• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

look at me i can put my name after i post even though everyone knows its already me thanks to my big name on the top of my post

-judo chop action super buddha aka **** you fino

Dekar173

Justice Man

It's not fair how when Supercon ends up being a 1-2-3-4 Kansas Victory that 4th place doesn't get paid, yet 5th and 7th do =-/
You forgot to add 4th place :p lol

~Fino
You can be as confident as you want. Got any Diddys in your region? Go practice the match-up a bit, you'll need it :)

Underload

Lazy
Hey, I don't know how these bracket things work, okay? Gawd.

Yeah, top 8 sounds good. I can't believe I forgot about 4th place.

Kansas' smack talk has no backing. Dekar is a money grubber who's going to get ***** by Kansas in crews and MMs. Colorado is going to get two top 8 spots. All accurate predictions <3 !

EDIT: Who is Kansas bringing, exactly? I'm assuming you're going, Fino, but who else?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yo, is Tim. Figured I'd give an update on how Genesis went yesterday.

So Moblin went first, notable name in his pool was Sethlon. Mob didn't make it out of pools, but he did get a kill with ganon's utilt, and made sethlon look a bit foolish.

I was next, notable names were adhd and edreeses or however it is spelled. First match was adhd, managed to steal a round from him by reversing his gimp attempt, then promptly proceeded to play like **** for the rest of the pool. Didn't make it out.

Finally was Meno. Only name I knew from his pool was simna, but that's from melee. Meno started out great, winning his first 2 sets, then lost a set, then won a set. However, the pressure got to him and he ended up losing the final two sets, after being far ahead in every match, and ended up a single win from advancing.

Underload

Lazy
Payout for top EIGHT?

Hell no.

Top 5 at most.
AHAHAHAHAHA. No.

We have ~ an $1100 dollar pot. No reason to horde money.

I was thinking about something like this: (all payout is going off of an $1100 pot)

1st: 40% ($440)
2nd: 20% ($220)
3rd: 15% ($165)
4th: 10% ($110)
5th: 5% ($55)
5th: 5% ($55)
7th: 2.5% ($27.50)
7th: 2.5% ($27.50)

But I'm not familiar with numbers when it comes to payout @ a tourney.

I used 60 entrants as a rough estimate (60 x $10 = $600) plus the $500 pot bonus from NVGA ($1100).

EDIT: Also, I saw what Meno's pool was like when I looked at the results on AiB. Meno should've gotten into the bracket >.>

Tim kinda got pool *****, though. Good stuff taking a game off of ADHD.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
What's the payout going to be like @ SuperCon? If it's top 2 like @ C3T, that's gotta change.

Top 8 at least. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th.
Ummm... 1st-3rd get money in a standard C3T tournament. 1st-2nd for teams, unless there are like... 6 teams. Then just 1st. We'll prolly make it top 3 get pot portions, 4th gets their entry fee. Though really, if you get 4th, you don't really deserve the money IMHO. I've been getting 4th for years.

5th and lower are NOT gettting money. Punishing the good players to reward the bad ones is no good.

Kansas' smack talk has no backing. Dekar is a money grubber who's going to get ***** by Kansas in crews and MMs. Colorado is going to get two top 8 spots. All accurate predictions <3
Placing top 8 in a Brawl tournament with less than 100 people isn't anything special, especially in your own state. CO better have at least one person in top 4 for Brawl, or should start to actually practice the game. I don't think CO even placed top 64 in Brawl at Genesis, and that's really sad considering the size of the scene for it. Hell, I don't even know if they made it out of pools. This is nothing against them, this is just saying that our scene better start playing for seriouslies, or change games. At OC3 most of us made it out of pools, myself included (despite someone lying about their results vs me.)

Granted, there weren't as many people as there are at Genesis, and top 3 made it out of pools (maybe 4? Not sure), but all the same, we were at LEAST above the average level there. Nowadays, I'm pretty confident we'd only be losing to people at Forward's level or higher (assuming he can still beat our top players). But we haven't been OoS for a good Melee tournament in a while, so who knows?

I'm just blathering, lololol. Point is, our Brawl scene needs to start fueling itself, or burn out already.

If'n no one takes top 4 from CO in Brawl, they don't deserve a dime. Earn the money.

Underload

Lazy
I could've sworn that only top 2 got paid @ C3T.

Maybe we should have some conditions for singles entry? Like, if 1-60 people show up, x amount of people get paid, if 61+ show up, then y amount of people get paid, etc etc.

In the end, it's up to Tony and the Cutthroat guys.

Fino

Smash Master
Hey, I don't know how these bracket things work, okay? Gawd.

Kansas' smack talk has no backing. Dekar is a money grubber who's going to get ***** by Kansas in crews and MMs. Colorado is going to get two top 8 spots. All accurate predictions <3 !

EDIT: Who is Kansas bringing, exactly? I'm assuming you're going, Fino, but who else?
It's going to be Domo, KY, MJG, and myself.

Also, I think payout should be 3-4, with 4 getting a smidgen above buy-in... but not 5. Also, I thought the $500 bonus was for first place, not the pot... am I completely wrong on this? lol (most likely).

~Fino

MK.II

Smash Rookie
Who all is going to the tourney next week in the Springs at Mr. Biggs?

I should be there for sure, being I live here.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
With all the pokemon in the world, it's still surprising that you haven't caught them all.

MK.II

Smash Rookie
I thought it was this week. This Friday to be more exact?

Either way, I think Tim still plans on making it. And I plan on making it with him too.
That's what I meant to say, but anyway that's awesome.

Underload

Lazy
We don't play against each other a lot, and a lot of our players are MIA. Thems the reasons why we suck at Brawl and can't get out of pools at big tournies.

Melee scene's gone AWOL too. I've never even seen half the guys in Colorado that are apparently good at that game.

This means week need more smashfests.

Or, preferably, go through with that Brawl & Melee biweekly idea that was completely forgotten because we're too lazy to look for a venue.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Alright, we're back, and I'm gonna just go ahead and nip this in the bud.

Tony, leave the rest of the scene alone. They didn't make it to genesis. Talk all you want about the 3 of us that didn't make it out of pools, but you don't know how the others would've done. I crumpled under pressure like a wimp, and the others were doing their first OOS tourney. Not everyone does great the first time they go and face people they've heard the names of. I was proud of how well meno and moblin did, even if they didn't make it out of pools. They both learned a lot, and I learned a bit too, which is why we went.

Underload, and everyone else, those are not the reasons we suck at brawl. There are a few. However, the top issue is that the CO scene doesn't want to play brawl, they want to play nice-brawl, with less camping and less "cheap". After Genesis, I've been reinspired to pick olimar back up, and I'm going to camp the living hell out of any CO player I play with him. I would like Fino to do the same. Meno will be actively camping for reals. If the brawl players quit, then we aren't meant to have a brawl scene that can compete nationally. And that will be that, and I will be going to nothing but blazblue. Not a threat, but if the scene that claims it wants to exist won't step up and prove it, I have no desire to be a part of it.

Unban the IC's infinite effective immediately, change our neutrals to BF, FD, SV (that's my opinion), and let's see what happens at supercon.

Fino

Smash Master
After Genesis, I've been reinspired to pick olimar back up, and I'm going to camp the living hell out of any CO player I play with him. I would like Fino to do the same.
I have a beautiful guide that is about to recieve a 9 page update (or more.. that's all I've gotten done so far) on the olimar forums =] I'll be glad to help you get started up again though ;D

As for camping you guys... sorry. I'm the weirdo who plays an agressive, fast, techincal olimar.... >.> and I only camp in certain match-ups (if it's the best strategy in other words).
Unban the IC's infinite effective immediately, change our neutrals to BF, FD, SV (that's my opinion), and let's see what happens at supercon.
I support un-banning the IC infinite... because I want to do that to you guys ^^; Don't be afraid... I just like grabbing people =]

Also, having 5-7 neutrals is good. 3 is a bit too restricting. 5-7 neutrals + stage striking is what everyone else does.

~Fino

Alright, we're back, and I'm gonna just go ahead and nip this in the bud.

Tony, leave the rest of the scene alone. They didn't make it to genesis. Talk all you want about the 3 of us that didn't make it out of pools, but you don't know how the others would've done. I crumpled under pressure like a wimp, and the others were doing their first OOS tourney. Not everyone does great the first time they go and face people they've heard the names of. I was proud of how well meno and moblin did, even if they didn't make it out of pools. They both learned a lot, and I learned a bit too, which is why we went.

