• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

I still can't believe this is real. I keep watching it trying to convince myself that it's actually happening, but it's like I'm in a dream world created by my best friend 15 years ago.

you know, something else occurred to me... did anyone else find it hilarious in hindsight how Omni's latest Top 5 Smash Shorts happens to have the boss track for FFVII as the BGM of choice? keep in mind that that video was BEFORE we got the Cloud announcement.

Last edited:
Looks like Nintendo finally has... Cloud support.

Preteens from Newgrounds in 2006 were right all along.

I think Nintendo knew a storm would brew after this reveal.

I can do this all day lol. But in all seriousness, I'm actually excited. Smash is like a bunch of kids playing with their favorite toys, and Cloud is like that one kid who brings a Megazord on Transformers day. Does it make sense? Not entirely, but it's awesome and everyone still has fun. Lighten up, haters.

I'm scared that the female Link will be in Smash Bros. if she gets in and not wolf I will riot.
Scared? I just learned about her existence and I want her to be an optional playable alternative to Link in every Zelda game henceforth!

Happy about Cloud getting in, but I just really wanted to know who the ballot winners were, and now I have to wait another Month to find out. bleeeeeeeeeh

Don't understand why people are bitter about him getting in though, he isn't a ballot character by the looks of it since very few people voted for him in the ballot because of his seemingly low chances.

Just chill, we'll get to see who our ballot pick will be, and Cloud had nothing to do with diminishing their chances.

It seems almost insulting to those who have been begging for a character like Geno or Chrono to appear in a Smash game since Brawl. You know, someone who is familiar with a Nintendo console.

**** this character. Man. (I will gladly take my infraction now)

This is pretty significant because some of you guys might not be old enough to remember that Final Fantasy VII was originally developed as an N64 game before Square Enix changed over to the PS1 instead. Hiroshi Yamauchi (the Nintendo president before Iwata) saw this as a huge betrayal and swore that Nintendo would never work with Square Enix again. They say time heals all wounds and eventually Nintendo and Square Enix patched things up but with Final Fantasy having a noticeable absence on Nintendo consoles. Perhaps this is just things coming full circle.
This.
Cloud represents one of the most significant games (FFVII) IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES. Know your history, kids.
And also, the hardcore FF fans let SF fans celebrate Ryu. shut up and let us have our moment, doggone it.

This.
Cloud represents one of the most significant games (FFVII) IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES. Know your history, kids.
And also, the hardcore FF fans let SF fans celebrate Ryu. shut up and let us have our moment, doggone it.
As a hardcore FF fan I almost cried of joy yesterday. So much nostalgia. I mean; Characters you've played as a child are brought to games you are playing now. So much love for this announcement.

It's cool SE got a character in, not a fan of Cloud and his moveset looks very lazy, wish it was Sora or Black Mage, and not another anime sword guy. I would have even preferred Geno and I'm not a fan of him either.

Last edited:
I personally would have preferred Sephiroth, but I guess it'd be tough to balance a character with a males attack that has a longer reach than some ranged attacks...

I feel sick. Why Cloud when there are PLENTY of more deserving and requested characters? They really muked up this time. I assume he'll come out in December. We have to be getting more.
I agree with you completly cause one i don't know who he is and two i don't remember ANYONE ever wanting this person in smash bros.

Didn't see that one coming. My d!ck was harder than a diamond when I saw Final Fantasy VII.

It seems most of the people here are just like; "hurr durr, the character i wanted isnt here, this character is **** even tho is one of the most iconic videogame character of one of the most iconic videogame franchise hurr durr"

This.
Which is exactly the point. I do think FFVII is grossly overrated and that it's aged about as well as a bag of potatoes in a puddle of water but, historically speaking in the context of video games, it was a huge freakin' deal. It's run away success was the main reason why Nintendo was originally so resentful of Square Enix and, kind of like the old SEGA/Nintendo rivalry, you had to have been alive at the time to really understand the significance of this. FFVII was the game that pretty much put Sony on the map as a major competitor to Nintendo and did it in a way that blew the N64 out of the water. This was the game that pretty showed why CDs were the future and cartridges (a medium that the industry had mostly used for 25 years at the time) were obsolete.

N64 simply didn't have the power to produce the cinematic cutscenes that the PS1 could and this turned a lot of heads at the time. This major change in horsepower is what convinced a lot of third parties to hop off Nintendo's gravy train and head to Sony. In only about two years, Nintendo lost a ton of support from the giants Konami, Capcom, and Square Enix, developers that had created games so iconic to Nintendo that people considered franchises like Megaman, Castlevania, and Final Fantasy to practically be Nintendo franchises. This is why Nintendo took FFVII as a grave insult. It was basically the game that showed people the future of gaming in the context of visuals and storytelling and for such a behemoth of a game to suddenly change platforms, it's no wonder it took years for Nintendo to forgive Square Enix and why SE games were practically absent from Nintendo platforms for nearly two generations.

Methinks Blaire Blaire is a bit of a Cloud fanboy. Look, not everyone needs to be super hype about his inclusion in the game, you know? People have opinions.

Personally, I'd have much rather had something from Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy, but what's done is done and I have to live with it.

Cloud having a Shockwave beam over Ike, urks.

I am not too thrilled about Cloud getting in. Not because I have anything against him but he made like...no appearence in a game released on a Nintendo platform(not sure about KH though, don't play this game and it's non canon to FF anyway). Well, good for Cloud fans I guess

Speaking of Cloud, Sephiroth fans are really obnoxious, saying stuff like he could demolish the solar system. Dear lord no. That was an illusion of his.

Last edited:
why use his EX burst from Dissidia when the original Omnislash would of worked just fine? as it is it just feels far too much like ikes, and its all due to tthat one small change.

Again, it also feels like it makes more of an impact/looks cooler IMO when its cloud who shoots up into the air to deliver the final blow by crashing down on his opponent.
It's most likely a gameplay issue.

The combination of long range on the initial hit and ending the attack by slamming into the ground pretty much requires pulling the opponent in towards where you stood if you don't want to self-destruct by attacking someone over a moving or temporary platform.

There's also the issue of being able to hit multiple characters. Teleporting all over the stage to hit anyone at random would be weird, so it can't affect all enemies. The logical next step is to use the first hit to trap victims, but if they're at different positions and the last hit targets a random victim you can again end up self-destructing. The only sane solution is to gather up the victims over safe ground.

But more importantly Great Aether is completely made up and Omnislash predates it so any claims to originality are pointless.

Last edited:
Everybody that is complaining just needs to chill. Cloud is better than nobody and yea better than another semi clone so stop whining its a great addition to smash and has not one similarity to ike.. like the **** did you even watch the traile . All different moves and even has a projectile. The only kind of similar thing is his up b in the way that it comes back down spiking like ikes ans that he has a sword. So chill and enjoy that this is the biggest most diverse smash roster we've had and its continuing to grow.

But more importantly Great Aether is completely made up and Omnislash predates it so any claims to originality are pointless.
Except Omnislash doesn't predate Great Aether in terms of Smash, and Omnislash in the original FF7 is literally nothing like Great Aether aside from being a multi-hit move. In fact, Omnislash in FF7 is more like a multi-hit variant on Critical Hit then anything close to Great Aether.

Except Omnislash doesn't predate Great Aether in terms of Smash...
...so? You expect them to change a character's canonical moves because someone else ripped it off non-canonically before that character got into Smash? You might as well say Ryu's ripping off other characters.

If you think you can make the original Omnislash work in the context of Smash Bros without being super weird or prone to self-destructs, I'm all ears.

If you think you can make the original Omnislash work in the context of Smash Bros without being super weird or prone to self-destructs, I'm all ears.
Again, something more akin to Critical Hit could have worked. Or better yet, let him summon Bahamut as a Final Smash. That way he has his own Final Smash, and not a variant on another character's.

Again, something more akin to Critical Hit could have worked. Or better yet, let him summon Bahamut as a Final Smash. That way he has his own Final Smash, and not a variant on another character's.
If we're just gonna make **** up they might as well give him Meteorain or something, but then people would complain it's not Omnislash.

A summon would've worked out nicely but they look like the Midgar stage gimmick.

Last edited:
Except Omnislash doesn't predate Great Aether in terms of Smash, and Omnislash in the original FF7 is literally nothing like Great Aether aside from being a multi-hit move. In fact, Omnislash in FF7 is more like a multi-hit variant on Critical Hit then anything close to Great Aether.
If something is pulled straight from the original game, being predated in Smash is rather irrelevant (particularly for something like a Final Smash, which are cloned all the time anyway).

Using this video as reference, it looks mostly unchanged from the source material. The only difference is that originally, the jump was at the very end. Now, it's at the beginning, with the opponent coming along for the rideable a grand, explosive finale. It's flashier, more impressive, and works a bit better for Smash (as outlined by Doval). I see no reason to complain.
Again, something more akin to Critical Hit could have worked.
Then you'd be complaining that it's a Critical Hit clone, or a clone of Link's FS.
Or better yet, let him summon Bahamut as a Final Smash. That way he has his own Final Smash, and not a variant on another character's.
Omnislash is Cloud's signature move, and his strongest. To not have it present as the Final Smash would be a crime.
WHY CLOUD? I want TIKI from Fire Emblem!
We have enough FE reps already. :p

Top Bottom