• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
- Everyone saying Pichu is too light to be the best should be thankful that Pichu's that light, because the character's actually insane and would be the best if she didn't blow up at 70.
I feel like Pichu struggles with swordies, which alone should disqualify Pichu from top slot in a game with this many strong ones.

- Ridley probably has the least cohesive kit in the game.
I absolutely agree that his kit has no cohesion, but I feel like Bowser Jr's is much less cohesive.

- This isn't a competitive impression or anything, but with both SonicFox and GO1 using the Belmonts I wonder if they appeal to other FGC players in general, or if that's just coincidental.
The only thing I can come up with is their lack of air control is similar to traditional fighting games. That seems like a really shallow reason to pick a character though, so I doubt that's it.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Speaking of players being down on their old mains, I get the impression from Twitter that a lot old Mewtwo players are disappointed in the changes the character received.

"But wait! Didn't Mewtwo get a ton of awesome things?" Yes, but it seems like players were kinda spoiled when it comes to Mewtwo. They not only want the ability to do a running down tilt, but they want that down tilt to keep comboing as well as Smash 4. It's not enough that all characters are affected by air dodge changes; they want to be able to attack immediately out of air dodge. Somehow, Confusion having a better recovery isn't worth losing the move as a mobility tool.

I don't know, man. Is this the fate of all characters who lose some aspect of their game plan from the previous gen?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
...why? Discussion on echoes has been really healthy so far and the only reason I can see you bringing this up is to stir the pot, which is not a good idea.
I'm just speaking from experience, apologies if it's a bit preemptive. I haven't really looked at the discussion so far, but it's something I am worried about in the future at least. When discussion in here picks up, I feel like these debates will come back again.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's is easily the most useful, but that feels disingenuous because the actual command grab kinda sucks. You use it for the movement, not the grab.

Isabelle's can tether and is very good for ledgetrapping, but has slow startup that makes it bad in neutral, and it's technically a hit-throw, not a command grab.

I'd say in terms of use as a command grab, Incineroar's is the best, doing a ludicrous 25% and killing as early as that would imply, which is only further boosted by Revenge.
It can also be used to be an anti gimp tool if your opponent tries to hit you with a back air, you can use it, fail the attack and recover.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Q for the thread: who are your top tiers? TBH IDK about every character but so far Chrom, Olimar, Pikachu, really stand out with Cloud, Diddy and maybe Marcina looking strong.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Pichu struggles with swordies, which alone should disqualify Pichu from top slot in a game with this many strong ones.
Is Mario still destroyed by almost anyone with a sword??

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Speaking of players being down on their old mains, I get the impression from Twitter that a lot old Mewtwo players are disappointed in the changes the character received.

"But wait! Didn't Mewtwo get a ton of awesome things?" Yes, but it seems like players were kinda spoiled when it comes to Mewtwo. They not only want the ability to do a running down tilt, but they want that down tilt to keep comboing as well as Smash 4. It's not enough that all characters are affected by air dodge changes; they want to be able to attack immediately out of air dodge. Somehow, Confusion having a better recovery isn't worth losing the move as a mobility tool.

I don't know, man. Is this the fate of all characters who lose some aspect of their game plan from the previous gen?
Mewtwo's an interesting case. With how high the cielings are, his uthrow kills noticeably later than it used to. But that also means he lives longer, and he got a weight buff too. I don't know about other people, but I preferred his explosive kill power over surviving longer. Then you factor in how recoveries have been nerfed across the board and he can edgeguard just as well as ever, he should be getting more kills offstage than ever before.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I feel Ridley neutral would a ton better if his Fair and Bair did not have so much landing lag on them (especially bair) . I played this character and it felt like to me that his kit feels clunky. He feels like a clunky character to me. Down-Tilt has it uses with range but I don't think it actually combos when spaced (main benefit of the move) and it's unsafe on hit at very low percents too (i saw a Wolf being able to fair chain ridley after getting hit with d-tilt at low percent....yeah). Up-B is just weird and makes his edge-guarding awkward to use too.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
But seriously, can anyone explain Ridley to me? I agree with the previous thoughts, I have no idea what this character is doing or what his deal is. Zero.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
But seriously, can anyone explain Ridley to me? I agree with the previous thoughts, I have no idea what this character is doing or what his deal is. Zero.
I was curious too, so I decided to watch the vods from Cosmos' stream where he fought Plup and ESAM earlier today.