Underload, and everyone else, those are not the reasons we suck at brawl. There are a few. However, the top issue is that the CO scene doesn't want to play brawl, they want to play nice-brawl, with less camping and less "cheap". After Genesis, I've been reinspired to pick olimar back up, and I'm going to camp the living hell out of any CO player I play with him. I would like Fino to do the same. Meno will be actively camping for reals. If the brawl players quit, then we aren't meant to have a brawl scene that can compete nationally. And that will be that, and I will be going to nothing but blazblue. Not a threat, but if the scene that claims it wants to exist won't step up and prove it, I have no desire to be a part of it.

wow tim is it always about you

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about the U tilt kill, I liked when I ganoncided that diddy through delfino for the win on our last stocks.

anyway, yeah. I'm gonna stick with Ganon because I think he has a lot of potential. I admmit, I suck with him right now. But I've got a lot to learn so I'll only quit if I ever reach my peak with Ganondorf and still don't win anything.

meanwhile I'm gonna pick up marth and Diddy.

also, words of wisdom from M2k regarding this subject:

Shadowlink84
- What is your current view on Brawl. Is it a competitive game that
will be successful into the future, or is it simply riding on the
initial momentum built from its release?
M2K: It's pretty competitive if you don't play super lame. I try to
stay away from super lame most of the time, but if they play super lame
back then I don't have a choice. I used to think Brawl sucks but now I
think it's a really good game, but not Melee-good of course.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman

I have a beautiful guide that is about to recieve a 9 page update (or more.. that's all I've gotten done so far) on the olimar forums =] I'll be glad to help you get started up again though ;D

Also, having 5-7 neutrals is good. 3 is a bit too restricting. 5-7 neutrals + stage striking is what everyone else does.

~Fino
Maybe and maybe. It has been a while, but I got to watch quite a few successful olimar styles at genesis. It just seemed to me that having 3 neutrals sped things up a bit, which is helpful for brawl. Dunno, people didn't deliberate as much with the reduced neutral count. I'm more than willing to reconsider that point.

wow tim is it always about you
Who else could it be about?

Underload

Lazy
Wow Tim, way to lay down the law! I agree with everything you said, especially the idea of going to three neutrals instead of five. Although the list is going to be a bit short when it comes to stage striking, both players (or teams) can just agree on a starter stage instead of striking one after another, or something like that. FD, BF, and SV are the only three "neutral" stages in Brawl, imo. PS1 has walls and gay ledges, while Yoshi's has no ledges and that darn support ghost. So, I think that going to three neutrals would be a good decision overall.

Also, no more approaching for me ;D

meanwhile I'm gonna pick up marth and Diddy.
I could help you get on your feet if you decide to pick up Diddy.

Marth has the most good matchups next to MK though, so I think he would be the better secondary for Ganon and his overall bad matchups. Diddy is just plain **** in every matchup not named Peach if you know how to use him, though.

Either one is great.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Eh, I don't think it's the stage striking that slows down Brawl tournaments. :ohwell:

I really support 5 neutrals. The "neutrals" are biased enough toward high tiers (MK, Marth, Snake, Falco), limiting them down to three doesn't sound productive. If anything we need to be adding more neutrals. :D :D :D

But 5 is decent.

I also fully support the IC CG unban.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Marth has the most good matchups next to MK though, so I think he would be the better secondary for Ganon and his overall bad matchups. Diddy is just plain **** in every matchup not named Peach if you know how to use him, though.
Diddy is a heavy technical character in brawl, and does not plain "****" in every match up not named peach. Marth, loses to Snake and MK, MK can do everything better than marth, and Snake just is too good vs Marth. Diddy loses to Luigi, Good D3's(these matches are epic.) Good marths, MKs, etc... most important thing about Diddy is that you have to make sure your group doesn't know how to play against him. He is a **** character against an untrained meta. The meta needs to know how to use nana's, how to instant throw, z catch, etc... The reason for me being the only one who can get close to beating Dekar(who is btw just a **** amazing player) is that i know how to do these things. Not as well as I need to, but I still know.

3 neutrals is fine. Ics chaingrab shouldn't be banned or limited.

Limiting chaingrabs without Ic's is stupid. Just ban the standing infinite for D3, that way you don't have to watch as many matches with D3's, and you don't have as many problems.

Top Bottom