• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

So... I get to play a character from a game I beat a billion times in my childhood in a game that I have played for a billion hours!? I must be in heaven, Nintendo or not who cares! We have fricking Cloud! CLOUD HYPE

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!
There's a lot of salt coming from the community over Cloud's reveal, but even if I didn't get my Final Fantasy picks for this, I'm still really hyped.
You know what? What if Tifa was revealed instead? I mean like the only female fist-based Smasher other than a Mii Fighter. Oh well, I'd never thought I'd see the day...

Tiki in Smash 4? It can happen. Sakurai sometimes makes unexpected choices. And Tiki is unique, so who knows ...
I just don't think that two Fire Emblem characters will be added as DLC. There are other series that aren't represented, veterans that deserve to be brought back, et cetera before we start doubling up on series. The post you linked brings up a diverse roster, which is why I think that another series should get a chance in the spotlight. Tiki could be a cool addition, don't get me wrong, but there's only so much DLC to go around. Sakurai did say he'd only add "several" (more than two, but not many) new fighters in an interview.

I just don't think that two Fire Emblem characters will be added as DLC. There are other series that aren't represented, veterans that deserve to be brought back, et cetera before we start doubling up on series. The post you linked brings up a diverse roster, which is why I think that another series should get a chance in the spotlight. Tiki could be a cool addition, don't get me wrong, but there's only so much DLC to go around. Sakurai did say he'd only add "several" (more than two, but not many) new fighters in an interview.
But... Hope will never die!

Well that's unexpected.
Not sure how I feel about it. I feel like there were better Nintendo choices but I'm not upset at all.
Idk he just doesn't seem like he would fit all that well.
Tbh all the humans in smash are anime in some way or another in art style. I don't have a problem with character with an anime art-style being in a japanese game. Its just one of the main art styles down there.

Edit: I somehow quoted the wrong Post sorry about that mate.

Last edited:
Omnislash is Cloud's signature move, and his strongest. To not have it present as the Final Smash would be a crime.
Tell that to the Ness and Lucas players, whose final smashes are moves neither character uses in their respective games ;)

I'm just over here wondering if knights of the round will make an appearance as a stage summon

I'll honestly be happy with whatever characters they add. I have a preference for first party, but I don't think a character add could annoy me. I just want as many as possible.

Everyone is upset about cloud saying other characters from the ballot deserve to be in smash more, but looking at how complete his animations (and presumably hitboxes) are, he is probably pre-ballot because making a character as complete as that in just over a month is unlikely

I see alot of love and hate for this character.
since I havent played FF7 or any game from FF from that matter, I am excited to see what cloud can actually bring to the game!
also, I know that Square Enix are the makers of FF series and at the end of the trailer, we can see they get added in the "production/credit list" at the bottom so they must have done something like the moveset, animation etc and not only credited for "it being cloud".

but dont forget, this is a huge step and it can lead into more huge things! maybe now that Cloud is in Smash, maybe we will get FF7 Remastered/HD on WiiU/NX

but dont forget, this is a huge step and it can lead into more huge things! maybe now that Cloud is in Smash, maybe we will get FF7 Remastered/HD on WiiU/NX
Pretty sure if it does come to a Nintendo console it will be NX, which would be much better since it would suck to have a scaled down version of the remake.

Hmm, just some interesting things to note. He's got Shulk's exact Jab Combo, no animation changes. He's also got Shulk''s Back Air and Down air and Marth's forward air, and I think I saw a dancing blade in there. Oh, and while Omnislash may be his signature attack, it still shares the animation with Ike's with a large explosion on the end. He's a clone, guys. He's just a bit more disguised because he's a clone of several characters instead of one, with some unique special moves.

I love the choice of character, I'm just iffy about most of his swordplay appearing to be borrowed from other sword fighters. Not sure how his Limit Break works, but if it's just a power boost after a meter fills, it might as well be Little Mac with a sword. The trailer doesn't show off clearly what his unique contributions to the cast are. I'll have to wait to play as him before I decide if I love the addition or not.

Last edited:
who entered cloud in the smash ballot?I have no idea who he is i never played final fantasy before so he is a complete random character to me.I guess nintendo just added random characters into smash bros. instead of characters we want.Instead of making the characters we want in smash they make them into a costume for mii players which i find really dumb.They added Lucina into smash instead of making her a mii character but she is a clone of Marth.Instead of making a costume for dark Pit they made him a clone of Pit.GIVE US WHAT WE REALLY WANT NINTENDO JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who entered cloud in the smash ballot?I have no idea who he is i never played final fantasy before so he is a complete random character to me.I guess nintendo just added random characters into smash bros. instead of characters we want.Instead of making the characters we want in smash they make them into a costume for mii players which i find really dumb.They added Lucina into smash instead of making her a mii character but she is a clone of Marth.Instead of making a costume for dark Pit they made him a clone of Pit.GIVE US WHAT WE REALLY WANT NINTENDO JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow.

Hmm, just some interesting things to note. He's got Shulk's exact Jab Combo, no animation changes. He's also got Shulk''s Back Air and Down air and Marth's forward air, and I think I saw a dancing blade in there. Oh, and while Omnislash may be his signature attack, it still shares the animation with Ike's with a large explosion on the end. He's a clone, guys. He's just a bit more disguised because he's a clone of several characters instead of one, with some unique special moves.
His jab combo is unique and his fair bair and dair are more like ikes. He doesn't really have any moves like shulks

I'm not a fan of Cloud but one of my friends is, and I'm happy that he was chose over many other very requested but least interesting characters.
The fact that his gameplay is partially based on Ike bugs me a bit anyway, but the materia summoning thing seems interesting... or it's just a character with many final smashes?
Surely he's a very iconic character, and despite being a semiclone, he deserves the spot (and well, the Square Enix + Smash thing makes Geno very likely!)
The summons are pretty clearly stage hazards on Midgar. Cloud's gimmick is the limit break thing.

As I said to someone else, I completely spaced on Link.
But I don't consider Pit and Pittoo when people say swordsmen.
They got more range then Roy and MK lolol.

I was literally speechless when this showed up on the direct. My friends were going crazy but I just couldn't say anything. I'm still lost for words.

I loved FF7 back in the day. Beat that game several times. But I'm not too big on this choice, simply because we already have SOOOO many sword characters in the game. We do not need another one, I'd like to have seen a more unique character with potential to bring something different to smash. Clould has a long sword disjoint so they're going to have to make him slow and/or laggy to balance him. So I don't know how they'll differentiate him from Shulk and Ike. The promo video he looked like he'll play very similar to those characters.
To everyone complaining about swordsmen, stop. How many of you even main swordsmen? I main Ness and also use Yoshi, PIKA, DK. Cloud is a confirmed main for me from the moment he maxed his Limit gauge. Some of us weren't as hyped for Ryu, and didn't care for shovel knight. Some of us really needed this W. Cloud is winning this year.

Top Bottom