• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collection Room: Sonic Video Archive & Critique

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Final set of matches trying to learn this hedgehog!
Looks to me like you're off to a good start. I'm about on your level, but I think I can still pass some wisdom along.

One of Sonic's big weaknesses is his follow-up game. It's...nonexistent, to put it politely. Racking up big damage in a short time requires pressuring your opponent with aggression and mindgames, then punishing when they make a mistake. This is probably the biggest hurdle for jumping into high-level play no matter which character you choose, but it's especially important for Sonic.

What I'm getting at is, you don't really have a pressure game yet. This, I feel, is why you find Zelda annoying to fight, even though she's supposedly one of the worst characters in the game. (Protip: never sleep on anyone. I got rekt by an FG Lucina about a week ago.) This isn't a big deal for you yet since you're still winning matches, but practice and experimentation will show you how to apply pressure against different characters and playstyles, which should lead to winning more consistently.

I posted a few of my FG replays on the last page of this thread, so check those out if you want some slightly-advanced Sonic play samples. And if you're down for some 1-on-1, feel free to send me a friend request!

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Looks to me like you're off to a good start. I'm about on your level, but I think I can still pass some wisdom along.

One of Sonic's big weaknesses is his follow-up game. It's...nonexistent, to put it politely. Racking up big damage in a short time requires pressuring your opponent with aggression and mindgames, then punishing when they make a mistake. This is probably the biggest hurdle for jumping into high-level play no matter which character you choose, but it's especially important for Sonic.

What I'm getting at is, you don't really have a pressure game yet. This, I feel, is why you find Zelda annoying to fight, even though she's supposedly one of the worst characters in the game. (Protip: never sleep on anyone. I got rekt by an FG Lucina about a week ago.) This isn't a big deal for you yet since you're still winning matches, but practice and experimentation will show you how to apply pressure against different characters and playstyles, which should lead to winning more consistently.

I posted a few of my FG replays on the last page of this thread, so check those out if you want some slightly-advanced Sonic play samples. And if you're down for some 1-on-1, feel free to send me a friend request!
Thanks for the tips! Its appreciated. i dont think I would main Sonic, I play sonic because I think he is the most annoying to fight, so what way to learn sonic than to use him. I think the spin dash can lead to follow ups somewhat. Like spin dash into up air for example then spin dash, but it can be inconsistant so what your saying makes alot of sense.

I just sent you a friend request, would love to play you one day! If you want to follow my YT channel i could post our matches up there. I usually post 1v1s with my subs or anyone who wants to play!

Also on the top of Sonic. Do you know the differences between the spin dashes? I find the side b a more combo heavy dash and the down b more for speed and harassment. Share your spin dash knowledge

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Do you know the differences between the spin dashes? I find the side b a more combo heavy dash and the down b more for speed and harassment. Share your spin dash knowledge
Sure thing! Firstly, we call the side-b Spin Dash (SD) and the down-b Spin Charge (SC) to differentiate them. The SD roll is a strong single-hit move, and the SC roll is a weak multi-hit move. They're both decent approach tools, but just about any projectile will shut them down instantly, especially Sheik's needles.

You can tell which spin Sonic is using by the sound it makes while charging. SD sounds like a single long whir, while SC sounds more like a revving whir. In worded-out sound effect terms, VREEEEEEEEEE means SD, while VRVRVRVRVRVR means SC.

And remember, just because Sonic is charging a spin doesn't mean he has to commit to it. He can shield out of SD (but not SC, interestingly). He can jump during the charge and he'll go straight up with an active hitbox all around him, making for a surprising anti-air move. Proper timing of button presses can also lead to fancy tricks like the spinshot.

There is, however, one truly crippling weakness with both SD and SC. It's called BSBS, which stands for either Brawl Spring Bug Stance or Bull S*** Bull S*** depending on one's mood. Basically, if Sonic uses SD or SC while in the air, then lands on the ground and continues rolling, he loses his double jump until the next time his feet touch the ground. You'll really feel it (:4shulk:) if you do an aerial SD onto the ground, jump off the stage while still rolling, and then try to jump back. Killing yourself this way is referred to as "SD from SD."

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice

For Glory match vs a Lucario. Looking at it I definitely have some bad habits (not using SDSC to block the shadowballs, overusing spinshot to recover...) but I am kind of annoyed I died at 50. Sonic has trouble killing and it seems like you absolutely need to kill Lucario early.

If anyone has any comments on my playstyle in general (I don't think I was playing particularly well here but still) or on the Lucario MU I'd love to hear it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I like in how that Pikachu match at this point, both players stalled there doing nothing for a couple of seconds.

:4sonic:".....What's up. I'm just.... hanging around."
:4pikachu:"Pikaaaaa!!!"
:4sonic:*grins*

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Not much critiquing goes on around here. Oh well XD

Spitfire&Duece(:4sonic::4ganondorf:) vs jonathan&Hans(:4myfriends::4darkpit:)

Spitfire&jonathan(:4sonic::4myfriends:) vs Duece&Hans(:4ganondorf::4marth:)

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nebulous Prime #1 [No Customs]
Winners Round 3
LoCal | Camalange ( :4sonic: ) vs G5 | Ken109 ( :4kirby: )

I don't think this guy knew how to play against Sonic all that much. Either that or I was too fast.

Small flubs here and there though. The saddest one was his last stock, game 2... We DBZ'd, I came back, ran straight towards him to make him flinch, got the spotdodge I wanted, immediately stutterstepped back and Fsmashed, but missed by a pixel... Shield didn't come up until after I flubbed so it definitely would've landed and that would've ended the game right there if I didn't mess it up.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Super Smash Con 2015, 8/6-9/2015
Kai (:4sonic:) vs. HBA | Angel Cortes (:4diddy:)
Losers

Kai, an old friend of mine who I didn't realize was active in this game, is probably one of the most underrated Sonics of all time.

He took 9th at this. Joe took 13th.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Can someone help me? I need to know what I did wrong here. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFI6cKRRHg I have a couple of problems in this MU and Need to know how to get around it it would be very much appreciated if someone could help
I'm only one minute into this match and you're already spinning far too much. Like, way too much.

Mega Man is going to shoot a lemon or throw something at you every time. Running away and charging spin every time is free damage for him. You need to pressure with running shield and OoS options more. When you do get in his face and shield, you just roll around him...

Finished the first round, and still stand by that. Once you shield and get a grab, you're in. But you're approaching the match-up poorly, in my opinion. Need to take your time and find the opening... Then you can go hard. But being zoned out, spinning is the worst option. Then he gets you up in the air and camps with Uair and fishes for airdodge punishes with Bair.

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
So please forgive me if this is in the wrong section thing, but I recently had a tournament match against a good campy sheik player. He's PR'd high in my state, I've never fought him or a good sheik before, so most things I did I made up. Therefore, I'm wasnt sure what to do, and im hoping somebody else can critique my plays. What I did wrong? What I did right? What i can do to improve? If a better sonic main than me watches this video and tells me how to improve my game, that'd be great! Thanks!

Also lol im very aware on how horribly i did in the first game, i wasn't in the right mindset at the time

Winners Round 3

Loosers Finals

Myst_R

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ellyde
So please forgive me if this is in the wrong section thing, but I recently had a tournament match against a good campy sheik player. He's PR'd high in my state, I've never fought him or a good sheik before, so most things I did I made up. Therefore, I'm wasnt sure what to do, and im hoping somebody else can critique my plays. What I did wrong? What I did right? What i can do to improve? If a better sonic main than me watches this video and tells me how to improve my game, that'd be great! Thanks!

Also lol im very aware on how horribly i did in the first game, i wasn't in the right mindset at the time
Oh man ! It is so horrible how it ends ! I am not better than you so I don't see anything you could have done better, but I look forward to see what better Sonic mains will say.

I feel your reflexes are really awesome !

Last edited:

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
I'm only one minute into this match and you're already spinning far too much. Like, way too much.

