• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, more f'ing smash? What's the matter steve?!

Also, MK and Cap'n Falcon are the best team ever, solely for combining their taunts.
"Show me your-" "Come!"

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Sorry, didn't realize we were on the no-i-dont-play-smash-anymore-boards, though i should have known seeing ferdi post around here.

EDIT: Im also looking at the other states trying to get some semblance of a decent ruleset.

Cause we have no set one right now, and the one up in the CO smashers page on AiB is crap.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
XD
Sorry Steve, I just looked at my phone and saw that I missed 7 calls.

Anyhow, Tim proved that Pirate Ship should be banned in every tournament thanks to his Ness. No more!

*Edit*
Only 1/7 were from steve. I should probably choose my wording more carefully.

Sleep time!

*Edit 2*
I got bored and made this at Icanhascheezburger.com
May I remind you that this was a failed attempt in advance. I just can't fall a seep.

I was gonna use sheik tilting him, but I didn't feel like taking the time to get the img.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Its a **** good thing that pic doesn't have my name in it lol.

But yes, we should smash tomorrow. Hopefully Ill get the rules I think we should play with tonight up before I pass out and start some serious keyboard drool.

**EDIT**

Ok I have a suggestion for rules. After looking nearly every major tourny thats gone on in this country in the past 2 months I have come up with this version of "Standard CO Rules"

-- Best 2/3 (Finals 3/5)
-- 3 stock
-- 7:00 Time Limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage.
-- Double Elimination (Unless entrants exceed 64, in which we WILL do pools to bracket)
-- First Stage is either agreed upon or random (Neutrals) after the initial selection of characters.
-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-- Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be picked twice if the choosing player has already won on that stage.
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters.
-- Double Blind Character pick may be called at the beginning of every set.
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life Stealing allowed
-- Items OFF
-- Final Smashes OFF

Stages

Neutral:
Final D
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's (Brawl)

Counter:
Delfino
Lylat
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon (Melee)
Corneria
Luigi's Mansion
Brinstar
Pictochat
Castle Siege
Green Greens
Jungle Japes
Pokemon (Brawl)

Let me know what you think, we really do need to standardize this **** though, cant have a diff set for each tourny, that just gets confusing.

Seriously, comment on this, I dont want to be the only one saying these things lol.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Why oh why is Yoshi's Story ever considered neutral by anyone?! I'd rather have Lylat as a neutral before that thing. Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned. And why haven't anyone counterpicked with Castle Siege yet? It does kinda suck as a stage in general though.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
What's a matter Steve?

Yeah... we do need to standardise this. Ok for first order of bizniss. Let' define neutrals:

I vote that we go for the 3 (no yoshi)

Here are the Colorado rules:

-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.

Characters: All allowed
Stock: 3
Time: 7 mins
Items: Off (and frequency off)
Pause: Off
Team Attack: On
Ties: Stocks then percentage
Matches: 2 out of 3
Finals: 3 out of 5 (both winners and losers)
First Stage: either agreed upon or random (Neutrals) after the initial selection of characters.

Stage Strike:
Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.

Dave's Stupid Rule:
Stage cannot be selected if you've won on it during that set
however if both players agree they may return to that stage.

Slob Picks:
The loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then
the winner may change characters, and then the loser may change
characters.

Neutral Stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counter picks:
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

* Sudden death will ONLY be played if it was cause by a suicide (both are KOed), else the winner is the one with the lowest percentage.

* Tactics like Sonic's infinite stall under the stage, indefinite
stalling with rising pound, or any other such methods, will be banned.
After the first use, the player must lose a stock, Second, they forfeit
the match. ,Third, they forfeit the set.

I think we can all agree to this plus some more counter picks. We can do this by prosses of elemination.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Move to the locations, then put the reason why.
* = set in stone

Neutrals:
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*Smashville

Counters:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (There are random events like platforms and shyguys)
Lylat Cruise (it moves and has wonky edges)
Delfino Plaza (eventhough it has some walkoffs, it's not campy nor cheap with throws due to water)
Frigate Orpheon (could almost be neutral if it wasn't for the flip)
Battleship Halberd (Level effects are easy to avoid and overall it's solid)
Rainbow Cruise (Hella fun, end of story)
Brinstar (The acid really doesn't change much. I guess it can stop cheap KOs)
Pokémon Stadium (The better of the two, if it didn't change it would be the more neutural level around)

