• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Palette Swap Thread

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That would be a color swap, not an alt costume, since it has no different features besides the color.

As I said before, I really hope Sakurai gives all the Pokémon their shiny forms as color swaps.
Well, technically they used Shiny Pikachu, when he's wearing Red's hat. Same goes for Jigglypuff, since there's color swap that's purple and has green eyes. That said, black and red Charizard would be hype. Same for black Greninja.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, technically they used Shiny Pikachu, when he's wearing Red's hat. Same goes for Jigglypuff, since there's color swap that's purple and has green eyes. That said, black and red Charizard would be hype. Same for black Greninja.
And green Mewtwo I guess.....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And green Mewtwo I guess.....
Oh yeah. I forgot about that one. We still don't have Shiny Lucario though, so maybe we'll see that now too. Out of all the characters, Lucario needs more varied color swaps the most.

Still, Charizard and the other Pokemon would really cool with varied colors anyway.

Dustination

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dustination
3DS FC
5215-1019-9015
What you guys aren't realizing is that is Sakurai wanted to put in Flygon or Dragonite, he'd do it.
(Well it's a little more complicated than that but you get what I mean.)
It's called an alternate COSTUME, not an alternate CHARACTER.
Charizard Flygon
Charizard ≠ Dragonite

A costume would be something, like previously discussed, an official form of Charizard or some type of vanity item.
Keyword, an official form of Charizard.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
What you guys aren't realizing is that is Sakurai wanted to put in Flygon or Dragonite, he'd do it.
(Well it's a little more complicated than that but you get what I mean.)
It's called an alternate COSTUME, not an alternate CHARACTER.
Charizard Flygon
Charizard ≠ Dragonite

A costume would be something, like previously discussed, an official form of Charizard or some type of vanity item.
Keyword, an official form of Charizard.
Oh, you still exist.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
The only obvious costumes are Shiny Charizard and Ridley!
Best troll costume ever. "We heard you want Ridley. So have a Carizard we dressed up to look like him instead."

Give him some hats like Pikachu and Jigglypuff. And when I say that, I mean give him a Top Hat. Finish it off with a bow-tie, monocle and mustache.
I want that gentleman Charizard now.

Phoenixian_Majesty

Smash Rookie
The hats and monocles aren't even that far fetched. Pretty sure I dressed my 'Zard like that up for a competition in one pokemon game.

D

Deleted Member

Greninja appears to have a black color, but is not actually shiny. I kind of doubt Charizard will get his Shiny colors, as to avoid confusion with Mega Charizard X from a quick glance. Example being if Shiny Charizard and another Charizard were on the field, and non-shiny got the Smash Ball, which would make it turn black. t's true they don't look the same, but the general reaction for the other players would be "avoid the black Charizard".

Then again, MCX also gets blue flames/body, so it might not be a huge problem. But then again, Greninja appears to have not gotten a shiny....

EDIT: Forgot "not" in the last sentence. >_<

Last edited by a moderator:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Obviously characters aside from the obvious are off limits. I mean the only pass is villager and mii fighters, cause thats what they are is mix-em-ups. Shiny Charizard should be a palette, not a costume. I vote Charla, Charizard-Two, Charizard wearing ash's hat(they like to steal his hat often :p). Also Shiny Charizard should Mega-Evolve into it's shiny counter part, As well as patterns of Charizard-Two being layed out on it's Mega form.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Greninja appears to have a black color, but is not actually shiny. I kind of doubt Charizard will get his Shiny colors, as to avoid confusion with Mega Charizard X from a quick glance.

One is clearly red, the other is clearly blue IMO.

Also, shiny Charizard X:

It's green!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

The other side of the wings are black though for both. I'm aware they are different, but in stages with drastic lighting, it might be possible for some to "quick glance" confuse the two. And I don't expect Mega Charizard X to change color based on what color you picked, since the color change is drastic. Although I would really love to have Shiny Mega Charizard X playable.

However, you never know with SSB. Maybe red Charizard will give us a MCX with pink/purple skin. :3

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
The other side of the wings are black though for both. I'm aware they are different, but in stages with drastic lightning, it might be possible for some to "quick glance" confuse the two. And I don't expect Mega Charizard X to change color based on what color you picked, since the color change is drastic. Although I would really love to have Shiny Mega Charizard X playable.

