• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Louie G.

Smash Hero
One thing I don't understand... Why do we need three of them? There were three in the minigame, but does that really matter?
In Rhythm Heaven, many minigames revolve around groups (2, 3, 4, etc.). The Chorus Kids represent this in Smash, and as a result can have more moves revolving around rhythm and symmetry.
So would they be flat like Mr. Game and Watch, or 3d?
Probably 2D, as the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run is a 2D model.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So would they be flat like Mr. Game and Watch, or 3d?
Considering the Sneaky Spirit keeps his 2D nature, I assume the Chorus Kids/Men would too.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel like we'll probably have one Chorus Kid on screen and the other two will appear in the moveset. (Final Smash: Glee Club)

But I'd love to see how weird all three will be on screen as one character. Lol

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Really just want to see the expressions that these guys can pull off. Almost starting to think some people would warm up to them if not for the fact that the only faces anyone's seen are the straight face and the screaming one.
That's part of their charm.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Entrance Animation?
Good question.

Maybe they'll be behind a red curtain on a tiny stage, and the curtain parts to reveal the Kids who strike a chord when it opens.

There's so much potential for these little guys. Even the small details make me want them more.

OR the curtain opens and the third Kid is singing while the other two give him their glare.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What makes me most happy is the possibility of hearing that great "elevator-esque" music that they sing. It's so jazzy and campy and I love it.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Good question.

Maybe they'll be behind a red curtain on a tiny stage, and the curtain parts to reveal the Kids who strike a chord when it opens.

There's so much potential for these little guys. Even the small details make me want them more.

OR the curtain opens and the third Kid is singing while the other two give him their glare.
Already 10x better than WFT's. I was thinking maybe a spotlight flies around for a bit and the Chorus Kids appear where it lands followed by clapping noises.

There is also the Night Walk balloons but I think that is something better suited to Marshal.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There is also the Night Walk balloons but I think that is something better suited to Marshal.
I completely forgot about that.

If Chorus Kids are played off as Marshal or vice versa I could see them doing this.
There are much better options more suited for the characters in my opinion.

What about their victory pose? I was thinking maybe they come out and sing their victory jingle?
As for their losing animation, the third Kid claps while the others death stare him.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I completely forgot about that.

If Chorus Kids are played off as Marshal or vice versa I could see them doing this.
There are much better options more suited for the characters in my opinion.

What about their victory pose? I was thinking maybe they come out and sing their victory jingle?
As for their losing animation, the third Kid claps while the others death stare him.
That losing animation is perfect! If there really is only 1 victory pose this Smash then yeah the victory jingle/aahs work just fine. Maybe 2 of them hold up superb signs while one accidentally holds up a try again before flipping it around. Can't think of anything else.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Here's my botched attempt at a full Chorus Kids moveset! Do NOT judge me! It was difficult to make a rhythm-based moveset, so I did some rhythm, and some music. For once, my knowledge of music pays off!

Chorus Kids:
The three Chorus Kids attack as one unit. So, an attacks will be performed by all three kids at once. Likewise, getting hit will cause all three to take damage, knockback, etc. Unlike Nana and Popo, the three cannot be separated. So they will be together, since, as said, they act like one cohesive unit.

Ground Moves:

Neutral A Combo: Belt it Out- The Chorus Kids simply belt out a small flurry of notes out of their mouths. A final finisher will be a larger note that strikes the opponent away.
Side Tilt: Jazz Hands- The Chorus Kids smack their hands to the side, producing stars that strike the opponent. For reference:
Down Tilt: Tap Troupe- The kids tap their feet all at once, creating a very small rhythmic shockwave below/in front of them.​
Up Tilt: Swing- The kids swing their arms above them, not unlike Zelda's Up Tilt. Opponents will get trapped in a 2-hit combo.
Side Smash: Pulse- A three hit combo attack, the Kids "sing" one by one in a rhythmic pattern. Knockback on final hit.
Down Smash: Decrescendo- Fully charged, musical notes smash downwards to the ground around them.
Up Smash: Crescendo- Fully charged, musical notes beam up around them.
Dash: Tempo- The three kids rush forward, picking up the pace of their rhythm, and roll together into the opponent.