My conclusion is that you Nair as much as is humanly possible until your opponent's at kill percent, then use whatever the **** to kill because like half your moveset does so.

Spacing is also generally a good idea because your tail has a tipper.

That's pretty much it. His gameplan is primarily one move. He does also use his other moves occasionally, ftilt being probably the second most used, but it's mostly Nair.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon Trainer, Olimar, and Snake are probably all going to be under-the-radar top tiers that get discussed less for various reason, the first two especially.
Definitely agree regarding Pokemon Trainer. There will definitely be some untapped tech due to the unique mechanics of pokemon switch. For example, there is already some pretty cool stuff that is being found out with the switch timer skips (https://twitter.com/TSM_Leffen/status/1073024292244340737).

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Ridley’s gameplan is to use his neutral tools to pressure you offstage and then edgeguard you. He has a lot of moves that excell at mid-range, and most of his juggling is horizontal. He can go deep and nair a lot of characters to their deaths, and his side-b is a mixup tool that guarantees free stage control if you block too much against him.

I’ve been playing a lot of Ridley lately, and he’s good. Not bad, not great... good. Weight, mobility, and hitboxes help make up for a meh combo game and bad disadvantage outside of recovery situations, which he’s pretty good at for a heavy. His projectile is actually pretty oppressive against some characters too.

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Ridley
I'm finding success in the neutral comes spacing and frame trapping with fair, d-tilt and forward tilt. Mix in Nairs to stir the gravy.

With short hops, multiple jumps and the multi hit fair, you can control a decent amount of space in front of him and even slip in a cheeky down b (though its only for style. There are far safer ways to build damage and nothing seems guaranteed out of it).

If you want earlier kills, Side B comes into play once people start trying to shield your fairs. Sets up edge guards and kills at nice parents. Once their off stage, walling with fair is works and hitting with the most southern part of Nair knocks opponents at a devastating angle, pure horizontal knock back. You'll have to get out there for the nair though. If your opponents got a hit box on their up-b and within range of the ledge, you'll lose to them.

Nair'ing this way at the ledge also puts the opponent in a horrible position and is pure doom chrom like recoveries at high percents.

His recovery is super rigid, but he's heavy, can use side b straight away and has jumps to get by on. When edge guarding, up b diagonal backwards gives you a little height too. which I'm very thankful for.

His neutral B is, situational. Fun but not good. Wrecks chrom recoveries and builds damage on sleeping opponents but is not a neutral tool. Its not strong enough to justify the baked in counter play.

Nair seems better than up air in most scenarios and back air kills so that's good for the gravy too.

Overall, i'd say he's average. His kit is cohesive but not that flexible.

I got ninja'd hard, but I'm happy we mostly agree.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Cloud doesn’t strike me as an obvious top tier in the same way as Marthlings, Diddy, Inkling and Pikachu/Pichu do. His range nerf is really significant. I don’t see him as the best or necessarily even a top tier swordie despite still being a strong character overall.

Legitimately discussing Pichu as a top tier contender is the stuff of dreams

Routa

Smash Lord
In the game's early meta characters like Snake and Behlmonts will have easier time due to their effective neutral that forces opponent to play their game. Currently best option to deal with them is to try to out do them on their own game: camping. Lack of mobility and fast options make them very easy targets to out camp. There has already been some discussion that characters like YL and Tink will be their doom due to them out doing them + being able to move around them with relative ease. I do believe that we will see steep decline in their performance after the summer season.

Bjurrse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bjurrse
Ill give my thougts on Mii brawler. He is fast as hell and can be annoying, but so far he struggles to kill. Feint jump is laggy as hell. Still good for recovery mixups, no charged punch anymore. The grab sife b is good as it threatens shield. He has really shprt range and struggles vs swords. And his up-b is not a great killmove anymore.

His mobility makes me think he is still good, but for now I'd almost say he is the worst mii. Gunner by far is the best.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was confused about Ridley.
Then I discovered Back Air.
Then I discovered people trying to get through this god damn massive monstrosity of a foot extension, and up smashed or dash attacked them.

Their size kinda limits their overall capabilities though.