Mega Man is going to shoot a lemon or throw something at you every time. Running away and charging spin every time is free damage for him. You need to pressure with running shield and OoS options more. When you do get in his face and shield, you just roll around him...

Finished the first round, and still stand by that. Once you shield and get a grab, you're in. But you're approaching the match-up poorly, in my opinion. Need to take your time and find the opening... Then you can go hard. But being zoned out, spinning is the worst option. Then he gets you up in the air and camps with Uair and fishes for airdodge punishes with Bair.

Anything else I should do in that MU? I'm really trying my hardest to beat him because he is the only one I haven't beaten yet

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Anything else I should do in that MU? I'm really trying my hardest to beat him because he is the only one I haven't beaten yet
Basically what I said, so mostly focus more on your options of running and shield. OoS grab/tilt punishes. Don't rely on Spin so much for getting in. Don't let Sonics ground speed and movement go to waste, especially when shield is so strong in this game. Once you're in his face, you have much more room to pressure and combo him, but if you're not respecting his zoning game and keep charging spin from across the map, you're going to get hit. A lot.

I don't have a ton of experience in the Mega Man match-up, but the next time I play DarkBlues, I'll talk to him about it and share what I learn.

WrathTheHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Basically what I said, so mostly focus more on your options of running and shield. OoS grab/tilt punishes. Don't rely on Spin so much for getting in. Don't let Sonics ground speed and movement go to waste, especially when shield is so strong in this game. Once you're in his face, you have much more room to pressure and combo him, but if you're not respecting his zoning game and keep charging spin from across the map, you're going to get hit. A lot.

I don't have a ton of experience in the Mega Man match-up, but the next time I play DarkBlues, I'll talk to him about it and share what I learn.

Ok Thanks

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I accidentally timed out Wes' Mega Man the other day, so there's that.

But yeah, lemons are the most frustrating thing, outside of his throw confirms.

Really just a lot of shield, waiting, and getting close enough to Ftilt or grab for combos. Sometimes I'd eat a lemon if I was in range for a free Ftilt.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Usually ill dash just outside lemons range and wait for the interva between his jabs to approach. That or ill bait out jab and homing attack or spin shot to close distance fast. Mega man also doesn't like it when we get behind him as he is forced to turn around in order to jab us. Once you can learn to space around his jab the MU becomes much easier to handle. Although it can become very tedious

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Usually ill dash just outside lemons range and wait for the interva between his jabs to approach. That or ill bait out jab and homing attack or spin shot to close distance fast. Mega man also doesn't like it when we get behind him as he is forced to turn around in order to jab us. Once you can learn to space around his jab the MU becomes much easier to handle. Although it can become very tedious
I definitely feel this.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
2 new tourney matches here:

EUA | Biolizard :4sonic: vs Deku :4lucas:/:4luigi:

DG :4sheik: vs EUA | Biolizard :4sonic:

Lost stupidly to DG when I feel I shouldnt have. Managed to beat him in pools so my mindset was **** going into the set...

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I... I think I'm in love.

Those footstool dair spikes were glorious.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, seriously. My eyes are finally open. I have seen the light. I can see clearly now.

Myst_R

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ellyde
2 new tourney matches here:

EUA | Biolizard :4sonic: vs Deku :4lucas:/:4luigi:

DG :4sheik: vs EUA | Biolizard :4sonic:

Lost stupidly to DG when I feel I shouldnt have. Managed to beat him in pools so my mindset was **** going into the set...

I may not be better than you and I tell you this with all my humility but I feel you should never wait for your opponent with a charged smash while edgeguarding, instead, try to catch them with an aerial.

Hopefully someone better will confirm it

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I may not be better than you and I tell you this with all my humility but I feel you should never wait for your opponent with a charged smash while edgeguarding, instead, try to catch them with an aerial.

Hopefully someone better will confirm it
Its a thing I do out of habit, im trying to cut down on it, only thing is with Sheik theres really no other option except to try and get the 1 frame punish.

Top Bottom