• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And I'd say DK's recovery is better than Ganondorfs anyway on account of DK having aerial drift and a big hotbox that comes out fast on his up-b. It feels like the balancing team just doesn't understand some things. One of those being that it's not a good idea to combine bad recovery moves with extremely slow air speed.
Having a bad recovery also is weird for heavies since the whole point of being heavy is so that they can survive at higher percentages. And at least Ike's and Chrom's Up B are based off canon moves they have in their own source games. Ganondorf doesn't have that excuse since its just a Falcon move.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I know you love the character, and I actually share that with you. For the record, I main and love playing Aegis. I also mained Min Min for a long time and really like that character too.

Do they make the game unplayable? No, that fear ended up being curtailed by significant improvements in corner play at top level--but if you're talking in terms of strict balance, I think they're a problem, yes, and a much bigger one than Kazuya or Steve (I don't understand the complaints about either of those).

I also think this game is significantly less balanced than people want to believe, and that matchup unawareness and inexperience is responsible for at least some of the variety we see at all levels. How many people even read a Hero's menu and react to it unless they're playing Hero?

But one of the great things the game gets right is balancing previously imbalanced archetypal matchups. Ness and Mario have struggled vs. swords throughout smash history, but in Ultimate, it really doesn't feel that bad.
Ness vs. Rosalina feels even, and Ness vs. Lucina/Cloud are very slight losses. Ness can actually space around swords pretty effectively in this game; with just a little more tuning, he'd have even matchups there.
Mario can trounce most swords just by drifting in with falling up-airs, which is much more effective than his previous strategy of dashing in and grabbing against a misspaced aerial. Mario-Byleth is even, and Mario-Cloud and Mario-Lucina are probably just slight losses.

Swords are still likely the strongest archetype in this engine, because the universally low endlag means it's low-risk to swing, but even traditionally strong swordie matchups aren't free, and that's impressive for balance. I wish Min Min and Aegis (and sure, Sonic, of course Sonic) had been a little more considered in the same way that characters like Ness and Lucina have been considered and balanced.
Okay, they are hardly as high on list of favorites post 3, but Pyra is still fun to play. However, you have been decrying them for months now despite how little of a problem they are. A polarizing matchup spread isn't even a "problem." And I think a lot of the actual balance concerns on Kazuya are less matchup based and more his extreme touch of death philosophy. Most of the complaints for him though probably boil down to how unfun it is to just get deleted cause Kazuya. Even if it is avoidable, it feels bad, and emotions are powerful.
Having a bad recovery also is weird for heavies since the whole point of being heavy is so that they can survive at higher percentages. And at least Ike's and Chrom's Up B are based off canon moves they have in their own source games. Ganondorf doesn't have that excuse since its just a Falcon move.
Eh...Chrom's is based on him spinning in that one cutscene but it doesn't even play out like that. Maybe partially a FEW move but that ends differently. Chrom doesn't have much of a reason to stick with something so awful other than it was probably easier to clone from Ike. However, I could go into ways to declone him and Lucina, but that might could use it's own thread or two. Given how they treat Ganondorf, don't expect anything too much though.

I do think Ganondorf might should get a float mechanic like Peach though. Just look at him flying around in OoT.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
However, you have been decrying them for months now
A polarizing matchup spread isn't even a "problem."
Because I like the character and I like the game; I want good things for the character and good things for the game. When I pick Aegis and I win, I want to feel like I won because I outplayed my opponent consistently, not because I have access to Mythra dash attack and they don't have a good answer. That's just competitive spirit.

A polarizing matchup spread isn't a problem for the tippy top competitors whom we usually talk about, but it is bad for competitive play in general. Contrary to annoyingly popular belief, having an even number of winning and losing matchups doesn't make for good balance. The balance ideal is 50-50 matchups across the entire cast, but of course you're never going to achieve perfect balance without veering toward homogeneity; you get as near as you can while keeping a diverse cast of archetypes.

It's especially irksome because this game is often touted as having great balance--you see it everywhere, people saying, "look at that top 8, this game is so balanced!", and while that's true relative to smash 4 and Brawl for sure, there are still so many polarizing matchups. Overall, FP2 made the problem worse instead of better, and I don't think it's anti-DLC or anti-Aegis to point that out. If anything, if you love DLC, and you love Aegis and Min Min, then being disappointed by the shallow balance considerations that seemed to have gone into their designs is only natural.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it's important to remember that by well balanced it really means everything else being equal and that out of so many characters only a true handful struggle to win ANY matchups. Even mid tier characters are more viable, with the biggest caveat being you may need a secondary to stay competitive.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because I like the character and I like the game; I want good things for the character and good things for the game. When I pick Aegis and I win, I want to feel like I won because I outplayed my opponent consistently, not because I have access to Mythra dash attack and they don't have a good answer. That's just competitive spirit.

A polarizing matchup spread isn't a problem for the tippy top competitors whom we usually talk about, but it is bad for competitive play in general. Contrary to annoyingly popular belief, having an even number of winning and losing matchups doesn't make for good balance. The balance ideal is 50-50 matchups across the entire cast, but of course you're never going to achieve perfect balance without veering toward homogeneity; you get as near as you can while keeping a diverse cast of archetypes.

It's especially irksome because this game is often touted as having great balance--you see it everywhere, people saying, "look at that top 8, this game is so balanced!", and while that's true relative to smash 4 and Brawl for sure, there are still so many polarizing matchups. Overall, FP2 made the problem worse instead of better, and I don't think it's anti-DLC or anti-Aegis to point that out. If anything, if you love DLC, and you love Aegis and Min Min, then being disappointed by the shallow balance considerations that seemed to have gone into their designs is only natural.
But it does have likely the best balance of any Smash game despite the largest roster. Not every fighter has an answer to everything. You have perpetually called out those two specifically, even to the point of seeming to think they'd overrun the scene...but it never happened. Fear mongering about any fighter in this game always seems to inevitably die down once they get figured out, and it happened extremely fast for those two. The balance team actually did a pretty good job. There are some questionable decisions here and there, but Pyra and Mythra aren't the problem. They win some good, they lose some badly. It's not the end of the world. You'd be hard pressed to find any fighter that doesn't struggle in some matchups. But typically the worst isn't virtually unwinnable.

No, not all of them may be solo viable, however more probably are in this game than any other. Pyra and Mythra just aren't a problem just because they can beat some really well. Remind me, how many +/- 3 matchups are even in the game? Not many. Even fewer if you remove Little Mac and Ganondorf as that's more their problem then their opponents'.

NairWizard

Somewhere
But it does have likely the best balance of any Smash game despite the largest roster.
Absolutely true. Balance gets better over time, and the balancing team did better with Ultimate than any past smash game.

Not every fighter has an answer to everything. You have perpetually called out those two specifically, even to the point of seeming to think they'd overrun the scene...but it never happened.
Yeah, I have, and I've given supporting reasons for calling them out every single time I've done that. Hitboxes, matchups, observations about top level, kill percents, etc. When it seemed like the meta was running counter to their development, I also pointed that out, and the reasons why (evolving corner play).

On the other hand, I have never seen you post anything in response other than "But they're not dominating," "They're not a problem." It's hard to convince someone else you're right if you don't provide any evidence for why you believe something, right? I'm not calling you out for not doing analysis because this thread is pretty dead and no one does any analysis here any more, but if you think I should be persuaded to your point, maybe you could try actually talking about the game with me, instead of defending it based on your gut and surface-level observation?

I'm definitely open to being wrong, I've been wrong about plenty of things before, but surely you can see how it's annoying when someone keeps saying you're wrong but does nothing to back that up other than pointing to what everyone can see (Leo/Sparg0 switching off solo Aegis).

L9999 L9999 's engagement was great, it gave me a lot to consider and engage with/respond to. If you can give me that level of detail for your argument, I'd be happy to reconsider my stance (or respond if I don't agree).

They win some good, they lose some badly.
Aegis doesn't lose any matchup "badly." Min Min might be the hardest and it's likely -1 at most. I guess fighting Diddy Kong feels pretty hard sometimes too, but that one is highly stage-dependent (I don't mind fighting him on FD for example even though Diddy loves FD; there's so much room to juggle him there).

edit:

Maybe a better and more earnest way to re-engage with you is this: what do you think is the biggest counterplay to Aegis that makes them manageable for the cast long term, besides edgeguarding? You play Lucina, right? Let's go from there. How can Roy and Lucina keep consistent counterplay to Aegis in neutral in your opinion? I'd like to see it from your perspective.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Absolutely true. Balance gets better over time, and the balancing team did better with Ultimate than any past smash game.

Yeah, I have, and I've given supporting reasons for calling them out every single time I've done that. Hitboxes, matchups, observations about top level, kill percents, etc. When it seemed like the meta was running counter to their development, I also pointed that out, and the reasons why (evolving corner play).

On the other hand, I have never seen you post anything in response other than "But they're not dominating," "They're not a problem." It's hard to convince someone else you're right if you don't provide any evidence for why you believe something, right? I'm not calling you out for not doing analysis because this thread is pretty dead and no one does any analysis here any more, but if you think I should be persuaded to your point, maybe you could try actually talking about the game with me, instead of defending it based on your gut and surface-level observation?