Last edited:

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
His projectile is actually pretty oppressive against some characters too.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be quick to discount Ridley’s fireballs. Imagine that youre, say, Squirtle on Battlefield, and Ridley is on the other side of the stage, under one of the low platforms, puking out fireballs. What’s your option? This situation is lowkey super annoying whenever you play against him with a projectile-less rushdown character.

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I wouldn’t be quick to discount Ridley’s fireballs. Imagine that youre, say, Squirtle on Battlefield, and Ridley is on the other side of the stage, under one of the low platforms, puking out fireballs. What’s your option?
Jump to the other platform, drop down behind him and punish.

The move has ample endlag

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Q for the thread: who are your top tiers? TBH IDK about every character but so far Chrom, Olimar, Pikachu, really stand out with Cloud, Diddy and maybe Marcina looking strong.
Diddy Kong, King K.Rool, Pikachu, Lucina and Chrom are my top contenders as of now. And of course the Belmont’s.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I don't know about top tier specifically, but the strongest looking so far to me are Diddy, Pikachu, *maybe Inkling, Ryu and Ken, Mewtwo, Chrom, Lucina, Roy, maybe Olimar, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Toon Link and Sonic as well.
Just my impressions based on potential though. I don't exactly expect to see top Kens dominating the first major event or anything like that, but I think down the line he'll have maybe been figured out enough to bring some important wins. I actually don't think Chrom or Roy will be top material for long. They both have a lot of weaknesses that will keep them from sticking around, but right now they're super easy to use and get results with, so.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about top tier specifically, but the strongest looking so far to me are Diddy, Pikachu, *maybe Inkling, Ryu and Ken, Mewtwo, Chrom, Lucina, Roy, maybe Olimar, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Toon Link and Sonic as well.
Just my impressions based on potential though. I don't exactly expect to see top Kens dominating the first major event or anything like that, but I think down the line he'll have maybe been figured out enough to bring some important wins. I actually don't think Chrom or Roy will be top material for long. They both have a lot of weaknesses that will keep them from sticking around, but right now they're super easy to use and get results with, so.
When people get the hang of parries and edgeguarding in this game, we will probably see the decline of Chrom and Roy. Even though I like Chrom.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Jump to the other platform, drop down behind him and punish.

The move has ample endlag
And this is why I stagger my fireballs. Sometimes I go full charge and see how they respond. Then other times I only go half charge so I can see them trying to cross the gap and punish me and Whoops! I've already recovered and can catch 'em with their pants down.

Same goes for while their off stage. Occasionally change up the fireball count to make them react, then rush off stage and intercept.

Sets up edge guards and kills at nice parents.
10/10 auto-spelling correct.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Hopefully not. That is, imo, the worst part about competitive Smash. Characters filtering out of the meta and then stagnating.
As long as they don't add a Smash4 Bayonetta esque character as DLC, I don't think that'll happen to this game anytime soon.

There are no major sore thumbs sticking out right now either. I've yet to see something like the Smash4 Diddy HooHah

Augi

Smash Cadet
Snake has such a varied kit with strong close-combat attacks, once people have him mastered he'll be crazy to fight against.

As strong as the FE characters are right now... I just don't see them staying that way for long. I feel like whatever meta is developed will push them out of the top spot, but they'll be right below it.

The Pika's are incredible; and as strong as Pikachu is, I'm twice as terrified of a Pichu. Pichu is a Pikachu with RECKLESS ABANDON. Very fast, very damaging, and has already cast aside its sense of self-preservation. It will hammer you non-stop until you yield or it dies. Once people have her speed potential under control... watch out.

I have not seen a lot of Shulks in my time online... how is he shaping up? He seems much less annoying in this game, which is good, cus I absolutely hated fighting him.

And each day that goes by the more and more confident I am that Palutena feels like she has a full, useful kit; ready to wreak havoc.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
The Belmonts are too exploitable offstage to be top tier. And before anyone mentions Cloud as a top tier with poor recovery in 4: the Belmonts, unlike Cloud, do not have excellent frame data, ground & aerial maneuverability.
I think Inkling is the best character in the game at this time

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
He is essentially a swordsman in a dragon suit.

