• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

16LetterUsername

Smash Rookie
Yo, so, I'm kinda new here.

So, i see most of these videos seem to be used with capture cards...

...so, all of you have capture cards??? Or are you recording some other way?

i am currently trying to think of some ingenius revolutionary way to feed my TVs output into some type of recording device. Doing so with audio would be a piece of cake. But video is a different story.

All i have to work with is a laptop with an HDMI port...i wonder if i could configure something with it...

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77

I record mine with a Dazzle capture card. Not HD though.
Well before the new update ruins these replays I thought I'd make a montage of some of the best moments I've had playing as Charizard :4charizard: on 1 on 1. Some of them great combos I've learned from other Zard players as well as myself.
Sorry for the quality its the best I have. Hope you enjoy.
:006::charizard:
https://youtu.be/0NLPRtzATp8

AcePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
UltimaPikachu
3DS FC
4270-1808-1129
Are there any kill set ups anyone knows of? I find it difficult to land a kill hit move and rely on down throw a lot.

Last edited:

AcePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
UltimaPikachu
3DS FC
4270-1808-1129
I record mine with a Dazzle capture card. Not HD though.
Well before the new update ruins these replays I thought I'd make a montage of some of the best moments I've had playing as Charizard :4charizard: on 1 on 1. Some of them great combos I've learned from other Zard players as well as myself.
Sorry for the quality its the best I have. Hope you enjoy.
:006::charizard:
https://youtu.be/0NLPRtzATp8
Nice choice of music! :) You also seem to land the spikes often, any tips how?

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
Nice choice of music! :) You also seem to land the spikes often, any tips how?
A few of these are just luck, but basically catching them off guard and/or predicting their movements offstage is the basis.

The one at 1:46 is probably the easiest. Most people fall for it (including me sometimes). Just run off right to where they are falling to and spike.

Nair/Fair to spike offstage is also another one that falls into place often. Just make sure to save one of your jumps for the spike.

One I picked up from Bloodcross, 00:47, is nair to run offstage to spike. Though that one is more situational.

Just practice and get the feeling of when you can spike them.

I have started streaming. Whenever I play at home I will most likely be streaming so make sure to follow me: http://www.twitch.tv/lzzzr
Cool! I probably drop in sometime.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
Yo, so, I'm kinda new here.

i am currently trying to think of some ingenius revolutionary way to feed my TVs output into some type of recording device. Doing so with audio would be a piece of cake. But video is a different story.

All i have to work with is a laptop with an HDMI port...i wonder if i could configure something with it...
The laptop's HDMI won't help much, but I'll tell you what I did.

First, save all your favorite replays on the Wii U - after a match there's an option to save a replay. For capturing to the computer, I use an Elgato game capture (you can probably use whatever capture device you like), and the Wii U gamepad. I put the Wii U by my computer, connected it to the Elgato with an HDMI, then connected the Elgato to my computer with USB. The Elgato has software you can download from their website. Open the software on the computer and it starts to read whatever is coming from the console. Then, using the gamepad, I replay my replays. Whatever is shown on the gamepad is fed into the Elgato software on the computer, and I can record it to my hard drive, then put on youtube. The Wii U gamepad works great here and for some other games because you don't need a TV.

Long-winded I know, but better to be detailed than say nothing at all. Get crackin', newbie!

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
The Shooting Star Project III [Shattering Of The Asteroids Mix]
Me (Charizard) VS. Flippy456 (Rosalina & Luma)

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Are there any kill set ups anyone knows of? I find it difficult to land a kill hit move and rely on down throw a lot.
Kinda depends what percent the opponent is at. But once you get to kill percent with Charizard nothing is guaranteed. If you AC a sour spot Nair and send the opponent offstage, you can get it to follow up into a Dair (also Fair) extremely well at mid percents which will get you a kill. But once you get to high percents you kinda gotta do whatever works for you. I've seen people Uthrow tech chase into a sweetspotted Bair (very airdodge-able though). I personally try to bait airdodges close to the ground with empty short hops or fast fall'd full hops and then punish with Utilt or Usmash. If you're playing against someone with subpar recovery (Link, Mario, Bowser, Ganon, Captain Falcon, the list goes on), you can Dthrow from midstage at kill percent or Dthrow by the ledge at mid to high percent to force them to recover predictably which can set up an easy Dair. Dtilt at kill percent by the ledge can do the same thing and set up an easier Dair because of the great horizontal knockback. The very tip of Fsmash also generally reaches below the lip of the stage just enough to hit players recovering horizontally and you can set that up with a lot of things. Ledge trumping can lead into free Dsmashes or Ftilts if you read it well (you may have to buffer the Dsmash before they grab ledge a second time). Jab 2 to Fly also works pretty well I've heard but I can't seem to ever get it to true combo in training (is it even supposed to do that?).

That's about all I got.

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Hey! My name is william from DR (Dominican Republic) and im new to the forums. I got 2nd place at smash tournament here in DR with some pretty good matches recorded, I thought if anyone would be interested in checking these matches and giving an opinion or critic to help my gameplay, i would gladly appreciate it ^^

The matches might present some Lag spikes often, im truly sorry, but the matches can be watched.

1st match

http://www.twitch.tv/crimsonmoonking/b/651598857

William vs Luiman20 - match starts at 1:00:20

Losers semis and losers finals (my other matches were played ofo stream until these finals)

http://www.twitch.tv/crimsonmoonking/b/651781743

William vs Keekay (losers semis)

William vs Dr Ray (losers finals) probably my best set

GFs wasnt able to be recorded do to some streaming issues u_u

I hope you guys enjoy my charizard! The best in DR!

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
@ Chrisgopher Chrisgopher There were some things I really liked and others that I'd like to see more of. You certainly have a different take on Charizard that I am not used to seeing.
Landing with Dair is well... interesting I guess. It seemed to be working for you pretty well in the games against Villager and Lucario but if anybody just kinda chills in shield and waits for you to botch the AC (which also happened a bit there) you should be eating a pretty hefty punish. At 1:30 against Lucario the Lucario rolled away from the Dair instead of shielding it and tried to punish with Fsmash instead of Ftilt/Dtilt. Ftilt probably would have hit you during the lag and shield to Utilt definitely should have caught you during lag. There were times where your botched AC got punished and there were other times where you nailed the AC and rolled away from attempted punishes (see 0:23 against DHD). The latter was the part I really liked. A lot of people swear by AC Nair so it's nice to see something new, granted AC Nair is probably the better landing option to begin with since it's generally safer than AC Dair on shield. There were also a few AC Uairs so kudos for that too. I also always like to see judicious use of Rock Smash and Flare Blitz so those parts of your game were good too.

You seemed to have a good grasp of Charizard's bread and butter moves at low percents aside from grabs (particularly Bthrow) and tilts. Those are things you should try to work in but the jabs and flamethrower options worked out great.

Also, quick side note against projectile based characters, your shield is your best friend. The 'Zard isn't too mobile in the air so you don't really get a whole lot closer to your opponent when you hop projectiles but it can be a nice mixup at times (see the fast falled empty hop to Ftilt at 0:46 against DHD). Duck Hunt Dog and Villager hate it when we get close since Charizard pretty thoroughly outranges them with tilts, jabs, and grabs. It's just getting there can be hard for the 'Zard.

As much as I hate to see a fellow Charizard get two stocked by ZSS, it's actually really great that you uploaded that. It shows you exactly what's safe, what isn't safe, and the kind of punishes you can expect to take when you commit to a laggy option against a more competent player. Nairs that don't AC can be punished. A missed Fsmash can lose you a stock (seriously though, don't do that at low percent unless you're certain it will hit). Not recovering to the ledge can cause you to eat a charged paralyzer and force you to attempt to recover after another Dthrow string. These are the things you gotta be able to avoid before you can make the absolute best of an at least somewhat 'bad' character. 'Zard is the kind of character that you have to play very safely against another character and player that has the tools to make light of his weight (lol). Some people punish with dash attack when they could have also punished with Dsmash -> Uspecial. When you play someone who is capable of the latter punish, you have to play that much safer with Charizard.

In terms of how you played those MUs, I've found it much easier to shield projectiles in order to get close enough to damage projectile-heavy characters. Fast fall at weird times offstage to avoid Aura Spheres. Shield paralyzers and do your best to spot dodge the tether grab. Mash airdodge during combos. Try to DI out of the ZSS Uspecial.

Generally speaking, work in more shielding, grabbing, tilting, and learn AC Nair/Fair. Also recover to the ledge.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
Thanks bro. I'll try to work on those things. Couple questions though.
- What do you mean by AC?
- Whats so special about Charizard's back throw? I thought you wanted to use up throw for the damage. The back throw doesn't have much KO power.
- What do you recommend in a situation where you are being vertically juggled, like that ZSS did to me?

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
No problem man.

AC is short for auto cancel. An aerial auto cancels when you are able to immediately act upon touching the ground (you have no landing lag). If you want an example, try a short hop and immediately input a Nair. Hold shield when you touch the ground. Now try the same thing with a Bair. Notice how much longer the shield takes to come out when you use Bair? That's because Bair won't AC out of a short hop.

Charizard has pretty good follow ups out of Bthrow (sometimes true combos if the opponent DIs poorly) at 0% because of the way Charizard recovers from the Bthrow animation. Go into training and Bthrow the CPU. Hold shield as soon as the animation starts and you'll notice it comes out very quick. Using Bthrow can help you get from 0%-~20% (depending on move staleness) off of one grab. Uthrow is better in terms of sheer percentage but you can derive better stage control from a F/Bthrow a little more consistently (and maybe even a follow up from Bthrow if they're at 0%).

Especially when you have reason to believe your opponent won't ledge trump you, your go to option for that should be grabbing the ledge and trying to reset to neutral. You can also try to armor through things with Rock Smash and use an AC Nair to cover your landing. Definitely don't do anything that will give you landing lag (like those Bairs you used so close to the ground) and expose yourself to another juggle unless you're 100% sure you will hit them. Otherwise you need to try to DI and air dodge the Uairs like you would with any other character.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
So I made a short (1:15) 3DS For Glory Charizard video. Wish I had a capture card right about now but those things are damned expensive on 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMVCHSqf30 (use 720p)

Recorded with: Potato Simulator 2015 iPhone 4
Edited with: iPhone 4 and Youtube Editor

1.0.6 hasn't been out very long so I've mostly got Dairs and Uthrow/tilt shenanigans saved at the moment. I'd like to work in the AC Fair -> AC Fair and Nair -> Dair strings that have been coming up in previous videos too though. Any tips on setting up those strings and recognizing when they can work? Does anybody know of any good low to mid percent Utilt setups?

Also, if I make another one of these at some point in the future, should I keep the percents on the bottom screen or focus the camera solely on the top screen?

All feedback is appreciated.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Don't Submerge My Tail Flame

The Three Smash Attacks

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Here's a set from my last local. I lost but still played well during it, plus it shows off that flamethrower denial set-up I was talking about in the techs thread.

Any advice about my Charizard play would be appreciated.

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Played against LiquidKen in a bo3. Used Charizard in game 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Well, well, well. Hey we just fought on for glory. Great Charizard btw. Especially against Ken.
You destroyed me though. Nice to know you play Zard and weren't just styling on me lol

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
I don't usually play Zard in bracket, but due to the recent buffs and practice I've put into him from before I decided to try him out.
This won't be the last time though, I have much confidence for this character.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
So at the Oregon SHFFL tournament M2K was there, and went Charizard during Grand Finals. The games with Zard start at 9:20.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Eh. I actually don't like all the attention Charizard is getting. But at least the new players are pretty weak Zards. Mew2King included.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
So at the Oregon SHFFL tournament M2K was there, and went Charizard during Grand Finals. The games with Zard start at 9:20.

This explains why people have been using "too OP" tags against me on For Glory when I use Charizard. =\

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Eh. I actually don't like all the attention Charizard is getting. But at least the new players are pretty weak Zards. Mew2King included.
Agreed. Mew2King Zard is meh. He doesn't Jab at all dafuq?

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850

Not even a Rock Smash, Rock Hurl, Jab or N.air? Way to make Sheik look more OP, M2K. Then again, what's he supposed to do when that overly fast Sheik is waiting for him hanging on a ledge? Seemed to be no safe options for getting up, unless you climb the basic way with invincibility and evade from there. Is that still a possibility?

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Even though his Zard game wasn't as strong as someone who mains Zard, it still shows M2K's base skills are on point. Just a little knowledge on Zard play could probably put M2K above the competition. My only worry is that the attention that M2K is bringing might end up bringing around some nerfs that are actually substantial.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Help fellow lizards savvy friends. Popping in to show off a little montage I made for Zard. Nothing incredibly fancy, just some nice plays here and there I guess. All done vs friends of mine who are all tournament level players.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Hello Charbros. Here is loser's finals from a recent tournament

off the top of my head, i need to do a better job avoiding dair and picking duck hunt was a mistake. and the fly at the end of game 2 was definitely dragon rush lol. this is definitely not an easy matchup but i did much better against this yoshi than i usually do. would appreciate any other tips you guys can offer, and hope you all can also learn something from my play.

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Hello Charbros. Here is loser's finals from a recent tournament

off the top of my head, i need to do a better job avoiding dair and picking duck hunt was a mistake. and the fly at the end of game 2 was definitely dragon rush lol. this is definitely not an easy matchup but i did much better against this yoshi than i usually do. would appreciate any other tips you guys can offer, and hope you all can also learn something from my play.
That was one lame Yoshi, not skill wise but in terms of his play style. You played good though. The only advice I can give is not to rely on grab too much, you whiffed a few. For example during the Duck Hunt game you managed to successfully dash towards Yoshi at kill percents a couple of times but he'd just jump over you, I was kinda waiting for you to do an Up Smash.
Also try experimenting more with Jab 2 follow ups, pre-patch I wouldn't recommended this but now since Jab pulls them in you can follow up more reliably. Not sure what the best follow up would be for Yoshi though since his armour jump would probably let him jump out of a Up Smash or Up B follow up and his N-Air may be fast enough to interrupt a grab or Down Smash follow up. Not 100% sure on this though, I need to experiment with it but I think atm Jab 2 to grab might be the best follow up.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
The thread title should be changed since the Charizard video is the only thing immediately Charizard related. Thank you, though. :4charizard:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm gonna move this to the video thread instead of it being it's own thread.

edit: Curious why he is playing Zard as much as he is.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
He says he likes the character a lot. These are online matches though, Zard is OP when you can't respond to his stuff as quickly as you should. It looks like he is getting a lot more comfortable, at least.

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
Can anyone suggest some channels for Up to date charizard gameplay? as in from the most recent patch. I'm quickly trying to absorb charizard combos/movement/gameplay as a whole and need videos to fuel the developing zard since i don't have the game to practice on my own.

Top Bottom