• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comparison of the American and Japanese Tier List

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
We need to send Anther over to Japan so he can show them how wrong they are about Pikachu's placement...

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Thoughts on why we interpret them differently or why we have Luigi way higher?

Mario's Fireball is significantly better and his Cape is a fantastic utility tool and reflector, making him a much better at both camping and approaching than Luigi. Luigi has ridiculously dangerous kill moves where Mario is somewhat weak. They're not as alike as their movesets would imply -- more like Ness/Lucas than Falcon/Ganon, yeah? :p
Sorry if that wasn't clear; I was asking both, actually! You get 2 points for interpreting both sides of the question correctly.

What about our metagame makes us think Luigi is superior to Mario (and quite a few others), and why would Japan's best feel that Mario is the superior Mario Brother? I would venture that since we think Luigi is the better brother, we put more stock into powerful kill moves, while Japanese brawlers put more stock into utility, gimping, and OoS options? I dunno, I think I'm just rambling at this point.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I really like how high fox is in the Japanese tier list. The North American tier lists tend to really exaggerate how much a character has been downgraded.

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
"I had to took Zelda/Shiek twice, otherwise there would be problems. (For Example Ganondorf would have +1 because they have 1 less character although he is still the last...)."
what? how do they have one less character?

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Agreed. Same could be said about Kirby (I mean, come on... Chudat is still the only widely-accepted top Kirby main), Olimar (on a serious note: can anyone point me to a great Olimar player? I wanna watch vids), and a couple others who I haven't payed attention to.
Not entirely true on the Kirby point. Or have you never heard of Y.b.M?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
DK is 18th on ours and 21st on theirs but you only said -/+ 2.
Cuz 2 (his) + 3 (real number) = 5, and since it's 2 tier lists, 5x2=10, then... wait...

I lost myself.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Cuz 2 (his) + 3 (real number) = 5, and since it's 2 tier lists, 5x2=10, then... wait...

I lost myself.
Then you divide by x and since the 10 is 5x2 division gets 2.5 which is right between the two values, and you realize that when you round you get 3.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
"I had to took Zelda/Shiek twice, otherwise there would be problems. (For Example Ganondorf would have +1 because they have 1 less character although he is still the last...)."
what? how do they have one less character?
Their tier list has Zelda/sheik together. Our tier list has them separated. Anyone beneath them would appear higher on the japanese list, consequently.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Japan only has 6 legal stages. BF, SV, FD as neutrals, and yoshi's (brawl), Halberd, and Lylat as CPs. This probably affects the metagame a fair bit.

Japan only has 6 legal stages. BF, SV, FD as neutrals, and yoshi's (brawl), Halberd, and Lylat as CPs. This probably affects the metagame a fair bit.
I doubt it effects it a great deal. I mean certain characters that do really bad on some CPs won't have to deal with those for the entire set. Most of the time sets are spent on Neutrals and occasional CPs that are pretty neutral to begin with. Lylat, yoshi's and Halberd are pretty neutral in themselves with only minor variations that effect gameplay for many. You take Falco to Lylat, lasers is messed up, and CG is more escapeable if he happens to go down hill doing the CG. Apart from that the game falco plays is not horrible.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Funny how Mario is below Bowser in the US, but above him in Japan.

At least the two lists have one thing in common; Snake and Meta Knight are at the top.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Zelda/Shiek messed up a lot, they confused me <,<

At first I had a list where I just had them only one time, then ganon had +1 and I recognized that I have to put them twice in the list and corrected all the places... it seems that I forgot to change some of them :/

Sorry :(

Edit: I hope it's now correct :/

otter

Smash Ace
I dont think that American metagame is much farther from japanese, what i think is that japanese have like to think that all fighting games are camping contests where characters with proyectiles must camp and keep distance all the time while firing whatever they fire and fast characters with good aproaches are the ones that can keep up with them. Why do you think their time per match is 10 mins? Because they know that camping takes time...

This strategy is very useful and smart but utterly booooooring. Japaneses are too methodical and that makes it boring. If you dont believe me watch japanese street fighter matches.
I don't think this is thecase, especially regarding street fighter. It may seem that way because american smash players have formed a taboo on defensive play.

In the early metagame stages of third strike, it was typical for top americans to use campy ryus. It took years to figure out the aggressive chuns and yuns of japan.

My point is japan is typicly not known for camping. A big part of this (as someone else mentioned) is because they do not always play with money on the line so they are not afraid to rush that **** down.

Top Bottom