• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

His final smash is basically the same as his EX burst in Dissidia. He literally didn't steal it
why use his EX burst from Dissidia when the original Omnislash would of worked just fine? as it is it just feels far too much like ikes, and its all due to tthat one small change.

Again, it also feels like it makes more of an impact/looks cooler IMO when its cloud who shoots up into the air to deliver the final blow by crashing down on his opponent.

Last edited:
There seems to be a LOT more salt around here than I anticipated. So many complaints over a newcomer? Like it or not, it's still MORE CONTENT for Smash. I mean, I'm still waiting for my most wanted character, but I have no reason to complain if it so happens that they don't(though it seems somewhat likely that they might show up sometime down the road:wolf:). It might be a little disappointing of course, but I'll still be enjoying the game regardless. I'm certainly not going to hold anything against Nintendo for whatever fighters they decide to add. More is more, right(I might not use them but still)?

I have no real opinion of Cloud one way or the other, so I don't know if I'm going to get him whenever he's available. That could change however. I don't know, I guess I need to see him in action more before I decide.

But congrats to anyone that might've wanted him.

And what's with all this clone talk?

I'm a K. Rool supporter but my GOD, Cloud in Smash I never thought I'd see the day. I rushed to my 3DS to download him but sadly he is not there. I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED for that Midgar stage and those Summons. Besides, we have a Smash specific broadcast coming in December, so we will likely see those Ballot characters coming, with me personally hoping for the Krocodilian King.

I wonder how this will effect Smash speculation. This one reveal turned it upside down, and once cherished rules have been broken. I got CHILLS man.

Also I need some Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Final Fantasy Explorers in my life. Yeah, I'm easy to please. I think I might even run out and (re)buy a Wii U on Black Friday.

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I CANT EVEN BELIEVE IT

I STILL HAVE CHILLS

Edit again: "I sense a new trailer coming"

Me: "He means Smash, right?"

*hears Final Fantasy 7 theme*

"Okay, maybe I was wrong. FFVII remake to Wii U maybe"

*sees Smash title*

*jaw actually drops*

*Cloud in Smash*

*never ending chills, and wallet begins to vibrate*

Last edited:
Once upon the time there was a game called 'Nintendo all-star dairantou smash brothers' aka Super Smash Brothers. Wait... Nintendo?

I made a similar comment before and I'm not bashing cloud as a character, but really? I mean... really?

You know, I thought about the idea of Cloud being in a Smash Bros. game a long time ago but when PlayStation All-Stars came out, I figured he fit much better in that game for obvious reasons so...I can't say I'm excited about this. I thought Ryu and Snake looked out of place but Cloud is even worse. I know he's made a few appearances on Nintendo consoles but none of them were FFVII games. I can't help but think "PlayStation" when I look at Cloud. Just seems weird.

I'm still going to download him because I do like Cloud and FFVII but there's more characters I would have liked see in this game before him. Heck, I'd rather see Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman and even Ryu Hayabusa before Cloud.

Last edited:
Awesome tagline for Cloud, but I'll be honest... even though he's a terrible character, it doesn't get more epic than "Mewtwo Strikes Back!"

You know, I thought about the idea of Cloud being in a Smash Bros. game a long time ago but when PlayStation All-Stars came out, I figured he fit much better in that game for obvious reasons so...I can't say I'm excited about this. I thought Ryu and Snake looked out of place but Cloud is even worse. I know he's made a few appearances on Nintendo consoles but none of them were FFVII games. I can't help but think "PlayStation" when I look at Cloud. Just seems weird.

I'm still going to download him because I do like Cloud and FFVII but there's more characters I would have liked see in this game before him. Heck, I'd rather see Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman and even Ryu Hayabusa before Cloud.
I can see that, but at the same time, Final Fantasy is one of the most influential game franchises that has ever existed. Don't see him so much as "Cloud in Smash" but instead Cloud representing the FF series on smash.

Well that's unexpected.
Not sure how I feel about it. I feel like there were better Nintendo choices but I'm not upset at all.
Idk he just doesn't seem like he would fit all that well.

Funny how people think Cloud is an anime character only from looking at his character design,because the last time I checked.Cloud originated from a video game.

Man, though. All my wanted 3rd parties have been taken by actually legit representatives.

My street fighter pick would of been M. Bison, my Final Fantasy pick would of been Terra, and my Namco rep would of been Nightmare. But I'm not complaining.

And if this is a lead up to Banjo-Kazooie and/or Joanna Dark being playable, I can die happily. Rare needs a bite of this delicious pie regardless where their loyalty lies now.

...you know, I dunno about the Final Fantasy warzone fanbase... but to say Smashboards is flabbergasted would be pretty accurate...

anyhow, dunno if anyone's speculating what he's capable of... but if I were to guess, he'd seem a lot like a fire emblem fighter mixed with PM Lucario's attack boost mechanic... if the Limit break gauge is anything like the game proper, it builds up as he exchanges blows, and when it's maxed, any attacks (likely his specials) that resembles a Limit break gets powered up once, depleting it. dunno if it can get knocked out of him like Mac's KO Punch, but he likely sounds like the kind of fighter who can hold out for a big play... except unlike Lucario here, he doesn't require it to thrive...

that's just my two cents on it, anyways.

Last edited:
Certainly an unexpected character, I know Cloud is the main stream representative but I would have preferred Squall Lionheart, I'll wait till he comes out before saying things like
: "Just another swordsman!" Or "Unoriginal moveset!" I prefer him over Shantae or Shovel Knight though.

Hooo man, the butthurt is so strong in this thread. I'm glad Square got a rep, and I'm not even going to lie, the little kid inside me is screaming and is hyped as ****. FF7 is super nostalgic to me.

wut?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 0_0

I mean, who really saw this coming?!

...still cool dou

Last edited:
Dayumm the salt is real. I mean I've been wanting King K. Rool as a DLC fighter really badly and have been supporting him since Brawl came out, but I am not one bit salty that Cloud is here. I'm totally hyped. So unexpected! I'm open to more DLC fighters even if they're not the ones I wanted tbh

Typical ignorant bandwagon hate.
It's not bandwagon hate if I suffered through that boringly easy 65-hour cliche storm featuring Marty Stu as the main character. The only way this could get worse is if Goku or Naruto are next.

Remember, the developers only have so many characters they have time to make. For every Cloud, there is one less K. Rool, Shantae, or Isaac.

in the original FF7 cloud never smacked his enemy(sephiroth) sky high into the air at the start of omnislash, seph was grounded and it was cloud who went airborn at the very end of the move to deliver the final hit.

That is why feels too much like a rip-off of ikes. I know fully well that cloud came before ike, but by that one small change, omnislash feels more like ike's final smash just pasted onto cloud. IF cloud instead kept his opponent grounded, and then skyrocketed into the air like in the original FF7 before crashing down on ike, it would of looked less like a copy/paste of ike's FS, as well as be more true to the original actual move.

As for the whole history with nintendo, FF7 is the game that actually broke nintendo and squares good ties together, so if anything the only significance cloud does have to nintendo, is bad blood between square and nintendo for years. That is also why it would of made more sense to include a square character who appeared on nintendo's consoles like Cecil or Terra, and NOT cloud.

EDIT:

REad my above post
Sephiroth was in the Air during Omni Slash in Advent Children. Yes, even though FF7 was during the time of Nintendo and SE rocky relationship, it still doesn't change the fact that Cloud is representing the entire FF franchise because of his effect on the mainstream media. No one knows Cecil, or Terra only the die hards know them and sorry to say this game is not geared towards die hards, its for the mainstream and the mainstream knows who cloud is. If you post a picture to a casual RPG'er of Cloud, Terra, or Cecil. They could tell you who Cloud is before any of the other two.

Last edited:
I can see that, but at the same time, Final Fantasy is one of the most influential game franchises that has ever existed. Don't see him so much as "Cloud in Smash" but instead Cloud representing the FF series on smash.
Yeah, I will say that if the FF series just had to have a rep, there's no better choice than Cloud. I can't picture many people being excited to play as a Moogle or Black Mage, especially when they're not even the protagonists and when it does come to protagonists, Cloud is the most famous.

