• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm not debating though, I'm just curious what you'd wanna see him do. I'm not against the idea of changing Ganondorf, I can just see the reasons why people wouldn't want him changed from how he currently is. I need to rest for a while, but lay out what you'd want him to do and I'll get back to it with curiousity...or enthusiasm...whichever one makes more sense at the moment.
I've already laid out the general idea of what could possibly work or would be worth testing. I wasn't the one who brought this up initially, I just wanted to back up the idea so the people who said it first could have their say and share their ideas.

Besides, I think this thread has had enough of the word "Ganon" being shouted 50 times per minute for one day. ¦D;

I, for one, am quite tired of going back and forth with several people in several threads today. XD

I'm bushed. I'm gonna relax and go watch Red be awesome in Origins since I've got all 4 episodes and am rather proficient in the mysterious language some people call "Moonspeak". ¦D

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I like the idea of an accurate Ganondorf, but there are multiple questions bouncing around in my head that seem to conflict with the idea. To what extent would Ganonorf need to be changed and how accurate would you want him to be? Would he have a reflectable projectile like he does in Ocarina of Time (And ALTTP as Agahnim), even for non reflecting attacks? Would he have a more melee oriented fighting style like he does in Wind Waker, where he dual wields against you (And has a hell of a backhand)? Would he be even slower, like he seems to be in his Twilight Princess style, with his exaggerated stab and swings?

There are multiple levels that this could be taken to, and most of them sound pretty bad because Ganondorf is a pathetic boss in most encounters. It's an oddity considering how much he gets built up in the Zelda series, only to get repeatedly thrashed by a child/teen. His duel with Link at the end of Twilight Princess is one of the most pathetic fights from Ganondorf, in the history of Zelda, it's pretty clear that he's not that skilled with the blade. That said, why do people seem to want him to use a sword?

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Ganondorf is the character in Smash and he only transforms into Ganon during his Final Smash. Ganondorf doesn't use a trident in any game in the series, that's an iconic part of the pig-man Ganon transformation.

Interesting points.

I would say looking closely at all of his play styles from previous games would be important. And keep in mind the character "Ganondorph" was not introduced untill OOT. So the only games you need to look really closely at would be OOT Wind waker and Twilight Princess. And to make points about him sucking as a boss isnt fair. You have to be able to beat him lol.

As for his projectile here's my full descriptive idea (i dont even know if this is doable but its worth talking about)
So the projectile can be chargeable of course. The more it is charged the stronger it gets and the faster it moves (if fired right away it moves very slow)
The projectile can be hit back by any attack, and depending on the power of the attack and its trajectory, the projectile can be shot back at faster speeds and different directions. For example, a normal A attack would hit it back slower than a smash attack. This being said, any time it is hit back the speed of the projectile would increase regardless of attack, but the amount the speed is increased is changed. The knockback growth of the projectile similairly would increase each time it is hit back. Finally to complete this mechanic, each time the projectile is hit back, its lifetime is replenished, this can make for great juggling of the projectile and would make it interesting and very different than other projectiles in game.
Next, a fully charged projectile, will result in a scatter shot like in OOT where ganondorf would shoot out like 5 orbs at once. These would move at a medium speed and would move in different directions, and would also have a kind of wiggle like lucarios aura sphere (but actually with a larger wiggle more like mewtwo's orb).

As for his other attacks, as i was saying above, they dont have to all be garbage like in his actual games. But his play style could be adjusted to make him feel more like he should. He could have some quicker melee moves, some sword attacks, lots more magic attacks. His speed wouldnt need to be changed too much actually, he's not overly slow or fast. His final smash could be a ganon transformation (one where you could actually control him).

Theres a lot that can be done. I see what you're saying, but that can be worked around easily. there are moves that are always reoccurring in ganondorfs appearances in zelda, so those are the ones that would need to be emphasized to make him have a good ganondorf feel.

To tie that back to Gdorf, there's never been a video game where I've ever played as him except for Smash. I'm not actually sure if there are even other places to play as him, but if there are, I've never seen or heard of them. This is legitimately the only context in which I can be Ganondorf.

I've been playing as this version of Ganondorf for about 12 years now, though. In my mind, Ganondorf doesn't even have a sword. He's just a brolic dude that punches and kicks people around. : D It's not entirely inaccurate, either - he's a Gerudo after all, and the fact that he's a really skilled hand-to-hand fighter that also augments himself with dark magic is pretty appropriate. He may not have the shadowy balls from OoT or the sword from TP, but again - DK doesn't have his coconut gun or orange grenades. I don't think a character necessarily needs to come equipped with everything they've ever used to be an acceptable representation of themselves. When you're dealing with something more open-ended, like "how does it feel to play as a boss?", that interpretation can vary wildly.

Of course, we all know that the initial reason Gdorf is a clone is time constraints, but that moveset is as much a part of him now as Falco's or Roy's.

I guess that's my point. A lot of people say "he doesn't fight like Ganondorf!", but to me, this is the definitive way that Ganondorf fights.

This is my Huge issue.. Gdorfs move set was rushed and crap for melee and that became iconic for him. What the crap? How is that okay? Ganondorf/Ganon is one of the most iconic villains in video games, and smash bros changed him completely? It makes no sense. The move set smash bros gave him shoul dnot be "a part of him". It should never have been accepted and there should have been an up-rise of upset people pushing nintendo to de clone him. Ya hes not awful, hes lotsa fun to use, but its nonsense, just cause its not terrible doesnt make it ok. The hand to hand stuff is ok too, im not even saying totally get rid of that, but he absolutely should have a whole bunch of magic attacks. He has plenty of ICONIC magic attacks that can be used from previous games, and they can keep a chunk of the hand to hand stuff and make it work.

Anyway, i do understand peoples attachment to his current move set, i love playing as him now. But ever since i heard he was a clone in melee i was furious cause i knew that meant he'd be a clone forever, even though it was done because of time constraints. I really hope nintendo grows a set and changes his move set in the wii U version.

Anyway this has become a different argument now and kinda is off topic.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Very understandable. Try to get some rest though, okay? :3

If they think it's a good idea, then they'll do it. If they don't, they won't. You're talking as if you're cared that everything I'm saying is set in stone when it's only an idea I'm pitching out there. I'm aware some people are against it, but that doesn't mean I'll take it back. It'll still be there. If you think it's not a good idea, then fine, but you're not going to limit anyone from trying to get it to be heard by professing against it with your nostalgic love for the opposite. I'm sorry. At this rate, we'll just go back and forth, so it'd be best to agree to disagree then live and let live from this point on.

I was just taking part in the discussion - don't take things so personally. =) I saw you expressing an opinion, so I shared one of my own. There's really no need to explain why you won't be rescinding your opinion, as I never asked for you to do that.

Based on how you responded to Pwnz0r Man, you seem to think this is some sort of debate between people who want Gdorf changed, and people who don't. It's really not - it's just a friendly discussion between people who love PM.

As for his projectile here's my full descriptive idea (i dont even know if this is doable but its worth talking about)
So the projectile can be chargeable of course. The more it is charged the stronger it gets and the faster it moves (if fired right away it moves very slow)
The projectile can be hit back by any attack, and depending on the power of the attack and its trajectory, the projectile can be shot back at faster speeds and different directions. For example, a normal A attack would hit it back slower than a smash attack. This being said, any time it is hit back the speed of the projectile would increase regardless of attack, but the amount the speed is increased is changed. The knockback growth of the projectile similairly would increase each time it is hit back. Finally to complete this mechanic, each time the projectile is hit back, its lifetime is replenished, this can make for great juggling of the projectile and would make it interesting and very different than other projectiles in game.
Next, a fully charged projectile, will result in a scatter shot like in OOT where ganondorf would shoot out like 5 orbs at once. These would move at a medium speed and would move in different directions, and would also have a kind of wiggle like lucarios aura sphere (but actually with a larger wiggle more like mewtwo's orb).