Aerials:

Neutral Air: Mezzo- Musical notes course around the Kids, hitting anyone in contact.
Forward Air: Treble- Smacks the opponent with a Treble Clef. Sweetspotted gives good horizontal knockback.
Back Air: Treble- Smacks the opponent with another Treble Clef. Sweetspotted gives good horizontal knockback.
Up Air: Sharp- Raises the pitch, the note flies up into the air, hitting anyone in contact.
Down Air: Flat- Lowers the pitch, the notes descends to the ground, hitting anyone will spike them.

Specials:

Neutral B: Glee Club- A chargeable short-range attack. Hold B to activate the first singer, who will begin to do the traditional "song", followed by the second singer, and finally, the third, until the trio is fully charged. Fully charged, the attack can be stored until later use. Press B once fully charged, and the trio will release a vibration of musical energy around them. If fully charged, it does great vertical knockback, and has a hitbox surrounding them completely. If the B button is released before the charging period is up, the players will just attack with the amount of power they have from the song. (Like Shield Breaker, but a damaging wave of energy that attacks all around the boys)
Side B: Samurai Slice- The Kids conjure up samurai swords. With one press of the side-B, they can do one clean-cut slash. However, building up the side-B will result in a flurry of attacks, dealing decent knockback at the end.
Up B: The Dazzles- The Kids crouch down. After letting go, they jump up. Pressing Up-B in rhythm allows them to continue to jump up three times, which each jump gaining move vertical distance.
Down B: Splashdown- The kids dive into water by pressing Down B. Press it again and the kids will splash up, attacking enemies above them. Once underwater, the kids can control the pool of water, moving it across the stage. After a few seconds, of course, the kids will pop back up automatically.

Final Smash: Go for a Perfect!- The Three Boys get together on a stage and begin to sing. Once singing, large musical notes will appear and begin to fly across the stage, attacking all opponents. If you can keep the rhythm, indicated by a bar much like DK's improved Final Smash, you will be rewarded with faster and more powerful musical notes that bounce around the screen.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
So much POTENTIAL

Also, do you guys think we'd get them in a smash related direct (if there will be one) or in a regular direct along with the announcement of a new rhythm heaven?
Whatever the August direct happens to be.
Anything can happen though.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but what do you guys think Kirby would look like after inhaling the Chorus Kids? Do you think Kirby would actuallybhave then face of a chorus kid, or would he maybe just wear a hat fashioned to look like one?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I see it working better as a victory pose.

Reporter: Wabudabuda is that true?
Chorus Kids: AAAAAAH!
That actually gives me an idea where all their victory poses has other rhythm heaven characters appear.

So one has the reporter, one has DJ Yellow (SCRATCH-O, HEY) and one has the fat yellow guy from Space Dance (pu-pu-pu-PUNCH)
Just as an example, using reference from all three games.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but what do you guys think Kirby would look like after inhaling the Chorus Kids? Do you think Kirby would actuallybhave then face of a chorus kid, or would he maybe just wear a hat fashioned to look like one?
I can see Kirby truning white and wearing a bowtie, pretty much just like @Tr1pleDee 's avatar. haha

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He should get the bowtie.

Wizela

Smash Rookie
Here's a moveset I whipped up for Marshall as a solo character. Even if it's not the "Chorus Kids/Men", I think it's a pretty good representation of the Rhythm Heaven series as a whole.
Marshall

Weight: 2/5
Height: 2/5
Speed: 3/5
Jump: 2.5/5
Power: 1.5/5
Range: 4/5
Throw: 3/5

(Marshall has a numbered counter above his Player Icon called the Beat Counter. For every hit Marshall connects with, the number goes up by 1. If Marshall completely misses with a move, the Beat Counter decreases by 3. If Marshall hits a shielded opponent, the Beat Counter does not drop or go up. The Beat Counter is reset when Marshall is KOed.)

