• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
Mewtwo, Roy, and no less than Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles!

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Just Mewtwo is fine really. This game has been in Demo mode long enough, they need to finish this so they can get back to their lives. PMBR has done enough for us, I don't want them to work any further than they have to.

Though a new and badass Pichu would be nice.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Just Mewtwo is fine really. This game has been in Demo mode long enough, they need to finish this so they can get back to their lives. PMBR has done enough for us, I don't want them to work any further than they have to.

Though a new and badass Pichu would be nice.

lol PM's just a hobby dude, anyone who's not enjoying it probably isn't doing it

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I kind of maybe already have a Belmont character in development. He's not designed after any particular character, and he's called just that: Belmont.

The moveset will feature a combination of things from many Belmont characters in the franchise. So far the most "definitive" properties are coming from Gabriel, because I really like the way he looks and his peripheral equipment makes everything really easy to work with, but that's about as far as that goes. Pretty much every B input is traditional subweapons:
- neutral - dagger
- down - holy water - thrown at a more downward angle if you're in the air
- side - boomerang cross
- up - ?????.

I don't even know why I'm posting this. The project is only about 15% done.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
Primid is such a generic character. No offense but the moveset you made up for him is generic as well. It's like he borrowed moves from other characters. Primid's inclusion would be super boring.

Giga Bowser should stay a final smash. Plus I doubt PMBR wants to create overpowered/boss characters.

Balloon fighter has no creative moveset. He is also a character that I find generic and boring.
To each there own. I still like Primid, maybe one day I'll learn to PSA just to make him for myself. Lol

Also, I think Giga Bowser should be fixed in a way. I want a new Event 51 style match. It's impossible to do at the moment because GBowser can't have knockback. But that's fine.

Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, etc should all take priority at the moment anyways.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I would love if the PMBR released some kind of "Do-it-yourself kit" for inserting new characters. The team won't add more than the melee vets unless they are included in SSB4, and even that is pushing it. I personally have a wishlist of characters I would like to see, but I know for a fact that many people could care less about them being in the game. If I could create my own slot and put a well made PSA from brawlvault over it (obviously P:M compatible), I'd be happy. They could even keep them in a different 'block' or group of characters, to insure that everyone continues to use the official ones.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I just thought of a few things:

1. What happens if Snake uses his codec on Roy (or other clone engine characters) in Shadow Moses Island? Does it play Marth's codec, a brand new one for Roy, or nothing at all?
2. Will any clone engine characters have a Final Smash?
3. Can I add Marth costumes to Roy? The same could be said for future characters, like if Mewtwo can have Lucario costumes, etc.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I just thought of a few things:

1. What happens if Snake uses his codec on Roy (or other clone engine characters) in Shadow Moses Island? Does it play Marth's codec, a brand new one for Roy, or nothing at all?
2. Will any clone engine characters have a Final Smash?
3. Can I add Marth costumes to Roy? The same could be said for future characters, like if Mewtwo can have Lucario costumes, etc.
They confirmed 2 and 3 as "yes".

shuall

Smash Apprentice
They should add Strong Bad as a playable character! And Trogdor!
This. I feel like it wouldn't be as hard to get the permission of the guys who run homestarrunner.com. Though, telltale games may already have exclusive rights for using strong bad (strong bad's cool game for attractive people).

It could be like pokemon trainer, except strong bad, strong sad, and strong mad would switch out. So, a legitimate clone.

Unfortunately, I feeling like adding them would open the floodgates, and there would be no reason to keep any other animated character out of the game.

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
If they go off the deep end with this engine this game will become chaotic and crumble. Project. It'll become Project Mugen.
I seriously think some people need to realize this. At most 3 new characters. And even that seems like a bit much. We don't need Naruto and Omega Tiger Woods in Project M.

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Is it around the same amount of work to port an already created character to occupying a clone slot? If not could Clone Engine be used as the remedy for Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaurs lack of final smashes?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Honestly, the only other officially supported character I want to see is Mewtwo.
MAYBE something like Megaman if Project M is still going strong after Smash 4.

As soon as you branch out of actual Smash characters you are just opening up a can of worms. Balancing this game is already hard enough, and as soon as you start bringing in outside characters balancing becomes a nightmare.
Obviously, a tournament organizer can always choose to include other characters if they really desired to, but I would be VERY surprised to see any non-Smash characters added.

That said, when the clone engine is made public of course you are free to do whatever you want with your own game. So I am very excited to see what people can come up with for us to use at home.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
As soon as you branch out of actual Smash characters you are just opening up a can of worms. Balancing this game is already hard enough, and as soon as you start bringing in outside characters balancing becomes a nightmare.
That's what Brawl Minus is for. The ultimate broken troll game, lol.

splat

Smash Lord
I would personally be fine with just Mewtwo and Roy. The other characters that didn't make the cut seem to be incorporated in other movesets (though getting Pichu back would be fun, in some crazy way - I think INSANE CRAZY GUY from the Smashmods boards would be stoked).

However, I've read somewhere on the Reddit page that the backroom is planning on adding characters they like (though I'm not sure if that was posted by someone actually associated with the team). I also read that Roy was rendered by Pik, who's also done this incredible Masked Man skin for Ness. Putting one and one together, I really hope they'll make this skin into a standalone character, I mean, look at him:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
However, I've read somewhere on the Reddit page that the backroom is planning on adding characters they like (though I'm not sure if that was posted by someone actually associated with the team). I also read that Roy was rendered by Pik, who's also done this incredible Masked Man skin for Ness. Putting one and one together, I really hope they'll make this skin into a standalone character, I mean, look at him:

Oh my god, I would go crazy if the Masked Man got added

B.W.