That's pretty cool - makes me feel like Lucario would be a good candidate for the basis of that kind of Ganondorf. Playing tennis with people during matches would be pretty legit. : D

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool - makes me feel like Lucario would be a good candidate for the basis of that kind of Ganondorf. Playing tennis with people during matches would be pretty legit. : D

sparked your interest have i :p

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
but again - DK doesn't have his coconut gun or orange grenades.

I don't think DK's coconut gun or orange grenades are a very good analogy at all. DK has had plenty of games before he's had any guns (and I only remember them from DK64)... namely DKC. So his coconut gun or whatever weapons aren't really his staple. Also, SSB64 came out before DK64. It would've been cool for them to add it in Brawl, but then again, it takes away from his heavily close-ranged combat style, which, unlike Ganondorf's, was already true to his character.

In contrast, Ganondorf already appeared in OoT when he was introduced in Melee (well duh, it's his first appearance), so we already had his whole thief-dark wizard character known already. He throws magic at you and ****. Except none of this went into his Melee character, and he was just given Falcon's moveset with "dark magic" instead of fire. :|

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I don't think DK's coconut gun or orange grenades are a very good analogy at all. DK has had plenty of games before he's had any guns (and I only remember them from DK64)... namely DKC. So his coconut gun or whatever weapons aren't really his staple. Also, SSB64 came out before DK64. It would've been cool for them to add it in Brawl, but then again, it takes away from his heavily close-ranged combat style, which, unlike Ganondorf's, was already true to his character.
Maybe barrels work better, then - he's been throwing those since his arcade games, after all. : D

sparked your interest have i :p

Oo ya! I'd love to see how a match would play out with that ping-pong mechanic. You should totally try to make a PSA with that.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Oo ya! I'd love to see how a match would play out with that ping-pong mechanic. You should totally try to make a PSA with that.

Trust me I'd love to, but thats way beyond my knowledge. Ive done some stuff with ganondorf and lucario, but thats the extent of my powers.

PS. Do you guys think the PMBR looks at these posts/do they consider stuff at all from here?

red9rd

Smash Ace
Enough talk about Ganon. If you guys don't like how only a few of his moves he actually uses in his games. Think about Ness and Lucas they only have 1 move each that they actually use.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Going back to the Fire Emblem discussion, I'd be quite happy if Lyn was added, though after Mewtwo. Lyn already has some sound effects and she could also be created through a Marth base.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
PS. Do you guys think the PMBR looks at these posts/do they consider stuff at all from here?
I'm pretty sure at least 1 PMBR member checks the threads here, they welcome all constructive and/or humorous feedback and suggestions. Even if some things are not feasible they value knowing what their player base wants to see happen, so maybe they could do similar things based on it in the future.

Basically, they're a pretty cool bunch and they do actually care what we think.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Enough talk about Ganon. If you guys don't like how only a few of his moves he actually uses in his games. Think about Ness and Lucas they only have 1 move each that they actually use.
Like anyone here actually plays Mother. ¦D

*said the guy who has never played Zelda or majority of the Nintendo games*

MagnesD3

Smash Master
For assist trophies to characters is say: lyn, issac, saki, little Mac and Waluigi.

As for popular in game assets to be turned into characters I'd say: Ridley, Krystal, king K Rool, Dixie Kong and Bowser Jr.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I've already laid out the general idea of what could possibly work or would be worth testing. I wasn't the one who brought this up initially, I just wanted to back up the idea so the people who said it first could have their say and share their ideas.

Besides, I think this thread has had enough of the word "Ganon" being shouted 50 times per minute for one day. ¦D;

I, for one, am quite tired of going back and forth with several people in several threads today. XD

I'm bushed. I'm gonna relax and go watch Red be awesome in Origins since I've got all 4 episodes and am rather proficient in the mysterious language some people call "Moonspeak". ¦D
Bastid. And here I am waiting for English subs like a sucker.