However, you never know with SSB. Maybe red Charizard will give us a MCX with pink/purple skin. :3
We're talking about a final smash here, an event that will happen for a mere half a munute in which the shear power of the mega charizard will make it blatantly obvious which one is which, not to mention this game will be True HD...sorry, I get what you're saying, but it just isnt going to happen, thats like saying people are going to confuse luigi and mario, or kirby and jigglypuff.

Hong

The Strongest
There are two black Charizards on screen after a Smash Ball went into play. One is on the hunt and the other is trying to get the hell away.

Hmm... I wonder which one is the Mega Charizard.:troll:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
The other side of the wings are black though for both. I'm aware they are different, but in stages with drastic lighting, it might be possible for some to "quick glance" confuse the two. And I don't expect Mega Charizard X to change color based on what color you picked, since the color change is drastic. Although I would really love to have Shiny Mega Charizard X playable.

Maybe... but then I look at Sonic's Colors in Brawl lol.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Pretty sure Charizard is gonna get mirrored so you never see his back.

D

Deleted Member

Some of Charizard's animations have his wings inward, but overall I don't think visibility should be that big of a deal for most players. However, they seem to be making fighter visibility a big deal in the 3DS game with the lines around characters, and even Alfonzo replacing Toon Link in Spirit Tracks when TL is used (this could just be a aesthetic choice; ST TL seems to always be at the bottom left corner anyway). It makes me wonder if they'd want Charizard to have an alt with somewhat similar colors to his Final Smash. I'm really hoping my prediction is wrong here, and Shiny Charizard does get in, but "Not Shiny Black Greninja" makes me question if we'll get Shiny Charizard.

And for Sonic's color, I couldn't tell much, but the two new Sonic colors seemed to to have a strong body shade for Sonic (mainly the light blue one w/white shoes).

I hope we event get another demo with Charizard playable in the new few months. I'm curious to see if his existing color options have had changes, along with the possible shiny (if shiny happens, hopefully MCX will be green).

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Considering the shortage of ideas, it's probably safe to say that not all characters will have an alt costume. Mewtwo's Charizard would be better suited as an "alt recolor" of sorts. That could end up working better for the majority of the Pokémon cast.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman

I'd be fine with these swaps.

RED - Charmeleon colors
YELLOW - Shiny Charmander / Charmeleon
PURPLE - Shiny Charizard in G/S/C
BLACK - Shiny Charizard
BLUE - Charizard X
GREEN - Shiny Charizard X

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Here is a rather poorly made palette swap I've created.
Please excuse the low quality; it is my first attempt at making a palette swap so it is quite unpolished.
Basically, I intended it to resemble Flygon:

Turned out awful, but you get the idea. Thoughts on a palette swap along these lines?

Sendo Roba

Smash Cadet
Given X is probs his FS, I'd like Y as an alt. Which would be cool, because you'd actually see in competitive play, and Y is the better one

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Y will always be superior, he actually looks like an evolution of Charizard. X just looks like some kid scribbled all over my Charizard playing cards.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see why Sakurai is against putting in the Pokemon's shiny forms. I understand that he probably only has limited use of the characters but..If he can invent different colors for the Pokemon, why can't he include the canonical shiny colors for them? He has all of these rights to different Pokeball Pokemon, music pieces, locations, trophies, etc. So would a simple color for the playable characters be too much to ask? I don't know if it's because Sakurai is not allowed or if he just doesn't know how popular the shiny colors are, but it seems a little odd to me that we haven't seen them or K. Rool playable yet in the series. Especially something with Greninja where he was so close, but they had to edit it just enough to make it not shiny.

Last edited:

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
I hope Charizard gets some hats and accessories. In my opinion any color that isn't orange or black doesn't suit him very well.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I hope Charizard gets some hats and accessories. In my opinion any color that isn't orange or black doesn't suit him very well.
Scarfizard perhaps? I'll also take a pair of shades as well as an outfit with some earmuffs, mittens and galoshes.

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
The galoshes idea is the cutest thing oh my goodness.

macher09

Smash Rookie
Ludicolo.
Serious, im for Charizard Y but it would be weird if you mega evolve in Charizard X after getting the Smashball. xD

Top Bottom