Banned:
Castle Siege
Mario Circuit
The Bridge of Eldin
The Pirate Ship
Norfair
Luigi's Mansion
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare
Distant Planet
Skyworld
PictoChat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Onett
Corneria
Green Greens
Big Blue

NO WAY IN HELL:
*Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
*New Pork City
The Summit
*75m
*Mario Bros.
*Flat Zone 2
*Shadow Moses Island

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Neutral: FD, BF, Smashville.
CP: Yoshi's story, Lylat, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Halberd, Castle Siege, Corneria, Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Stadium 1, Brinstar, Pictochat (I'm on the fence on this one after Steve's horror story with getting stuck behind the spikes), Delfino, Luigi's Mansion

And fine, we'll kill my favorite stage, I hope you're all happy.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Imma jack Steve's and Kaze's posts, and bold anything I change, I suppose.

Its a **** good thing that pic doesn't have my name in it lol.

But yes, we should smash tomorrow. Hopefully Ill get the rules I think we should play with tonight up before I pass out and start some serious keyboard drool.

**EDIT**

Ok I have a suggestion for rules. After looking nearly every major tourny thats gone on in this country in the past 2 months I have come up with this version of "Standard CO Rules"

-- Best 2/3 (Finals 3/5)
-- 3 stock
-- 8:00 Time Limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage.
-- Double Elimination (Unless entrants meet or exceed 64, in which we WILL do pools to bracket)
-- First Stage is either agreed upon or random (Neutrals) after the initial selection of characters.
-- Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be picked twice if the choosing player has already won on that stage, unless both sides agree to return to said stage.
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters.
-- Double Blind Character pick may be called at the beginning of every set.
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life Stealing allowed
-- Items OFF
-- Final Smashes OFF

Stages

* = set in stone

Neutrals:
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) - Moved to neutral.

While the platforms appearing is a bit of a nuisance, the shyguys are easy as hell to see coming. Most states are using this stage as a neutral (or, most good states), so CO needs to have a lot of experience on this stage if we don't want to lose because we can't adapt properly. If you contend that this stage requires no adaptation, then you're agreeing with me on it being a neutral, since that is practically the definition.

DL64, FoD, and YS were all part of the random neutral sets in SSBM, and they all had random occurrences that may or may not have been completely avoidable. While using said elements may have benefitted the players, it was never game-breaking enough to move to CP.

Counters:

Lylat Cruise

The stage tilting messes with a lot of character recoveries, and the platform spacing actually allows for some pretty mean zoning games.

Delfino Plaza

I'd love for this to be a neutral, but I acknowledge it as essentially being Mute City, and thus, CP. Helps characters with multiple jumps/CGs/spikes waaaaaaay more than it does other characters, so yeah. D:

Frigate Orpheon

I agree with Kaze on this. That and the ledges make it bad times for tether characters.

Battleship Halberd

Super super SUPER easy to zone, due to the slopes. Super low ceiling=REALLY early deaths. Essentially, if Olimar were to get this stage against most the cast as a random stage, it could very well grant him the set.

Rainbow Cruise

We know this stage too well.

Brinstar

See above.

Pokémon Stadium

Bad edges, windmill of gay, and a few other oddities for this stage prevent it from being neutral. Still, if you're a masochist, feel free to CP it.

Castle Siege

There haven't been any game-breaking strategies on this stage as of yet. If DDD takes you here, get on a platform, and you won't be CGed to death. Simple as that, really. Avoiding it during stage changes could be problematic, but, for now, I think it's fine. Pre-emptive bans can be kinda silly, as can banning a stage just because we're meh on it.

The Pirate Ship

Ness is death on this stage, but, as Ferdi demonstrated (mainly in teams), there ARE ways to beat him here. GaW, possibly Marf or Charizarb, etc. Sorry to give out tips on how to beat Ness here, Tim, but I figured doing that is better than banning it.

If you're unable to play any of the characters that can shut down his camp, then you're always free to strike the stage. Winning on this stage isn't as easy as Tim makes it seem, as is evidenced by my crappy Ness losing to Yang's crappier GaW. If you get hit by the cannon balls, it's completely your own fault, seriously.

Luigi's Mansion

I've always kinda wanted to ban this stage; but, fact is, most states allow this as a CP. Colorado should never be caught unawares, and common strategies on this stage can be countered with one fell swoop.

Destroy the pillars, and there you go, you now have FD with MUCH bigger blast zones. The camping factor is almost gone, and you can now proceed to make sweet tender love to all those jab-lockers. Also, you can tech before they can do most of this stuff if you're not caught unawares.

Jungle Japes

I don't really see any reason to ban this stage. Not gonna bother arguing it unless someone has a serious problem with it.

Corneria

We know the drill here, folks.

Green Greens

VERY valuable CP for a few characters, and I don't really think it should be banned.

Big Blue

Best stage ever. Seriously, have you heard the music here?

Nah, I'm kidding. I just wanted to see who actually reads my posts.

Pictochat

We need to discuss this one more thoroughly, I dunno.

Banned:

Mario Circuit
The Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare
Distant Planet
Skyworld
PictoChat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett

NO WAY IN HELL:

I agree on every single one of these.

*Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
*New Pork City
The Summit
*75m
*Mario Bros.
*Flat Zone 2
*Shadow Moses Island

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Also, anyone who is going to azonetwostep, you'll want to practice with the following neutrals: BF, FD, Smashville, Lylat, Yoshi's. They don't have CP stages listed that I saw, so...dunno what'll happen with that. Hopefully there's a pirate ship waiting for me.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
Jungle Japes shouldn't be banned. Klap Trap the std machine isn't bad.

Though I do want Pirate ship to be banned! >:@

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Okay guys, to recap, here's my stage list. If you disagree with it, please give reasons as to why.

Keep in mind, I want to ban Pictochat, but I'm not going to suggest it unless everyone else agrees.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counters:

Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium
Castle Siege
The Pirate Ship
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Green Greens
Pictochat

Banned:

Big Blue
Mario Circuit
The Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare
Distant Planet
Skyworld
PictoChat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
New Pork City
The Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys, to recap, here's my stage list. If you disagree with it, please give reasons as to why.

Keep in mind, I want to ban Pictochat, but I'm not going to suggest it unless everyone else agrees.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counters:

Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium
Castle Siege
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Green Greens
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat
The Pirate Ship
PictoChat

Banned:

Big Blue
Mario Circuit
The Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
New Pork City
The Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island
That's my opinion right there. Everyone has a stage ban to utilize, or they should, so ban pirate ship against tim. PS2 is annoying, but I don't see reason for banning it. I say if the character roster is broken, the stage list should also be a little broken.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I want PS2 to stay banned because 3 of the modes it goes into completely detract from the actual fight. If only earth mode were selectable, then I would be all for allowing it. However, low grav, ice, and the treadmills all completely detract from actually playing the game. If we're going to unban that, then we should also unban Port Town and Distant Planet.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice

Stages

* = set in stone

Neutrals:
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise - Can go either way... we should practice more. I say we just roll with this for now.

Counters:

*Delfino Plaza
*Frigate Orpheon
*Battleship Halberd
*Rainbow Cruise
*Brinstar
*Pokémon Stadium
*Jungle Japes
*Corneria
*Green Greens
Castle Siege (we should really test this one so I vote yes)
The Pirate Ship I vote we keep it and all get good at GW
Luigi's Mansion I'm thinking we need to keep this too since people will play it.
Pictochat Any takere?

Banned:
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Skyworld
Port Town Aero Dive
Distant Planet
*Big Blue
*Mario Circuit
*The Bridge of Eldin
*Norfair
*WarioWare
*Hanenbow
*Temple
*Yoshi's Island (Melee)
*Onett

NO WAY IN HELL:

*Rumble Falls
*Mushroomy Kingdom
*Spear Pillar
*New Pork City
*The Summit
*75m
*Mario Bros.
*Flat Zone 2
*Shadow Moses Island[/QUOTE]

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice

Stages

* = set in stone

Neutrals:
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) - Moved to neutral.
Lylat Cruise - Same reason as Yoshi, people do play with it elsewhere, therefore we must be leet at all 5.

Counters:

*Delfino Plaza
*Frigate Orpheon
*Battleship Halberd
*Rainbow Cruise
*Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium
Castle Siege (we should really test this one)
The Pirate Ship (how many others play this? If less than 50%, we should drop it)
Luigi's Mansion (how many others play this? If less than 50%, we should drop it)
Jungle Japes Eh... People like eggz abuses the crap outa this and green greens. Quite campy.
Corneria
We know the drill here, folks.
(I don't, I'm a noob :confused:)
Green Greens
Eh... People like eggz abuses the crap outa this and green greens. Quite campy.
Big Blue - I vote no on Big Blue
Pictochat (how many others play this? If less than 50%, we should drop it)
I'm thinking no

Banned:
Green Hill Zone - does anyone play this?
Pokémon Stadium 2
Skyworld - does anyone play this?
Port Town Aero Dive
Distant Planet - does anyone play this?
*Mario Circuit
*The Bridge of Eldin
*Norfair
*WarioWare
*Hanenbow
*Temple
*Yoshi's Island (Melee)
*Onett

NO WAY IN HELL:

*Rumble Falls
*Mushroomy Kingdom
*Spear Pillar
*New Pork City
*The Summit
*75m
*Mario Bros.
*Flat Zone 2
*Shadow Moses Island
[/QUOTE]

Again, everyone gets a free stage ban, big blue was a joke of Tony's.

I still think PS2 is fine.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I don't think Lylat should be Neutral. We can practice it, but I don't think we should do it for tournaments. It really REALLY does mess with a lot of character's recoveries, and allows characters like Sonic and MK some very easy gimps.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
as an aside to this silly stage discussion, someone other than nite should get online and play me. I'm lonely. Don't make me pull out the hamster eyes.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Nite won't play me because he gets owned. D:

You should actually come to our smashfests. You live in Denver, you should be smashing with Tim, Steve, and me on a regular basis.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
If I can get a B average I'll be constantly driving over to smashfests to play. and when one ends, I'll just drive to another one, only stopping to eat and sleep. I'll have no home, nor any need for one. I'll travel tous les temps.

Seriously though, I'll come to some this summer after this last week of cramming for finals. All I need to do is ace my econ final and I'll have a car. Otherwise mom and Pop can't afford the insurance, yogi.

Lol intermin, nite won't play me 'cause I always get owned D:

It's fun to stare at each other when we're the only ones online though

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
****, I must have been good a WAY long time ago then, cus i've been fat ever since I got out of elementary school haha.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
If I can get a B average I'll be constantly driving over to smashfests to play. and when one ends, I'll just drive to another one, only stopping to eat and sleep. I'll have no home, nor any need for one. I'll travel tous les temps.

Seriously though, I'll come to some this summer after this last week of cramming for finals. All I need to do is ace my econ final and I'll have a car. Otherwise mom and Pop can't afford the insurance, yogi.

Lol intermin, nite won't play me 'cause I always get owned D:

It's fun to stare at each other when we're the only ones online though
It's hard to believe I've never seen you in real life. You should post your pikatchure.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
We are getting close.

Stages

* = set in stone

Neutrals:
*Battlefield
*Final Destination
*Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise - Can go either way... we should practice more. I say we just roll with this for now.

Counters:

*Delfino Plaza
*Frigate Orpheon
*Battleship Halberd
*Rainbow Cruise
*Brinstar
*Pokémon Stadium
*Jungle Japes
*Corneria
*Green Greens
Castle Siege (we should really test this one so I vote yes)
The Pirate Ship I vote we keep it and all get good at GW
Luigi's Mansion I'm thinking we need to keep this too since people will play it.
Pictochat Any takers?

Banned:
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Skyworld
Port Town Aero Dive
Distant Planet
*Big Blue
*Mario Circuit
*The Bridge of Eldin
*Norfair
*WarioWare
*Hanenbow
*Temple
*Yoshi's Island (Melee)
*Onett

NO WAY IN HELL:

*Rumble Falls
*Mushroomy Kingdom
*Spear Pillar
*New Pork City
*The Summit
*75m
*Mario Bros.
*Flat Zone 2
*Shadow Moses Island[/QUOTE]

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
Norfair is banned because it's like Hanenbow in terms of camping.

*edit*
Plus, you bums should've gone to Mike's with us if you wanted to smash.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I will defend Pirate Ship and Luigi's DESTRUCTIBLE Mansion as CP to the end of days.

Also, Kenny is still alive. I'm as surprised as you!

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
From the fourms on the con where I got 2nd in Brawl.
AniMazement Board Guy said:
Brawl was hype all weekend *Top 8'd with snake, glad the snake ditto I lost won the thing*!
*Top 8'd with snake, glad the snake ditto I lost won the thing*!
*Top 8'd with snake, glad the snake ditto I lost won the thing*!
I guess East Coast hasn't found out that picking Snake is almost like using a god**** Gameshark. Gonna make me sad if I have to learn how to fight fire with fire. :laugh: Oh well, **** East Coast! COLORADO, LEZ GO!

Top Bottom