Neutral B – Big Rock Finish – Marshall pulls out an electric guitar and plays a single, loud note on it that creates a powerful shockwave. This attack's knockback is determined by the Beat Counter. The amount of % inflicted is equal to the number of beats on the Beat Counter when used. After being used, the Beat Counter returns to zero.

0 Beats – Marshall tries to play the guitar, but the sound doesn't come out quite right, and Marshall makes a disappointed look, leaving him vulnerable.
1-4 Beats – The shockwave has low knockback, akin to an jab.
5-9 Beats – The shockwave has moderate knocback, akin to an F-tilt.
10-14 Beats – The shockwave has good knockback, akin to a Smash.
15-19 Beats – The shockwave has great knockback, akin to a fully charged Smash.
20+ Beats – The shockwave has excellent knockback, akin to a Bob-Omb.

Forward B – Built to Scale – Marshall throws a widget which homes in on opponents. The size and homing ability of the widget increases based on the Beat Counter, on the same scale as Big Rock Finish, but the attack has poor knockback and damage. If the Beat Counter is frozen, this attack does not reset the Beat Counter. 1-5 hits.

Up B – Launch Party – Marshall grabs onto a rocket that flies up into the sky and explodes into fireworks. This attack can be ended prematurely by pressing B. The Beat Counter is reset to zero after being used.

0 Beats – Marshall grabs onto a grey, oddly shaped rocket that does not travel very far and cannot turn.
1-4 Beats – Marshall grabs onto a red rocket ship that travels somewhat far and can turn up to thirty degrees.
5-9 Beats – Marshall grabs onto a blue party-hat shaped rocket that travels fairly far and can turn up to forty-five degrees.
10-14 Beats – Marshall grabs onto a green bell-shaped rocket that travels very far and can turn up to ninety degrees.
15+ Beats – Marshall grabs onto all four rockets at once, allowing him to move freely in any direction he desires, finishing with a very powerful firework explosion.

Down B – Scratch-O – A turn-table appears in front of Marshall, causing him to either scratch the record and stop it, or spin the record to make it resume. Stopping the record will freeze the Beat Counter until either Big Rock Finish or Launch Party is used, which will deplete the Beat Counter back to zero. Resuming the record will un-freeze the Beat Counter, and also serves as an 2-hit close range attack that ends in a relatively large shockwave. If Marshall's Beat Counter is at zero, he will do this attack instead of stopping the record. Does not drop the Beat Counter.

Jab – Space Punch – Marshall punches with his right fist. 1-hit.
Jab Combo – Karate Joe Combo – Marshall follows up quickly with a two punches, a kick, another punch, and an uppercut. 6-hit.
Dash A – Night Roll – Marshall rolls into a ball and runs into the enemy, then jumps into an uppercut. 4-hit.

Forward Tilt – Ninja Slice – Marshall slashes forward with a pair of yellow daggers. 3-hit.
Up Tilt – Glee Scream – Marshall screams loudly, causing his head to expand upwards. Good knockback. 1-hit.
Down Tilt – Crop Stomp – Marshall stomps the ground hard with one foot, and then swings upwards with his hands. Good knockback. 2-hit.

(Charging Marshall's Smash attacks can add 1-3 hits to them, along with more damage.)
Forward Smash – Samurai Storm – Marshall swings a katana wildly in front of him, then finishing with a strong slash. 6-hit.
Up Smash – Cheer Routine – Marshall spins a black and white book above his head before opening it to a random page. 5-hit.
Down Smash – Board Meeting – Marshall spins in place for a second with his arms extended, then stops himself by kicking the ground. 7-hit.

Neutral Aerial – Flipper Roll – Marshall does a cartwheel in midair, damaging anything in contact with him. 5-hit.
Forward Aerial – Tambourine – Marshall pulls out a tambourine and slaps it rhythmically. Last hit has a slightly bigger range. 3-hit.
Back Aerial – Shrimp Shuffle – Marshall bends towards his head towards his legs and lunges backwards. Good knockback. 1-hit.
Up Aerial – Clappy Trio – Marshall claps his hands together above his head in rhythm. Last hit has a slightly bigger range. 3-hit.
Down Aerial – Power Calligraphy – Marshall swings a paintbrush below himself. 1-hit. Meteor Spike.

Ground Attack – Breakdance – Marshall recovers from the ground by stylishly breakdancing to his feet. 4 hits. Does not drop the Beat Counter.
Ledge Attack – Great Bird Call Strike – Marshall leaps up onto the stage and spikes his hand down as he flies upwards. 1 hit. Meteor Spike. Does not drop the Beat Counter.

Grab – Pest Catcher – Marshall grabs the opponent in both hands like a piece of candy.
Grab Combo – Blue Bird Peck – Marshall headbutts the opponent he is holding. 1-hit.
Forward Throw – Wrestle Pitch – Marshall lifts the opponent over his head and then hurls them forward. 2-hit.
Back Throw – Lockstep – Marshall strikes the Lockstep pose four times with opponent in hand before reversing his direction and launching his opponent (on the last hit, Marshall's color scheme is reversed). 5-hit.
Up Throw – Flockstep – Marshall crouches down, then jumps up into the air and throws the opponent up into the air. 2-hit.
Down Throw – Tap Dancer – Marshall throws the opponent on the ground and them tap dances on top of them before stomping with both feet. 5-hit.

Up Taunt – Marshall performs a short tap-dancing routine.
Down Taunt – Marshall flexes his non-existent muscles like a wrestler.
Side Taunt – Marshall screams like he does while using Glee Scream.

Victory Pose A – Marshall performs the Big Rock Finish from Rhythm Heaven DS.
Victory Pose B – Marshall does a back flip, then slides forward on his knees doing jazz hands.
Victory Pose C – Marshall appears on a drumset, playing a drumroll before his name is announced, followed by a cymbal strike.

Costumes – White with black bow-tie. Light red with red bow-tie. Light blue with a blue bow-tie. Light green with a green bow-tie. Light yellow with purple bow-tie. Space Dance costume.

Entrance – Marshall floats in on a set of balloons from the beginning of Night Walk.

Idle Animation – Marshall will snap his fingers in rhythm with the music, do a little jig on the spot or wave a conductor's baton around.

Final Smash – Rhythm Orchestra

When activated, Marshall dons a fancy suit that makes him look like a conductor, complete with a conductor's baton. While Marshall is in this outfit, he has complete super armor. This Final Smash changes Marshall's B attacks.

B - Glee Choir - Two additional Marshalls appear at Marshall's sides, and the three sing a loud note together, creating a sonic shockwave at about the distance of DK's Donkey Konga.
B Left - Wind Section - A large ensemble of flutes and clarinets appear on the right side of the screen, taking up approx. 30% of the screen. All the instruments are played together, creating shockwaves that launch the player to the left.
B Right - Brass Section - A large ensemble of trumpets and tubas appear on the left side of the screen, taking up approx. 30% of the screen. All the horns are blown together, creating shockwaves that launch the players to the right.
Up B - Percussion Section - A large ensemble of drums and floating drumsticks appear at the bottom of the screen, taking up approx. 30% of the screen. All the drums are struck together, creating shockwaves that launch the players upwards.
Down B - String Section - A large ensemble of violins and guitars appears at the top of the screen, taking up approx. 30% of the screen. The instruments all play simultaneously, creating shockwaves that launch the players downwards.

This Final Smash lasts for approximately 15 seconds, and ends with Marshall taking a bow and receiving applause and flowers (equal to the number of hits he got during the FS), before returning to normal. If Marshall fails to hit anyone, the audience boos and tomatoes are thrown at Marshall as he makes a sad face, leaving him vulnerable. A word appears above Marshall's head to show how he did.

0-2 Hits - Try Again...
3-6 Hits - OK.
7+ Hits - Superb!

During this attack, the Beat Counter cannot decrease, and the Beat Counter will increase by 1 for each successful hit. If this Final Smash ends with Marshall getting a "Try Again" rating, the Beat Counter is reset.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I see it working better as a victory pose.

