• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Something I am a bit confused on is how Kazuya managed to achieve 177 points in OrionStats at #21. In the previous season, and for the longest time this season, he has barely at the top 40, if not at the bottom of it. Suddenly, he is on the brink of breaking top 20 despite nothing much changing about his meta presence? It can't just be Riddles, since he is still primarily a Terry player and that character is at #33 with Bayo and Sheik, so I am a bit confused here. Is it another Sephiroth situation where his results is inflated by scattered regional results?
I know there's a couple of Kazuya players in non NA regions, obviously there's Tea and Acola's Kazuya secondaries but also Ferps and Tarik have been doing well with the character as of recent.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I want to make a bigger write up later, but can we all take a moment to appreciate just how far Light has come with his character?

Dude’s been pulling new tricks left and right with his character and has consistently displayed a level of optimization with Fox that’s far more impressive to me than any Pika or Shulk theorycraft. Almost every hit I’ve seen him land in Momocon converted into a 30% or higher combo, having the foresight to react on the fly with even the most unorthodox of conversions between late hit Dash Attack -> BAir, FTilt tech chase set-ups, Dash Attack -> DAir, and even more of that. That’s not even going into how well he’s incorporated his FAir into neutral, both as a jump callout for an easy 30% damage or as an additional kill confirm to compliment his NAir.

When you’re part of the “Congratulations to X player for winning Y” cool kids club along with fellow members MKLeo and Sparg0, you know you’ve made it good lol.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Steve might just be a character you have to counterpick.

That's not a new concept. No character wins every match. Counterpick him if you want to win or prepare to be lamed out.

I love Steve for the same reason I love Jiggs in Melee. They are reminders that optimal Smash is actually a campfest no matter how much the community wishes it wasn't.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Something I am a bit confused on is how Kazuya managed to achieve 177 points in OrionStats at #21. In the previous season, and for the longest time this season, he was barely outside the top 40, if not at the bottom of it. Suddenly, he is on the brink of breaking top 20 despite nothing much changing about his meta presence? It can't just be Riddles, since he is still primarily a Terry player and that character is at #33 with Bayo and Sheik, so I am a bit confused here. Is it another Sephiroth situation where his results is inflated by scattered regional results?
To add on what Hydreigonfan01 Hydreigonfan01 said:

Axiom XL (25th at Collision & Pound + regional results), Brr (while his best major placements is 33rd at Glitch Infinite, he has regional results) and Greil (French, 13th at KRBanger 2 + regional results) also contribute points on their own. Then there are a number of regional Kazuyas too.

I think what's happened is that this is Kazuya's first full year (he was released in the June / July window, remember) and most of those players have either started to attend more or refined their respective playstyles: thusly getting more consistent results. Riddles is the big one, but it's not at all exclusive to him (Axiom and Tarik have seen notable improvements).

Think it's safe to say that Kazuya's here to stay though (at least for the forseeable future - absent meta changes going against the character) - you don't need to be optimal with him to be dangerous.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I for one, agree with you. I was actually planning on bringing up Ryu's presence in the meta. Now I have the perfect transition to talk about it.

In the meantime, Kazuya kinda exists as his own thing so not really much comparison here.
Something I am a bit confused on is how Kazuya managed to achieve 177 points in OrionStats at #21. In the previous season, and for the longest time this season, he was barely outside the top 40, if not at the bottom of it. Suddenly, he is on the brink of breaking top 20 despite nothing much changing about his meta presence?
all thats happening is the average and above-average kazuya players are getting more consistent on damage and conversions. Kazuya meta hasnt really changed but players are just getting better at what kaz does.

superjm

Smash Apprentice
I love Steve for the same reason I love Jiggs in Melee. They are reminders that optimal Smash is actually a campfest no matter how much the community wishes it wasn't.
That's a interesting way of putting it. I love Puff in Melee for much of the same reason.

It's a fine line though. It's not a far cry to go from the type of exciting, tense gameplay you get from players that fully respect each other's options and play for the most optimal opening opportunities to a slow, plodding grind where players nearly never push for advantage beyond what's absolutely safe and turn the match into a race to punish whoever makes the first mistake or, heaven forbid, playing against the clock. So I understand the sentiment against that general style of play even if I don't think the "tryharding" will ever reach that point in this particular game.

Though of course there will be matchups where extreme camping and safety ends up being the preferred way to play just by virtue of character playstyles. I think to when Riddles switched to Kazuya against DDee's Steve in game 4 of their set and DDee immediately went into maximum camping mode for the entire game because Kazuya can and will one-touch-kill Steve with little issue once he gets in. Or like MK-ICs in Brawl where MK will just dair camp them the entire matchup because you cannot let yourself get grabbed ever.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Speaking of Steve, DDee did a Steve matchup chart after his immense breakout performance at MomoCon
He's more positive on the character then before, and considers Steve S tier on the same area as Shulk, Wario and Cloud (so roughly top 15). However he doesn't think the character is S tier because of the matchup chart but rather that Steve can win games out of nowhere and is really good at making comebacks due to Diamond sort of like :ultwario: with Waft.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does anyone know a good Jigglypuff MU chart they can link for me? I'm interested in seeing their MUs. I was having a discussion with someone who said Jiggz is low tier. I said Bassmage has proven she's at least mid tier; probably upper mid tier.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Does anyone know a good Jigglypuff MU chart they can link for me? I'm interested in seeing their MUs. I was having a discussion with someone who said Jiggz is low tier. I said Bassmage has proven she's at least mid tier; probably upper mid tier.
Here's BassMage's MU chart

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
BTW OrionStats update
Palutena is now one of the few characters to get #1 on OrionStats alongside :ultwolf:, :ultsnake:,:ultjoker:, :ultrob:, :ultshulk: and :ultroy:.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
BTW OrionStats update
Palutena is now one of the few characters to get #1 on OrionStats alongside :ultwolf:, :ultjoker:, :ultrob:, :ultshulk: and :ultroy:.
:ultsnake:also reached #1 on Orionstats (IIRC back in 2019); :ultshulk:is the outlier since he was #1 for a brief time in March 2021

tbh i'd be ok if Ultimate's best character was within one of these: :ultsnake::ultrob::ultjoker::ultroy::ultwolf::ultpalutena:; anyone else IMO doesnt convince me as much

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here's BassMage's MU chart
If we're to believe this, Jigglypuff is actually quite solid. I do believe her to be a lower High Tier myself actually. The last patch of buffs did her extremely well.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
:ultsnake:also reached #1 on Orionstats (IIRC back in 2019); :ultshulk:is the outlier since he was #1 for a brief time in March 2021

tbh i'd be ok if Ultimate's best character was within one of these: :ultsnake::ultrob::ultjoker::ultroy::ultwolf::ultpalutena:; anyone else IMO doesnt convince me as much
Not aegis? Imagine perfect execution between say Kazuya and Aegis lol or Anyone and Aegis?..

8 string 0td
(Amusing! Pure Theorycraft)

I agree with your picks tho but just curious why she's not listed.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Not aegis? Imagine perfect execution between say Kazuya and Aegis lol or Anyone and Aegis?..

8 string 0td
(Amusing! Pure Theorycraft)

I agree with your picks tho but just curious why she's not listed.

)
forgot about her lol

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Marss has a really informative and fun video on MKleo's Joker

Just a solid assessment of what made Mkleo super dominant with Joker, and how players simply weren't playing optimally against the character at the time due to matchup inexperience

Not to take away from Mkleo though, the guy was, and still is an absolute monster

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Sephiroth, Sephiroth, Sephiroth. On release, reception was very mixed. Some, me included, believed that he was really powerful, potentially top tier. Others (like many people on Twitter/Reddit) believed he was merely a mid tier, mostly due to his size (he's really tall!), weight (or lack thereof), and long startup on his moves. Oh, and having really poor out-of-shield game, moves that require precision, and being somewhat reliant on Wing.

Sephiroth was released at a time where most people pretty much only got to play online, making it hard to evaluate his offline potential. One of the main ideas was that Sephiroth would be able to ledgetrap mostly on reaction by standing at a distance and f-tilting on reaction if they did certain options and doing something else to cover other options, and this sounded really, really powerful... and at the end of the day, it turns out that actually doing this is much harder than people made it out to be, and most pro Sephiroths are not really as consistent with ledetrapping as people believed they would be. With this in mind, I think it's pretty obvious that Sephiroth is not a top tier character.

Is Sephiroth high tier or mid tier? His results are decent enough (some showings here and there at top level, mostly as a secondary, sometimes as a main with Ned, and #20 on OrionStats), and his strengths are really good still. I think he probably still qualifies as a high tier, albeit at the lower end of high tier (maybe top 35 or so, which would still be high tier on most tier lists these days, people are pretty generous).

Sephiroth is probably better at mid level of play compared to top level of play. He has quite a few of gimmicks and comeback mechanics and such, which can be really powerful against people who aren't used to dealing with them. However, even at mid level his low weight and Wing mechanic makes him very stressful to play in tournament environments. I suspect this is one of the reasons why you don't see too many Sephiroth players, despite him being a "cool" character from a game many people enjoy, so you'd think many people would play him still.

Some personal thoughts:

On a personal note, I've more or less dropped him for tournament play. Originally my plan was to pick up Pyra/Mythra as a secondary to cover some of Sephiroth's bad matchups (such as Diddy Kong), but after playing them for a while I realized I'd probably be better off solo maining, and they're far less stressful in tournament situations compared to Sephiroth. Dying early (before getting Wing) feels terrible, and once you have wing it feels like you're on a timer. In some ways it reminds me of my experience playing Pichu in tournament, a character who was also very stressful in tournaments.

I still have more time spent on Sephiroth and I suppose it's not impossible that I'd use him (and/or Corrin) as a secondary at some point, but for now I'm feeling confident that Pyra/Mythra is the way to go for me. Very fun character (it was either them or Sephiroth back when they were released, but I decided to stick with Sephiroth at the time) and also very potent (at least top 10, good chance of top 3 even). Oh, and on a personal note, I really dislike how so many characters pancake his up-smash. The back hitbox should probably go a bit lower... Oh well.

So, in summary, I think Sephiroth is a decently good (lower end of high tier, maybe top 35-ish?) character that can get results at top level and really good results against people who don't know the matchup. He's a stressful character to play in a tournament setting and not as strong as other options, so it's understandable that not that many people want to play him in tournaments. For the time being, I do not recommend Sephiroth as a main for tournament players, the risk/reward is off, he takes more effort to keep fresh than many other characters if you want to play more than one, and he can be really stressful to play.

Rizen

Smash Legend
On the topic of :ultsephiroth:, hot take: his shadow flare isn't a very useful move for him. Allow me to explain. It's not that SF is a bad move; the issue is it has the exact same space coverage as his F/Bair and Ftilt. If he didn't have a huge katana it could be a great zoning tool but he does and his sword offers guaranteed damage plus stage control on hit where SF gives potential followups. Often times Seph doesn't get to combo off it because the opponent can run away and shield. Yes this puts them in a bad position but so does simply hitting them with Fair. Seph's advantage state is so strong I'd argue it's better to hit the opponent offstage than with shadow flare. SF isn't faster than his sword either; it's actually slower.
move, frame
Ftilt, 14
Fair, 13
Bair, 15
SF, 16
It just doesn't give him any additional coverage. :/

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On the topic of :ultsephiroth:, hot take: his shadow flare isn't a very useful move for him. Allow me to explain. It's not that SF is a bad move; the issue is it has the exact same space coverage as his F/Bair and Ftilt. If he didn't have a huge katana it could be a great zoning tool but he does and his sword offers guaranteed damage plus stage control on hit where SF gives potential followups. Often times Seph doesn't get to combo off it because the opponent can run away and shield. Yes this puts them in a bad position but so does simply hitting them with Fair. Seph's advantage state is so strong I'd argue it's better to hit the opponent offstage than with shadow flare. SF isn't faster than his sword either; it's actually slower.
move, frame
Ftilt, 14
Fair, 13
Bair, 15
SF, 16
It just doesn't give him any additional coverage. :/
Isn't the point of Shadow Flare to put pressure on the opponent to the point that most characters have no answers other than to stop what they're doing to run and shield? That's a very different purpose forces most players to give up stage control or the neutral with the risk of letting Sephiroth use his down smash for strong shield damage or having to leave yourself open by air dodging. If Sephiroth has the wing up, running away's also less effective due to his mobility boosts. I don't think it's entirely fair to judge a move on a specific purpose when it's clearly designed differently with the character already having another move good for said purpose as you said. It's like say, criticizing Jolteon for not being an effective sweeper in competitive singles Pokemon when it's actual strengths lie elsewhere

EDIT: Perhaps a more apt comparison is saying Bowser's side B isn't very good as it doesn't do anything for his recovery

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Marths have been going hard in locals lately according to the various VODs I've seen, in a way I've never seen.

For example:

What's going on? Did the handful of buffs in the final patch make a difference? Is it that the big benefits Marth gets from slingshotting turn the tide? Or is it that we should be expecting this from locals?

blackghost

Smash Champion
has anyone noticed slingshot actually being useed in events or is this just been dropped already? havent watched many event matches recent;y but the ones i have watched i didn't notice it making much impact or getting much utilization.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
has anyone noticed slingshot actually being useed in events or is this just been dropped already? havent watched many event matches recent;y but the ones i have watched i didn't notice it making much impact or getting much utilization.
Tweek was using the tech with Sephiroth.

NairWizard

Somewhere
More than half of Leo's new playstyle in neutral is slingshotting.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Relax & Smash at GeekFest Cancún

1. MkLeo :ultcorrinf:
2. Sparg0 :ultbylethf: :ultcloud: :ultmythra:
3. Chag :ultpalutena:
4. ShinyMark :ultpikachu:
5. WaKa :ultluigi:
5. BigBoss :ultrob:
7. Ang :ulttoonlink:
7. Tury :ultchrom: :ultjoker:
9. Law :ultluigi: :ultchrom:
9. OBESOO :ultcloud:
9. FuerzaDON :ultshulk:
9. Who :ultluigi:

This tourney was weird... it wasn't streamed on any of the typical channels you'd expect but rather Hbox's channel, and Leo/Sparg0 didn't seem to take it seriously considering Sparg0 rarely busted out the Cloud or Pyra/Mythra and went mostly Byleth other then his set against Ang. Meanwhile Leo used entirely Corrin, which he didn't even do at RETA.

NairWizard

Somewhere
This tourney was weird... it wasn't streamed on any of the typical channels you'd expect but rather Hbox's channel, and Leo/Sparg0 didn't seem to take it seriously considering Sparg0 rarely busted out the Cloud or Pyra/Mythra and went mostly Byleth other then his set against Ang. Meanwhile Leo used entirely Corrin, which he didn't even do at RETA.
They were taking it seriously. Pre-tournament, Leo said that he considers Corrin a co-main alongside Byleth now. Post-tournament, Leo said that slingshot neutral with Byleth is complicated and it's much easier to do with Corrin, so he wants to wait to bring out Byleth until he's more comfortable slingshotting with that character.

sparg0 has similar reasons but came to a different conclusion.

Pre-tournament, sparg0 said that he thinks slingshot makes Byleth a really strong character and considers his Byleth his 2nd or 3rd best character, so he wanted to bring out more Byleth.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who watches either stream. They are very serious with Corrin and Byleth, and this was a serious tournament for both to evolve their gameplans around slingshot.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I do want to bring up some discussion with the thread here since there isn't going to be anything particularly notable for a while now.

We are now currently at the point in the meta where it is now pretty up for debate on who exactly is the best character in the game. Not "who is among the best characters in the game". Who is the best character in the game.

If we were talking about late 2021 and January 2022, we would easily say Aegis, but it seems that the era of fearmongering Aegis domination has ceased ever since. Ever since then, there has been debate on who exactly is #1 in the game.

There are many different ways to look at this:
We have characters that has been statistically strong for a long time. :ultrob: and :ultroy: have been by far the most historically statically strong characters since the post-quarantine era, with not only strong tournament representation, but some very notable top player presence as well. The latter thing was a glaring issue with R.O.B. results for a long time, but now we have players like Zomba and BigBoss placing highly in national tournaments.
Do note that there are also other statistically strong characters as well, such as :ultpalutena:, :ultwolf:, and :ultsnake:, the former of which is currently ahead in the #1 position in the TTS, but unlike the above-mentioned two, no one is really arguing that these three are best character contenders. You could argue top 5 contenders (in which I think Palu potentially is), but not #1.

This brings up another way to look at: the strong point characters. The main two I want to talk about is :ultfox: and :ultwario:. These two characters, while they definitely have a good amount of reps, definitely is not quite as popular as other top characters, as Fox is #13 in the TTS and Wario is #16 (w/ PkMn Trainer) in the TTS. However, the absolute domination that Light and Glutonny has demonstrated the past several months is immaculate. It is no secret that Fox and Wario has been already proven to be very great characters historically throughout Ultimate's life, but both characters has been pushed further than ever before (post-nerf in the case for Wario).
At one point, MkLeo and Glutonny even agreed that Wario is in a better spot in the meta than Aegis even is. Not sure if that opinion has changed since, but that is fairly notable.
That being said, these two characters being very strong in the current meta is not an unpopular opinion. Them being potentially character in the game worthy is a very unpopular opinion, however, especially in Fox's case.