Other people have said it as well, but nair/ftilt/dtilt cover a lot of midrange options and makes that zone hard for opponents to get in on. This encourages shielding, which he punishes with his command grab. This of course grants a ton of stage control/sets him up to play the mid-range game again. USmash is a huge, powerful hitbox that covers people trying to jump over/roll behind your zoning tools (esp given it hits from behind). Dash attack covers people trying to get away. Bair is strong but the hitbox isn't the greatest

Overall he seems to be a character you want to use your good pokes to pressure people into making a big bad commitment, off of which you blow them up.

I agree with Mister M Mister M that he isn't that flexible gameplan wise, so it's either he does what he does and it works or he gets blown up. The faster characters who can easily get in his face and keep him in disadvantage hurt him a lot

Rizen

Smash Legend
In the game's early meta characters like Snake and Behlmonts will have easier time due to their effective neutral that forces opponent to play their game. Currently best option to deal with them is to try to out do them on their own game: camping. Lack of mobility and fast options make them very easy targets to out camp. There has already been some discussion that characters like YL and Tink will be their doom due to them out doing them + being able to move around them with relative ease. I do believe that we will see steep decline in their performance after the summer season.
Belmont's projectiles have better priority than YL's projectiles. Cross goes right through YL's spam. I do think YL ultimately outcamps them but it's not as bad as it first appears. IMO the Belmonts will start out great but decline once players learn how to exploit them through juggling and edge guarding.

trickroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
orangeguy1201
Switch FC
SW 6607 1457 7300
Speaking of top tiers, I wanna talk about another character that some of the best minds for the game think is really strong: Lucario. ANTi is planning on maining him at the time of writing this, and many other good players agree. I’ve played him myself on QP, and I really think this is a scary character. The aura billows into these massive hitboxes on his smashes and bair. He has everything he had in Sm4sh (besides a high rage multiplier) with improved tools to boot. I can easily see him making top 10, even after people get better at the game and can kill him easier/shield aura sphere.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yknow that saying... Ones trash is anothers treasure. I'm sure we'll see players who get used to their changes come along and push them.

Browny

Smash Hater
Speaking of top tiers, I wanna talk about another character that some of the best minds for the game think is really strong: Lucario. ANTi is planning on maining him at the time of writing this, and many other good players agree. I’ve played him myself on QP, and I really think this is a scary character. The aura billows into these massive hitboxes on his smashes and bair. He has everything he had in Sm4sh (besides a high rage multiplier) with improved tools to boot. I can easily see him making top 10, even after people get better at the game and can kill him easier/shield aura sphere.
Even as a die-hard Lucario fan (My desk is literally full of Lucario figurines), I think he has a lot of problems that need fixing with his oos options being #1. The fact that nair oos can't even many characters from point blank is a glaring flaw, he may be the only character in the entire game with this problem. Not only that, his uptilt and upsmash oos hit behind him first and upb is of course useless; Lucario could very well have the worst shielding options of the entire cast. Until nair is either made faster or hits lower, he is going to struggle hard against shield pressure characters.

If anti is going to main him, cool. I certainly won't get my hopes up, he always seems to main the easiest, best character in the game and in no universe is Lucario considered an easy character.

I am still forever mad at what they did to him with nerfing his fsmash range horrendously
1544808042803.png

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Snake has a 5f dash attack with invincible head and arms that travels very far. He can also outbox most of the cast with a 3f jab and 4f ftilt at close range, and a dtilt at mid range that basically outranges swordies and can be spammed safely. Snake can actually mix up defense and aggression pretty well, the Belmonts can't (in comparison anyway), so I don't think you can categorize the two together like that.

