• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Strange how he's yet to actually make any comics about it.
He mentioned having tons of fun with Fever (or was it DS? Don't remember) in a comment on one of his comics. Even gave the series a mention in that Nintendo celebration video he made.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
this is bound to sound like an odd question but what does "Glee club" even mean?
In terms of RH? I think glee club is the minigame that the kids/men are from.

In terms of everything else:
  1. a group organized to sing short choral works, especially part-songs.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Alright, I summarized the really lengthy parts and fixed some stuff that was stupid.
Here's the gimmick I came up with.
Still really long though, and it still doesn't touch any rhythm-based stuff.

[collapse=Chorus Kid gimmick concept]
[/collapse]

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I summarized the really lengthy parts and fixed some stuff that was stupid.
Here's the gimmick I came up with.
Still really long though, and it still doesn't touch any rhythm-based stuff.

[collapse=Chorus Kid gimmick concept]
[/collapse]
I really like the idea! I think it might be more beneficial if the taunt buttons were what you used to seperate and switch control, allowing for more specials

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I really like the idea! I think it might be more beneficial if the taunt buttons were what you used to seperate and switch control, allowing for more specials
I considered that or the grab button but decided to make it a special because Smash doesn't usually throw around the inputs like that.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd also say, maybe possibly perhaps for the sake of balance, having the KO rule as follows: If the 'You' CK is killed, you die and they all disappear like Pikmin/the other Ice Climber.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'd also say, maybe possibly perhaps for the sake of balance, having the KO rule as follows: If the 'You' CK is killed, you die and they all disappear like Pikmin/the other Ice Climber.
I could definitely see it being used for stalling, yeah. Although if they're falling off the stage anyways I don't see what's keeping them from just switching to the standing Chorus Kid.

Edlocke

Smash Rookie
I actually want to see these little ********. I hope they get their three spots lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some must of pointed out that if they had trouble programming characters like IC doesn't that make the idea of all three of them being separate rather unlikely (surely someone's said this)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The thing is it's likely that they'll be hand drawn 2D like the Sneaky Spirit, which is way less demanding than a full 3D model.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Some must of pointed out that if they had trouble programming characters like IC doesn't that make the idea of all three of them being separate rather unlikely (surely someone's said this)
I was under the assumption that it was a problem with additional AI per player.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
If I'm not already on the support list, feel free to add me whenever you do the next update.

The thing is it's likely that they'll be hand drawn 2D like the Sneaky Spirit, which is way less demanding than a full 3D model.
Are we certain that Sneaky Spirit's a 2D guy? I mean, he may be a Game/Watch case, where it's a 3D model made to look 2D. (Which is still the neatest thing about G/W)

Aside from that technicality, I agree; seeing the CK as anything but glorious shaky 2D would make me sad.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Finally finished my moveset... Hope you guys like it! I spent a while brainstorming all the moves and their playstyle, not to mention their taunts and victory poses too.

The Chorus Kids are a rhythm based trio, requiring precise rhythmic button pressing and combo stringing in order to reach their true potential. Their specials involve pressing B in a 4/4 rhythm. Their other attacks can be used for combos; stringing them together in rhythm results in hard hitting attacks.

Entrance: A small stage appears on screen and the curtains part, revealing the three Chorus Kids. The third Kid is singing a long note while the other two stare at him disapprovingly.

Jab: When pressed with correct rhythm, each Chorus Kid will send a colorful note floating forward. The first three hits are small, soft notes. The final blow is a shockwave sent out by all the Kids singing at once.
Dash Attack: The Chorus Kids trip and fall. Essentially Kirby's Dash Attack from Smash 64.

Pummel: Front Chorus Kid slaps the opponent while the other two cheer him on from behind.
FThrow: Exhibition Match - The Chorus Kid throws the opponent lightly into the air as if pitching a ball to himself, following the pitch with a strong hit from a baseball bat.
UThrow: Crop Stomp - The Chorus Kid stomps on the ground, causing the opponent to be lifted slightly into the air. The Chorus Kid then grabs hold of the opponent again and throws him high up into the air.
DThrow: The opponent is thrown down on the ground and bounces back up.
BThrow: The opponent is passed back to each Chorus Kid and then thrown to the side when the end of the line is reached.

The Chorus Kids, when in the air, form a sort of wall. The Kids line up vertically and use their attacks simultaneously. This may seem very beneficial at first, but the Kids are very small to make up for it: they're about the size of one large character when lined up in the air.

Nair: Airboarder - The Chorus Kids hold on to boards under their feet and spin around once.
Fair: The Kids swing their heads forward. This can work as a meteor smash. Similar to Yoshi's Fair.
Uair: An upward kick with both feet.
Dair: The Chorus Kids spin downward. This is similar to Luigi's down aerial.
Bair: A drop kick to the back of the Kids. One of the most reliable kill moves in their moveset.

FTilt: Karate Man - A strong punch forward.
UTilt: Clappy Trio - The Kids clap above their heads.
DTilt: All of the Kids perform a low kick. Can force tripping.

FSmash: Big Rock Finish - A loud guitar riff is played by the Kids, sending a sound-wave in front of them.
USmash: Space Soccer - The Kids kick soccer balls high into the air. The move is a large disjointed hitbox, and has great vertical range.
DSmash: "Spin it Boys!' - The Kids spin around and create a small tornado surrounding them. This attack has some ending lag when the Chorus Kids stop spinning. Opponents can be sucked into the attack if close by.

NSpecial: Glee Club - The Chorus Kids strike a loud chord, sending a blue shockwave in three directions. You must press B in 4/4 rhythm for each of the Kids to join in. The first Kid sends a shockwave forward, the second in back, and the third above them. The shockwaves can form a barrier around the Chorus Kids if B is held down. Releasing the button causes the shockwaves to shoot in their respective directions.
SSpecial: Love Lab - A test tube filled with a red chemical is passed down from Kid to Kid by pressing B in 4/4 rhythm. With the first three beats, the tube is spawned and passed to the end. On the last beat, the Kid on the end tosses the tube forward, causing an effect to the victim. The effects go in a set order: Burn, Freeze, Spike. Spike in the air causes a meteor smash, and on the ground causes the opponent to be buried.
USpecial: Micro Row - The Chorus Kids squish down and charge up a boost that's direction can be changed while the boosts occur. Pressing B in time with the 4/4 beat can result in up to three boosts. This is purely for recovering purposes, as it doesn't cause any damage.
DSpecial: Tap Troupe - The Chorus Kids stomp on the ground, causing a small earthquake around their feet a la DK. To keep the quake going, B must be tapped in a syncopated 4/4 rhythm. If used in the air, Tap Troupe can result in a spike if sweet spotted.
Final Smash: DJ School - The Chorus Kids got a hold of DJ Yellow's DJ equipment, and use it to cause a big shockwave comparable to Tabuu's. One Kid is on the turntables, one is holding the mic, and the other is sitting on a speaker. One Kid scratches the records at the same time as another screams into the mic, causing said shockwave that can cause some damage, but mainly pushes the opponents off the stage.

UTaunt: The Kids "beam with pride", smiling with their hands on their hips and glowing yellow.
STaunt: The third Kid yawns and stretches, his big mouth agape. While he smacks his lips, his partners glare.
DTaunt: The third Kid makes a goofy face while the other two glare at him. He turns to them and immediately stops and gets back into position.

Winning Animations:
1. The trio runs in and sings their victory theme, striking a victorious pose when done. A crowd cheers as the Kids bow.
2. One Kid is held on the other two's shoulders and occasionally bounced, while the three smile happily.
3. The Kids "beam with pride", smiling with their hands on their hips and glowing yellow.

Losing Animation:
The third Kid claps rapidly with a huge grin on his face, while the other two glare at their energetic partner, clapping slowly and unenthusiastically.

I even linked the minigames referenced for those unfamiliar. Hopefully that helps visualize their moveset even more.

Thanks for making this thread such a success. Choir till the end!