I'm definitely open to being wrong, I've been wrong about plenty of things before, but surely you can see how it's annoying when someone keeps saying you're wrong but does nothing to back that up other than pointing to what everyone can see (Leo/Sparg0 switching off solo Aegis).

L9999 L9999 's engagement was great, it gave me a lot to consider and engage with/respond to. If you can give me that level of detail for your argument, I'd be happy to reconsider my stance (or respond if I don't agree).

Aegis doesn't lose any matchup "badly." Min Min might be the hardest and it's likely -1 at most. I guess fighting Diddy Kong feels pretty hard sometimes too, but that one is highly stage-dependent (I don't mind fighting him on FD for example even though Diddy loves FD; there's so much room to juggle him there).

edit:

Maybe a better and more earnest way to re-engage with you is this: what do you think is the biggest counterplay to Aegis that makes them manageable for the cast long term, besides edgeguarding? You play Lucina, right? Let's go from there. How can Roy and Lucina keep consistent counterplay to Aegis in neutral in your opinion? I'd like to see it from your perspective.
It's not any argument I've made that should convince you, it's real world evidence that it just never happened. Even at their peak, it was hardly the end of the world and that peak ended almost as quickly as it came. Their day in the sun was essentially a flash in the pan. Every time you'd be a doom sayer, I could look at what was going on and not see much of a reason to be alarmed. They weren't taken up half or more top spots at most if any tourney. I have heard enough doom saying before, and it rarely amounts to much of anything game shattering in this game. Not then, not with Joker, not with the Heroes, not with Min Min, and not with Steve and especially Kazuya. Most notable thing about Pyra and Mythra is probably just how ludicrously fast they both rose and fell. Though the general and simplistic reason isn't that hard to see. They are relatively simple and easy to pick up, but that makes the inverse true of them being easier to figure out. Lucina had an admittedly less extreme version of this if memory serves.

As for the losing, I assumed that's what you meant by how polarizing their matchups can be though perhaps I misread that and lumped the Min Min stuff in.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
It's not any argument I've made that should convince you, it's real world evidence that it just never happened. Even at their peak, it was hardly the end of the world and that peak ended almost as quickly as it came. Their day in the sun was essentially a flash in the pan. Every time you'd be a doom sayer, I could look at what was going on and not see much of a reason to be alarmed. They weren't taken up half or more top spots at most if any tourney. I have heard enough doom saying before, and it rarely amounts to much of anything game shattering in this game. Not then, not with Joker, not with the Heroes, not with Min Min, and not with Steve and especially Kazuya. Most notable thing about Pyra and Mythra is probably just how ludicrously fast they both rose and fell. Though the general and simplistic reason isn't that hard to see. They are relatively simple and easy to pick up, but that makes the inverse true of them being easier to figure out. Lucina had an admittedly less extreme version of this if memory serves.

As for the losing, I assumed that's what you meant by how polarizing their matchups can be though perhaps I misread that and lumped the Min Min stuff in.
right, we're talking about two different things here. you're talking about Pyra/Mythra taking over the top-level meta, and I'm talking about P/M's general strengths across levels of competition. I went through several phases on P/M -- at first, i didn't think they were that good at any level, because I was playing and losing against great players with them and I didn't see what I could be doing differently. Then, I had the realization that I should be using Mythra to ferry Pyra around, and suddenly it clicked just how strong and oppressive they could be. I extrapolated that they would take over the top-level meta because of what we were seeing and what I was experiencing at that time -- not doomsaying, but what seemed like a reasonable conclusion based on contemporary meta progression. [Important to note: I didn't think the same of Kazuya or Joker or Steve (all overrated in my estimation). Just Pyra/Mythra.]

Developments in the meta happened pretty quickly. For those following this conversation thread, it struck me hardest during a set of LeoN vs. sparg0 where sparg0 couldn't force LeoN out of the corner and had to switch to Cloud (who does worse vs. Bowser than Aegis) to win the set. That was when I realized that top-level Aegis was going to hit a wall toward the corner that would take a lot of effort to overcome. Leo couldn't bridge the gap during his time with Aegis -- he'd switch to Pyra in desperate ledge pressure situations and then get robbed of his stock. The key is to play a very patient d-air and f-air game with Mythra, but it's hard to stay composed at high percents and do this consistently, which is the real challenge to playing Aegis.

Let's be clear here: I think top-level Aegis isn't simple at all; they're one of the harder characters to play in the game and very challenging to be good with.

High-level Aegis doesn't run into this problem though because there is less reactive ledge pressure at high level. It's just a fact of the disparity between high level and top-level.

So I still think Aegis is a problem (perhaps the wrong word choice? more like, I see design problems with Aegis), however, I've refined my opinion based on the evidence. I now think that they fall off at the very top, against the very best characters, and that cosmos/shuton/leo/sparg0 need to put in some work into redefining their corner pressure game to really excel with them across all matchups. But this doesn't apply to all levels, and I think even at top level they dominate so many more characters than anyone else (besides Min Min).

blackghost

Smash Champion
a lot goes into "balance" for a smash game some of which is in our hands: DSR, legal stage list(i am and have been an advocate for larger stagelists for 2 game snow and we always end up smaller and smaller and top tiers universally benefit), time rules, stock count, and more.
we are playing a game that is not inherently designed to be played as we do so balance will never be achieved in our vision because the game itself isnt as we would like for our purposes. (side note it is very interesting how much the game truly changes tier-wise when you go from 1v1 to 8 ffa. )

we are fortunate that on some aspects the devs met us halfway.

as for the disuscion as who is a poorly designed character id only argue sonic toes the line. despite the general player base of smash being seemingly allergic if not outright hating combo characters like kazuya, bayo, and others combos are part of fighting games and thriving on combos is a valid character design as is zoning and grappling. when you start to argue HEALTH under a characters deisgn of a game you better come with a bunch of stronger arguments than just your perosnal results and feelings

Arthur97

Smash Master
right, we're talking about two different things here. you're talking about Pyra/Mythra taking over the top-level meta, and I'm talking about P/M's general strengths across levels of competition. I went through several phases on P/M -- at first, i didn't think they were that good at any level, because I was playing and losing against great players with them and I didn't see what I could be doing differently. Then, I had the realization that I should be using Mythra to ferry Pyra around, and suddenly it clicked just how strong and oppressive they could be. I extrapolated that they would take over the top-level meta because of what we were seeing and what I was experiencing at that time -- not doomsaying, but what seemed like a reasonable conclusion based on contemporary meta progression. [Important to note: I didn't think the same of Kazuya or Joker or Steve (all overrated in my estimation). Just Pyra/Mythra.]

Developments in the meta happened pretty quickly. For those following this conversation thread, it struck me hardest during a set of LeoN vs. sparg0 where sparg0 couldn't force LeoN out of the corner and had to switch to Cloud (who does worse vs. Bowser than Aegis) to win the set. That was when I realized that top-level Aegis was going to hit a wall toward the corner that would take a lot of effort to overcome. Leo couldn't bridge the gap during his time with Aegis -- he'd switch to Pyra in desperate ledge pressure situations and then get robbed of his stock. The key is to play a very patient d-air and f-air game with Mythra, but it's hard to stay composed at high percents and do this consistently, which is the real challenge to playing Aegis.

Let's be clear here: I think top-level Aegis isn't simple at all; they're one of the harder characters to play in the game and very challenging to be good with.

High-level Aegis doesn't run into this problem though because there is less reactive ledge pressure at high level. It's just a fact of the disparity between high level and top-level.

So I still think Aegis is a problem (perhaps the wrong word choice? more like, I see design problems with Aegis), however, I've refined my opinion based on the evidence. I now think that they fall off at the very top, against the very best characters, and that cosmos/shuton/leo/sparg0 need to put in some work into redefining their corner pressure game to really excel with them across all matchups. But this doesn't apply to all levels, and I think even at top level they dominate so many more characters than anyone else (besides Min Min).
Well, the thing about lower levels is whoever dominates the local scene can often be more determinant on players than fighters. I think it was Thinkman who said something along the lines of to the guy who just goes to his local scene, he doesn't care about Joker, Cloud, etc, he cares about the Mario that keeps kicking his butt. In that small corner, Mario would be king, and he might seem better to them than he actually is (maybe a poor choice since Mario may actually be top tier). Though, I suppose high level play may be that weird zone between the two extremes. Arguably where fighter chose matters the most. But, that's what it is.

However, I do have at least one issue with their design. Mythra may be a bit too centralizing. Even killing which is generally what Pyra seems designed to do, is a risky proposition sometimes due to her poor speed. To use them optimally, you generally play as Mythra most of the time. In other words, they may have made Pyra too slow and just generally not good enough to keep pace with her sister. Maybe they should have toned Mythra down and Pyra up.

Now, I could also be biased there as I just really prefer Pyra as a character and fighter, but, yeah, not the best job of incentivizing using both a good amount, though, sad as it may be, that's kinda accurate to optimal use of them in their game.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
A thought on Little Mac, why not have him have significantly better but still not great aerials with a poor jumpsquat like Kazuya? Doesn't have to be 7 frames exactly, not sure what would be best in terms of exact frames. Anyway wouldn't that kinda work? It would **** with his combo's into up-b (but those could still be made to work just as well with minor adjustments) and it would make him kinda different, but not so different that he wouldn't be the same char and it would deal with the lame counterplay he suffers under to some degree.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
a lot goes into "balance" for a smash game some of which is in our hands: DSR, legal stage list(i am and have been an advocate for larger stagelists for 2 game snow and we always end up smaller and smaller and top tiers universally benefit), time rules, stock count, and more.
we are playing a game that is not inherently designed to be played as we do so balance will never be achieved in our vision because the game itself isnt as we would like for our purposes. (side note it is very interesting how much the game truly changes tier-wise when you go from 1v1 to 8 ffa. )

we are fortunate that on some aspects the devs met us halfway.

as for the disuscion as who is a poorly designed character id only argue sonic toes the line. despite the general player base of smash being seemingly allergic if not outright hating combo characters like kazuya, bayo, and others combos are part of fighting games and thriving on combos is a valid character design as is zoning and grappling. when you start to argue HEALTH under a characters deisgn of a game you better come with a bunch of stronger arguments than just your perosnal results and feelings
Having to mash SDI as fast as you can repeatedly for extended periods of time because you are fighting Bayo sucks. You really can't say it doesn't. My opinion on this does not come from my personal interactions with Bayo players, it's something I realized over time because better players pointed it out. Feelings do matter. We play the game because of feelings.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
However, I do have at least one issue with their design. Mythra may be a bit too centralizing. Even killing which is generally what Pyra seems designed to do, is a risky proposition sometimes due to her poor speed. To use them optimally, you generally play as Mythra most of the time. In other words, they may have made Pyra too slow and just generally not good enough to keep pace with her sister. Maybe they should have toned Mythra down and Pyra up.

Now, I could also be biased there as I just really prefer Pyra as a character and fighter, but, yeah, not the best job of incentivizing using both a good amount, though, sad as it may be, that's kinda accurate to optimal use of them in their game.
I believe that to be a natural consequence about how competitive Smash is. You see it with the scrubby characters like the Belmonts, Ganondorf, Robin, etc, what do they have in common? Their awful air movement, when a character has that trait it is easier to predict where and when they are gonna land VS a fastfaller. Because Pyra is so slow in the air turning into her when it is not completely safe will earn the Aegis player a big punishment, and a big punishment may come in a move that hits horizontally and send offstage. A lot of Aegis stocks offstage at top level are because Pyra is a sack of bricks and cannot reach the ledge with Prominence Revolt or Mythra is at an awkward angle or has too many options covered and rather than relying on her drift she has to rely on PUNISH ME Edge. Being Mythra allows an Aegis player to not eat damage for free (in theory), which is how many Aegis players get clowned on, even top players, they are stuck in a situation as Pyra, and are trying desperately to get out.

This kind of thing happens to characters in old school Smash. Sheik for example has pretty good combo potential like Mythra, her Fair hits about as hard as any of Pyra's kill moves, and she also has chaingrabs. But when she tries to land or is launched at an awkward angle she is kinda hosed because her air movement is horrid, and her recovery is so laughably bad that it becomes a decision of "Do I risk going to ledge and get hogged or I warp onstage and eat a guaranteed punish anyway?" Pyra/Mythra have to play with the mentality that if they ever get hit in any awkward situation they are gonna get clowned on, since Mythra reduces the chances of getting clowned on it centralizes the character.

Sheik is a very appropiate example given that she was the first transformation character. If we pretend that the transformation is less laggy, Sheik doesn't have her uber strong Fair (or any kill move for that matter, think Brawl Sheik) and Zelda resembles a real character rather than being only DSmash/Fair/Bair for a moveset, most players would stick to Sheik because she can move around more than Zelda. Zelda would be brought out to land those sweet mega kicks but because she sort of doesn't have a neutral because she is so slow you would swap out when you are not on the drivers seat. It is the unfortunate side effect of being in a platform game in which movement is key, and more importantly reliability. Aegis has some of that, but you are right, they might have gone to far with how sluggish Pyra is or how Mythra's strongest move is her FSmash and it is still weaker than most FSmashes.

EDIT: Thought at least you can play neutral with Pyra (although it kinda sucks) because Pyra has an actual moveset, an idea of what you can do. Zelda is disaster with only 3 moves that work (and those moves suck anyway!), that aspect of Pyra is a little underrated, her moves actually work, a lot of players treat her like only Bair and Dair but she can actually do something, provided that she isn't getting juggled and techchased.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I believe that to be a natural consequence about how competitive Smash is. You see it with the scrubby characters like the Belmonts, Ganondorf, Robin, etc, what do they have in common? Their awful air movement, when a character has that trait it is easier to predict where and when they are gonna land VS a fastfaller. Because Pyra is so slow in the air turning into her when it is not completely safe will earn the Aegis player a big punishment, and a big punishment may come in a move that hits horizontally and send offstage. A lot of Aegis stocks offstage at top level are because Pyra is a sack of bricks and cannot reach the ledge with Prominence Revolt or Mythra is at an awkward angle or has too many options covered and rather than relying on her drift she has to rely on PUNISH ME Edge. Being Mythra allows an Aegis player to not eat damage for free (in theory), which is how many Aegis players get clowned on, even top players, they are stuck in a situation as Pyra, and are trying desperately to get out.

This kind of thing happens to characters in old school Smash. Sheik for example has pretty good combo potential like Mythra, her Fair hits about as hard as any of Pyra's kill moves, and she also has chaingrabs. But when she tries to land or is launched at an awkward angle she is kinda hosed because her air movement is horrid, and her recovery is so laughably bad that it becomes a decision of "Do I risk going to ledge and get hogged or I warp onstage and eat a guaranteed punish anyway?" Pyra/Mythra have to play with the mentality that if they ever get hit in any awkward situation they are gonna get clowned on, since Mythra reduces the chances of getting clowned on it centralizes the character.

Sheik is a very appropiate example given that she was the first transformation character. If we pretend that the transformation is less laggy, Sheik doesn't have her uber strong Fair (or any kill move for that matter, think Brawl Sheik) and Zelda resembles a real character rather than being only DSmash/Fair/Bair for a moveset, most players would stick to Sheik because she can move around more than Zelda. Zelda would be brought out to land those sweet mega kicks but because she sort of doesn't have a neutral because she is so slow you would swap out when you are not on the drivers seat. It is the unfortunate side effect of being in a platform game in which movement is key, and more importantly reliability. Aegis has some of that, but you are right, they might have gone to far with how sluggish Pyra is or how Mythra's strongest move is her FSmash and it is still weaker than most FSmashes.

EDIT: Thought at least you can play neutral with Pyra (although it kinda sucks) because Pyra has an actual moveset, an idea of what you can do. Zelda is disaster with only 3 moves that work (and those moves suck anyway!), that aspect of Pyra is a little underrated, her moves actually work, a lot of players treat her like only Bair and Dair but she can actually do something, provided that she isn't getting juggled and techchased.
The Robins are "scrubby?" They're literally designed to have limited use specials.

Also, how is Sheik's fair as strong as Pyra's kill moves? Though admittedly it's own page lacks actual knockback numbers.

Though, they may need to slow Mythra down a decent bit if they give her kill power. After all, why use a faster Pyra if Mythra can kill better too and is almost as fast? Smash usually favors speed, so I kinda predicted Mythra would be used much more, and balancing the two seems difficult. Especially if one is built mostly for killing as in theory you want to use them for the kill move/set up and switch back. Maybe if they gave Pyra some better utility that only she can really do. Something potentially made harder by the fact they have such similar movesets.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The Robins are "scrubby?" They're literally designed to have limited use specials.

Also, how is Sheik's fair as strong as Pyra's kill moves? Though admittedly it's own page lacks actual knockback numbers.

Though, they may need to slow Mythra down a decent bit if they give her kill power. After all, why use a faster Pyra if Mythra can kill better too and is almost as fast? Smash usually favors speed, so I kinda predicted Mythra would be used much more, and balancing the two seems difficult. Especially if one is built mostly for killing as in theory you want to use them for the kill move/set up and switch back. Maybe if they gave Pyra some better utility that only she can really do. Something potentially made harder by the fact they have such similar movesets.
Not for nothing Robin is low tier.

Sheik's Fair kills either by brute force or by sending at an awkward angle from which no character can recover without getting ledgehogged, it is usually the combo finisher of her chaingrabs or a FTilt at high %. And the hitbox? Pretty big.

https://meleeframedata.com/static/gif_stills/sheik/fair/5.png

You are very right. A big deal about Pyra and Mythra's design is that they are not radically different so they are easier to get into compared to Pokemon Trainer or Sheik and Zelda (if hypothetically Zelda wasn't trash) but they are SO similar the differences make it harder to justify switching. They have a range difference but it is negligible, Mythra is so mobile she can bridge the range gap compared to Pyra's with movement, while Pyra needs to rely on her big range because her movement sucks. They almost had it right in that Pyra has a projectile, while Mythra has PUNISH ME Edge. It would tell you, "Pyra can play neutral in a different way, force an approach or catch landings at a distance." The problem? Blazing End takes away Pyra's moveset. She turns herself into Melee Zelda, a sitting duck with no moveset, and a sitting duck who cannot push her advantage for landing Blazing End because she is Zelda and has no movement and no moveset. If the problem with Pyra was being a sitting duck in disadvantage while she has a moveset, if she voluntarily takes away her moveset it is an open invitation to get punished.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not for nothing Robin is low tier.

Sheik's Fair kills either by brute force or by sending at an awkward angle from which no character can recover without getting ledgehogged, it is usually the combo finisher of her chaingrabs or a FTilt at high %. And the hitbox? Pretty big.

https://meleeframedata.com/static/gif_stills/sheik/fair/5.png

You are very right. A big deal about Pyra and Mythra's design is that they are not radically different so they are easier to get into compared to Pokemon Trainer or Sheik and Zelda (if hypothetically Zelda wasn't trash) but they are SO similar the differences make it harder to justify switching. They have a range difference but it is negligible, Mythra is so mobile she can bridge the range gap compared to Pyra's with movement, while Pyra needs to rely on her big range because her movement sucks. They almost had it right in that Pyra has a projectile, while Mythra has PUNISH ME Edge. It would tell you, "Pyra can play neutral in a different way, force an approach or catch landings at a distance." The problem? Blazing End takes away Pyra's moveset. She turns herself into Melee Zelda, a sitting duck with no moveset, and a sitting duck who cannot push her advantage for landing Blazing End because she is Zelda and has no movement and no moveset. If the problem with Pyra was being a sitting duck in disadvantage while she has a moveset, if she voluntarily takes away her moveset it is an open invitation to get punished.
Given your other examples, it makes it sound like you're saying they're "scrubby" spam to win types.

That, uh, that's Melee. Maybe shoulda specified if you were talking about a previous game Sheik. Just saying Sheik implies Ultimate Sheik or Sheik in general.

And, yeah, it was her only real option for a projectile short of just making something up which they very well could do, but while it may be a good newb stomper, I don't see it as that much of a game changer. Unfortunately, there's hardly any way to use that specific move and not have her relatively helpless short of instantly making a new sword (which technically would be within her ability to do).

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Seems to me that a character being good is less so about individual moves and more so about having certain advantages more integral to their design. After having played this game for thousands of hours I've come to the conclusion that there is only a few principles a character has to abide by in order to be any good. And those are hurtbox shifting (size, drift, dodges, etc), low risk (not strictly frame data but the overall picture), and the most important being a strong advantage state.

There is way too much emphasis on neutral in this game when neutral is complete ass to the point of nonexistence. Stage control is meaningless when most characters can cover most of the stage with little effort. Being in the corner isn't inherently a bad thing when you can just casually jump or roll halfway across the stage if your opponent tries to approach. In fact, some players deliberately put themselves into the corner with faster characters in order to bait an approach when theirs isn't working. When neutral is 90% spamming low risk full hop aerials until someone somehow ****s up, the barrier to entry isn't very high.

Disadvantage is also the same way. A good disadvantage is the exception and there's virtually no reason to really consider it when evaluating character strength.

And I think we can see proof of this in character trends over Ultimate's lifespan. Characters that were considered to have a good neutral or mobility attributes like :ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpikachu: have been falling and characters that were considered slow or with a poor neutral like :ultbyleth::ultkazuya::ultsteve: have risen. Neutral has taken a backseat to advantage and having a strong and consistent advantage is the difference.

So when you want to evaluate a character you should be looking at their advantage state first and foremost as that is pretty much what determines a character's viability. Ganondorf suffers not because of his disadvantage, but because he's unable to actually put his theoretical advantage state into practice. His advantage state sounds good on paper until you realize that his strongest moves are situational at best and carry significant risk whereas his safer moves like his aerials are usually stale from all the spam he does in neutral. All of those factors combine to neuter what would otherwise be a powerful enough advantage state to overcome his disadvantage.

Pyra and Mythra suffer because neither have a good advantage state in practice and Mythra's neutral isn't even as good as people say. Mythra's strings are highly dependent on MU and even at their peak aren't greater than what is average for top tier. Pyra has the same issues as Ganondorf and her most practical kill moves are also her neutral tools and therefore stale. Neutral doesn't matter, but advantage does.

But even if neutral did matter, what exactly makes Mythra neutral so good that giving her kill power would make her strong? Yeah, she does have oppressive aerials that make it difficult to dogfight her. But the thing that continues to be ignored is that her shield pressure is complete ass. It isn't even that she does less shield stun, but also that she does less shield damage and her mobility traits and frame data prevent her from being able to continuously strike the opponent's shield. It's not that she's bad on shields so much as she lacks any real counter to them at all.

Some would point to her dash grab and I would point to the dodge mechanic. Did you know that Mythra's dash attack and dash grab have similar startup(9 and 11) and active frames(2)? And that the typical spotdodge has something in the realm of 14 frames of intangibility? And in fact you can use the spotdodge to counter both and prevent mixups?

See the problem with continuing to highlight only a character's good or bad sides is that you miss the flipside of their design. Mythra's arcing and sweeping hitboxs are great for chasing and catching moving characters. But she will never be able to casually back air an opponent's head poking out from a slightly damaged shield like Cloud can. Mythra lacks any sort of precision or nuance and is therefore unfit for the nuance required in top level play.

She only works if the opponent is willing to play her game. Remember the argument that her allegedly oppressive neutral inherently forces people into the corner? Given what I illustrated above, is being in the corner not actually a good counter strategy instead of a last resort? Some top tiers have ungodly levels of shield pressure that will either lead to a poke or force a roll if you get trapped in the corner. People can just casually hang out in the corner versus Mythra because she has no ability to say otherwise. Any commit on her part can lead to an easy reversal thanks to her cumbersome handling.

Whether or not that is a productive strategy depends on who has the lead. And therein lies the root of Pyra and Mythra's problems. Aegis must maintain the lead in order to continue to force the opponent to engage with them. This is the exact issue that Zelda had for the majority of her time in this franchise and neither Pyra nor Mythra have any better answers. No Mythra's speed does not magically make this problem go away. No Pyra is not in fact better with shields than Mythra.

And I can't help but think if this were Smash 4 these characters would be laughed off as low tiers for being unable to approach their opponents. Then you add in that their disadvantage is truly awful to the point of being an exception and you realize that all it takes is one mistake to knock them out of the lead. There's a reason why they only barely win or get completely wrecked. Their damage output is too mediocre to gain huge leads and their disadvantage is such that their opponent can gain an insurmountable lead if they aren't incompetent.

So buff the damage output and knockback of all characters right? Some would benefit from that and a few would probably be legitimate top tiers. But the flipside is the excessive hurtbox shifting preventing anyone from landing a hit, no matter how powerful. You can in fact have the correct spacing and timing on a hard read and still miss because the opponent is able to shift their hurtbox in way that makes it physically impossible to hit them. This leads to all MUs being governed by hitbox coverage vs hurtbox shifting and that's why lots of characters simply aren't viable in this game. Not because there is anything wrong with their inherent design, but because their opponent's hurtbox is literally broken.

And that's why buffs/nerfs never fundamentally changed anything in the game. It's not the values or the size of the moves, it's the coverage in the animation. If Character A's hitbox coverage cannot hit Character B's hurtbox shift it doesn't matter how strong or weak or really what that move does. And that I think is the fundamental problem that effectively breaks this game. There's a certain cabal of characters that have it all in terms of hurtbox shifting. Not just the animations, but the dodge mechanics that can always reset frame advantage, and the extreme aerial drift and/or hurtbox size that allow them to just casually fall out of people's moves. At the same time, these characters retain all advantages from the game's design such as higher damage (relative to other games) and greater freedom of movement.

What that means is that all other things being equal, the shiftier character will win. You can try to increase a character's damage output, but damage output doesn't matter so much if you can guarantee that character can't be hit. And as you might already be able to tell, you can increase/decrease damage values or hitbox size, but you can't redesign the animations without redesigning the game. The devs did attempt to do something about the hurtboxs of the small characters early on but clearly gave up. The problem is ultimately fundamental to Ultimate's design and can't be fixed by patches.

That cabal of characters realistically should be the ones banned rather than the other characters that we've debated. My biggest peeve nowadays is people pretending that the problem lies with most of the cast rather than the small few that break the game and render most of the cast unviable. Not because there is anything inherently strong with them, but because their hurtboxs don't work thanks to Ultimate's trash design. These characters are so broken that they even have a difficult time hitting each other and that's why there are so many characters in top 32 and why there's no consensus on a definitive best character. It's gotten so bad that the only people that consistently place top 3 are people who frequently cycle through several characters in the same tournament.

And as you probably already guessed, the characters bred and designed exclusively for Ultimate are the best among everyone. Not necessarily the newcomers that shipped with the game, the ones that came in the form of DLC. If you look closely, you can see exactly the point when the devs realized what kind of abomination their game was and thus when they started making characters that fit perfectly with this game's design.

And because of that, I think we should stop trying to fix characters that aren't broken and just simply toss a bad game into the garbage. Ultimate has already been considered obsolete by the devs so we shouldn't try make good characters fit a bad game that doesn't matter anymore. It is far more efficient to change the game to suit the characters rather than the other way around.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Seems to me that a character being good is less so about individual moves and more so about having certain advantages more integral to their design. After having played this game for thousands of hours I've come to the conclusion that there is only a few principles a character has to abide by in order to be any good. And those are hurtbox shifting (size, drift, dodges, etc), low risk (not strictly frame data but the overall picture), and the most important being a strong advantage state.