Reporter: Wabudabuda is that true?
Chorus Kids: AAAAAAH!
Then feedback bursts from around the mic, causing the reporter to duck and cover her ears, wincing!

He should get the bowtie.
I was thinking give him a bowtie and maybe their cat-like muzzle to make the difference more apparent. Hopefully it's not like the chopjob done to most of the newcomers' Kirby hats.

Anyways, just thought I'd say that if the Chorus Kids turns out to be a solo character like Marshall, or that all three kids' move together even within moves, I'll be extremely disappointed. Hell, I might even grow an odium towards such a waste of potential. Sakurai and his designers are some of the most visionary devs around when it comes to inventing to character playstyles. I don't want to hear any "too hard/Ridley" bull**** from their front. The way they work their asses off for us is very admirable, and you could certainly get a faithful Chorus Kids done with that ethic and time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This thread is becoming difficult for me

because I am starting to expect these cute little guys.

I certainly want them more than Shulk or ....Chrom

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Anyways, just thought I'd say that if the Chorus Kids turns out to be a solo character like Marshall, or that all three kids' move together even within moves, I'll be extremely disappointed. Hell, I might even grow an odium towards such a waste of potential. Sakurai and his designers are some of the most visionary devs around when it comes to inventing to character playstyles. I don't want to hear any "too hard/Ridley" bull**** from their front. The way they work their ***** off for us is very admirable, and you could certainly get a faithful Chorus Kids done with that ethic and time.
I couldn't agree more.
For me it's a trio or nothing. Anything else would be pretty disappointing and the Kids wouldn't even be worth adding.

Nice moveset @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous ! I like all the references to musical notes and the like.

@ W Wizela , your moveset is great too.
However, and I should put this in the OP, I would like the Marshal talk in this thread to be minimal.
The Chorus Kids are not Marshal, and they are capable of many things that Marshal cannot do.
Marshal has his own thread that people may be interested in checking out.

@GoldenYuiitusin
I'm not including Ringside in my moveset either, because I'm banking on a Reporter & Wrestler Assist Trophy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It was hard to come up with a rhythm-based moveset. Any suggestions?
It's a lot easier after playing Rhythm Heaven (Have you yet? You should definitely give it a shot).
You then become acquainted with the minigames and the rhythm mechanics from the game, making it easier to think of some of these games as attacks.

Taking minigames from Rhythm Heaven and translating them into specials is the best way to keep the rhythm aspect alive.
You did this a bit, so nice job, but I would imagine them having more of an emphasis on rhythm and precise button timing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
But rhythm based move set... to me, means skill. Apply with rhythm
And the move set cannot be to a rhythm or it becomes predictable.
As much as my initial conception of rhythm based move set was fun, it cannot work where you move in rhythm.
Yet I have faith it could be applied in other ways, more unique as a character foundation than just mini-game based moves.

Though the question must be asked- shouldn't DK's final smash have been changed no matter what if Chrous Kids were in and had a Rhythm based one? I suppose it could be different.

Wizela

Smash Rookie
@ W Wizela , your moveset is great too.
However, and I should put this in the OP, I would like the Marshal talk in this thread to be minimal.
The Chorus Kids are not Marshal, and they are capable of many things that Marshal cannot do.
Marshal has his own thread that people may be interested in checking out.
I tried to incorporate the Chorus Kids a few times in the moveset, but was just aiming to incorporate as much Rhythm Heaven in it as possible. You could probably just tweak it a bit.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even if we have the Chorus Men already, if we were to get a second Rhythm Heaven character, who would you want it to be?
I would like Wrestler or Karate Joe.

Joe makes a little more sense to represent the series, appearing in every game, but Wrestler is memetic and already has a big Internet following.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Even if we have the Chorus Men already, if we were to get a second Rhythm Heaven character, who would you want it to be?
Well..........
or........
or simply just............
and maybe even.........
I've got others I'd want, but these are probably my top 3. (4, I guess if you want to count Marshal all by himself.)

Top Bottom