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Well if it is hard to put Ice Climbers/Rosalina & Luma what is the chance we'll get three people?
I still imagine that they're not 3 characters with AI and whatnot. Just... a group of three dudes who act in rhythmic tandem.

*Cough CHORUS MEN/GLEE CLUB/CHORUS KIDS Cough*

I still think it will be, and prefer it to be, the chorus kids. :/
Seconding this. I REALLY dislike the way Marshal looks; if it makes sense, he actually strikes me more generic as the derpy little featureless Chorus Kids/Men.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I thought it would be worth mentioning that there are a few unused animations for the Chorus Kids in RH. Or at least, I think they are unused, as I don't remember them in-game.
They aren't super special, but I'm wondering if some of their animations may reference them... It would be interesting to see.

First, this bouncing thing. There are a couple variants, but it's basically this. And there is blinking, but it's not interesting.

There is also this color change thing. I don't really know what it was supposed to be for.

And my favorite, a happy smile thing. Taunt/win animation maybe?

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I thought it would be worth mentioning that there are a few unused animations for the Chorus Kids in RH. Or at least, I think they are unused, as I don't remember them in-game.
They aren't super special, but I'm wondering if some of their animations may reference them... It would be interesting to see.

First, this bouncing thing. There are a couple variants, but it's basically this. And there is blinking, but it's not interesting.

There is also this color change thing. I don't really know what it was supposed to be for.

And my favorite, a happy smile thing. Taunt/win animation maybe?
The first one could be their animation when the player is idle. Love it.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Quick trip to The Cutting Room Floor offered up a very, very tiny bit.

Fever for Wii.

Tengoku for GBA.
Actually I looked a bit on my own and found this.

Looks like Samurai Slice was going to feature the red mask guys from the Tengoku minigame, Remix 9 was going to have a Cheer Readers image with the girl from Tap Trial 2, and Toy Car was going to be some vegetable based thing.

PKMANZ

Smash Rookie
Seconding this. I REALLY dislike the way Marshal looks; if it makes sense, he actually strikes me more generic as the derpy little featureless Chorus Kids/Men.
I hope you realize that the only difference between Marshall's and the Chorus Men's design are those strange little bow ties they have.

In all honesty I'm still hoping that, as in previous instances, Sal Ramano was just being vague and misspelled the word Chorus Man (AKA Marshal).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope you realize that the only difference between Marshall's and the Chorus Men's design are those strange little bow ties they have.

In all honesty I'm still hoping that, as in previous instances, Sal Ramano was just being vague and misspelled the word Chorus Man (AKA Marshal).
Bow ties, blush, and fingers, really.

It likely wasn't Marshall.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Marshal's pretty boring anyway.

Chorus Kids are filled to the brim with personality and potential.
Being music based and a group dedicated to keeping the beat, they represent Rhythm Heaven better than almost anyone.

It also annoys me when people call Marshal a "mascot" or the face of the series. He's neither. I'm not saying Chorus Kids are (although they are quite recognizable and are the mascots of Rhythm Heaven DS, not necessarily the entire series), but Rhythm Heaven doesn't have a true main character; and if they did it wouldn't be Marshal, since he's only appeared in Fever at the moment. If anyone is the main character, it's probably Karate Joe, and even then he doesn't really represent the main aspects of Rhythm Heaven: music and rhythm.

D

Deleted member

Bow ties, blush, and fingers, really.

It likely wasn't Marshall.
Don't forget head shape and that Marshal (IIRC) always has his fangs showing.

And if you want to get technical, the Chorus Kids are monochrome while Marshal has color (though the single Chorus Kid in Fever's Munchy Monk had color and blush like Marshal. Doubt they will in Smash though).

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Well...
I finally sat myself down and watched the minigame itself.
I listened to the very calming background music extensively.
I watched the parodies.
And I've come to really love these guys! They have a lot of charm.
Count me as a supporter!

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Played the DS version recently and was pleased to see Glee Club was the second game. So I decided to rip their sounds.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I've been trying to find a picture of the chorus Men's Face on the Freezie Item since I saw a picture of it with them lined up next to each other but its proving to be a difficult search

Top Bottom