There is way too much emphasis on neutral in this game when neutral is complete ass to the point of nonexistence. Stage control is meaningless when most characters can cover most of the stage with little effort. Being in the corner isn't inherently a bad thing when you can just casually jump or roll halfway across the stage if your opponent tries to approach. In fact, some players deliberately put themselves into the corner with faster characters in order to bait an approach when theirs isn't working. When neutral is 90% spamming low risk full hop aerials until someone somehow ****s up, the barrier to entry isn't very high.

Disadvantage is also the same way. A good disadvantage is the exception and there's virtually no reason to really consider it when evaluating character strength.

And I think we can see proof of this in character trends over Ultimate's lifespan. Characters that were considered to have a good neutral or mobility attributes like :ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpikachu: have been falling and characters that were considered slow or with a poor neutral like :ultbyleth::ultkazuya::ultsteve: have risen. Neutral has taken a backseat to advantage and having a strong and consistent advantage is the difference.

So when you want to evaluate a character you should be looking at their advantage state first and foremost as that is pretty much what determines a character's viability. Ganondorf suffers not because of his disadvantage, but because he's unable to actually put his theoretical advantage state into practice. His advantage state sounds good on paper until you realize that his strongest moves are situational at best and carry significant risk whereas his safer moves like his aerials are usually stale from all the spam he does in neutral. All of those factors combine to neuter what would otherwise be a powerful enough advantage state to overcome his disadvantage.

Pyra and Mythra suffer because neither have a good advantage state in practice and Mythra's neutral isn't even as good as people say. Mythra's strings are highly dependent on MU and even at their peak aren't greater than what is average for top tier. Pyra has the same issues as Ganondorf and her most practical kill moves are also her neutral tools and therefore stale. Neutral doesn't matter, but advantage does.

But even if neutral did matter, what exactly makes Mythra neutral so good that giving her kill power would make her strong? Yeah, she does have oppressive aerials that make it difficult to dogfight her. But the thing that continues to be ignored is that her shield pressure is complete ass. It isn't even that she does less shield stun, but also that she does less shield damage and her mobility traits and frame data prevent her from being able to continuously strike the opponent's shield. It's not that she's bad on shields so much as she lacks any real counter to them at all.

Some would point to her dash grab and I would point to the dodge mechanic. Did you know that Mythra's dash attack and dash grab have similar startup(9 and 11) and active frames(2)? And that the typical spotdodge has something in the realm of 14 frames of intangibility? And in fact you can use the spotdodge to counter both and prevent mixups?

See the problem with continuing to highlight only a character's good or bad sides is that you miss the flipside of their design. Mythra's arcing and sweeping hitboxs are great for chasing and catching moving characters. But she will never be able to casually back air an opponent's head poking out from a slightly damaged shield like Cloud can. Mythra lacks any sort of precision or nuance and is therefore unfit for the nuance required in top level play.

She only works if the opponent is willing to play her game. Remember the argument that her allegedly oppressive neutral inherently forces people into the corner? Given what I illustrated above, is being in the corner not actually a good counter strategy instead of a last resort? Some top tiers have ungodly levels of shield pressure that will either lead to a poke or force a roll if you get trapped in the corner. People can just casually hang out in the corner versus Mythra because she has no ability to say otherwise. Any commit on her part can lead to an easy reversal thanks to her cumbersome handling.

Whether or not that is a productive strategy depends on who has the lead. And therein lies the root of Pyra and Mythra's problems. Aegis must maintain the lead in order to continue to force the opponent to engage with them. This is the exact issue that Zelda had for the majority of her time in this franchise and neither Pyra nor Mythra have any better answers. No Mythra's speed does not magically make this problem go away. No Pyra is not in fact better with shields than Mythra.

And I can't help but think if this were Smash 4 these characters would be laughed off as low tiers for being unable to approach their opponents. Then you add in that their disadvantage is truly awful to the point of being an exception and you realize that all it takes is one mistake to knock them out of the lead. There's a reason why they only barely win or get completely wrecked. Their damage output is too mediocre to gain huge leads and their disadvantage is such that their opponent can gain an insurmountable lead if they aren't incompetent.

So buff the damage output and knockback of all characters right? Some would benefit from that and a few would probably be legitimate top tiers. But the flipside is the excessive hurtbox shifting preventing anyone from landing a hit, no matter how powerful. You can in fact have the correct spacing and timing on a hard read and still miss because the opponent is able to shift their hurtbox in way that makes it physically impossible to hit them. This leads to all MUs being governed by hitbox coverage vs hurtbox shifting and that's why lots of characters simply aren't viable in this game. Not because there is anything wrong with their inherent design, but because their opponent's hurtbox is literally broken.

And that's why buffs/nerfs never fundamentally changed anything in the game. It's not the values or the size of the moves, it's the coverage in the animation. If Character A's hitbox coverage cannot hit Character B's hurtbox shift it doesn't matter how strong or weak or really what that move does. And that I think is the fundamental problem that effectively breaks this game. There's a certain cabal of characters that have it all in terms of hurtbox shifting. Not just the animations, but the dodge mechanics that can always reset frame advantage, and the extreme aerial drift and/or hurtbox size that allow them to just casually fall out of people's moves. At the same time, these characters retain all advantages from the game's design such as higher damage (relative to other games) and greater freedom of movement.

What that means is that all other things being equal, the shiftier character will win. You can try to increase a character's damage output, but damage output doesn't matter so much if you can guarantee that character can't be hit. And as you might already be able to tell, you can increase/decrease damage values or hitbox size, but you can't redesign the animations without redesigning the game. The devs did attempt to do something about the hurtboxs of the small characters early on but clearly gave up. The problem is ultimately fundamental to Ultimate's design and can't be fixed by patches.

That cabal of characters realistically should be the ones banned rather than the other characters that we've debated. My biggest peeve nowadays is people pretending that the problem lies with most of the cast rather than the small few that break the game and render most of the cast unviable. Not because there is anything inherently strong with them, but because their hurtboxs don't work thanks to Ultimate's trash design. These characters are so broken that they even have a difficult time hitting each other and that's why there are so many characters in top 32 and why there's no consensus on a definitive best character. It's gotten so bad that the only people that consistently place top 3 are people who frequently cycle through several characters in the same tournament.

And as you probably already guessed, the characters bred and designed exclusively for Ultimate are the best among everyone. Not necessarily the newcomers that shipped with the game, the ones that came in the form of DLC. If you look closely, you can see exactly the point when the devs realized what kind of abomination their game was and thus when they started making characters that fit perfectly with this game's design.

And because of that, I think we should stop trying to fix characters that aren't broken and just simply toss a bad game into the garbage. Ultimate has already been considered obsolete by the devs so we shouldn't try make good characters fit a bad game that doesn't matter anymore. It is far more efficient to change the game to suit the characters rather than the other way around.
Honestly, I can't agree with most of this .... Neutral is not unimportant. Ultimate's engine is perfectly competitive as the 2022 season demonstrated. There could be tweeks, sure but as has been mentioned, some characters just aren't designed well for 1v1. What's true evidence to this is that the same characters have always hovered below average. It's the design not the engine. So to make them viable their design needs to change.

Arthur97

Smash Master
What? So who are these fighters you claim break the game because of hurtbox shifting? And are you implying it's a bad thing if there isn't a definitive best in the game?

NairWizard

Somewhere
Don't agree with most of that (like spotdodging Mythra dash grab in neutral? that shouldn't be a seriously common situation, unless it's Leo vs. Cosmos), but I do share some frustrations with Ultimate. It's not the hurtbox shifting though, it's just the low endlag on everything. More than half the cast mashes for free. I miss the days of Smash games where whiffing an aerial or hitting a shield at the wrong time cost you your stock. S4 was a pretty lackluster game overall, but Ultimate is really draining to be competitive in because of the sheer amount of button pressing you have to endure.

The best characters in this game can afford to miss while in advantage and remain in advantage, which is crazy because usually when you miss your advantage state ends.
Thankfully our tippy top players use whiffs to trap or bait (like sparg0 whiffing up-airs to react to the followup aerial option), and that's enjoyable to watch, but then you watch Kola Cloud swinging 500 times without consequence by comparison, in which case the swings are fast but sometimes feel so purposeless.

You ever play an Elite Smash Bayo and have them Heel Slide in neutral repeatedly, without caring what you're doing to punish it, just on the off-chance that you drop your shield or they catch you mid-dash and then it doesn't matter that they weren't paying attention to what you were doing because they just got a bunch of damage?

Yeah, that's this game sometimes, and not just online (and not just Heel Slide, which isn't even particularly hard to deal with offline). Sometimes you can just mash without even looking at your opponent's character model, as long as you've got some level of timing mixup. So I definitely feel some of the frustration from StoicPhantom myself when spectating/playing.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Don't agree with most of that (like spotdodging Mythra dash grab in neutral? that shouldn't be a seriously common situation, unless it's Leo vs. Cosmos), but I do share some frustrations with Ultimate. It's not the hurtbox shifting though, it's just the low endlag on everything. More than half the cast mashes for free. I miss the days of Smash games where whiffing an aerial or hitting a shield at the wrong time cost you your stock. S4 was a pretty lackluster game overall, but Ultimate is really draining to be competitive in because of the sheer amount of button pressing you have to endure.

The best characters in this game can afford to miss while in advantage and remain in advantage, which is crazy because usually when you miss your advantage state ends.
Thankfully our tippy top players use whiffs to trap or bait (like sparg0 whiffing up-airs to react to the followup aerial option), and that's enjoyable to watch, but then you watch Kola Cloud swinging 500 times without consequence by comparison, in which case the swings are fast but sometimes feel so purposeless.

You ever play an Elite Smash Bayo and have them Heel Slide in neutral repeatedly, without caring what you're doing to punish it, just on the off-chance that you drop your shield or they catch you mid-dash and then it doesn't matter that they weren't paying attention to what you were doing because they just got a bunch of damage?

Yeah, that's this game sometimes, and not just online (and not just Heel Slide, which isn't even particularly hard to deal with offline). Sometimes you can just mash without even looking at your opponent's character model, as long as you've got some level of timing mixup. So I definitely feel some of the frustration from StoicPhantom myself when spectating/playing.
Even worse since many low lag moves tend to high damage output, like most of Clouds moves.

There is no reason for moves like Cloud bair to be as safe as they are and still be kill moves.

Last edited:

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
I LOATHE the minimal endlag on everything. I like that there are a lot of moves that are safe on shield, but surely this could've been doable without making so many moves hard to whiff punish. I particularly hate that they let sword moves have low endlag. With that in mind, I cannot stand how they designed Pyra/Mythra, who get the typical Ultimate style low endlag moves, but also so much more.

I hate them. Why does Mythra get to have low landing lag aerials that also are fast enough to be rising aerials while ALSO having a top 10 fast fall speed, all while having top 10(5?) ground speeds? All of this while also being one of the best characters in this game at whiff punishing because of that dash attack. You can even mix it up with a sliding ftilt if you think you're going to hit a shield. Let's not forget these moves are all quite large because they're sword moves. And to top it all off, you get to switch to Pyra on a dime to have access to the best ftilt in the game or the almighty up air when you've got the opponent in a spot where they can die.

I guess they're supposed to be particularly bad at getting back on stage. Even still, we've seen them recover enough times to know it isn't a crippling weakness, at least compared to other sword characters.

Aside from Cloud for the bair and limit moves, why would I play any other sword character?

Now, clearly there must be a lot I'm overlooking since they aren't infesting the top 8 of every tournament. Perhaps someone here could correct me.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Aside from Cloud for the bair and limit moves, why would I play any other sword character?
Roy can pressure harder than any other sword character, and many of the moves he uses in neutral can also kill. If someone wants to play a more rushdown sword character, Roy is a better choice than Aegis or Cloud.

Shulk could also be an option, some people really believe in Shulk. Huge range and Monado Arts. Personally I don't think he's quite as good as the other three but probably still the forth best sword character (either him or Lucina).

NairWizard

Somewhere
Aegis is generally the best, but don't underestimate Lucina and Corrin. Lucina is still so good in today's meta, able to aerially zone out many characters with her floatiness. Against zoners like Pacman and Snake, I'd definitely favor a Lucina pick over an Aegis pick. Aegis can't really whiff punish those characters, while Lucina can float around the edge of their range and sting them with perfectly spaced aerials. It's so satisfying to lock down that archetype with good Lucina play. It's also great fun to go Lucina against Fox on Battlefield, which Aegis probably doesn't want to do. Lucina on Battlefield and Smashville in general is just oppressive in some matchups, whereas Aegis really needs FD or Kalos or something to let their juggling shine.

Corrin is worse than both, but Corrin has matchups where she's clearly the best choice. When playing against Ness or Falco, characters who don't have great neutral but have big reward, playing Corrin is so much less stressful than playing Aegis or Lucina. If you commit at the wrong time in advantage against these characters you will get blown up, but Corrin is just generally so hard to reversal that she doesn't have to worry and can freely up-air them. Similarly I really like going Corrin against Mario and Yoshi because these characters have huge airspeed and like to hang in the air so much. Aegis can't dash attack these characters easily and Lucina can't float in their range without getting hit. Meanwhile Corrin's backwards-facing up-air is one of the best options to space against aerial characters.
Also, it's arguable that both Lucina and Aegis lose the Peach matchup, whereas Corrin ignores half of Peach's mixups with huge arcing hitboxes regardless of the speed disparity. SHADIC just beat MuteAce after Mute's Genesis run in that matchup.

Cloud is of course really good, but most of the swordies in this game are really good. I think Sephiroth, Robin, and Chrom have unique struggles that keep them from being in the same league (yes, I think Corrin is generally more useful than Sephiroth; "better" might be a contentious term), but I also think there's enough meta development waiting for two of those that they can surge ahead too and join the pack.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Aegis is generally the best, but don't underestimate Lucina and Corrin. Lucina is still so good in today's meta, able to aerially zone out many characters with her floatiness. Against zoners like Pacman and Snake, I'd definitely favor a Lucina pick over an Aegis pick. Aegis can't really whiff punish those characters, while Lucina can float around the edge of their range and sting them with perfectly spaced aerials. It's so satisfying to lock down that archetype with good Lucina play. It's also great fun to go Lucina against Fox on Battlefield, which Aegis probably doesn't want to do. Lucina on Battlefield and Smashville in general is just oppressive in some matchups, whereas Aegis really needs FD or Kalos or something to let their juggling shine.

Corrin is worse than both, but Corrin has matchups where she's clearly the best choice. When playing against Ness or Falco, characters who don't have great neutral but have big reward, playing Corrin is so much less stressful than playing Aegis or Lucina. If you commit at the wrong time in advantage against these characters you will get blown up, but Corrin is just generally so hard to reversal that she doesn't have to worry and can freely up-air them. Similarly I really like going Corrin against Mario and Yoshi because these characters have huge airspeed and like to hang in the air so much. Aegis can't dash attack these characters easily and Lucina can't float in their range without getting hit. Meanwhile Corrin's backwards-facing up-air is one of the best options to space against aerial characters.
Also, it's arguable that both Lucina and Aegis lose the Peach matchup, whereas Corrin ignores half of Peach's mixups with huge arcing hitboxes regardless of the speed disparity. SHADIC just beat MuteAce after Mute's Genesis run in that matchup.

Cloud is of course really good, but most of the swordies in this game are really good. I think Sephiroth, Robin, and Chrom have unique struggles that keep them from being in the same league (yes, I think Corrin is generally more useful than Sephiroth; "better" might be a contentious term), but I also think there's enough meta development waiting for two of those that they can surge ahead too and join the pack.
Yes, but what do you think about Cloud vs Aegis? Does he measure up to them?

And which of the three bad swordies do you think have meta developments awaiting them and which one is doomed to forever be the worst swordie?

And where does Ike fit into all of this?

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Now that the 2022 meta has come to a conclusion, and now that the first month of 2023 has concluded with two large events (LMBM and Genesis), I want to fire up some discussion on some thoughts on several characters, how they fit in the meta and their overall standing relative to the cast.

Feel free to add-on or talk more about the characters below, since the point about this post is to instigate more discussion about specific characters, since I feel that the thread is overall too reliant on talking about what happens during each weekend major event to instigate discussion.
Avoid talking more about Pikachu though, since enough has been said about this character by now for this thread. lol

:ultsteve: 2022 hasn't boosted the meta perception of anyone more than Steve, a character that started off as an upper mid/lower high tier at launch, but developed into a serious best character contender thanks to 2022's developments. The character has by far the largest amount of players at high level than anyone else, with only characters like Palutena, Aegis, ROB, and Snake coming close. Interestingly, this is largely from United States representation alone, as the character doesn't have that much high level representation outside of USA.
That being said, his meta has weirdly stabilized? It is quite clear now that acola is head-over-heels way above every other Steve player (and most players in general given how well he plays other characters too). Onin, despite his incredible placements mid-2022, kinda hit a speed bump towards the end of 2022. The other Steve players like Jake and Quandale continues to place well, but whether or not they place past top 12 and sometimes top 32 is very much a toss-up. With acola's losses at Genesis, and Steve players mostly focusing on his incredible normals and stable playstyle, instead of focusing on newly found extremely niche tech, his incredible meta progression of 2022 seems to have slowed down significantly going into the new year. The character, which seemed to go in a pace that would make him seem unstoppable, now has clear holes in his gameplay, matchups, and overall progression. He is still an incredible character, but it seems that the game continues to have an unclear view on who is the undisputed best.
:ultsonic: Remember when this character was considered borderline low tier all throughout the first year of Ultimate? Interesting times those were.
Thanks to the incredible results of Sonix, as well as being pushed thanks to the pure theory of his gameplan (even though he had said gameplan since Brawl), perception on this character is on all time high. Many are projecting him to be a potential top 10, even top 5 character, which would make him higher in tier placing (relative to the cast) than his SSB4 counterpart, despite being overall nerfed from that game.
Personally not quite sure if I completely buy this prospect considering that it is mainly only Sonix that is pushing the character this far (KEN also does, but not quite at the same level, plus he co-mains him now with Sephiroth), but it is interesting to see how far this character has gone since the early days.
:ultwolf: Wolf is in a bit of a bizarre state in the current meta. He is once again a character that sees high levels of representation in especially the mid-to-low levels. However, in comparison to Steve, ROB, Palutena, and Snake, all characters that are popular in all levels of play with their best players (acola/Onin, Zomba/Anathema/BigBoss, Chag, ApolloKage) obtaining amazing consistent high level success, Wolf's success in the highest levels of play is fairly inconsistent in comparison.
We have Ouch!? and Jakal as the main high level representatives of the character. While these two players have occasionally performed excellent in tournaments with upsets to boot, whether this happens is fairly inconsistent and these two don't always participate that often. In tournaments where these two don't participate in and/or don't do their sicko tournament runs, Wolf doesn't really have much in terms of notable success at high level. There is Oryon and Atelier (the latter of which co-mains him with PkMn Trainer), but it all still falls noticeably behind the other above-mentioned characters.
In other words, while Wolf continues to obtain great success in all levels of play, he is not really a character anymore that you point out all the time as an incredibly consistent high level placer.
:ultpokemontrainer: is kind of in the same boat as Wolf, but in an even more awkward state. Still a very good character.
:ultpikachu::ultshulk: Both Pikachu and Shulk, very popular perception-wise pre-quarantine thanks to the vast potential of these characters, have unfortunately taken a significant fall in both tournament presence and overall perception going into the 2022 meta.

For Pikachu, after ESAM's incredible victory at Glitch 8.5 in the second-half of 2021, Pikachu has taken a large back seat throughout the rest of the post-quarantine era. ESAM himself has unfortunately not performed all that great in most major tournaments. His transition to using the BOX controller scheme and picking up Mii Brawler as a secondary, has unfortunately not paided off so far, although it may potentially change in the future if he continues to dedicate his time into these changes. As of right now, ShinyMark, followed by closely Neeroz, are the current champions of the character. ShinyMark's tournament performance at Smash Factor 9 is particularly impressive. However, their placements are still rather inconsistent and not that numerous outside of their own region (also, still falling much behind relative to other top 20/25 characters).
The general meta as a whole has became less kind to the character as well, as the extremely inconsistent explosiveness of the character is falling behind in favor of characters with easier access to their explosiveness, better ranged gameplay, and less need to play perfectly to gain access to their win conditions.

For Shulk, it is a more unfortunate case, as Shulk during quarantine and at the start of post-quarantine very good with Kome getting consistent top placings in high level Japanese tournaments. Unfortunately going into a lot of 2022, Kome's results started to trail off, getting major Japanese top 8s less consistently. His results are still good mind you, but it isn't that great when considering that he is pretty much main herald of Shulk results now with Nicko now being semi-active. jaredisking1 has put on quite a show lately, which is pretty cool for the character. However overall, the character both results and meta-wise has fallen behind in comparison to characters within the top 20/25, to the point where a lot of players considers him high tier now.
The current Ultimate environment is in no shortage of powerful sword characters, with Roy and Lucina remaining great, Aegis being introduced as a versatile sword character, and the rise of Cloud in all levels of play. Shulk with his poor frame data, approach, and disadvantage (if Shield Art is on cooldown) is a character that is overall too reliant on keeping the opponent in disadvantage, where he truly shines.

:ultbyleth::ult_terry: These two stalwarts from Fighter's Pass 1 are both in a rather uncomfortable position in the current metagame. These two, especially Byleth, has obtained incredible results thanks to MkLeo and Riddles, respectively, but both are very reliant on these players for essentially 95% of their relevant results.
For Byleth, MkLeo is recently starting to shift back to his old main in Joker, with Aegis to cover his problematic matchups. While this development is incredible for Joker's meta, and we are already seeing the fruits of this in his recent major placings, this is unfortunately really bad for Byleth's meta. While Leo did briefly use Byleth for MuteAce at the start of their sets, it didn't really work and Joker was used to ultimately beat him in grand finals. Outside of Leo, Byleth has a low overall playerbase, especially at high levels of play. If MkLeo is truly focusing away from Byleth going into the rest of 2023, then that will definitely be a huge blow to Byleth's meta and overall results.
Terry is another character that sees very little representation outside of his best player, as there are barely any high level representatives of the character and they don't perform to anywhere close what Riddles has done with the character in the past. As such, Riddles' focus to primarily Kazuya ever since his incredible win at The Big House has been quite a huge blow to Terry's metagame.
:ultsheik: Sheik is also at a weird spot where her overall theory is definitely higher perception-wise than her current results and representation. The overall theory is that she is potentially an upper high tier, even top tier character thanks to her incredible neutral game, which she will always have thanks to her overall toolkit and attributes. However, she is weird in the fact that most of her results are international results, primarily from Japan. Eim is the character's current champion, with Mr.R's recent focus on primarily Sheik aiding him quite a bit in catching up. However even with the international contributions, the character is definitely still not performing at the heights of what her theory suggests.
That being said, with low overall results in both major and North American events, it is hard to gauge how good she is relative to other high tiers like Sephiroth, Shotos, Falco, Bayo, etc.
:ultluigi: While there are some very notable Luigi players stepping up to the plate, rising up in results, and hold up the green plumber's overall placing the meta, such players being the likes of Luugi and WaKa to name the main two, the character definitely took a serious blow after Elegant's ban, who provided incredible results for the character with a series of top 6 placings at a few majors in a row late 2021. Even back in SSB4, Elegant carried the entire character's meta behind him, so without him, the character will suffer as a result.
Still considered pretty good, especially thanks to the aforementioned rise of the other players, but with the rise of characters like Corrin, Bayo, Mega Man, and Sora, characters also usually put in the borderline tier area, Luigi's meta prospects will look worse no matter which way you look at it.
:ultrosalina: Rosalina is a weird one. With incredible amounts of tech and Dabuz getting a large amount of notable wins for the character, the character has quite a bit going for her. However, Dabuz is not a solo Rosalina player, such a tri-main with her alongside Min Min and Olimar. Outside of him, there is also extremally minimal Rosalina representation, especially at high level. Homika does decently well, but that is it. The influx of great Japanese Rosalinas have also taken a hit, with Kirihara dropping her for Sheik and yuzu now dual-maining her with Min Min.
As such, I honestly have no idea idea how good Rosalina is.
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: Minor thing, but I do like to point out that in the UltRank 2022 has three Young Link players in it, but none is ranked within the top 60. In the meantime, Sigma's Toon Link placed 44th in the rankings, outplacing them all considerably. Not really huge in terms of their overall tier or meta placement, but it does show that Young Link's result have stabilized considerably.
:ultmetaknight: MK is another odd one when looking at the UltRank 2022, as there has two notable representatives of the character in Abadango and Yei, at 49th and 85th, respectively. However, Meta Knight is only one of many characters they use in their roster, with Abadango is noted to use Palutena, Samus, and Pikachu, while Yei is noted to use Palutena, Byleth, and Sephiroth. Abadango as of late is primiarly using Palutena and Samus in his tournament runs as well. In other words: what tier is this character is exactly? He feels like both mid and low tier at the same time.
:ulthero: Hero, after reaching an all-time high in terms of high levels results in late 2021, thanks to Akakikusu, has taken a bit of a back seat in 2022. Similar to Shulk, the Japanese sensational is Hero's only real source of high level results, as the character's representation and results are very lacking outside of him. Unfortunately for the character, Akakikusu's is unable to replicate his late 2021 success throughout 2022, with major results as inconsistent as the character he plays, and generally unable to reach his earlier peaks. Sadly since he, again, is Hero's only real source of high level results, Hero's overall presence on the meta takes a notable blow for this as a result, which is combined with other mid tiers beginning to advance past him.
Akakikusu still places fairly well, but Hero's entire metagame continues to ride on the back of him alone. Hero in the end isn't really designed with being a competitive metagame stalwart in mind, perhaps for the better.
:ultlink: Poor Link is all I have to say. While fellow early meta top tier Ike took the blow of the meta's new harshness earlier in the post-quarantine era, Link definitely felt these effects all throughout 2022. T transitioning to perform only in smaller scale tournaments, and not doing too well in the major tournaments he does go in, hurts Link's results and overall metagame perception significantly. RaZe is arguably the character's best placing player right now, but even then, it is not great enough to stop the character's metagame from hitting the lowest he has been since the game came out.
Still a very solid character, but with the significant drop in his metagame presence and the advancements of other characters, some of which where formerly mid tier, regaining high tier status has became a goal further and further out of reach for Link as time goes on.
:ultwiifittrainer: What happened to this character? Wii Fit Trainer was performing decently well throughout the earlier to even mid portions of the post-quarantine era. Even if the results is reminiscent of a mid tier character, she was still showing some good promise. Then suddenly, she just kinda vanished. Her best players have started to participate a bit less often and started to perform worse in major tournaments.
In my eyes, Wii Fit Trainer HATES the current meta trends. She is always a character with a fundamentally flawed moveset with some of the most awkward hitboxes known to mankind, a lot of them requiring to be virtually inside of the opponent to land. They are hitboxes that enables unique gimmicks, but it ultimately hurts her in comparison to a normal character. She hates that spacing characters (such as swordies) or zone-breaking characters have become more popular in the metagame, and hates that prominence of stronger set-up characters such as Steve or Pac-Man in the metagame as well.

:ultsora::ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff: Here it is: the most awkward group of characters in the current metagame. These are the ones that rose a lot in metagame presence in 2022, but is largely carried by one single player.