Last edited:
People wonder why Cloud made it in, and the answer is simple.

Cloud not only brings in money to Nintendo due to his large fanbase, but he's gotten people talking about Smash 4 again.

King K. Rool, the Inklings, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Issac and even other Final Fantasy characters like Black Mage, Cecil, and Terra are all safe choices. People would have seen them, shrugged their shoulders and thought they looked cool.

Cloud brought buzz to Smash 4, and the fact it, when your talking about JRPG heroes, there is nobody more iconic or famous then him. He is the Mario or Ryu of JRPGs.

This has nothing to do with relevance to Nintendo, its all about what makes people open their wallets and throw money at DLC. The characters that I listed like King K. Rool, and Shovel Knight have fanbases, but Cloud has an insanely large fanbase.

I think Cloud making it in is a great thing. It further reinforces the idea that Smash Bros is a who-who's All-Star fighting game for some of the industry's biggest icons.

Let me be blunt here, nobody outside of the fanbases who asked for them care about Shovel Knight, Shantae, King K. Rool, Issac, or even other Final Fantasy reps. They are just another set of characters in the roster.

Cloud has brought some insane hype to Smash 4, and the fact is, he prints money.

That is why he made it into the roster.

I feel like I should be happy for all the people who wanted Cloud in the game but my heart is still broken after having Wolf cut from Smash 4 :(
been holding out since smash 4 was announced, hopefully it won't be too much longer and he shows up at the smash direct along with cloud (and maybe more?)

Limit break isn't going to be a passive charging skill. You see him manually charge the meter to max with specific animations Don't see anything passive about it. Its most likely his down b.

It's not bandwagon hate if I suffered through that boringly easy 65-hour cliche storm featuring Marty Stu as the main character. The only way this could get worse is if Goku or Naruto are next.

Remember, the developers only have so many characters they have time to make. For every Cloud, there is one less K. Rool, Shantae, or Isaac.
If you took 65 hours to complete the game, you're a special snowflake.

I thought FF7 was a pretty bad game compared to most RPGs I played. I thought Cloud was lame too....Yet this trailer still hyped me up, Sakurai strikes again

Best character announcement so far, there hasn't been a character announcement this good since Snake in 2006.

Best character announcement so far, there hasn't been a character announcement this good since Snake in 2006.
This one's even better, since Snake had four appearances on Nintendo hardware. A port of a MS-X game, a non-canon game that Kojima wasn't involved with, a port of a PS1 game, and a GBC game that nobody's ever heard of. It's a really weak lineup, but it's technically there.

Who needs Smash fighters to be associated with Nintendo? It's not like that's the selling point of the series! If the next reveal isn't Master Chief I'm going to be very disappointed.

Limit break isn't going to be a passive charging skill. You see him manually charge the meter to max with specific animations Don't see anything passive about it. Its most likely his down b.
yeahhh... I took another look at the trailer, you might be right about that... kind of reminds me of PM Lucas and his Offense Up...

Okay ! Even if I didn't play a single FF game in my life, I must admit, hype was there !
However, I'm a little little bit upset about the meaning of his inclusion. That Cloud, from Final Fantasy, a major Sony consoles series, is in Smash is REALLY a big deal when it comes to the meaning of it...

I'm not a fan of Cloud but one of my friends is, and I'm happy that he was chose over many other very requested but least interesting characters.
The fact that his gameplay is partially based on Ike bugs me a bit anyway, but the materia summoning thing seems interesting... or it's just a character with many final smashes?
Surely he's a very iconic character, and despite being a semiclone, he deserves the spot (and well, the Square Enix + Smash thing makes Geno very likely!)

Cloud looks pretty darn awesome. I mean, I've never played FF but wow.

I'm scared that the female Link will be in Smash Bros. if she gets in and not wolf I will riot.

Top Bottom