• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I don't think Proto's looking to replace the Min Min, it honestly just felt like he favored Lucina more in matchups like Rosalina and Roy because even in Japan, those characters aren't all that common so he probably just didn't have the experience with Min Min, who is still much, MUCH newer to the offline scene than Lucina, despite being released over a year ago at this point. Not to say he didn't get outplayed in the sets he lost, but especially with Rosa you have to consider that nearly nobody else good plays the character besides Dabuz. He had to go his tried and true to secure the set, and he nearly did it.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Byleth is Top Tier
Byleth is pretty good, but if you watched Leo's post-tourney interview, Leo himself feels like it'll be the end of Byleth's time soon. He said something like, "I don't really like playing Joker, but I can't keep going Byleth, so Joker will be coming back soon." Once other top players catch up to Leo, we'll have to see Leo go Joker + Aegis. I keep tuning in to every tourney trying to figure out what the turning point is. I thought it was going to be at Mainstage.

If you look at Leo's SWT bracket, in the group stage he played against players significantly worse than him, and had to use Aegis for the Sonic matchup. The hardest matchup there was Myran and Byleth-Olimar doesn't seem that bad (Olimar isn't exactly fast either). Then, in the main bracket, he faced Rosa, who probably has a hard time with Byleth in general just like Olimar, and Roy, whose recovery is super vulnerable to Byleth up-b. After that, he had to go Aegis against Aegis in Winners Finals.

Until the last few sets, Leo got a really good Byleth bracket, and he still walked away with the feeling that it's getting harder and harder to win with Byleth every tourney.

It turns out that Cosmos and Leo also practiced the Aegis ditto together, by the way, so that explains why Leo went Byleth in such a terrible matchup (both sparg0 and Leo think that that matchup should be unwinnable in practice, and it's not hard to see why).

So while we're seeing lots of Byleth results over and over and Byleth is definitely top 20 material at this point, I'm personally holding off boarding the top tier train until we see players who have practiced counterplay against Byleth actually run into Leo's Byleth--specifically Tweek, ESAM, Light, Marss rematch, and sparg0 again (who didn't get to face it this time after Mainstage). I have a hunch that 2022 will be the year of Joker + Aegis for Leo.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So while we're seeing lots of Byleth results over and over and Byleth is definitely top 20 material at this point, I'm personally holding off boarding the top tier train until we see players who have practiced counterplay against Byleth actually run into Leo's Byleth--specifically Tweek, ESAM, Light, Marss rematch, and sparg0 again (who didn't get to face it this time after Mainstage). I have a hunch that 2022 will be the year of Joker + Aegis for Leo.
No offense, but if Byleth is top 20 character, then that IS top tier.

I don't think Byleth anywhere close to that either, especially since as I explained in a post I made in the past, MkLeo is one of the only players that is actually even USING the character. Back when he dominated the scene with Joker, the character grew to a high amount of representation across the globe. Byleth's playerbase remains very small, and there isn't anyone else leaving much of an impact in high level play with the character (mid level Byleth is also very limited as well).

If MkLeo is feeling pressured to eventually walk away from Byleth, then that is not inductive of a top 20 character in the slightest. If Byleth is top 20, then MkLeo has no need for Aegis, since Byleth fits him to a tee.

BTW, Zackray is going to Genesis 8. That might end up being the first big representation of :ultsheik: in the USA aside from VoiD.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/rkxplv
That is assuming that he does use Sheik. He may likely play it safe and stick to his usual Joker + ROB combo.

A word from the wise: just because someone is interested in picking up a character doesn't mean that they actually will stick with it. Proto and Kome say that they are interested in Aegis, but that doesn't mean that they will fully commit to said character choice.
Chances are, they are likely just going to go back to old-reliable instead.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Aegis fits his playstyle very well. Her seeming linear vocabulary will pick up a nice swerve to round her out. All 3 players have been showing how transformation is crucial and that dynamic alone would interest leo more than Arsene I'm guessing....

Edit

hOt take

I enjoyed Sonix more than Ken.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Byleth is pretty good, but if you watched Leo's post-tourney interview, Leo himself feels like it'll be the end of Byleth's time soon. He said something like, "I don't really like playing Joker, but I can't keep going Byleth, so Joker will be coming back soon." Once other top players catch up to Leo, we'll have to see Leo go Joker + Aegis. I keep tuning in to every tourney trying to figure out what the turning point is. I thought it was going to be at Mainstage.

If you look at Leo's SWT bracket, in the group stage he played against players significantly worse than him, and had to use Aegis for the Sonic matchup. The hardest matchup there was Myran and Byleth-Olimar doesn't seem that bad (Olimar isn't exactly fast either). Then, in the main bracket, he faced Rosa, who probably has a hard time with Byleth in general just like Olimar, and Roy, whose recovery is super vulnerable to Byleth up-b. After that, he had to go Aegis against Aegis in Winners Finals.

Until the last few sets, Leo got a really good Byleth bracket, and he still walked away with the feeling that it's getting harder and harder to win with Byleth every tourney.

It turns out that Cosmos and Leo also practiced the Aegis ditto together, by the way, so that explains why Leo went Byleth in such a terrible matchup (both sparg0 and Leo think that that matchup should be unwinnable in practice, and it's not hard to see why).

I'm aware of what he said, in addition to his comment about not wanting to play Joker anymore, only to quickly go back on that with an excuse. Regardless, I don't really want to say MKleo is "wrong" rather I just disagree with his assessment. Which fine, he's a top player and i'm just some rando, but I think the character is just ridiculously stable. Stable recovery (a big deal for a sword character), stable neutral, solid OoS, kill setups, good range, damage and power. All at the cost of garbage mobility, which isn't that big of a deal when Byleth sets the pace of a match so well.

I struggle to think of many characters better than him in the current metagame. People can tack on as many qualifiers as they want, but Byleth has won several high profile majors

I also emphatically think Joker isn't coming back. Call it a hunch or past experiences (he's intimated that he wanted to bring out Joker several times now but never followed through), but I think the age of Mkleo's Joker is over. And if you play the character, it's not hard to see why. Joker is mentally taxing, and at times, outright frustrating to play. It's not hard to see why he's become substantially more comfortable with Byleth, a character who's KO ability isn't variable, a character with a strong OoS (compared to Joker's middling one) and a similarly versatile Up B recovery (that's way better on the ground)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
MKLeo would probably adapt to the Aegis fast, especially Pyra. Pyra is quite similar to Byleth in basic play style after all. I could see that switch happen honestly, and if he can get better results like that, why not?