Smash Champion
You know, just yesterday I was thinking that it would be cool if Travis from the unofficial Mother 4 was put in. It'd be like one awesome fan project nodding to the other, and, like Nintendo did with Roy in Melee, it could promote the game.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I really don't see why people want so many non smash characters in the game. Since this is kinda the PM clone engine thread wouldn't it make more sense to just suggest changes to the characters that were taken from melee instead of coming up with random characters that "would be cool to see" in PM? I can see the clone engine being used like that in the future for things not PM, but right now I don't really see the point of wanting Megaman, little mac, Shadow in PM. In my opinion it just doesn't seem like they fit the project.

Personally I'd like to see Pichu back with an improved and more separate move set that Pikachu.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think we are definitely getting Mewtwo. Mewtwo and Roy definitely deserve to be in Project M despite not being in Brawl since they were supposed to be in Brawl to begin with (and they are by far the most missed of the cut Melee veterans).

For entirely new characters, the Project M team needs to think very hard and carefully. If they do decide to add in a true newcomer I think it should be a high profile character that fails to make it into Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Best indeed is Mewtwo only from P:M. Then PM Team will see if to release the engine for public.

I mean even if I'd like to see new characters, it'd be quite a stretchful task and it'd create balance issues as well.

I'd be blown away if they actually managed to make a fully-functioning new character which doesn't seem funky like most PSA-based characters. Hard to see 'em tournament-viable though unless playtesting truly shows they're capable of that, but I bet even that would take years.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I of course want Mewtwo back, and expect that we'll see him.

I'd love Pichu back in some capacity as well. I miss that Skull Bash. Too fun.

In terms of actual new characters, an Advance Wars character would of course be my go-to pick.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
So this might be a long shot, but has anyone considered ASKING Pat Cashman (the announcer) and David Hayter (Snake's voice) to donate their talents for a character or two?

SunJester

Smash Ace
God Tier
· Mewtwo 1217

Top Tier
· King K. Rool 948
· Ridley 941

Roy Tier
· Roy 811

High Tier
· Little Mac (Punch Out) 796
· Krystal 734
· Bowser Junior 721
· Palutena 708

Mid Tier
· Chrom 644
· Isaac (Golden Sun) 641

Low Tier
· Dixie Kong 594
· Waluigi 588
· Paper Mario 581
· Shulk (Xenoblade) 542
· Banjo & Kazooie 537
· Majora (Skull Kid) 514

Bottom Tier
· Pac-Man 494
· Ghirahim 491
· Bomberman 467
· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 463
· Samurai Goroh 458
· Black Shadow 451
· 6th Gen Pokemon 405
· Toad 411
· Lyn 410
So here's a Smash board vote on characters people want in Smash 4. Somehow I think this would be taken strongly into consideration by the PMBR. Granted they said they don't want to port any newcomers from 4 into P:M so that may leave most of these characters in question until the full roster is revealed.

However even with this information its still a given, that Mewtwo is a given.

(just as a frame of reference, Chrom, Shulk, Banjo + Kazooie, Pac-man, Ghirahim, Bomberman, or Gen 6 Pokemon are not present in Brawl so they won't be included)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I love that this is going on, and read the update explaining.

There aren't many characters I can see who suit the clone engine in the list above, but a few characters I can think of having a chance are:

Mewtwo (likely next character)
Bowser Jr (as a smaller clone of Bowser to start implementing some Squirtle to the mix)
Plusle and Minun (Possibly, using Popo Nana AI and Pikachu moves, Pichu's spiritual successor, and mixes of the two) [I take it that would take 2 of the remaining slots]
Other Sonic Characters (Shadow, Tails and Knuckles could all start out as Sonic Clones, tough they'd depart very quickly)

Roy, Mewtwo, Jr, Plusle, Minun, Tails and Knuckles makes seven... There may be other options I'm not considering, but that's probably what I'd go for if I were appealing to melee fans with those restrictions (Tails and Knuckles are added just 'cos they're the best other semi clones I could think of).

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I meant, in addition to that if necessary. I probably should've mentioned I've already seen that video. As mentioned earlier, what's going to be used for Snake's hidden taunt on the new character(s)?

As for probable suggestions, I'd like to make a point for a moment on the returning characters. I can see Mewtwo being picked just on hype, and I wouldn't expect Doc or Ylink getting in since their moves have already been integrated. As for Pichu returning: yes I had a lot of fun and laughs with him, and he would complete the experience for some people. I don't doubt PMBR could make Pichu (more) viable, but how much are players going to be hyped for him? What could they do to keep people from being disappointed at his unveil, after (say) Mewtwo? Whatever it is will have to make it worth their time. Pretty much every character I've seen them unveil has had the aura of "jaw-droppingly badass" or super-fun to play as. Does anyone else find it interesting that we might be looking at Pichu as a fellow badass character? It's funny and hard to swallow =P

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
When they mention that characters can only be created from characters already in Smash because of legal issues, does that include trophies and/or stickers as well?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
When they mention that characters can only be created from characters already in Smash because of legal issues, does that include trophies and/or stickers as well?
I believe in the blog post they mention that Assist Trophies are fair game. Stickers might be stretching it though.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Naw, the blog post says stickers are fair game as well.
Taken directly from there "To stay in Nintendo's good graces and to avoid attracting Cease & Desist letters from 3rd party companies, we are limiting our choice of new characters to those that Nintendo has already licensed for inclusion in Brawl. In other words, that restricts us to characters that already appear in the game in some way, such as trophies, assists, or stickers."

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I want the Darn Knight.
I'll teach you crimesters that it's not okay to goof up after bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom