• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Challenge is great and all, but it gets redundant. Some of the "hardest" games ever made are simply boring because of game mechanics. Not saying GX is bad, quite the opposite, but the challenge/skill argument only goes so far.

Basically saying there are other reasons why GX is so godlike, the skill/challenge is just icing on the cake to give it extra depth and make you want to try to perfect it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well the story was nice, learning about Falcon and his rivals.. the graphics were nice, the tracks were cool, the music was epic. That's good enough for you? lol.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Well the story was nice
the final battle is falcon racing inside the championship belt against the championship belt itself and the championship belt is the prize. The story is hilarious.

Music is amazing and the gameplay is insane.

Also, cosmo I just beat all the staff ghosts and ended up beating you & darkeye on 4 tracks. Watch out.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
alright, haven't been to this thread in a while and let's see wh......

There's discussion about racing on the 64/Gamecube? SUBSCRIBED!!!!!

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm super considering writing something (a windows form?) to compile the PR data. To like save the headache of doing it by hand. Anyone have suggestions or advice?

I'm gonna research xml (I don't know it; tio files got them xml tags.) Also I haven't created a database before or done much with that before. This would be a lot of new territory - any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah if you want help lmk. I don't really understand what you want to do exactly, though. Hit me up on skype. I think SSBPD makes our job a lot easier as is

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm super considering writing something (a windows form?) to compile the PR data. To like save the headache of doing it by hand. Anyone have suggestions or advice?

I'm gonna research xml (I don't know it; tio files got them xml tags.) Also I haven't created a database before or done much with that before. This would be a lot of new territory - any advice or direction would be appreciated.
If you want to go by hand I suggest using this to award points:

1st - 40
2nd - 30
3rd - 20
4th - 10
5/5th - 5
7/7th - 2

Top 8 get points toward a ranking. You can use previous tournament results to build a list pretty much immediately.

edit: I missed the part about not wanting to do it by hand. I have no other suggestion here. Sorry 'bout that.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok, not going to make that database.

ssbpd.com totally has what the PR is looking for. (Player vs Player Match results) If results are missing we can just upload them or recreate the tio file from an image or something.

Thanks the suggestion sveet.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah, I was gonna say... why don't you just use SSBPD. Make a list of everyone's notable wins/losses from the past ranking period and you're pretty much good to go.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
What's the big deal about paying online? I hear people complain about it all the time but I don't understand; it's more convenient for attendees who no longer have to bring cash to the tourney, AND it's more convenient for TOs who can pay off a lot of the costs before the tourney.

Meneks

Smash Lord
Not everyone has a bank account,
not everyone has their OWN bank account.

Yes its convenient for us, but not many people have access to that convenience

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
like who? do you cash your paychecks and keep it in a piggy bank? If so, go to walgreens and buy a visa giftcard with however much and use that to buy stuff online.

Meneks

Smash Lord
Idk, the people complaining?
I have both a job and a card.

Some people have neither, remember 14-17 age group still exists, so they might not have access to a card.. I was 19 when I FIRST opened a bank account lol.

Is it mandatory to pay for FC online, or just an option?

If its an option then I don't see the big deal

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
how do you guys feel about SMYM 14 occurring sometime mid to late September? FC is mid august, and AFAIK The Big House 2 would be late october...

quickedit: I'm not too worried about attendance possibly dropping since we'd be sandwiched between two large regionals/semi-nationals. As long as enough people can attend for us to be able to pay back the venue fee. I guess I could run it under a different name besides SMYM if that might ruin the prestige/implied-size of the tournament series.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
bert, I'm actually still deciding between October 6-7 and October 27-28. Believe it or not, I think the Halloween parties on the latter weekend might take away a good 10-15 attendees, especially in a city like Ann Arbor, so I'm leaning towards avoiding that. I think you should do something after RoM 5.

Top Bottom