Now we turn to our third way to look at it: those with a mix of both. Now we look at :ultmythra:. The character hasn't dominated major events the way people projected them to much earlier this year, with other characters showing stronger dominance. At the same time, the character hasn't topped the result charts statically the same way characters like R.O.B., Roy, and Palutena has. What the Aegis brings to the table here, is still being among the upper echelon of both categories.
While Leo and Sparg0 mostly dropped the character, the character still receives very good high level representation from players like Cosmos and Shuton, while still being a very popular character in tournaments (especially in mid-level play).
And we can look beyond what they have been doing in tournaments to see that they fundamentally have the tools needed to succeed in any level. That is what makes them a popular candidate for #1 in the game, especially back during the character's glory days. That being said, the character definitely felt a bit of a drop off in terms of presence, thus the position of #1 in the game have once again became muddled.

Our fourth and final way to look at it is characters that we know that may be #1, but hasn't shown that right now. :ultjoker: is still a very strong character in competitive. While his high level representation has gone down since 2019, we will have good top level representation, namely from Zackray. There is of course other good Joker players, but he currently leads the charge. The character is also very popular in mid-level play, in a similar vein to the above-mentioned Aegis. #11 in the TTS is nothing to scoff at.
However, Joker's case is quite unfortunate. The characters major drop-off in the results came with MkLeo, for the most part, dropping the character after Smash Con: Fall Fest. This is not because the character has gotten much weaker in Leo's eyes (he believes Joker to be very strong too), but he simply doesn't find enjoyment with the character anymore.
Back when MkLeo dominated most of 2019 with Joker, there was no other character in the game's history that as undisputedly #1 as Joker.
At the same time, it is hard to argue that the character has definitely seen better days, especially in lieu of characters that has far exceeded him in tournament presence ever since.

As you can see overall, there are numerous different factors that determine who will claim the coveted #1 title in the game. A lot of it ends up resulting in which of these factors you value the most.

And it is something I like quite a lot. In the previous Smash games, it was quite clear who was #1 in each entry.
In Smash 64, Pikachu was the #1 character since the beginning.
In Melee, Sheik dominated early Melee with the chaingrabs, but ever since numerous tech-skills has been discovered and implemented, Fox became the undisputed #1 character to this day. There has been talks the past two years of Marth or Puff potentially surpassing Fox, but I don't think that really got anywhere.
In Brawl, outside of the first month of the game, it was quite clear that Meta Knight has the god of the game.
In SSB4, throughout the numerous balance patches of the game, there has always been a clear #1 in the game. When we left the goofy 3DS era, Diddy was seen to be the #1 character easily. After he got nerfed, Sheik was the undisputed queen of the game. After Sheik got nerfed in 1.1.5, and Bayo shortly afterwards in 1.1.6, SSB4 entered a time period where the title of #1 was very up-in-the-air, but it was only really narrowed down to Diddy or Cloud. Once Bayo reclaimed the throne over a year later after the nerfs, she was there to stay.

Now in modern Ultimate, we have now entered an era where it really is up for grabs. We had the Joker era back in 2019, and briefly the Aegis era in late 2021 and January 2022, but both eras have passed. I would like to see what you guy's two cents is in this topic, because I think it really comes down to what the individual values the most. Of course, your individual opinion on the character will also come into play as well.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Say what you want about Aegis dominating or not but they get results:
Results for Relax & Smash at GeekFest Cancún

1. MkLeo :ultcorrinf:
2. Sparg0 :ultbylethf: :ultcloud: :ultmythra:
Results from WINNER! #11

1. Shuton :ultmythra::ultolimar:
Shinosuma HEROES #1 placements

1. Shuton :ultmythra: :ultolimar:
2. ProtoBanham :ultlucina: :ultminmin
3. KEN :ultsephiroth: :ultsonic:
4. Abadango :ultpalutena: :ultsamus: :ultmetaknight:
5. Tarakotori :ultlittlemac: :ultmythra:
First off, Casablanca

1. Cosmos :ultmythra:
2. AlanDiss :ultsnake:
3. Maister :ultgnw: :ultsora:
4. Javi :ultroy: :ultlucina: :ultwolf:
5. Nair^ :ultridley: :ulthero:
5. Law :ultluigi: :ultchrom:
7. Guilheww :ultkirby:
7. Swain :ultroy:
9. ReZo :ultsteve:
9. MONTALVO :ultbowser:
9. Cloudy :ultmythra: :ultjoker:
Results for Kagaribi 7

1. acola :ultsteve: :ultdk:
2. Asimo :ultryu:
3. Gackt :ultness:
4. DIO :ultsnake:
5. Huto :ultwario: :ultfalcon: :ultkrool:
5. Shuton :ultmythra: :ultolimar: :ultlucina:
Results for Maesuma TOP 7

1. acola :ultsteve: :ultkazuya:
2. Shuton :ultolimar: :ultmythra:
Low Tide City 2022 (561 Entrants)

1st: Sparg0:ultcloud::ultmythra:
Results for Seibugeki #10

1. Shuton :ultmythra: :ultolimar:
2. Asimo :ultryu:
3. LISUTO :ult_terry:
4. sssr :ultrob:
5. Luminous :ultjoker: :ultmythra:

They may not be as popular as ROB or Roy but what other single character has this kind of top 8 presence? They're placing higher than other characters even if there aren't as many of them.

Corrector

Smash Rookie
I do want to bring up some discussion with the thread here since there isn't going to be anything particularly notable for a while now.

We are now currently at the point in the meta where it is now pretty up for debate on who exactly is the best character in the game. Not "who is among the best characters in the game". Who is the best character in the game.

If we were talking about late 2021 and January 2022, we would easily say Aegis, but it seems that the era of fearmongering Aegis domination has ceased ever since. Ever since then, there has been debate on who exactly is #1 in the game.

We have characters that has been statistically strong for a long time. :ultrob: and :ultroy: have been by far the most historically statically strong characters since the post-quarantine era, with not only strong tournament representation, but some very notable top player presence as well. The latter thing was a glaring issue with R.O.B. results for a long time, but now we have players like Zomba and BigBoss placing highly in national tournaments.
Do note that there are also other statistically strong characters as well, such as :ultpalutena:, :ultwolf:, and :ultsnake:, the former of which is currently ahead in the #1 position in the TTS, but unlike the above-mentioned two, no one is really arguing that these three are best character contenders. You could argue top 5 contenders (in which I think Palu potentially is), but not #1.

This brings up another way to look at: the strong point characters. The main two I want to talk about is :ultfox: and :ultwario:. These two characters, while they definitely have a good amount of reps, definitely is not quite as popular as other top characters, as Fox is #13 in the TTS and Wario is #16 (w/ PkMn Trainer) in the TTS. However, the absolute domination that Light and Glutonny has demonstrated the past several months is immaculate. It is no secret that Fox and Wario has been already proven to be very great characters historically throughout Ultimate's life, but both characters has been pushed further than ever before (post-nerf in the case for Wario).
At one point, MkLeo and Glutonny even agreed that Wario is in a better spot in the meta than Aegis even is. Not sure if that opinion has changed since, but that is fairly notable.
That being said, these two characters being very strong in the current meta is not an unpopular opinion. Them being potentially character in the game worthy is a very unpopular opinion, however, especially in Fox's case.

Now we turn to our third way to look at it: those with a mix of both. Now we look at :ultmythra:. The character hasn't dominated major events the way people projected them to much earlier this year, with other characters showing stronger dominance. At the same time, the character hasn't topped the result charts statically the same way characters like R.O.B., Roy, and Palutena has. What the Aegis brings to the table here, is still being among the upper echelon of both categories.
While Leo and Sparg0 mostly dropped the character, the character still receives very good high level representation from players like Cosmos and Shuton, while still being a very popular character in tournaments (especially in mid-level play).
And we can look beyond what they have been doing in tournaments to see that they fundamentally have the tools needed to succeed in any level. That is what makes them a popular candidate for #1 in the game, especially back during the character's glory days. That being said, the character definitely felt a bit of a drop off in terms of presence, thus the position of #1 in the game have once again became muddled.

Our fourth and final way to look at it is characters that we know that may be #1, but hasn't shown that right now. :ultjoker: is still a very strong character in competitive. While his high level representation has gone down since 2019, we will have good top level representation, namely from Zackray. There is of course other good Joker players, but he currently leads the charge. The character is also very popular in mid-level play, in a similar vein to the above-mentioned Aegis. #11 in the TTS is nothing to scoff at.
However, Joker's case is quite unfortunate. The characters major drop-off in the results came with MkLeo, for the most part, dropping the character after Smash Con: Fall Fest. This is not because the character has gotten much weaker in Leo's eyes (he believes Joker to be very strong too), but he simply doesn't find enjoyment with the character anymore.
Back when MkLeo dominated most of 2019 with Joker, there was no other character in the game's history that as undisputedly #1 as Joker.
At the same time, it is hard to argue that the character has definitely seen better days, especially in lieu of characters that has far exceeded him in tournament presence ever since.

As you can see overall, there are numerous different factors that determine who will claim the coveted #1 title in the game. A lot of it ends up resulting in which of these factors you value the most.

And it is something I like quite a lot. In the previous Smash games, it was quite clear who was #1 in each entry.
In Melee, Sheik dominated early Melee with the chaingrabs, but ever since numerous tech-skills has been discovered and implemented, Fox became the undisputed #1 character to this day. There has been talks the past two years of Marth or Puff potentially surpassing Fox, but I don't think that really got anywhere.
In Brawl, outside of the first month of the game, it was quite clear that Meta Knight has the god of the game.
In SSB4, throughout the numerous balance patches of the game, there has always been a clear #1 in the game. When we left the goofy 3DS era, Diddy was seen to be the #1 character easily. After he got nerfed, Sheik was the undisputed queen of the game. After Sheik got nerfed in 1.1.5, and Bayo shortly afterwards in 1.1.6, SSB4 entered a time period where the title of #1 was very up-in-the-air, but it was only really narrowed down to Diddy or Cloud. Once Bayo reclaimed the throne over a year later after the nerfs, she was there to stay.

Now in modern Ultimate, we have now entered an era where it really is up for grabs. We had the Joker era back in 2019, and briefly the Aegis era in late 2021 and January 2022, but both eras have passed. I would like to see what you guy's two cents is in this topic, because I think it really comes down to what the individual values the most. Of course, your individual opinion on the character will also come into play as well.
Overall good summary, but why aren't you mentionning Peach dominance pre nerf in your last paragraph? If I recall, she was considered the undisputed top 1, and Joker shortly after due to Mkleo's performance. We had players like Leffen who went on a croisade because he believed she was too strong at the time. Anyway, this was just a little nitpick. I don't think there will ever be a clear #1 such is the nature of this game and this is how it should be. I think what your post proved truly is that players' performance matter more than anything else.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Overall good summary, but why aren't you mentionning Peach dominance pre nerf in your last paragraph? If I recall, she was considered the undisputed top 1, and Joker shortly after due to Mkleo's performance. We had players like Leffen who went on a croisade because he believed she was too strong at the time. Anyway, this was just a little nitpick.
Cause frankly, I completely forgot about that. I do remember now that the pre-Joker era was a chaotic tirade of multiple different characters longing for the #1 spot. Very early on, we had the Inkling era, then afterwards, characters like Wolf, Peach, Olimar, and Pichu taking center-stage at the time. Peach was a common #1 pick at the time, but I do remember compelling arguments for the other three characters as well.

However, all of that was only the first 3-4 months of the game. All of that would then be completely overshadowed when Leo dominated the rest of the year with Joker.

superjm

Smash Apprentice
I think calling the question of who is #1 a "debate" is being somewhat disingenuous. Lack of relevant objective data aside, it's pretty universal among skilled players with a voice that Aegis is very likely #1, and if she isn't it's only because Joker is instead. You also have Pika consistently up there but, notably, almost never above Aegis and rarely above Joker. The Pika thing is a whole other song-and-dance we've been over to death but no other character in the game is even in consideration above those three when taking player opinions in aggregate.

All that considered, I'm pretty comfortable calling Aegis #1 right now without much qualification. She's got the theory, the results, and the nominal matchup spread to support that placement, and unlike the other contenders doesn't really have a "yes, but..." line of reasoning to feed any strong skepticism of the idea.

toonito

Smash Ace

i agree with your overall point 4 years deep IMO Ultimate still doesn't have a consensus best character or a character that has separated itself from the pack.
64 has :pikachu64: (and :kirby64: to an extent), Melee has :foxmelee: (although people will argue :marthmelee: or even :jigglypuffmelee: as the best these days), Brawl has :metaknight: , 4 has :4bayonetta: .
IMO :ultpalutena::ultwolf::ultroy::ultjoker::ultrob::ultsnake::ultpyra:/:ultmythra: are probably the characters in contention for #1 in Ultimate i guess we'll continue to see how the meta continues to shape up.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't think Roy, Snake, or ROB are really contenders for #1 (although Dabuz did put ROB as #2, and Steve #3, interestingly enough). It's probably Aegis or Joker. Some people believe in Pikachu and theoretically he's very strong, though unlike Aegis and Joker you don't really see many top players picking up Pikachu. Other than those three I could see Palutena being a sleeper contender for #1, I suppose, she probably isn't #1 though. Wolf is really, really solid, but is that enough for #1? Probably not.

And hey, um, I guess some people think Steve is #1? Not a very common opinion though and seems fairly unlikely to me. At the moment I would be leaning towards Aegis but it's hard to say for sure, especially with Slingshot still being optimized.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It could be the Aegis sisters definitely, though I still maintain it isn't to an unhealthy degree. Joker on the other hand, I am skeptical over. He fell off pretty hard after Leo dropped him. Yes, he still does things, but nothing really oppressive, and all his oppressive results are quite old at this point. There isn't much to indicate he's dominating in the current meta.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
It could be the Aegis sisters definitely, though I still maintain it isn't to an unhealthy degree. Joker on the other hand, I am skeptical over due to how hard he fell off after Leo dropped him. Yes, he still does things, but nothing really oppressive, and all his oppressive results are quite old at this point. There isn't much to indicate he's dominating in the current meta.
Yeah Smash is ironically in a decent spot in this regard

The contenders for best character in the game aren't that oppressive

It's the gatekeepers and gimmick killers like Kazuya and Steve that are the most problematic element of the meta

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah Smash is ironically in a decent spot in this regard

The contenders for best character in the game aren't that oppressive

It's the gatekeepers and gimmick killers like Kazuya and Steve that are the most problematic element of the meta
Kazuya is rare enough it seems people don't seem to mind that much. Yeah, it doesn't exactly feel great to lose to his shenanigans, but at least it doesn't come around that much. Steve could really be annoying, and people may not want to have such a polarizing matchup that they pretty much have to counter pick, but is he really "problematic?" And I say this as no fan of Steve...or Kazuya.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Pikachu being the best according to theory
craft while not impressive at all in terms of results implies flawed theorycrafting.

It's really strange that this is still a thing. If you just watch games Pikachu obviously has major flaws. Enough of them to not be more than one of many high tiers. Char struggles in MU's which real top tiers handle fine.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Pikachu being the best according to theory
craft while not impressive at all in terms of results implies flawed theorycrafting.

It's really strange that this is still a thing. If you just watch games Pikachu obviously has major flaws. Enough of them to not be more than one of many high tiers. Char struggles in MU's which real top tiers handle fine.
And yet I've essentially been called stupid (not here) for wanting evidence that Pikachu is top tier. All they could present was winning two majors which...others have done and more, and a supposed winning record against the best player. They seemed to miss the point that an obvious best fighter should and generally has had the results to back it up. It's simply logical. If they are that insanely good, people that want to win will pick them up. But, people get stringed by a Pikachu and just seem to buy it for some reason.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Kazuya is rare enough it seems people don't seem to mind that much. Yeah, it doesn't exactly feel great to lose to his shenanigans, but at least it doesn't come around that much. Steve could really be annoying, and people may not want to have such a polarizing matchup that they pretty much have to counter pick, but is he really "problematic?" And I say this as no fan of Steve...or Kazuya.
I can't really definitely say either way atm.

It's just an initial gut feeling of mine. Steve is definitely a character to watch out for, to be sure.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
And yet I've essentially been called stupid (not here) for wanting evidence that Pikachu is top tier. All they could present was winning two majors which...others have done and more, and a supposed winning record against the best player. They seemed to miss the point that an obvious best fighter should and generally has had the results to back it up. It's simply logical. If they are that insanely good, people that want to win will pick them up. But, people get stringed by a Pikachu and just seem to buy it for some reason.
I don't think it's weird that Esam has been able to beat Leo, the only way to prepare for that MU is to fight Esam, the other Pika players just don't have his punish game nor his 15 (I think?) years of experience playing the char at top level. Characters with broken punish games can do that when their players are on point. They run people over before they manage to adjust. Prodigy vs Leo is another example. You gotta look at how Esam performs at more local tournaments where people are used to his Pikachu too. There you can see him struggle vs players who, while certainly good (his region has pretty strong players afaik?) are still not of the same calibre as the top players he has beaten at majors.

In general I think people put too much emphasis on the flashy stuff when judging a character. But there are other flashy characters with broken punish games who are not constantly called the best in the game by a bunch of people including top players and other prominent people. Mario, Kazuya, Peach for instance. I guess the reason Pikachu is held in this uniquely high regard must be mainly due to Esams persistent gospel.

On another note, I totally think that Steve carries players to a certain degree and that Steve looks to be on the path to becoming the undisputed most annoying character in the game. His meta has really taken off. Maybe he'll hit the roof soon but it doesn't look like it. He reminds me off characters like Bayo and Snake in the sense that he plays different from other characters and has an entry barrier because of it, but once you're past that barrier you are rewarded with some really strong tools that will let you beat stronger players who are not prepared.

Last edited:
Top Bottom