• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos..

MT Williams

Smash Cadet
NNID
MTW829
3DS FC
2423-4493-5543
Anybody know some good combos to use with Link? I'm new to project M and I think he's one of my best, but I could definitely be better

Sarix

Smash Ace
Here's a basic combo theory I've come up with for Link. I still have things to expand upon in it because I haven't tested everything. But basically with the below you can usually just make combos by taking a starter, then a filler, then an ender. Though not all of these options work with each other and things like the Utilt > Bair filler are dependent on your position in relation to the opponent along with their DI.

Starters:
Double Jab Cancel
Utilt (Anti-air)
Utilt > Bair (loopable on some characters)
Dtilt (DACUS filler)
Fthrow
Dthrow
DACUS

Fillers:
Usmash
DACUS (loopable on some characters)

Enders:
Ftilt
Nair
Fair
Uair

Winter_Sun

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that the boomerang and bombs can be used to allow you to get in or finish off a combo.

Dash attack can be a nice start up as well as a combo for mid weight characters.

Up-B can also be used to end a combo.

Btw nice list Sarix.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
If you knock someone onto a platform, a full hop f-air without fast falling provides good option coverage because you will swing both hits. If you happen to land the second hit, guess what? MORE COMBOS!!!

Neloht

Smash Rookie
zair is also a viable option against larger opponents (bowser and king dedede) to set up a uair finisher.
zair is also usable against characters that are about the same height as link and are heavy such as falco.

Player -0

Smash Hero
If you hit with the second hit of zair you might have enough time to DACUS in or even dash attack or the like. So Zair should be considered a starter or maybe even a filler.

SleepyTRex

Smash Cadet
Here's a basic combo theory I've come up with for Link. I still have things to expand upon in it because I haven't tested everything. But basically with the below you can usually just make combos by taking a starter, then a filler, then an ender. Though not all of these options work with each other and things like the Utilt > Bair filler are dependent on your position in relation to the opponent along with their DI.

Starters:
Double Jab Cancel
Utilt (Anti-air)
Dtilt (DACUS filler)
Fthrow
Dthrow
DACUS

Fillers:
Usmash
DACUS (loopable on some characters)

Enders:
Ftilt
Nair
Fair
Uair
What about Dair the best move of them all you silly :0

La_Popo

Smash Rookie
SHFFL-ing n-airs is a really good combo starter against heavy characters like Bowser, Ganon, etc.
They can be followed up with u-tilts or f-airs.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
actually, tether on stage works as a great combo tool, with a long range and little landing lag. You should all really try it out. It brings the opponent towards link, so you can use projectiles to trap into a tether into a larger combo.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I remember someone saying you could get combos off of your bomberang. What all can you do from it? I think you can dair, fair, and nair but I'm not sure.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I remember someone saying you could get combos off of your bomberang. What all can you do from it? I think you can dair, fair, and nair but I'm not sure.
The honest answer is... practically anything you want, if you're close enough.

Obviously it depends on opponent %, weight, range, DI, etc etc etc, but a boomerang hit generally gives a really nice setup into grab at super low %, Dash attack practically whenever, and upB near killing %, to name a few of the simple ones.

If you get the pop-up, then yeah, you start getting Fair and Nair pretty soon. Dair is a bit sensitive to stun-time + DI, so it's not all that reliable, but it's there.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
The best thing about Smash is that you create your own combos. Here's a few if your looking for a little something spicy.

Impalement(usually done at mid percent):
-Dthrow>SH>Dair

Blender(extremely useful on spacies):
-Dthrow>UpB(grounded)
*This will fling them right off the stage which is where you want a spacie. Off the ground and fighting for his life.

Bomb-Up(great at mid percent):
-Pull out a bomb>Throw it from the ground up as hard as possible and wait a second or two(the bomb should take about three full seconds to be above you)>Z(Grab your opponent)>Uthrow into the bomb explosion.

Slice n' Dice(good at mid to high percent)*next to the ledge its a perfect meteor:
-Jab>Jab>Dtilt
*This is also a good start up combo anywhere on the ground

Trip-slash(used by most Link mains. Good at mid-high percent)
-Down-left or Down-right(angled) boomerang>SH(double jump if needed)>Fair

Like everyone has said, use your Uptilt! Its so good for combos!
Dthrow>Utilt(looped) racks up easy damage

Also remember that Zair is great because if you hit him on the sweetspot, the Clawshot pops your opponent up in the air ready for more combos!

Personally, I go to Training mode and experiment with tons of different ways of approaching and different combos. If I create something I like and think its viable, I'll go practice it on lvl9s and see if it works in battle. Good luck and remember that if you don't watch your zoning you'll be the one getting combo'ed.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Last edited:

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
I think the coolest combo I've ever landed with Link is u-tilt > reverse-hit bair > fair at medium percent to set up for an edgeguard. Felt like Isai with his Smash 64 combos. That's pretty needlessly flashy stuff though, and I can't even pull it off unless I'm really feeling myself.

Also, juggling with u-airs is pretty good against fast fallers, and intentionally hitting a late one allows for a fair finisher. The boomerang can also occasionally extend a juggle when your opponent DI's far enough away, though this is difficult at lower percents because the boomerang won't provide the necessary hitstun to keep him/her from doing something. DACUS can also follow up against good combo DI when you're close enough to the ground.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Try the Trip-Slash at medium percent. Throw a boomerang at close range(hard boomerang) at a down-right/down-left angle. This will trip your opponent. When they are in the air. Quickly dash a bit forward, SH, and Fair. This is a great and simple combo. The up-tilt>Bair>Fair is great. I love using that combo. Also try Dthrow>up-tilt(looped)>upair or on spacies at mid percent here's a perfect easy move. Dthrow>Upb(grounded). It flings space straight off the stage which is right where you want a spacie. Then just capitalize off their bad recovery. I like to meteor smash spacies with Dtilt near the ledge. Feels rewarding.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
dthrow > utilt > bair > turnaround regrab

SH Bair > SH Bair > upB

dthrow > utilt > dash attack > Nair > dash attack > bair > upB

Zair > Fair, Uair, or Dair

usmash under platform > FH Fair double slash

FH above opponent > bombdrop shield trap > turnaround grab > anything

Jab Jab > dsmash/jab combo/ftilt/upB

These are a few of my favorite things....

Seriously, it feels like you can chain anything together with Link... ridiculously fun stuff.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Try the Trip-Slash at medium percent. Throw a boomerang at close range(hard boomerang) at a down-right/down-left angle. This will trip your opponent. When they are in the air. Quickly dash a bit forward, SH, and Fair. This is a great and simple combo. The up-tilt>Bair>Fair is great. I love using that combo. Also try Dthrow>up-tilt(looped)>upair or on spacies at mid percent here's a perfect easy move. Dthrow>Upb(grounded). It flings space straight off the stage which is right where you want a spacie. Then just capitalize off their bad recovery. I like to meteor smash spacies with Dtilt near the ledge. Feels rewarding.
Funny, I don't think I've ever actually meteor-smashed someone with d-tilt. I always forget that's a possibility! I usually just down smash at the ledge, which pops fast-fallers up for a satisfying fair to the face. Though I'm often at a loss against floaties, so I'll have to try more d-tilts.

Also Fenrir, I second that jab jab thing. Someone told me about that at Apex (my first tournament, by the way), and it completely revolutionized my neutral game. I have to ask though, is jab jab>up-b a true combo? People always get a shield up before I can do it, but maybe I'm not quite getting the buttons fast enough.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Also Fenrir, I second that jab jab thing. Someone told me about that at Apex (my first tournament, by the way), and it completely revolutionized my neutral game. I have to ask though, is jab jab>up-b a true combo? People always get a shield up before I can do it, but maybe I'm not quite getting the buttons fast enough.
Nah it's situational. Works around kill % against an opponent who doesn't crouch cancel. The jabs lift them off the ground at higher %s, so they can't shield it.

It also works against opponents who are in the air, like coming off a shorthop or at the edge of a platform.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I love hitting people who are shielding at the edge with FF fair > slide off > d-tilt meteor.
Or walk forward and push them off, but that's harder.

GleXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
GleXx76
Your boomerang is a beautiful tool to use to get back on stage i usually aim it at the ledge grab on or tether on and it just bueatiful how fast you can use it specially since u can aim it up. I usually let them approach Bommerang>jab>jab>uTilt>dTilt>spin attack(only at high percent).

Top Bottom