Sad to see Tweek take a break, but hope he'll catch up soon. He's a great player but shouldn't burn himself out of course.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
A character doesn't have to be on the same tier as Smash 4 Bayo to dominate the meta or the top 8 in tourneys.

She also doesn't need to win tourneys either (since Mkleo is gatekeeping the victory spot lol). She just needs to be overly abundant in the top rankings in tourneys, beats most of the roster because she's that good of a character, and be obnoxious to go against since she's just overbearing to fight.

It's heading in that direction. Let's not kid ourselves here. She might not be a huge problem now, but it's very easy to see that she may become one quite soon. And again, she doesn't need to be akin to smash 4 bayo to be a problem.

The fact that top players are deeming it necessary to have a pocket Aegis to get far says a lot, no?

I don't know about you, but seeing the top 3 with Aegis is already making me feel iffy, but it's still early (sort of) Would people really like it if say 4 or 6 out of the top 8 had Aegis?

I'm aware of what he said, in addition to his comment about not wanting to play Joker anymore, only to quickly go back on that with an excuse. Regardless, I don't really want to say MKleo is "wrong" rather I just disagree with his assessment. Which fine, he's a top player and i'm just some rando, but I think the character is just ridiculously stable. Stable recovery (a big deal for a sword character), stable neutral, solid OoS, kill setups, good range, damage and power. All at the cost of garbage mobility, which isn't that big of a deal when Byleth sets the pace of a match so well.

I struggle to think of many characters better than him in the current metagame. People can tack on as many qualifiers as they want, but Byleth has won several high profile majors

I also emphatically think Joker isn't coming back. Call it a hunch or past experiences (he's intimated that he wanted to bring out Joker several times now but never followed through), but I think the age of Mkleo's Joker is over. And if you play the character, it's not hard to see why. Joker is mentally taxing, and at times, outright frustrating to play. It's not hard to see why he's become substantially more comfortable with Byleth, a character who's KO ability isn't variable, a character with a strong OoS (compared to Joker's middling one) and a similarly versatile Up B recovery (that's way better on the ground)
I would love to see his Joker back in action, but yes, Joker is hard, if not frustrating to play, so I get why he'd be hesitant to go back to him.

It's why he picked up Aegis to replace him. It sucks, but she's a better character, and easier to play.

NairWizard

Somewhere
No offense, but if Byleth is top 20 character, then that IS top tier.
That depends on how big your top tier is and what you define to be top tier. I think Byleth is top 20 material, as in, Byleth is a contender for being top 20, but that could realistically be anywhere from 15-35. There are a lot of decent characters in this game.

If MkLeo is feeling pressured to eventually walk away from Byleth, then that is not inductive of a top 20 character in the slightest. If Byleth is top 20, then MkLeo has no need for Aegis, since Byleth fits him to a tee.
If you want to be consistent #1 in the world, winning every major against a wide variety of threats and playstyles, I think you need better than just a top-20 material character in the 15-35 range. I think you eventually need to pick a top 5-10 candidate instead. There are ranges of viability, and Ultimate's viability list is huge--for top 8'ing. But it's really hard to be consistent in a game like this if you aren't picking someone who can win a lot of different matchups in a lot of different ways. So far, Byleth has shown that consistency, to everyone's surprise.

My take is that he doesn't have that long-term.

Which fine, he's a top player and i'm just some rando, but I think the character is just ridiculously stable. Stable recovery (a big deal for a sword character), stable neutral, solid OoS, kill setups, good range, damage and power. All at the cost of garbage mobility, which isn't that big of a deal when Byleth sets the pace of a match so well.
Your take is solid and I respect it, but I'm personally not ready yet. Byleth's real strengths are in advantage and disadvantage, but Byleth definitely has some glaring gaps in neutral.

We've never really had a #1 in smash not play a neutral monster, so this is somewhat of an unprecedented era. Leo Joker n-air, ZeRo Diddy/Sheik f-air spacing, basically anyone in Brawl, S4 Leo Marth perfect pivoting... we saw neutral, neutral, neutral as the foundation of success over and over again, even and especially when advantage states were optimized.

Byleth in neutral is just... OK in a lot of matchups.

So my take is that there has to be a limit to this success. I feel what Leo feels here. If I end up being wrong and he does really keep Byleth as his main through 2022, quote this post and remind me, but somehow I really doubt that timeline.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I mean aside from mythra with Foresight does any character have a way to survive grabbing the ledge? Leo consistently demonstrates that grabbing the ledge as part of a recovery in ultimate is a disadvantage state that is harder to reset than other disadvantage states, that is except for mythra.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
What makes Byleth so good is the sheer variety of kill options he has available, and how practical they are.

Let me lay out his moveset and you'll see how insane he is at killing.

Jab - Kills at ledge at very high percents

Ftilt - Kills at the ledge
Utilt - Kills at moderately high percents
Dtilt - Leads into kill confirms

Dash attack - Kills at the ledge

Fsmash - Shockingly good at catching jumps off ledge
Usmash - Great OOS killer
Dsmash - Good at breaking shields and leading into low percent kills, can kill on its own.

Nair - Leads into dash attack
Fair - Great at killing at the ledge
Bair - Great at killing anywhere
Uair - Great at killing off the top, can be confirmed into
Dair - Massive spike hit box, also busts shields

Neutral B - Shrinks shields, can kill offstage opponents
Side B - Massive hitbox, can kill
Up B - Can lead into early bair kills at mid percents, an unparalled spiking tool at higher percents
Down B - Kills early, only usable after shield break and only used when it'd be too awkward to land a fully charged fsmash

Grabs - None are really kills options except for bthrow at stupidly high percents

Do you see it now? Do you see how absurd this characters killing potential is? Basically his entire moveset is low commitment, long ranged attacks that either lead into kill confirms, or outright kill. The only 2 things in his moveset that aren't great kill options are his jab and his grabs. While the grab thing is kind of a big deal, he more than makes up for it with his absolutely deadly movepool.

Compare this to any other character in the game, they don't have half these kill options. In a game where a ton of the best characters have trouble taking stocks, Byleth's stability stands in stark contrast.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
the true reason people compare the aegis to bayo is to have a definitive toptier we all can blame for our losses and hate to our heart content.

People have the memory of a goldfish the aegis doesnt play like smash 4 bayo nor like smash 4 cloud aside from the recovery, considering smash 4 cloud was a fast swordie with lots of huge hitboxes with good combo potential and kill confirm, could make you aproach, he doesnt care about camping, he becomes even more faster with limit.

Smash 4 cloud was like if you combined weaker pyra and a slower mythra.

And popularity wise isnt no even close, smash 4 cloud was mega popular in all levels of play the instant he released he became one of the most popular characters.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
The :ultmythra: thing is weird. Many players/people were feeling like :ultmythra: was the true number 1 coming right out of Summit but in the months since we haven't seen conversation quite at that level.

Perhaps this says something about the Invitational format?

:ultdiddy: is a character that many/most people say does well vs top tiers like :ultwolf::ultroy::ultzss::ultjoker::ultpalutena::ultpeach: (at least the old guard top tiers). He does well against characters that fight through traditional means, and go figure :ultdiddy: wins Summit.

In invitationals you're far more likely to see characters of that sort so it makes sense that :ultdiddy: did well but could the same also be said for :ultmythra: ? I'm really not sure because as we saw Tweek didn't do too well in this tourney so maybe that's not true IDK.

I think we'll have to see how the Aegis does in traditional tournaments.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What makes Byleth so good is the sheer variety of kill options he has available, and how practical they are.

Let me lay out his moveset and you'll see how insane he is at killing.

Jab - Kills at ledge at very high percents

Ftilt - Kills at the ledge
Utilt - Kills at moderately high percents
Dtilt - Leads into kill confirms

Dash attack - Kills at the ledge

Fsmash - Shockingly good at catching jumps off ledge
Usmash - Great OOS killer
Dsmash - Good at breaking shields and leading into low percent kills, can kill on its own.

Nair - Leads into dash attack
Fair - Great at killing at the ledge
Bair - Great at killing anywhere
Uair - Great at killing off the top, can be confirmed into
Dair - Massive spike hit box, also busts shields

Neutral B - Shrinks shields, can kill offstage opponents
Side B - Massive hitbox, can kill
Up B - Can lead into early bair kills at mid percents, an unparalled spiking tool at higher percents
Down B - Kills early, only usable after shield break and only used when it'd be too awkward to land a fully charged fsmash

Grabs - None are really kills options except for bthrow at stupidly high percents

Do you see it now? Do you see how absurd this characters killing potential is? Basically his entire moveset is low commitment, long ranged attacks that either lead into kill confirms, or outright kill. The only 2 things in his moveset that aren't great kill options are his jab and his grabs. While the grab thing is kind of a big deal, he more than makes up for it with his absolutely deadly movepool.

Compare this to any other character in the game, they don't have half these kill options. In a game where a ton of the best characters have trouble taking stocks, Byleth's stability stands in stark contrast.
This is kind of misleading. Although technically those options can kill, several won't kill until high %s in the range that any character can kill at and many have bad frame data. F/U tilt and DA have decent kill power at best. Side B is fairly weak. DTilt seems great if you're watching Leo but at frame 13 it's very slow. Compare that to Chroy's f5 jab confirms. F/Bair are f12 and 13, which isn't that bad considering their range but you also have to sweet spot them although that's not particularly hard either. Two of his better kill moves. Ike's Bair is F7. D/F smash and Dair are at lest 19f start up. The point is Snake's f6 Utilt is better than anything Byleth has. Although I will say Byleth's upB is phenomenal at taking down recoveries. Byleth isn't bad at killing and can get some very early kills off advantage but there are several better options on other characters.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
This is kind of misleading. Although technically those options can kill, several won't kill until high %s in the range that any character can kill at and many have bad frame data. F/U tilt and DA have decent kill power at best. Side B is fairly weak. DTilt seems great if you're watching Leo but at frame 13 it's very slow. Compare that to Chroy's f5 jab confirms. F/Bair are f12 and 13, which isn't that bad considering their range but you also have to sweet spot them although that's not particularly hard either. Two of his better kill moves. Ike's Bair is F7. D/F smash and Dair are at lest 19f start up. The point is Snake's f6 Utilt is better than anything Byleth has. Although I will say Byleth's upB is phenomenal at taking down recoveries. Byleth isn't bad at killing and can get some very early kills off advantage but there are several better options on other characters.
Why are you looking at these moves in a vacuum.

Ftilt is effective as a ledge trap tool. It's not going to kill at center stage, but at ranges where its useful, it's a good option

Utilt again... Not really going to come in handy until very late %, but it's one of Byleth's fastest KO options, and it basically forces your opponent to respect you when near death

The whole Leo exceptionalism is silly and a lazy argument imo. If Leo can make Dtilt work... then it's a good move, period. And we can see that Dtilt is good for basic conditioning, spacing and punishing. It doesn't have the best range but the fact that it can lead into a fairly easy and consistent KO option at higher % is a big deal.

The character comparisons are also silly. Goodstyle's point of contention is that Byleth has multiple options for KO... A hard comparison between individual characters doesn't really dispute that point. It's that Byleth is a God at koing, it's that he has so many options that playing from behind with Byleth isn't that punishing.

I think you also overlooked UpB as an OoS too.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
If you really pay attention, you'll see how often Leo gets kills even with the moves you're underestimating here. Utilt is an amazing cleaner, so is ftilt. Of course the moves kill at later percents, and some aren't that fast, but they're mostly very safe and cover a lot of options. If you can kill at 120-140% with a safe move with great range, that's still extremely good. Leo's also killing very early too with off stage Fairs and up Bs.

People are living until way later percents against Snakes than they do against Byleth because everyone knows to watch out for Snake's utilt, it's the only thing you need to worry about really when it comes to a good solid kill option for Snake (besides bomb shennanigans). Almost all of Byleth's options are killers, you need to worry about his whole moveset if you want to avoid dying against him, there aren't a lot of characters like that.

You bring up Ike, and he's a good example of what I'm talking about. His tilts are far slower than Byleth's so they kill less often (Dtilt, the faster tilt, also kill confirms but it's way tighter and happens less often than Byleth's by a lot), fair had its knockback gutted, nair kills were nerfed, bair is extremely solid but very unsafe, dair is a terrible spike, his smash attacks are not reliable, and his B moves are the same (I've seen Ikes get punished for up B more than I've seen them actually win with it).

Even though Ike seems stronger, if you're fighting against a good Byleth, you won't live as long since he just objectively has more kill options for you to worry about. Just in practice, this becomes clear.

blackghost

Smash Champion
can we not be hyperbolic or just outright rewrite history please?
no aegis isn't bayo nor can she ever be.
bayo dominance came from a variety of factors most of which stemmed from the fact she was using smash mechanics but in a combo game that came from marvel 3.
she also excelled as exploiting the singular mechanic most players (even top players dont do well (mostly becuase its hard to consistently practice) DI and sdi. throw in a counter which heavily punished people for mashing buttons and a massive anti air combo starter doubling as an OOS option and you get bayo.

there was always gonna be a best character aegis is just the pinnacle of sword character in smash but to say shes bayo just becuase she is starting to show up in top 8s frequently is showing a lack of understanding as to what made bayo bayo.

for all the complaints mythra and pyra are very straight forward characters, counterplay always takes more time to form but the question is whether the community will take up learning counterplay or just pick up the easy top tier?

I just need the scene to stay somewhat strong until project L comes out then i dont care what happens.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The :ultmythra: thing is weird. Many players/people were feeling like :ultmythra: was the true number 1 coming right out of Summit but in the months since we haven't seen conversation quite at that level.

Perhaps this says something about the Invitational format?

:ultdiddy: is a character that many/most people say does well vs top tiers like :ultwolf::ultroy::ultzss::ultjoker::ultpalutena::ultpeach: (at least the old guard top tiers). He does well against characters that fight through traditional means, and go figure :ultdiddy: wins Summit.

In invitationals you're far more likely to see characters of that sort so it makes sense that :ultdiddy: did well but could the same also be said for :ultmythra: ? I'm really not sure because as we saw Tweek didn't do too well in this tourney so maybe that's not true IDK.

I think we'll have to see how the Aegis does in traditional tournaments.
Tweek is probably burned out from Smash, he really shouldn't have lost to Sonix. He also progressively took his losses more personal. Tweek has an optimized Diddy, and really showed well what Diddy can do. He's basically the ZeRo of Smash Ultimate Diddy in that regard, only Diddy is just not as strong as a character in this game. Still a very solid high tier, or the absolute lowest of top tiers. But he does have great matchups against many top tiers. Many Aegis players also state Diddy goes even, or even beats Aegis slightly.

It's just, Aegis is way easier to pick up and play. So the comparison to Smash 4 Cloud isn't a bad one at all. Cloud was also a very easy character to pocket, and Cloud has similar strengths to what a fused Pyra and Mythra would have, he definitely had over average KO power and speed. It's not a big surprise why Aegis does so well, the rewards of playing them are just very high and they have a low learning curve. They're a relatively new character , so not everyone knows the matchups too well. And there's the case of them being able to switch out, so you'll need to adapt to two play styles, to a relative new character, that's relatively easy to pick up, and overall very strong.

Diddy in comparison is a character with an extreme learning curve. That was even true in Smash 4 after the nerfs (D throw U Air was stupid), that's why you didn't see many dedicated Diddy players after the nerfs. Even in Brawl this was the case. Diddy is just a very technical character. And he also loses to characters who aren't nearly as good as him, as Mega Man, Pac Man, Luigi, Duck Hunt, Samus, even Dr. Mario is a even matchup.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
One of Pyra/Mythra’s few weaknesses is being bad at offstage edgeguarding, and it allows Byleth again and again to make it back safely. Look at those matches and then look at when Esam beat MKLeo.

In terms of arguments about potential and such, I think one of the big questions is "How does the character do on their best day vs. their worst?" When you're executing perfectly, are the rewards tremendous? When you're flubbing things, can you dial back the complexity and rely on bread-and-butter moves? Aegis is basically "yes to both" in spades, and Byleth is nowhere near that. That said, I think Byleth has the notable ability to play a stability style that can have unusually high rewards. And when you're as consistent as MKLeo, all the weaknesses the character has (mobility being chief among them) can seem to fade away. But they're there.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
can we not be hyperbolic or just outright rewrite history please?
no aegis isn't bayo nor can she ever be.
bayo dominance came from a variety of factors most of which stemmed from the fact she was using smash mechanics but in a combo game that came from marvel 3.
she also excelled as exploiting the singular mechanic most players (even top players dont do well (mostly becuase its hard to consistently practice) DI and sdi. throw in a counter which heavily punished people for mashing buttons and a massive anti air combo starter doubling as an OOS option and you get bayo.

there was always gonna be a best character aegis is just the pinnacle of sword character in smash but to say shes bayo just becuase she is starting to show up in top 8s frequently is showing a lack of understanding as to what made bayo bayo.

for all the complaints mythra and pyra are very straight forward characters, counterplay always takes more time to form but the question is whether the community will take up learning counterplay or just pick up the easy top tier?

I just need the scene to stay somewhat strong until project L comes out then i dont care what happens.
What is project l

NairWizard

Somewhere
Yes, Byleth's advantage state is great, one of the best. Top-tier edgeguarding tools, ledgetrapping tools, juggling tools, and just KO tools in general. He converts good situations into kills easily, and he does this using tools that he was already looking to use before trying to get the kill. Most characters have to switch from using their neutral tools to using their kill moves when high percent rolls around. Byleth doesn't, and this is a strength.

I'm aware of this, and aware of Byleth's kill power. I made a post back in September about how I believed Byleth to be possibly top 20. It's quoted below:

For the people who think that MKLeo won this tournament with a mid tier--maybe you should re-evaluate Byleth. I think there was in fact a world where Byleth was low or mid tier, but this is not that world, and I'd like to go over why.

First of all, let's get this out of the way--looking at those sets and thinking that Byleth-Diddy is an OK matchup for Byleth is a shallow conclusion (like thinking that Richter-Luigi isn't that bad just because Elegant beat Dom). Yes, Leo won, but he wasn't reacting in the neutral--those were predictions. Leo was predicting all those monkey flips, dash d-tilts, banana tosses, everything. When we talk about matchup ratios we don't assume that one player has a significant read on the other, but this was absolutely the case here. Several times, I saw Leo actually initiate retreating full hop 40 frames or more in advance of Tweek starting the Monkey Flip--because that's what it takes for Byleth to position properly for the matchup. Those sets were an incredible display of skill and careful study of the opponent, but should be viewed within that context.

Second, despite the bad Diddy matchup, I think Byleth is somewhere in the top 20 characters.

The best thing about Byleth is advantage state that you just can't contest. You're not fighting back against a Byleth up-airing you, you're not reversaling him after he up-bs you (you just have to get away), you're not doing anything but airdodging and fastfalling when he ledgetrumps you. Byleth in advantage just gets to run train for free. It's similar to Sephiroth and Min Min.

But it gets even better! Sephiroth and Min Min have a hard time killing you directly with their neutral tools. They have to get you into a bad position first. But not Byleth. Byleth can kill you from a ledgetrap or an edgeguard just like those other guys can, but Byleth can also get a confirm. n-air to dash attack, d-tilt to up-air, up-b to imagination (even with proper DI), up-smash OOS on a whiff--Byleth has Ganon-level kill power, but confirms his kills from safe neutral moves, much like Diddy and Sheik.

The second best thing about Byleth is disadvantage state. Yes, you read that correctly. This is something that I think Byleth didn't quite have when he was released, but that he's actually really hard to keep trapped at the ledge and to edgeguard. The up-b and side-b buffs gave Byleth legitimate stalling tools at ledge. Part of the reason that Leo had a chance against Tweek was that Byleth just ignored most of Diddy's ledgetrapping with various mixups. Those few frames make a huge difference and I noticed that sometimes Tweek was a hair off from being able to react or prevent Leo from simply snapping to ledge. Ledge is such a relatively safe position for Byleth that Byleth can escape a juggle attempt by drifting offstage and up-bing to ledge. It's really actually pretty hard to edgeguard Byleth's new frame-10 aerial up-b and side-b is "only" 62 frames given how huge it is.

The up-b buff was also relevant for giving Byleth a scary OOS besides n-air, of course, and the neutral merit isn't lost on me, but the advantage and disadvantage are really what enable Byleth to shine as much as he does in Leo's hands.

This is the one time where I don't have much to say about the neutral. In neutral, Leo just mixes up different timings and spacings of n-air up close and spaces f-air/b-air when he can get away with it. That's really all there is to the neutral for this character. The depth isn't there, but then again, it doesn't need to be--the risk is low enough and the reward is high enough that Byleth could be even worse in neutral, as slow as molasses, and still 3-stock Tweek.

I mean, Byleth is doing 20-40% per neutral win, killing you pre-100%, and then limiting damage taken to 15-20% lower range, 30-40% upper range, without getting edgeguarded or f-smashed at ledge for early kills, finally dying at 120%. That is an insane risk:reward ratio. If those numbers don't pass your "possibly top 20" smell test, what does?

Leo's playing a good character--there's no doubt about that. The question really was, "is he skilled enough to overcome Byleth's few really bad matchups?" And the answer, to even my surprise, is yes, he is.
If you don't have time to read all of it, I mentioned what you're talking about ( Goodstyle_4 Goodstyle_4 ) right here:

"But it gets even better! Sephiroth and Min Min have a hard time killing you directly with their neutral tools. They have to get you into a bad position first. But not Byleth. Byleth can kill you from a ledgetrap or an edgeguard just like those other guys can, but Byleth can also get a confirm. n-air to dash attack, d-tilt to up-air, up-b to imagination (even with proper DI), up-smash OOS on a whiff--Byleth has Ganon-level kill power, but confirms his kills from safe neutral moves, much like Diddy and Sheik."

So to "Do you see it?" yes, I see it, it was part of my initial analysis.

Back in September, Byleth looked top tier and at the least trending toward top 20 based on gameplay.
Today, though, now that we've had several months of Byleth at top level, I've revised my opinion a bit.

At Glitch 8.5, I watched Maister edgeguard Leo almost flawlessly with Game and Watch b-air. There are angles from which you can approach Byleth's recovery that don't get you spiked. Byleth's up-b prioritizes ledge, so to kill you, Leo has to reactively drift down to a space where he can't grab ledge when you're trying to edgeguard. Byleth's air drift is bad, and so there are limitations on this reaction that many aren't capitalizing on yet. You saw Tilde die a million times offstage because he was trying to edgeguard Byleth from the wrong angles. I've noticed over two dozen missed edgeguarding opportunities on Byleth since then. This counterplay will become more evident as Leo gets more and more rematches against characters capable of going offstage (so not Roy or Aegis, although they can do it too). Doing this can be risky since if Byleth tethers the ledge, Byleth will make it back before you do and ledgetrap you or drop off and up-b you, but you have to really study Leo's reaction drift to understand the best angles to keep yourself safe here and guarantee the hit on Byleth. Some players haven't even thought to do this yet (Bassmage in doubles at Port Priority was the single best example of doing this that I've ever seen, but that is notably Jigglypuff).

Also at Glitch 8.5 during Leo vs. Kola, I realized that there are certain angles and situations where Byleth doesn't function as well as normal. The angle between up-b and SH f-air is good vs. Byleth; n-air requires a high-commitment drift to cover certain timings of aerial from this approach angle, and side-b is a big commitment in basically all situations. Any time you can force Byleth to rely on side-b in neutral, you can win the neutral game vs. him. This also applies to platform transitions. When Roy descends from the edge of a platform with b-air, most Byleths in most positions have to retreat because covering all timings of the platform run-off requires commitment (or leads to misspacing).

After Glitch 8.5, while in the lab (testing Byleth counterplay to Pikachu to see if Leo was messing it up or if it's really that bad--I came to the conclusion that Leo played it wrong, by the way, so I don't think that Pikachu is that bad for Byleth), I realized that Byleth's ledgestalling has significant counterplay. You can cover the neutral get up, walk out of range of the up-air, and then walk back in range to cover the neutral get-up. You can react to side-b; it's got 21-frame startup in the air and doesn't hit you on frame 1 of its animation. Cosmos reacted to Leo's side-b with Foresight at SWT to punish with f-smash. Eventually, Byleth has to get off the ledge. At both Port Priority and Mainstage, we saw Byleth getting ledgetrapped by sparg0. The stalling techniques didn't work that well.

Also at Port Priority, I saw that Byleth's answer to Mythra's dash attack is to double jump in neutral. Byleth deals with strong horizontal burst by getting out of the way, but because he's slow, dashing back is often just cornering himself, so in matchups like these, he either accepts being in the corner or has to jump. In general, Byleth jumping is only good at some spacings; you can tomahawk or fastfall shield because of Byleth's low jump height, but at the same time you get almost no drift at all from a single full hop, which means that no matter your mixups you sometimes still get hit by dash attack on reaction. And while Leo makes being in the corner look just fine, it isn't. You're sacrificing stage control and at mid or high percents you're vulnerable to death being so close to the blastzone.

The thing about Byleth's kill power from neutral moves is that he's slow. For a slow character, even noncommital moves can become commital, because just the act of moving is commital (since it takes you a long time to get back to where you were, and you can get stuck in a vulnerable position). That's just the life of a slow character. At Low Tide I saw Marss miss fifteen different opportunities to kill Byleth for whiffing because he didn't feel confident in his punishes. I saw Byleth overcommit again and again to try to secure a kill on ZSS because there just weren't guaranteed openings as long as she kept moving.

In all of these instances (and more), I saw Leo counterplay all of this. Sometimes with creative use of his moves, but many times with reads.
Which brings me to this:

The whole Leo exceptionalism is silly and a lazy argument imo.
I think it's important to dig deeper in the analysis rather than say something is Leo exceptionalism or that it isn't (goes for both the people saying that it's just Leo and for the people saying that it's Byleth). We should try to identify which parts are Leo and which parts are Byleth, because it's definitely both.

For d-tilt I don't have a strong opinion. Leo uses it in the Sephiroth matchup because Sephiroth isn't going to run in and shield it, and pivot d-tilt is good for catching landings and kill-confirming, something which we've already acknowledged is Byleth's strength.

But here's an example of something that's more Leo than Byleth. Leo has really good mixup drift in disadvantage, so when you see Leo not get hit by 5 up-airs in Byleth vs. Roy, that's because he's outplaying his opponent with his mixups. Byleth doesn't have great counterplay to Roy up-air sharking besides fastfall n-air; drift to ledge can be good because Roy's ledgetrapping is sometiems commital, but it's hard to do with low air speed from center stage. One of the things you'll notice if you watch Kola vs. Leo at SWT is that Leo rarely got in a situation to be up-aired at center stage; it was almost always under a platform or near ledge. That's no mistake and that definitely also counts as outplaying your opponent.

That part? That's clearly Leo, not Byleth.

But when Leo up-bs Roy's recovery and spikes him, that's clearly Byleth and not (just) Leo. Anyone can see that and replicate that against an opponent of the same skill level. It doesn't require a read or outplaying.

So, with all that in mind, given all the information we have, I think there is potential for Byleth to really be top tier, but the counter-counterplay to some of the things mentioned (and many more) has to be refined. I'm sure Leo will come up with something creative to stay in the game with Byleth, but there may well be a limit. At some point Kola will catch on to his drift habits, and Tweek will ledgetrap him, and Cosmos will handle all the short hop mixups, etc. If Leo's Byleth has an answer to all of that, then Byleth will be top tier. If not, the Aegis and Joker will emerge.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why are you looking at these moves in a vacuum.

Ftilt is effective as a ledge trap tool. It's not going to kill at center stage, but at ranges where its useful, it's a good option

Utilt again... Not really going to come in handy until very late %, but it's one of Byleth's fastest KO options, and it basically forces your opponent to respect you when near death

The whole Leo exceptionalism is silly and a lazy argument imo. If Leo can make Dtilt work... then it's a good move, period. And we can see that Dtilt is good for basic conditioning, spacing and punishing. It doesn't have the best range but the fact that it can lead into a fairly easy and consistent KO option at higher % is a big deal.

The character comparisons are also silly. Goodstyle's point of contention is that Byleth has multiple options for KO... A hard comparison between individual characters doesn't really dispute that point. It's that Byleth is a God at koing, it's that he has so many options that playing from behind with Byleth isn't that punishing.

I think you also overlooked UpB as an OoS too.
I'm not looking at moves in a vacuum; I've played Byleth in tournament and his low speed of attack and mobility can be detrimental.
" If Leo can make Dtilt work... then it's a good move, period. "
This is terrible reasoning. Leo's indisputably the best player in the world and the only one getting real results with Byleth. Byleth is better than I thought for sure and a high tier but there's a reason no one else is getting any real results with him. MKLeo's skill carries him significantly. F13 is terrible for a Dtilt. Good kill confirms are f5. I'd take YL's f8 Dtilt over Byleth's any day.

There are better characters at killing and results show it. Byleth's not a god at KOing, MKLeo is. Byleth is good at it but there's a reason Roy's floating at the top of Orion stats at 2nd and Byleth is down at 39th. Your whole argument is basically "MKLeo's the best and therefor Byleth is too" but he's won things with Ike before and he wasn't top tier. It takes more than one player doing well to show a character lives up to that potential. It's like saying "the world's biggest pumpkin weighs over 2000lbs so pumpkins weigh over 2000lbs when most don't.
If you really pay attention, you'll see how often Leo gets kills even with the moves you're underestimating here. Utilt is an amazing cleaner, so is ftilt. Of course the moves kill at later percents, and some aren't that fast, but they're mostly very safe and cover a lot of options. If you can kill at 120-140% with a safe move with great range, that's still extremely good. Leo's also killing very early too with off stage Fairs and up Bs.

People are living until way later percents against Snakes than they do against Byleth because everyone knows to watch out for Snake's utilt, it's the only thing you need to worry about really when it comes to a good solid kill option for Snake (besides bomb shennanigans). Almost all of Byleth's options are killers, you need to worry about his whole moveset if you want to avoid dying against him, there aren't a lot of characters like that.

You bring up Ike, and he's a good example of what I'm talking about. His tilts are far slower than Byleth's so they kill less often (Dtilt, the faster tilt, also kill confirms but it's way tighter and happens less often than Byleth's by a lot), fair had its knockback gutted, nair kills were nerfed, bair is extremely solid but very unsafe, dair is a terrible spike, his smash attacks are not reliable, and his B moves are the same (I've seen Ikes get punished for up B more than I've seen them actually win with it).

Even though Ike seems stronger, if you're fighting against a good Byleth, you won't live as long since he just objectively has more kill options for you to worry about. Just in practice, this becomes clear.
People live to high %s vs Snake because Snake is amazing at piling on safe damage and wants to get you to 160% so Dthrow true combos into Utilt. As I said much of Byleth's moveset won't kill until higher %s when most characters can kill so you don't have to worry about Byleth's entire moveset until those %s. What you do have to worry about is Byleth putting you in disadvantage, which is where he excels at killing. I'm not saying Byleth is bad at killing but he's not a god at it either. It's hard for Byleth to kill from neutral until high %s when he has slow mobility and has to work with F12 or higher options. Byleth can have trouble chasing characters down and can get out buttoned by most of the cast. He really has to outplay the opponent with lance zoning and look for reads.

I agree Byleth's better at killing than Ike but Ike's hitboxes are better than Byleth's.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I don't understand the Smash community's approach to character evaluation

In other fighting games, people don't base their character evaluations solely on top players. It's never "P4A Aigis is effective when piloted Yume" it's always "Aigis is an extremely effective character at high level play"

A character can win against multiple top players, win multiple tournaments and have their results discounted with "it's just Mkleo." Do you think Mkleo is that much ahead of everyone? Personally, I don't. These are extremely hard fought matches, and Byleth absolutely plays into that. Mkleo isn't capable of winning tournaments with "pretty good" character imo.

"He made Ike look broken" sure. He did that towards the beginning of Smash Ultimate's metagame. Mkleo is winning with Byleth NOW, after multiple metagame's shift, people get better at fighting certain characters and literal years of experience. Again, Mkleo isn't some infallible God. He's just the best, bjt it would be silly to pretend his character choice isn't factoring into that.

And the reverse is true too. Pikachu is effectively irrelevant at high level play (outside of one guy), yet twist themselves into a pretzel to argue for it being broken on paper.

I'm not saying Byleth is top 5, but if this were literally any other fighting game it wouldn't be a question that Byleth is top tier. And yet he's consistently ranked lower than characters he is demonstrably outperforming. It's silly.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Well, the reality is that both sides of the argument are right and wrong. Like I said in my last post, Leo is doing some things with Byleth that other Byleths won't be able to do because Leo is outplaying his opponents, but there are other things that he's doing that can be replicated across skill levels.

That's why people look at Byleth at #39 on OrionStats and say, "well, whatever Leo is doing must not be easy to replicate, because no one else is doing it, so Byleth isn't that good."

It goes both ways, though; it's possible that other Byleths just don't put in the time to replicate Leo's drift, fastfall timings, and setups.

To really figure out how how good Byleth is, you have to critically evaluate the evidence, the individual situations. Look at situations that Leo is in and ask yourself, is this something that I can replicate against someone of my skill level? Or is this something that Leo can do because he outskills his opponent?

(I'm really invested in this topic so you could probably keep me talking about this for ages, but we should probably also devote some space here to ROB.)

Nah

Smash Champion
I'd really need at least two things to happen to just even begin to believe that Byleth is this apparently amazing character, which are:
1) An extremely thorough and comprehensive explanation as to why, that does not a) do that thing that is still somehow happening in this thread of all threads in almost-2022 where people just list strengths/weaknesses and gloss over weaknesses/strengths and do **** like that, and b) does not put so much stock in MKLeo's performance with the character, as humanly as possible.
2) We see widespread success with Byleth a la other top tiers.

blackghost

Smash Champion
leo playstyle is composed primarily on immaculate spacing, heavily pushing advantage, and not panicking when pressured.

there are times when top players in fighting games do things the average player cannot replicate but i dont think thats Leos byleth. Byleth is inherently a good character he has frame data that is more than serviceable (i made a post comparing byleth to sepiroth) the main critic byleth got and still receives is that hes "slow".

byleth has tools to KO, edge gaurd, combo, and space. using the tools effectively is on the players but the character on raw evaluation has everything he needs to suceed.

Characters like kazuya, ice climbers, bayonetta, and shotos and a few others require such high execution that average players cant routinely replicate what their players do. in those instnaces its ok to include the players when evaluating a character. but less so when a character isnt a high bar execution character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Waiting for widespread results goes directly against how Pikachu is perceived, doesn't it?

I think there is a bit of a problem demanding that the results be highly replicated since there are so many fighters, and yet not that many truly exceptional players. Its not like they all have dedicated super mains that will push their metas to the extreme. Maybe there are gems we don't even know about because a top level player hasn't picked them up. Can it be done? If yes, then there is something to be said there. Consistency is also an issue, yes, but you can't expect Leo level players to show up so frequently. There is an argument to be made about lower levels of play, but if a fighter is hard to use or takes more practice to really milk those top results, then they may not be so relevant.

Either way, Leo is not some great and unstoppable force. He clutches out the win most if not all the time when it matters, but that doesn't mean others aren't at least near his skill level. They just are playing other fighters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah, Ike Bair is an excellent move and one of the staples to his character sure. I'd argue it'd be broken on anyone else, but I'd hesitate to call his hitboxes overall better when most of them that are bigger are far slower than Byleth's and get used way less. Even similar moves like dair and dsmash Byleth takes the edge on thanks to the shield damage. Ike Nair of course, being the exception.

Oh wait we're talking about Byleth.
Uhh yeah, I think he's quite good. Nair is a god move.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
On Protobanham's birthday stream, he mentioned that he was surprised by just how fast and aggressively people play outside of Japan, and that his timing and pacing were essentially accustomed to Japan's speed.

I wonder if this is part of why certain players do better/worse when they travel.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Don't have OrionStats yet, but we do have other statistics from the SWT Championships.
Here is Character Usage vs Win Rate.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

NairWizard

Somewhere
One more thing that's worth noting outside of viability, before the topic of Byleth is exhausted, is that it seems based on SWT that Byleth and Jigglypuff are tied for having the best edgeguarding in the game. Which one is better depends on the matchup (Jiggs is better at edgeguarding Corrin and Hero for example, while Byleth is clearly favored vs. Roy), but I think they marginally eke out the likes of Bayonetta, Sheik, and Pikachu narrowly just because of how consistent some of their offstage setups can be.

You can probably imagine what an MU chart for Byleth would look like at this point, but it may be harder to imagine for Jiggs.

Conveniently, here's a new MU chart by Bassmage:

Outside of Sonic and Aegis, I think it's quite notable that they excel in complementary matchups. This has a lot to do with the different styles of their edgeguarding. (it's also interesting that in the head to head, Jiggs beats Byleth pretty hard via edgeguarding; Leo said he'd rather face sparg0 and ESAM with Byleth than Bassmage).

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Jakal posted some interesting opinions on Aegis
Tilde decided to chime in

More and more top players are not only starting to believe that they are the best, but some seem to believe they're the best by far. That said I don't think they're going to kill the game and I don't think they surpass :4cloud: like Jakal says. Smash 4 Cloud had larger hitboxes then Mythra and just as large ones as Pyra, could actually have power and speed at the same time, had some very good autocancel windows on his aerials and then Infinite Limit was just brokenas it made him faster and gave him better kill power on his specials.

That said, I do agree with Tilde that they're the best, and I think that's mostly because a lot of the other characters considered highly of are more mentally taxing/more difficult/more stressful to play in a top level bracket. Aegis are really simple, and their overall overtuned kit also heavily rewards your fundamentals, so you see them more in top level then any other character.

On another note: DDee is looking to be picking up Roy. That's another PR Roy player in Georgia alongside Kola and Mugen.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I guess they took the concept of a living sword a bit farther than the other cast members were ready for lol ah well aside from design changes what nerfs can you deal the aegis while keeping the spirit of the character alive? I don't know what it was like in 4 because Bayonetta but if cloud was considered game breaking or over-tuned or whatever and they think aegis is even more so then I don't know what to think.

NairWizard

Somewhere
ah well aside from design changes what nerfs can you deal the aegis while keeping the spirit of the character alive?
pyra f/up-tilt and there's no second-place contender

Thinkaman Thinkaman in a personal convo with me compiled a list of sparg0's kills at Mainstage against Leo. I'll quote it here:

fair -> unavoidable offstage fair
fair -> unavoidable offstage side-b
bair
dair -> up-b
Mythra u-smash OoS
jab3 vs. ledge getup
f-tilt vs. ledge attack (after f-tilt in neutral)
fair -> dash attack read
sour dair (anti-air) -> fair
up-b (offstage kamakaze)
Mythra u-smash vs. grab miss
Mythra u-smash vs. ledge getup
u-tilt vs. ledge attack
nair
u-tilt vs. ledge roll
f-tilt (read against landing with no DJ after sour dair)
u-tilt vs. ledge jump
f-tilt
dair ledge spike
f-tilt vs. ledge getup
u-smash
jab3 vs. ledge getup

So out of 22 kills:
3 Mythra, all u-smash against what were all arguably mistakes by Leo
1 fancy dair ledge spike
1 fancy up-b kamakaze
7 ledge callouts (2 jab3, 2 f-tilt, 3 u-tilt)
3 reads in soft advantage (fair -> dash attack, sour dair -> f-tilt, sour dair -> fair)
7 raw kills in neutral (2 fair, 1 bair, 1 dair, 1 nair, 1 f-tilt, 1 u-smash)
So Pyra f-tilt and up-tilt probably are the most "nerfworthy" things in the kit.

It's actually probably fine that Pyra kills early and that Mythra wins neutral "for free," and that you can swap between them freely to combine the two. It's strong, but fine. The problem is that Mythra should have to win neutral in specific ways to enable kills with Pyra (like setting you up for a platform tech chase). Dash attacking someone and then ledgetrapping them with a tilt isn't "a specific way."

An unreactable burst and reaction-based whiff punish shouldn't lead to reaction-based ledgetrap KO; in general, that's a bit too free, and it doesn't happen for anyone else in the game nearly as consistently.

For example, Sonic also has unreactable burst options that can double as reaction-based whiff punishing, but he doesn't get free ledgetrapping KOs. You saw KEN fish for Sonic f-smashes by roll distance against sisqui's Samus because that's the best that Sonic can do to get the kill from that scenario. Pyra/Mythra don't have to fish; Mythra reacts to your neutral option with a dash attack, and then Pyra reacts to your ledge option with a tilt. Nerf Pyra tilts, and you keep their design intact but tone down the character strength.

You could honestly get away with just touching Pyra and leaving Mythra totally alone.

But, there won't be any more nerfs, so this is just answering the question of "how would you nerf them if you had to."

Arthur97

Smash Master
I guess they took the concept of a living sword a bit farther than the other cast members were ready for lol ah well aside from design changes what nerfs can you deal the aegis while keeping the spirit of the character alive? I don't know what it was like in 4 because Bayonetta but if cloud was considered game breaking or over-tuned or whatever and they think aegis is even more so then I don't know what to think.
Relatively minor gripe time: they aren't actually living swords. They can make swords, but they themselves are not swords. In fact, their weapons can break or be lost and they can replace them with ease (kinda like how Pyra can lose it in Smash).

Ahem, still, this seems like a lot of kneejerk worrying about what might happen. Gotta get them clicks. And I will admit this was a bit closer to my idea of dominating, but even then it was only three and only one dedicated main with one not even using them that much. Enough of the fear mongering. How many times has the community collectively been wrong anyway?

Aligo

Smash Ace
Reducing their weight may be one option, that's how the balanced GnW. Then again, I have no idea why the she is performing so well. Mythra doesn't do that well against sheilds, and Pyra is just bad in general for the most part.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I think most people underrate Byleth on the tier list rating thing just because of his speed.

Personally, I don't think speed is the be all and end all on what makes a character good. The results for the character speaks for itself, really.

It's fun watching Leo use him.

Can't say the same for Aegis, and it dismays me that we're going to be seeing even more of that character in tourneys, most likely oversaturating the top 32 and top 8's.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I think most people underrate Byleth on the tier list rating thing just because of his speed.

Personally, I don't think speed is the be all and end all on what makes a character good. The results for the character speaks for itself, really.

It's fun watching Leo use him.

Can't say the same for Aegis, and it dismays me that we're going to be seeing even more of that character in tourneys, most likely oversaturating the top 32 and top 8's.
its partially speed and paetially this character didnt truly start at zero he started at like -100 in perception. People watched sakurai play (he lost to the AI i think or it was close) and people didnt want byleth like vocally. so a character that didnt have a storng showing that wasnt well recived and by extension never got a fair chance in many players eyes. I saw a short on youtube of mars playing byleth and him being outright shocked at what byleth could do. i dont think many players even have tried learning byleth.

Top Bottom