all time.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I agree Banjo's underrated. Banjo has a lot of pretty good stuff and although her doesn't have anything phenomenal he can hold his own vs most opponents.

I've been thinking about the top 5 players and how that list would look currently. IMO Spargo's the best in the world right now. If you've been paying attention at all this comes as no surprise. Sonix is next; he has consistency other top players lack. If he loses it's often to get 2nd place. Then probably Acola. He's not as active recently and imo the top 2 could beat him (and have before). Then this one's a bit of a curve ball: Shadic. Shadic beat Miya, Light, and iirc even Spargo once. Although his placement is questionable and really depends on if he keeps preforming at his current level. It's entirely possible that counterplay will come up against Corrin. 5th is Miya. Miya has better consistency than the rest of the top 10 players like Light, Zomba and Tweek. It's possible Light might pass Miya but imo Fox is holding him back. It's extremely hard to be consistent with Fox. You may notice this list doesn't include Glutonny. He's not been as active and has fallen off a bit recently. IMO he's still top 10 but not top 5.
acola has been more active then Sonix (Sonix only went to 2 things whereas acola has now gone to 4) and has gotten 1st at everything including a P tier, while Sonix got 2nd at both events he went to. I think acola > Sonix rn. Also SHADIC only fought Sparg0 at Collision, where SHADIC didn't take a set.

Me personally, I think the top 10 players currently are:
Sparg0, acola, Sonix, SHADIC, Miya, Tweek, Zomba, Hurt, Light and Leo. Gluto seems a bit too inconsistent to be top 10 rn.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Something to note about Battle of BC 6 was that this tournament was going to be a S+ tier event, but there were a lot of players who ended up DQ'ing from the event for various reasons. For example, this event would've had Sonix, Light, and Onin participating in it. The current tier of the event is A+, so what would've been a supermajor is simply now just a normal major. A stacked normal major, but a normal major regardless.

I also just realized that top 8 was going to look funky regardless, because the loser's top 8 qualifiers was BassMage:ultjigglypuff: vs Armadillo:ultlucario: and Toriguri:ultbanjokazooie: vs Big D:ulticeclimbers:, so we were going to get weird, rare characters into top 8 regardless of the outcome of those sets.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
One example of that is how his down throw bury is only a 50/50 at best, despite other heavyweights like ROB and K. Rool getting good ones (though his back throw is pretty underrated), or how his up tilt exclusively functions against airborne opponents.
If Up-tilt had Snake Up-tilt hitbox it would actually be insane combined with his down throw. It would mean it would cover both mash out and no Mash at the same time (Unless you are great a mashing but not all players can or have the ability to do that). Even if can mash out, there would still be times when your caught not expecting it and can't react in time. And you'll eventually get high enough % where it just doesn't matter anyway (Which tends to happen with Banjo). Devs probably saw this in testing and had to make Up-tilt the way it is to put a stop to it.

Banjo with Snake up-tilt hitbox's would have one the best grab KO set-ups in the game.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Battle of BC 6

1. Hurt :ultsnake:
2. Sparg0 :ultcloud: :ultcorrinf:
3. Yoshidora :ultyoshi:
4. Doramigi :ultminmin
5. Toriguri :ultbanjokazooie:
5. Riddles :ultkazuya: :ult_terry:
7. BassMage :ultjigglypuff:
7. Ouch!? :ultwolf:
9. Big D :ulticeclimbers:
9. Armadillo :ultlucario:
9. Ron :ultyoshi: :ultkirby:
9. Syrup :ultenderman: :ultness:
13. Raflow :ultpalutena: :ultsamus:
13. Mr. R :ultsheik:
13. MkLeo :ultjoker: :ultbyleth:
13. Monte :ultgnw:
17. Ryuoh :ultdiddy:
17. Tickle :ultpyra:
17. Lancelot :ultchrom: :ultroy:
17. Lemmon :ultjoker:
17. WebbJP :ultsheik:
17. Soar :ultsteve:
17. Ludo :ultmario: :ultfalco:
17. Chag :ultpalutena: :ultminmin

Hurt wins Snake's first major since Ally's win at Pound 2019.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Seconding Sparg0 vs Yoshidora's losers rematch, while I don't know a lot about the character I know that a lot of people seem to believe Yoshi really struggles against sword characters like Cloud; that struggle was a lot more evident in the winners semis set but less so in losers finals after the adaptations.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
What set should I provide analysis for this tournament? Hurt vs Sparg0?
Yes, please do. I thought Hurt had a really good shot at taking this tournament. In my opinion his Snake plays like a more optimized and technical version of Ally's.

He's different from Ally of course. But still has more in common with Ally than other Snakes like Appolokage, MVD, Alandiss.

The commonality they share being that generally they actively hunt their opponents rather than try to force them to approach in order to punish said approach. They use grenades in order to control space so that they force opponents into scraps which they then win with Snakes incredible normals. Normals which are normally held back because of Snakes garbage mobility become much stronger once mobility is partially taken out of the picture by space being cut off.

Of course all Snakes use grenades in order to be able to use Snakes normals. But Ally relied on and used Snakes normals far more confidently than the other Snakes. He could forego using grenades at all when he didn't need to and just go in with aggressive bairs dash attacks.

If you play like this you get the option of switching to camping when needed. You have to be the one who pushes the pace in order to be able to weaponize it. If you do that your camping is going to be way more effective when you use it because its going to throw the opponent off.

Imo exceptional players who play characters with ranged tools always start by applying pressure and then start switching back and forth between offensive pressuring and camping continuously changing the direction of the dance to throw their opponents off. Not letting there be a continuous flow by disrupting it, not letting your opponent get a grip on either your offence or defence. When you dictate you show your hand by definition. You give the opponent the information they need to beat you. But if you are aware of this you can do it on purpose only to switch it up the moment you know your opponent completes their download. But in order to do this you have to be the one who is leading, who is feeding their opponent moreso than being fed.

Not all characters can do this, but those who can should. Zero was doing this all throughout sm4sh with Diddy. Tweek does not do it consistently. Doesn't seen aware of weaponizing pace as a thing at all. I think its a big weakness of his. He's too passive, his pace is predictable and not dynamic, tied to his mental state which he has never learned to fully control and often displays very clearly whereafter he ends up paying for it. He's kind of like a polar opposite to Ally.

For how good a player Ally was he really was garbage in some regards. He was slow to learn and use tech, never optimized his combo routes and punishes. Preffering playing a relatively simple non taxing style based around good old reliable stuff. A lot of his fundies were mediocre too, but when it came to the mental parts he was on another level than everyone else except perhaps Glutonny. Its like he foregoed execution in order to free up his cognitive resources and be able to excell at the mental parts of battles.

At his best he played fearlessly (but not recklessly like Appolokage) and was very good at adjusting to his opponents. He didn't master matchups so much as he mastered his opponents. Yomi wise he'd get the upper hand. He could win unwinnable matchups because of this. He beat Ken despite the Sonic/Mario matchup being trash for Mario. And he did it at least twice iirc. Imo he was a fascinating anomaly of a player who played a different game than the rest.

But Ally had weaknesses that I don't see in Hurt. He could look highly mediocre at times, going to game 5 in pools vs randoms far below his level. There was a lazyness in him. He would play worse if his opponent played worse and vice versa. And again he was generally slow at picking up and utilizing tech. His combos were not as optimized as they should have been. He preferred relying on his cerebral abilities to push advantage rather than grinding and didn't seem willing or motivated enough to do both.

As a consequence Ally also struggled vs the best of the best who played the kind of classic disciplined smash which you recently described. That style would shut him down and not let him get his own playstyle going. And he would just lose due to not making the most out of the hits he got.

He always got wrecked by Leo who thought Ally was overrated. I don't think he was overrated, he just had a very uneven and strange distribution of skills.

In Sm4sh I don't think he ever really learnt to consistently perfect pivot. If he did it was late in the games span. His combo game was garbage compared to Zenou's. And yet he his Mario was vastly superior to anyone else's despite its blatant shortcomings. The same was true of his ultimate Snake while he was active.

With Hurt I see a player who like Ally understands how Snake can and should be played. Someone who knows how to control and thereby weaponize the pace. But who unlike Ally is young and hungry and motivated to push himself and optimize, and that is a dangerous thing.

Still think players like Sparg0 could adjust. Maybe, his aggressive style with Cloud is not going to cut it though. What happened was not surprising. Think Joker does better vs Snake, but I'm relying on old meta info which might not be relevant anymore.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
A lot of people talk about how Hurt likes to scrap with people and how good he is at CQC, but what really impresses me is his recoveries. The other top Snake players could just get sent into disadvantage and die offstage, but Hurt's Grenade recovery tech is so good that it's very hard for players to successfully edgeguard him. I remember at Maesuma U'22 against either Snow or Raru, he was using up-B but realized he couldn't make it, did a Grenade toss, airdodged directly into the Grenade while near the very bottom of the blastzone, and managed to recover and get back onto the stage instead of doing an accidental SD.

Top Bottom