YL can be a pain in the neutral but the camping game isn't completely in his favor because nades wall everything he has; who dictates the pace depends on who gets their rhythm going with their projectiles first. The Belmonts actually feel tougher for Snake because their cross and whip go through nades and Snake struggles approaching aerially, but then again I probably just suck vs them.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's important to make the distinction in YL's camping from SSB4 Link's. In SSB4 Link's bombs out-prioritized almost everything that wasn't multi-hit. YL's bombs get bounced back by Pikachu's thunder jolts without stopping them. YL can't power through opponent's projectiles, instead he must outmaneuver them.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
The Belmonts actually feel tougher for Snake because their cross and whip go through nades and Snake struggles approaching aerially, but then again I probably just suck vs them.
Stop, drop and roll crawl when they take out the cross ;) the whip can be a tad tricky though if they angle it down. With that match-up though I find once Snake is in on them he can begin to outpace their neutral. But they exploit his recovery and juggle him badly, particularly their reach in their aerials means they can hit Snake holding a grenade and not worry about getting caught in the blast. If they use their long range aerials anyways, and not a dash attack or wtvr. They're a tricky matchup for him indeed.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Belmont fair/bair/ftilt strike me as moves which you must learn to parry. Unlike some smashes you aren't in a horrible situation if you mess up and get bair'd, so the risk reward is pretty good going for parries. If you have a good groundspeed/dashattack/running tilt (most everyone this game, which is phenomenal) his dair really isn't that great for returning to the ground. And again, gimp his recovery every time you can.

They are still good, but remind me of s4 greninja's fair a bit. If you don't have experience its gonna hit you 20x and cost you the game alone, but if you hit the lab and learn to parry it, suddenly their walling is a lot less scary.

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
Top tiers for me so far are Belmonts, Diddy, Chroy, Lucina, Marth (if the player's spacing is on point) and Pika. Sleepers are Yoshi, Fox, Inkling, Olimar and Poke trainer

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Belmont fair/bair/ftilt strike me as moves which you must learn to parry. Unlike some smashes you aren't in a horrible situation if you mess up and get bair'd, so the risk reward is pretty good going for parries. If you have a good groundspeed/dashattack/running tilt (most everyone this game, which is phenomenal) his dair really isn't that great for returning to the ground. And again, gimp his recovery every time you can.

They are still good, but remind me of s4 greninja's fair a bit. If you don't have experience its gonna hit you 20x and cost you the game alone, but if you hit the lab and learn to parry it, suddenly their walling is a lot less scary.
From the matches I've seen people are still trying to play SSB4 (in SSBU). Myself included. Once we learn to parry and airdodge effectively the meta will change. I expect certain characters who have Brawl Zelda/SSB4 Yoshi syndrome to drop. The belmonts will still be good but not top tiers.

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong, King K.Rool, Pikachu, Lucina and Chrom are my top contenders as of now. And of course the Belmont’s.
Although K Rool has some bonkers things going for him (two moves that bury, difficult recovery to punish if coming from below the ledge, armour on many moves) I think he'll eventually slide down the tier list a bit. His hurtbox is absolutely huge and his weight will make him combo food against certain characters. His armour is the only one in the game that has a pseudo shield break mechanic. I have no doubts he'll always be highish tier but these could hold him back from top of the heap.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
God help me, I'm actually playing online.

Making my way through the roster in quickplay, through the first 4 rows. It hasn't really been *that* bad. The real surprise of this journey was the Pits; I full agree with Shaya Shaya now. The only real let-down so far was G&W. I'm also curious how the lay of the land will treat Mega Man?

I feel like my experience might not be that useful though? The opponents I've gotten have been... not terrible, but not great. People tend to be just "using moves well", with no higher-level principles. (And a few ragequit after losing a stock.) My GSP is 1.33m, and almost all my opponents are well under a million? It might be for the best, as I have zero desire to play online seriously. Parrying is going to be rather important, and any serious attention devoted to online play is very likely to spoil that.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I firmly believe that the people classifying the Belmonts as zoners have not truly examined their gameplan or how they work. They are terrible at continuous long range zoning (without a large amount of really stellar guesses on their part), but where they thrive is that their moves link together quite nicely and push you to the ledge, where they then proceed to not let you play the game for about 30 seconds or more, and then you either die or have to deal with them in neutral again. This is how I believe they will be played optimally, because one neutral win for them (if it involves ideal conditions which are simple, either hit with Cross or land a Nair into grab etc.) generally means you are pushed quite far and have to either try and land or go to the ledge.

Cross and Holy Water synergize quite well with their ledge traps and Axe is never not a threat because not only does it do a ton of damage and send you up above them (ideal for pressuring your landing or hitting you on platforms) but it also kills at high %. To complete their ideal "ledge death" philosophy, they are also equipped with two high % kill throws (F-Throw and B-Throw) that are really only good at the ledge, which is fine, because thats where their setplay and strengths orient to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom