• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

Smash Journeyman
It's a trap! Get out while you can still beat Ivysaur.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Because they can't get close to her. They would probably beat her if razor leaf could be beaten out but it can't, and it's really hard for them to deal with.

ilysm

sleepy
Makes sense. I forgot blizzard couldn't challenge it.

Another question: is there any known way to have Popo grab ledge alone indefinitely without Nana magnetizing to him? It doesn't seem to work as it did in Melee.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You guys wanted to see more of me. In grand finals of a tournament vs frizz, come watch lol. Twitch.tv/socostreams

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ended up getting 2nd in our monthly to Frizz. I felt like I did pretty well considering I haven't touched PM since Evo haha. Unfortunately only GF got recorded.

Smash Journeyman
If you want to include something from me in your combo video I'm OK with it. I don't think I've played any recorded matches since 3.5 though.

ilysm

sleepy
Brainwave: I think I've just found a way for Icies to do handoffs while on platforms. Grab with Popo, wavedash in place with Nana. Popo will dthrow due to the downwards input but Nana will WD in place to prevent her from falling through the platform. I've only tested it against Peach so far but to my knowledge there should be enough time for Nana to grab even lighter characters. Further proof for my theory that FD is not the best Icies stage in this game!

I'd like to direct this Hylian Hylian in terms of mashability but I'm stoked about this. Our grab game doesn't disappear on platforms anymore! ^_^

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Brainwave: I think I've just found a way for Icies to do handoffs while on platforms. Grab with Popo, wavedash in place with Nana. Popo will dthrow due to the downwards input but Nana will WD in place to prevent her from falling through the platform. I've only tested it against Peach so far but to my knowledge there should be enough time for Nana to grab even lighter characters. Further proof for my theory that FD is not the best Icies stage in this game!

I'd like to direct this Hylian Hylian in terms of mashability but I'm stoked about this. Our grab game doesn't disappear on platforms anymore! ^_^
you can also do this by shielding then buffering a grab. You could also just press down, getting the pressure is tricky though. it feels more sensitive than in melee imo

ilysm

sleepy
I tried both of those things, but whenever I shielded I would shield drop or spotdodge and I was never able to find the correct sensitivity, nor have I seen or heard of anyone who was able to do it (at least consistently). Has anyone been able to reliably use the shield method?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I tried both of those things, but whenever I shielded I would shield drop or spotdodge and I was never able to find the correct sensitivity, nor have I seen or heard of anyone who was able to do it (at least consistently). Has anyone been able to reliably use the shield method?
For certain characters it's very consistent, you want Nana to spotdodge, doing the spotdodge desync hitting z so she does it on the soonest frame. https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3luudj/buffered_grab_handoffs_ics_trick/

I definitely going to start labbing the the wavedash method, great find (forgot to say that earlier)

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
Eh , I kinda got bopped at the Xanadu Arcadian today, but at the same time learned some stuff. but quick question, how do we deal with Peach in PM? Had to play that MU today and I'm positive it's worse than it is in melee

ilysm

sleepy
I would say approach with side-b a bit more often and try and set up for early up-b kills. Other than that it still seems pretty atrocious.

Upon further review this is a bad plan, and I've never been punished by a competent Peach main before.

Last edited:

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Approaching with Side B just calls for a CC downsmash espscially if that peach player knows the M.U.

I play Vanz literally every week. Thats the only reason why i'm not winning my weekly :(

You have to be paitent af and stay synced or use desync blizzards. Idk man, been practicing snake just cuz I hate peach ics.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Sorry, forgot to specify side-b while she's floating. It's worked for me now and then at least as an answer to float back -> whatever but then again I never play against any notable players, and certainly no Peaches that know how to abuse the matchup and I'm not very good at this character and it's better to defer to Phresh on pretty much everything.

1Flow 1Flow I really appreciate the offer but I haven't really done anything good yet. Jury's still out. ^_^

Edit: Reading this back, it all sounds very sarcastic. I promise it isn't.

Last edited:

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Sorry, forgot to specify side-b while she's floating. It's worked for me now and then at least as an answer to float back -> whatever but then again I never play against any notable players, and certainly no Peaches that know how to abuse the matchup and I'm not very good at this character and it's better to defer to Phresh on pretty much everything.

1Flow 1Flow I really appreciate the offer but I haven't really done anything good yet. Jury's still out. ^_^

Edit: Reading this back, it all sounds very sarcastic. I promise it isn't.
XD i dint take it sarcastically lolz and if that changes just let me know and id love to add you in brotha!:)

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Approaching with Side B just calls for a CC downsmash espscially if that peach player knows the M.U.

I play Vanz literally every week. Thats the only reason why i'm not winning my weekly :(

You have to be paitent af and stay synced or use desync blizzards. Idk man, been practicing snake just cuz I hate peach ics.
Thats so werid because i secondary snake rofl! if you nweed any ppointers just lemme know!

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
I would say approach with side-b a bit more often and try and set up for early up-b kills. Other than that it still seems pretty atrocious.

Upon further review this is a bad plan, and I've never been punished by a competent Peach main before.
actually tried this once or twice and then because the punish was so bad...I stopped. I found that nair actually wasn't terrible, neither was just blizzard wall/ice blocks, but that MU was just rough (...got double eliminated by a peach player in Melee too RIP)

Only positive of that set, besides that game 1 was close, was I did get an Up-B kill.

Also considering getting my Luigi back into shape just because that MU is so awful. I did lose to an Ivy too due to me choking (game 1 was last stock/last hit, won game 2, game 3 nearly got 4 stocked, maybe Distant Planet's worth banning versus Ivysaur, not sure). But while I think the Ivysaur MU is doable, Peach is actually making me consider getting a secondary again.

ilysm

sleepy
I already have a competent Ness and Lucas, who do alright and pretty well against Peach respectively, so I should be alright if it comes to that. But these reports don't sound good.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have experience against good Kirbys? I got destroyed today. I didn't feel like any midstage grab followups were working, even with mixups.

ilysm

sleepy
I don't know if anyone has much Kirby experience. From what I can gather he's a fairly underrepped character. If I had to guess I'd say Phresh123 Phresh123 is the most likely of us to have some experience from Little Turtle at HSS (sorry dude this is the second time I've tagged you in like two days)?

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
It's all good bro! Actually like the Kirby MU i think we win.

Just don't leave Nana open Kirby will **** her. Desync blizzards keeps Kirby away. Forces him to stay in the air. Up airs work well also. Just desync blizzard lol that MU is light. Kirby can't follow up so much with both of them together. Do not let Kirby camp clearly dont pick stages with platforms he can abuse. I mean its a boring MU but its really light: 60/40

D

Deleted member

I still think it's lame that Blizzard doesn't freeze opponents in this game. Kinda undermines one of the Icies' more reliable offensive options (in Brawl especially).

Last edited by a moderator:

ilysm

sleepy
IIRC they do freeze opponents, but only at stupidly high percentages. I like it that way because it can be easier to get a read on DI and follow up; trying to predict where an opponent goes once they've mashed out of an ice cube feels a lot more difficult to me. That could just be personal preference tho

Last edited:

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Soooooo..... that's a no on Kirby advice then?
Watch for bairs. They seperate the icies very easily. Also cheap kirbies do a chudat and will suck you off stage and edge guard you. i believe that the matchup is 40/60 in kirby's favor but i persoanlly find it easy to changebrag kirby. also, would you like to be in my ices pm combo video?

Smash Journeyman
I definitely don't think it's in Kirby's favor. He can't really do much if ICs just wall Him out with blizzard. Like Phresh said, it's pretty boring since neither character can approach the other very well (which is how I've been feeling about a lot of MUs lately), but it's probably in ICs favor.

Last edited:

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
I definitely don't think it's in Kirby's favor. He can't really do much if ICs just wall Him out with blizzard. Like Phresh said, it's pretty boring since neither character can approach the other very well (which is how I've been feeling about a lot of MUs lately), but it's probably in ICs favor.
Its in the eye of the beholder i guess. I always stuggled with it persoanlly. maybe its just my play style...? I play defensively with all chartacters in all games lolz

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
So be more reliant on blizzards, and be more patient. I know I want to approach too much, that was likely a huge aspect of that match.

also, would you like to be in my ices pm combo video?
When I have some good footage I'd love to, but I don't have anything right now. We rarely record PM in my state other than my tournaments, but I don't enter events when I TO.

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
So be more reliant on blizzards, and be more patient. I know I want to approach too much, that was likely a huge aspect of that match.

When I have some good footage I'd love to, but I don't have anything right now. We rarely record PM in my state other than my tournaments, but I don't enter events when I TO.
kk coolio lemme know if yo do. its still in its beginning stages becuase ive been so busy with work.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Top Bottom