• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Underload

Lazy
If you want to add more starters, or even just mess around with them a little bit, these stages are your best bets, according to the SBR:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Halberd seems pretty fair to me. It > PS1 imo, I'd rather have a low ceiling than a wall for Dedede to go to work on.

EDIT: @Sinz: I was kidding about the "Diddy ***** in every matchup not named Peach" bit. Diddy's my 2nd, next to Snake, I know he has bad matchups. I was just having fun.

The points you make are pretty sobering, though. Good job, Moblin should definitely read up :D

Coming to SuperCon, I hope?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If you want to add more starters, or even just mess around with them a little bit, these stages are your best bets, according to the SBR:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Halberd seems pretty fair to me. It > PS1 imo, I'd rather have a low ceiling than a wall for Dedede to go to work on.
PS1 is more neutral than halberd is. Just ban the standing infinite. The wall doesn't last forever, and you just have to watch your spacing, even if you are worried about the wall, just camp them on the other side. Its just fine.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
With the ban on the ICs infinite banned, the rule does only apply to standing infinites such as D3's, and ones on the psychic brats. WHICH YOU ALWAYS FORGET SINZ, EVEN THOUGH I WAS LIKE THE 5TH BEST TEAMMATE EVER!

<3

Oh. I suppose I'll say that mkII and friend can stay with me, along with dook. Dunno if more people would want to squeeze in, but if they're willing to try, is fine.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
3 neutrals.
Says the MK. :p

Says the Snake. :p

Some consider BF and SV to be MK's best stages, and even FD to be one of his worst. After striking FD, MK will get one of his best stages. These are neutrals you say?

The midway point is to allow 5 neutrals, strike off the worst 2 in either direction, and meet at the third stage.

PS1 is more neutral than halberd is. Just ban the standing infinite. The wall doesn't last forever, and you just have to watch your spacing, even if you are worried about the wall, just camp them on the other side. Its just fine.
^^^
This.

Walls affects damage, and stocks if you're stupid. A high ceiling will only affect stocks. We choose the lesser affecting stage as the neutral.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I always forget the psychic dorks.... sorry tim :(

either way its fine, nobody plays the psychic dorks.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I stopped caring about "nice" brawl long ago. I used to be the epitome of anti-gay tactics and playing "honorably." I was against people spamming, camping, etc. But that's when I was a scrub playing only in my little circle of friends. I was the bestest and NOBODY could beat me... unless they played gay, which is probably why I was against it.

But then I realized that it's part of the game and I should deal with it. I've since learned to deal with spam pretty effectively and it doesn't phase me at all when people do it anymore. I don't even care about the infinites some characters do. If you get stuck in them it's probably your fault for messing up. So don't mess up. (I'm looking at you Spelt. Don't f**k up with Lucas so you don't get infinited.)

One of my friends (who only plays casually) stopped using Spamus when I was anti-spam. This weekend I went to his house and played with him for a while. I told him to pick Samus and spam and camp his *** off. It confused him because I haven't really played any serious matches with him since my anti-spam days. So he did. I 3 stocked him with several characters when I normally would have lost if I had still been against the spamming.

He could almost beat my Marth in melee by Samus spamming, and that shows how bad I really sucked at melee. Although I 4 stocked him with several characters this weekend in melee too.

I for one, still don't like playing extremely lame, simply because it's not fun. I mean, what fun is it just sitting there and pressing B with Pit? But I will do it if I have too, because sometimes, you simply have too...

So the lesson here is:
Learn not to care about anybody playing gay or you're only going to hurt yourself.

I also support the ICs CG.

Present for Moblin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gEOzGX6OFc

Too bad items are banned.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I'll still play Ganon against snake, that matchup is way too fun not to.

I was thinking of picking marth for those **** matchups

sheik/oli/icies/falco

and Diddy just because he's ****ing fun I think.

Idc how many neutrals. someone explain to me why it matters please?

edit: old zaj. soooooo ****ing old.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well it was a just a nice thoughtful gift for you! If you don't like it, take it back and get a refund. That is, if you don't care about my feelings. :(

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I agree with everything stated these last two pages. (Especially Tim) Colorado needs to get good at brawl, so let's ****ing play brawl, not altered melee. LIVE in your shield, space like HELL, LEARN the MK and Snake match up, don't get grabbed, use any bull**** tactic you can, and above all, if you have the lead, plank like ****. I really like you guys (especially Tim ^...^) and I want us all to thrive with the game we love. More Smashfests are a must. I for one can never have more than like five people over, but anytime someone would like to come, do so. I main Toon Link, so I can help you learn to powershield like **** and get around spam. I second Meta, so you can learn to...well...do something against him? I'm far away for most of you, but I get my license August fifth and will be able to ride to places closer than Denver. That is all for now. I love you, Colorado. Become the **** state you so deserve.

Fino

Smash Master
meh, I'm fine with 5, we really shouldn't be messing with the ruleset more than is necessary this close to the tourney.

Also, if we do end up not having enough housing space, there is always hotel info http://www.nvgaonline.com/SuperCon/abouthotel.php for some decent ones, but we should be able to handle everyone.
Is there a way Kansas could get housing. I'm not sure how you guys deal with OoS players, but it would be convenient to get some housing after having to drive 12 hours @.@

~Fino

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
Eh, I've seen this line of thinking and revolution to become a better Smash state. We had two SmashFests without full promised attendances.

Short version: Colorado doesn't NEED to be good at Brawl, and most-likely won't.

Long version: I honestly think the capacity of becoming a better Smash state is limited. We have our young, spirited, Smashers that have trouble getting anywhere consistently, and can't host in return either. Other Smashers are pretty much leaving the scene for a more true, easily accessible, fighting game scene (BlazBlue). Melee players that hate Brawl. I'll be honest here too, I don't think we're going anywhere. Tim had to push this envelope first last time, and this time too. I think this is just gonna be a state that's not gonna flourish nationally. Age, location, money, or personal drive, most are lacking one or more of these things that can better us as a state, and I don't see a lot of it changing, rather, I see it going downhill post-SuperCon.

Still though, flourish nationally or not, I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors. My drive for Brawl has been hella shot since BB's release. :laugh:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly, I'm still set on going pro. Although I know it's unlikely I will, it's not going to stop me from trying. It's not like I have anything to lose. I have fun playing smash and getting better just makes it more fun. The day my name becomes known, my goal will be met, but then I'll just start my next goal of becoming number 1.

I'm disappointed in the lack of spirit we all have. I mean, we discuss this "we're gonna get better" thing and everyone's all hyped for a couple days but it dwindles. It needs to stay.

I should be getting my license this month or early next month, so transportation won't be a problem either.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just so tim knows, I am trying to learn the psychic dorks. :) and I love him. :)

Dekar173

Justice Man
Honestly, I'm still set on going pro. Although I know it's unlikely I will, it's not going to stop me from trying. It's not like I have anything to lose. I have fun playing smash and getting better just makes it more fun. The day my name becomes known, my goal will be met, but then I'll just start my next goal of becoming number 1.

I'm disappointed in the lack of spirit we all have. I mean, we discuss this "we're gonna get better" thing and everyone's all hyped for a couple days but it dwindles. It needs to stay.

I should be getting my license this month or early next month, so transportation won't be a problem either.
That's the attitude, now for putting your money where your mouth is... ;)

But seriously, everyone has the potential to go anywhere in this game. All you guys have to do is put forth the effort (and not main a dead end character).

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I could've sworn that only top 2 got paid @ C3T.

Maybe we should have some conditions for singles entry? Like, if 1-60 people show up, x amount of people get paid, if 61+ show up, then y amount of people get paid, etc etc.
I'm not positive. Pretty sure top 3 got paid, but I'm not positive. D:

Nope. Top 4 at the most. Mediocrity does not merit reward. If you can't make your money back, get better. That's what I've been telling myself after however many years of placing one short of cash every time.

It's going to be Domo, KY, MJG, and myself.

Also, I think payout should be 3-4, with 4 getting a smidgen above buy-in... but not 5. Also, I thought the $500 bonus was for first place, not the pot... am I completely wrong on this? lol (most likely).

~Fino
Nah, the $500 is for the pot. I know, sad and all, but look at the bright side! You don't have to worry about not getting $500 cuz u suk.

Melee scene's gone AWOL too. I've never even seen half the guys in Colorado that are apparently good at that game.

Or, preferably, go through with that Brawl & Melee biweekly idea that was completely forgotten because we're too lazy to look for a venue.
Speak for yourself. We play Melee more than twice a week every week. Even with Blazblue out, I still play Melee with Rafa and company on a VERY regular basis. You don't see them because they LOATHE Brawl. Or just don't care about it. That's like complaining about not seeing Tekken players at a Soul Cal tournament.

Tony, leave the rest of the scene alone. They didn't make it to genesis. Talk all you want about the 3 of us that didn't make it out of pools, but you don't know how the others would've done. I crumpled under pressure like a wimp, and the others were doing their first OOS tourney. Not everyone does great the first time they go and face people they've heard the names of. I was proud of how well meno and moblin did, even if they didn't make it out of pools. They both learned a lot, and I learned a bit too, which is why we went.
You're getting it wrong there, buddy. I'm not picking on your kids. I'm glad Meno beat Simna, and I told Heibrahi that you took a match from ADHD and he was all liek... OMGARRRR! And Moblin plays Ganon, so him just having fun is good enough for me. And learning is the whole point of going OoS, especially with a gimmicky game like Brawl (or Melee.) I'm really really REALLY happy you guys went, despite all the crap that piled up against you, and I REALLY want one or all of you to start rockin' me in Brawl.

I have a secret weapon that I need to try out, though. Also, you guys need to tell me if there was anything cool with ZSS goin' down over thar.

As for camping you guys... sorry. I'm the weirdo who plays an agressive, fast, techincal olimar.... >.> and I only camp in certain match-ups (if it's the best strategy in other words).

~Fino
lololololololol

A wall infinite is allowed at all my tournaments. Honestly, if you get caught in one, you probably deserved it.

This is pretty much what people need to keep feeling.

---

Who would support switching out PS1 for Lylat Cruise? I honestly feel that even that level is more neutral than Halberd. That and PS1 edges are TOO gimmicky. D:

Fluxus

Smash Cadet
I have alot to say, but I'm not gonna say it because I am too lazy. Instead I will say I am excited for EVO and Supercon.

Also, halberd is nowhere near neutral.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Halberd is one my fave stages for some dumb reason.

It's KIND OF neutral, but without music that has turned to white noise.

DancingFighterG

Smash Ace
Yo, this is DancingFighterG. The $500 bonus is just for singles!!

Couple of Reminders:

-Pre-registration closes Monday July 20, 2009 so make sure you pre-register to save some money and to get a goodie bag: http://www.nvgasupercon.com/registerinfo.php

-Check out all the news about the SuperCon here: http://www.nvgasupercon.com/news.php

-We will be having a dedicated livefeed for Smash compliments of Dookdiggity

Fino

Smash Master
Nah, the $500 is for the pot. I know, sad and all, but look at the bright side! You don't have to worry about not getting $500 cuz u suk.
Do I hear a MM?

Also I can't stress this enough....
CAN ANYONE HOUSE US?!?
I say it again only because it seems I'm getting ignored on this issue. If we can't get some housing, we're probably not going to be able to make it. The hotel is too expensive on top of travel costs, a $20 venue fee and the entrance fee.

~Fino

Top Bottom