I played all of the Mother games, they're glorious.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
*******. And here I am waiting for English subs like a sucker.
Don't feel bad. I'm gonna watch it two more times once the PM or P-O sub-groups put out one of their releases. XD

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Mr. Rogers
Jesus Christ
Ice Climberses (It's like the Ice Climbers, but there's three of them. Nana, Popo, and Hehe.)
Black Ranger
Mr. T
Robocop
Doc from Back To The Future
Dinosaurs
Bigger dinosaurs
Krillin
Pinkie Pie
Walt Whitmen from Breaking Bad
Barbie
The old guy from the Six Flags commercials
Genie from Aladdin
Mark Zuckerburg
A cheeseburger
The HowToBasic guy

I have hope for all this to be released in the next update

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if the PMBR is actually planning on adding a bunch of characters besides mewtwo, or do we just all have high hopes?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Once Samus is put into PM will ZSS take up one of the 7 new character spots?
I would assume not. I mean, we already have the three Pokemon separated, and if that were the case, once everybody was added that'd be another two slots taken up out of the seven. To my understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), there is enoough space and room for all the characters currently in Brawl already; it's just adding new characters without replacing current fighters that would take a slot. So ZSS should be fine once Samus comes along.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if the PMBR is actually planning on adding a bunch of characters besides mewtwo, or do we just all have high hopes?
I'd say high hopes.

Keep in mind that it took about 700 hours to finish Roy, who out of all possible new characters was probably the easiest to do because of his extreme similarity to Marth. He's more different now than before, but relative to other possible characters he and Marth are still very similar. I don't even want to think about how much effort it would be to add a character who isn't heavily a clone, who knows how many hours of work will have to go into Mewtwo alone. After all that, asking the PMBR for even more characters, ones who don't already have established movesets like Roy and Mewtwo do, well, it seems like a tall order.

I'd still like to see Pichu, though.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Its gona be hard work for even just mewtwo. But i mean have they expressed any interest in adding new characters? I read the possibilities and limits thing they posted on their main page, which seems like they have some sights on adding new characters (ones that appear in the game in some way) but im not sure if thats just actual clones and mewtwo (characters from melee only).

And my other thought is, even though it would be a lot of work.. once they finish off all the remaining brawl characters, theres no rush and they can work on single new characters one at a time and slowly drop bombs on us in the future.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think itd be cool if pmbr created waluigi based off of peach.
It would be cool if the Project M team didn't waster their efforts on Waluigi at all considering how extremely divisive that character is.

Still working on my massive piece on which newcomers the Project M team should select, btw.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
It would be cool if the Project M team didn't waster their efforts on Waluigi at all considering how extremely divisive that character is.

Still working on my massive piece on which newcomers the Project M team should select, btw.

Gotta love Chronobound prediction/suggestion pieces, they are always so detailed!

Anyways, I'm really hyped to see whatever newcomers are picked, really any new characters added to Project M would make the experience feel that much fresher.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I would assume not. I mean, we already have the three Pokemon separated, and if that were the case, once everybody was added that'd be another two slots taken up out of the seven. To my understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), there is enoough space and room for all the characters currently in Brawl already; it's just adding new characters without replacing current fighters that would take a slot. So ZSS should be fine once Samus comes along.

Yeah, I think as far as the game is programmed, there's really no difference - even though Chari, Squirtle and Ivy are part of the same "character" in the game, they were coded by Sakurai and his devs as three distinct characters, so it was feasible for the PM team to pull them apart and make them each a unique character without having to take up clone engine slots.

Which is definitely fortunate! :D

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Gotta love Chronobound prediction/suggestion pieces, they are always so detailed!

Anyways, I'm really hyped to see whatever newcomers are picked, really any new characters added to Project M would make the experience feel that much fresher.
I deeply appreciate the compliment.

However, I probably won't be finished with it until some time in December. Although, I may finish it by mid-November at the earliest. I'm going to put a lot of effort into it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope it'll go well, even if I still think Mewtwo and Roy are more than well enough to make P:M perfectly complete.
Anymore than that might either tip it into better (though I see it as quite unlikely) or worse.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I hope it'll go well, even if I still think Mewtwo and Roy are more than well enough to make P:M perfectly complete.
Anymore than that might either tip it into better (though I see it as quite unlikely) or worse.

Why would it make it worse? lol
The PMBR aren't idiots, anything they decide to change or add will for sure be a positive addition. They wouldn't just throw in a character without thinking it through and giving him a balanced move set.

MVP

Smash Ace
The PMBR aren't idiots, anything they decide to change or add will for sure be a positive addition. They wouldn't just throw in a character without thinking it through and giving him a balanced move set.

especially if it takes over 300 hours to make a single character....

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman

Played Earthbound and Mother 3. Both are fantastic games.

In terms of canon, Ness' baseball bat and Yoyo are weapons he actually used in Earthbound.
His hidden taunt in PM is a reference to the photo man.
As for Lucas, his stick is a weapon he actually used in Mother 3. His Up and Down smashes are most likely based on PK love, another move that was canon from Mother 3.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I know, but I just believe that going into this department feels less rewarding than the effort done for it overall.

I mean the choice already that has to be made on the final character and would it please most of the community, and then the moveset has to truly feel balanced yet unique enough to make the character feel viable and blending well with rest of the cast due along with the strengths and weaknesses. I just hope that PMBR won't make what feels like an "artificial"-feeling character as it might need constant balancing to blend in with rest of the characters (or otherwise the character is said to be broken or similar) or otherwise it feels bit foreign in means of playability and feel in means of fitting to the existing character pool that Brawl possesses. And that's not before getting to the fact that is the character gonna be tournament-viable in any form.

tl;dr: I'm just saying that making a new characters asks for a lot of resources, before, during and especially after completing the character. Which is why I think that after Mewtwo (if he gets added), P:M don't NEED to take that next step if they necessarily don't want to, even if the community might ask for it, because to be honest, the game would be perfect at that point, and doesn't necessarily need long-time taking and difficult-to-implement and constantly to-be-balanced new characters.

I mean I'll be truly astounded of PMBR succeeds truly well with making a new character that doesn't feel artificial and plays fluidly enough to feel like one of the existing characters in Brawl. I'm just feeling that pulling that off seems highly difficult and might not be necessary due how good PM already is (or could be if Mewtwo would be added)

SunJester

Smash Ace
You're crazy. The PMBR could definitely add a new character into this game, make them work, and make them complete; I mean they DESIGNED this game after all.

Also they'd be crazy not to add any new characters, why work so hard on a clone engine and stop at two characters? This is a huge potential for them to reach a larger audience.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
they'd be crazy not to add any new characters, why work so hard on a clone engine and stop at two characters? This is a huge potential for them to reach a larger audience.

Very good point, would they only work on the clone engine for 2 characters? It would make a lot of sense if they wanted to add at least a handful more after they complete their main target goals.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Played Earthbound and Mother 3. Both are fantastic games.

In terms of canon, Ness' baseball bat and Yoyo are weapons he actually used in Earthbound.
His hidden taunt in PM is a reference to the photo man.
As for Lucas, his stick is a weapon he actually used in Mother 3. His Up and Down smashes are most likely based on PK love, another move that was canon from Mother 3.
Lucas's up-smash is based upon pulling the seven needles throughout the game. His down-smash might be based on PK Love, but it's really hard to tell at this point.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You're crazy. The PMBR could definitely add a new character into this game, make them work, and make them complete; I mean they DESIGNED this game after all.

Also they'd be crazy not to add any new characters, why work so hard on a clone engine and stop at two characters? This is a huge potential for them to reach a larger audience.

Chill.

I can see how you guys have a lot of faith on 'em here and so on, once again, I just find this a very HUGE undertaking if to be attempted upon, and would take very long time. And even if it's subjective from my point, I still believe that Mewtwo and Roy is enough to make P:M good already without sacrificing it's quality for more controversial features (for example the all-new playables that I hope won't feel out of place or just artificial, and would please most of the community). If I remember correctly, they can't replicate everything in Brawl and their character files after all to the CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom