• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Breaker by Pause!

TheStig

Smash Lord
Everytime I play this one guy he mashes his controller insanely and hits pause almost everytime i chain grab him. Should I be allowed to restart my chaingrab because pause screws up the timing when I unpause it? Or should I turn pause off in the options list when I play?

Thoughts?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Oh lulz, whenever I mash the buttons, sometimes I can accidentally mash the start button since my hands are everywhere mashing on the controller, lol.

Maybe you should turn off Pause, because most likely in matches you won't pause since you're playing, unless a parent calls you or when your hands are sweaty so you could wipe it off when you want to pause the screen...

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Just make him learn not to hit Start when he mashes buttons. Whatever he's doing to mash buttons would only hurt him in a tourney anyway.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Turn pause off and tell him to mash the control stick back and forth, not all the buttons.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
In SSB64, my controler used to be broken to the point where it would pause back and forth naturally. I hated those days. If he's using Pause to stop your Chain Grabs, just turn the Pause off, and let him see if he can mash his way out of it still.

lain

Smash Master
If someone does it in tournament, that's a free grab. He legitimately ****ed up what you were doing by illegally pausing the game.

•Col•

Smash Champion
If someone does it in tournament, that's a free grab.
No, it's a DQ.

People will usually be cool about it, though. If someone accidentally paused the game in the middle of the chaingrab, then if they just SD'ed or let me grab them again, it'd probably be fine.

...That's a bit out of proportion. A free grab is reasonable, since you had that anyway. A lost stock, on the other hand, was never guaranteed.
Not really, considering 1 grab from Ice Climbers = Death.... >_> And if you don't agree with it, then fine, you'd just get disqualified.

I'm sure that'd be better than losing a stock.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
fly in my brawl boards??? lol

I've accidentally paused before and had people do it to my climbers. Just let them get the grab again...I would be inclined to turn pause off during tourney matches anyway.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
fly in my brawl boards??? lol

I've accidentally paused before and had people do it to my climbers. Just let them get the grab again...I would be inclined to turn pause off during tourney matches anyway.
lol yeah

I never planned on quitting Brawl; I just want to take a break so I can focus on improving at Melee for a while. I'll probably be going to tourneys again within the next couple months.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Not really, considering 1 grab from Ice Climbers = Death.... >_> And if you don't agree with it, then fine, you'd just get disqualified.

I'm sure that'd be better than losing a stock.
No, 1 grab from Ice Climbers = potential death. I occasionally (read: often) miss a re-grab, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. Especially against lightweights.

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
No, 1 grab from Ice Climbers = potential death. I occasionally (read: often) miss a re-grab, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. Especially against lightweights.
Why does everyone say they're harder to cg? I have the most trouble with heavies. Bowser, DK, snake, ROB, etc.

I can 0-death light weights consistently though: jigs, Mk, Gw, kirby.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Why does everyone say they're harder to cg? I have the most trouble with heavies. Bowser, DK, snake, ROB, etc.

I can 0-death light weights consistently though: jigs, Mk, Gw, kirby.
Some people start learning to CG on heavy character since they assume the timing is easy there, when they get to lightweight it all falls down.

For some people that started on lightweight, the timing to too long on heavy characters.

That's my guess :3

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Some people start learning to CG on heavy character since they assume the timing is easy there, when they get to lightweight it all falls down.

For some people that started on lightweight, the timing to too long on heavy characters.

That's my guess :3
ye your right i started on heavyweights so i got the slow timing then started building it up

oh btw your sig is awesome

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
ye your right i started on heavyweights so i got the slow timing then started building it up

oh btw your sig is awesome
If we could just tell everyone to start learning CGs on lightweights since most of our problems are lightweight characters :3 *cough MK cough

And Super Pichu Galaxy is wayy tooo good <3

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I can chaingrab every lightweight except for MK and GW. -__-

And GW is like...the character that counters me so I wish I could.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
For MK and G&W it's way too hard to GC them with Dthrow to Fthrow :*(

So I find Dthrow to Bthrow to pivot grab works pretty well :3 I can't do Bthrow with Popo holding my opponent, Nana keeps rolling away so it blows I can't do Bthrow to Bthrow >.>

I love the fact the discussion is out of topic xD

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol al find myself one weeek cging heavies like a pro and sucking on light weights and then the next al cg lightweights like a pro and cg heavies horribly XD.

Lains smart to cg lightweights flawlessly and uses ddd against heavy characters instead of ice climbers. Its hard to find a balance between the two, but most heavies can be beaten without cging @ a 100% because you have more opportunities to grab them *aka laggy characters*

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I find Jigglypuff and ZSS awkward to chaingrab, so I slow my CG a little bit. :/

For heavies, I do footstool grabs + smash grabs. :3 The damage output is just ridiculous I say. O:<

nasir123

Smash Ace
hey yi man i no how u feel i awlays play with a peach player called NikoK and whenever i chain grab em e mashes and he hits pause. It pisses me off but i think ur allowed to regrab in tournements but only if U skrew it up because of the pause. bye the way thanks for making this thread

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
for mk i do dthrow+dthrow+bthrow footstool iceblock (it does work since nana is a bit behind you from the dthrow). same with jiggs. On all other lightweights i do dthrow to fthrow to bthrow to iceblock. Great combo as it racks up damage quicker than most chaingrabs by keeping your moves fresher.... for heavies i just get lazy and do bthrow footstool bthrow footstool etc.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Start DI is the best AT.

At all the big tourneys (say, CoT4), do they typically turn off pausing or is that something you gotta watch out for yourself?

Top Bottom