Sora, the character you are still likely in disbelief that he came out at the after the rest of FP2's metagame monsters, is really enjoying the incredible placements Kameme is showing with the character. Sora is the most interesting one of the group in that he is clearly better than the other three listed (even before Kameme), but still falls in the same category. Kameme showed amazing proficiency in utilizing all of Sora's tools to fight against in each matchup thrown against him, even the ones seen as tough for Sora (well except for Light's Fox lol). However, as I eluded to in an earlier post:
1675366613922.png

Kameme is singlehandely carrying the character's results, with his other players not being very numerous, as well as not performing all that great in tournaments (especially major ones). The above chart from OrionRank shows that Sora has the second-highest gap between the #1 and #2 best player. This suggests that while maybe the character is initially underestimated (since the character was initially seen as mid tier-at-best), it can be largely attributed to Kameme being an amazing player and not Sora being some hidden top tier/upper end of high tier (afterall, he is the man who got 2nd at EVO 2016 with solo SSB4 Mega Man), at least as of right now. Kameme continues to perform excellently in tournaments with solo Sora (most of the time), but time will tell if others can catch up or the character remains a one-man crew.

While Big D's Ice Climbers has been known for a while in 2022, he popped off in results for the character during the second-half of 2022. Ice Climbers is a unique case in the fact that the character does actually have a decent amount reps in Japan, although their results there are only decent-at-best. At the end, Big D still singlehandely holds most of Ice Climber's competitive success, especially at high level. However, the character is also infamous for not only being an uncommon character that can malfunction at any second, but also being the game's ultimate matchup check character. It is hard to prepare for good Ice Climbers, and even so, you only really have Big D to worry about in bracket. But if you are unprepared when you do run into Big D, he will win, simple as that (unless the matchup is really that bad for ICs).

Both Incineroar and Jigglypuff are both old news at this point: Skyjay and BassMage are amazing players that has spearheaded the metagame of otherwise very mediocre characters. That being said, which these two still performs very well at even high level events, their explosive results have somewhat calmed down as of late. Skyjay doesn't go to many major events anymore, largely performing at regional Mexico events, while BassMage is now one of the most prolific major tournament players. However the story is similar: both, especially BassMage, are running into very difficult walls in bracket regardless of skill difference, and thus isn't performing as high as their skillset otherwise would say. This is definitely making myself leaning towards them being amazing players with lesser used characters, than the strength of the characters themselves. Even with Skyjay and BassMage pouring results into the character, it still remains very low relative to most of the cast, especially in Puff's case, so the situation is still iffy for the both of them.

:ultkrool::ultgunner: K. Rool and Gunner are in similar boats as the above group, but even with their amazing best player carrying the boatload of the results, that being KirbyKid and Capitancito respectively, their overall results are still pretty low with inconsistent placings at larger events. Similar to Big D and BassMage, KirbyKid still ends up losing certain sets despite his overall skill level, due to the glaring weaknesses of K. Rool. In the meantime for Gunner, the character narrowly beats out Sora for the highest gap between the #1 and #2 player, but even with the gap, the overall results put together is still very low.
1675377491472.png

In other words even when pushed to their seemingly peak limit, both of these characters still run into glaring problems in bracket. K. Rool is the amalgamation of all the issues super-heavies typically suffer from, while also having poor mobility. Gunner is strong when it meets its win condition (ledgetrapping), but when not ledgetrapping, Gunner is a slow sack of bricks with poor frame data and falls completely apart when pressured.

That is all the characters I want to talk about for now. Feel free to reply and lend your thoughts about the characters discussed above (or any character for that matter). Again, the purpose of this post is to fire up some character discussion and provide an analysis on how the 2022 meta has affected them. This post mostly covers characters that have sort of stabilized, in a weird state, or has fallen off in the meta from 2022, but I am willing to talk about the huge winners of 2022, such as Cloud, Mario, Kazuya, Samus, Bayonetta, Corrin, etc.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Dire times to be a Belmont fan; three of the most prominent players are planning to hang up the whip. Squidplumber is especially a heartbreaker since he's become a fan favorite recently, but either way it looks like we're likely to see a lot less of the little mid-tier that could.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Yes, but what do you think about Cloud vs Aegis? Does he measure up to them?
He's in the same tier for sure, but probably a bit lower if you're looking at performance against the cast. Characters like Pacman hate fighting Cloud, but characters like Fox and Sonic have a harder time vs. Aegis. Aegis wins some of Cloud's winning matchups harder, which is why sparg0 went Aegis vs. Miya and vs. Demon the Bayonetta.

Cloud's real problem is predictability. I always know what Cloud is looking for in every situation. The counterplay to what he's going to do can be hard, but it's manageable. With Aegis in many matchups you sit in the corner and hope they overcommit and try to get a low-% gimp on them. It's a gameplan for sure, but not a super fun or compelling one, and unlikely to withstand years of meta development.

And which of the three bad swordies do you think have meta developments awaiting them and which one is doomed to forever be the worst swordie?
I don't know if they're bad -- I just think they're not useful. As in, there's no reason for me to pick Chrom, Sephiroth, or Robin over other swordies who do similar things in a better way.

But I have hope for Chrom and Sephiroth.

Chrom can be pushed so much further and can probably win MUs like Pikachu/Ness/Mario harder than almost anyone else with proper investment in neutral.
Meanwhile, Sephiroth can be pushed harder in advantage--getting those early KOs can make him a top choice against Cloud and Lucina, his fellow swordies.

I have no hope in Robin. The recovery is too terrible for what their kit provides, and Arcfire disappearing on clash with any hitbox is just so painful.

And where does Ike fit into all of this?
Ike is Aegis without Mythra. Not bad, not great, not the worst by a long shot.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
And here I at least suspected Chrom could be the odd one out. Though maybe people gave up on him too fast.

Also interesting that Elwind is one of the big things you have contention with. Honestly, in all my time with Smash, I might could count on two if not one hand how many times I actually had that run out and kill the recovery. At the ledge, maybe, but it also recharges rather quickly. It's not even the worst swordie recovery.

Just seems like they could have untapped potential due to their moves and the general lack of use.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Also interesting that Elwind is one of the big things you have contention with. Honestly, in all my time with Smash, I might could count on two if not one hand how many times I actually had that run out and kill the recovery. At the ledge, maybe, but it also recharges rather quickly. It's not even the worst swordie recovery
it’ll rarely run out but there’s no hit box above Robin during it, Robin’s air speed is nothing special (1.05, same as Rosa), and Robin can’t angle it nearly well as Rosalina, so most good characters can intercept it somehow

given Robin’s kit, she would need to have a Samus-tier recovery or better for the advantage/disadvantage numbers to work out favorably

That or Arcfire would have to be more usable in neutral

Aligo

Smash Ace
In my likely uninformed opinion, one of the biggest issues Robin faces is below average tilts. Their short range and relative slowness makes them very poor keep away tools, a bit like Zelda in previous smash games.

Arthur97

Smash Master
In my likely uninformed opinion, one of the biggest issues Robin faces is below average tilts. Their short range and relative slowness makes them very poor keep away tools, a bit like Zelda in previous smash games.
They are admittedly some pretty bad tilts. Down tilt seems pretty worthless and forward doesn't do a whole lot. Up can juggle a little bit, but is relatively short range for anti air.

But for Elwind, I do find it has some decent variety in angles at least. The Robins aren't complete sitting ducks if nothing else.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Never dawned on me until now that Japan houses a relatively modest contingent of Piranha Plant players. Or maybe I just don't skim enough Top 192 lists; even Lucky found himself having a powerful run last Big House.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah Robin's tilts are a problem.

His jab and Smash are fairly good at doing their jobs, but Robin would love it if his tilts had more range. They're all designed as pokes or get off me tools, but they don't have enough range to do that. His best tilt is probably up tilt because it can at least hit from below platforms on occasion.

I don't even want to talk about the travesty that is his Forward Tilt.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Forgot if this is posted yet in this thread, but apparently Steve's shield is bugged.

Apparently this was already known among the Steve folks for a while, but no one took notice until now.

Edit:
Zackray just reached top 8 loser's of Kagaribi 9 with solo :ultpit:.
After being sent to loser's, went on a kill steak of beating Choco:ultzss: 3-1, Umeki:ultdaisy: 3-1, NEO:ultcorrinf: 3-1, Rizeasu 3-0, and Kameme:ultsora: 3-1 to make it to top 8. The funny thing about the Kameme win, is that Zackray lost to him as Joker the last time they fought, only to now beat him convincingly as Pit.
I mean, brought to you by the man who won a Kagaribi major event with solo :ultsora: at the first month of his release, Zackray can just sometimes do insane stuff like this.

Edit 2: I guess here is top 8 of Kagaribi 9, which is going to start soon.

Winner's
acola:ultsteve: vs KEN:ultsephiroth::ultsonic:
Yoshidora:ultyoshi: vs Asimo:ultryu:

Loser's
HERO:ultbowser: vs Nao:ultmario:
Eim:ultsheik: vs Zackray:ultpit:

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Chiming in after a long time to just say that it's super funny to me to see the conversation be about the death of neutral and the power creep of FP2, only for Zackray to get 3rd at Kagiribi #9 with the Pits, aka Fundies McNeutral.

It's like Zackray really took Pit's Jack-of-All-Trades status and made it work.

Top Bottom