• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charicific Valley • The Project: M Charizard General Discussion Thread

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
So what do you guys think of backthrow into tip of a RAR bair?
Also is it faster to run and b reverse flamethrower to grab the ledge or to just run and RAR wavedash onto it?

JOE!

Smash Hero
B reverse flamethrower probably due to not having to do Jumpsquat?

Also, Bthrow -> Fair is more rewarding IMO, but the Bair could be useful at certain % due to the better reach.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
B reverse flamethrower probably due to not having to do Jumpsquat?

Also, Bthrow -> Fair is more rewarding IMO, but the Bair could be useful at certain % due to the better reach.
Don't forget dash attack -> tilt backwards ledgegrab, useful if you don't have running room :)

According to JOE's handy dandy guide, Fair does 1% more damage and def leads to more followups at early percents. Bair would be super stylish at kill percents tho :p

Last edited:

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
True, i usually apply the bair if im in a big stage like Dreamland and the opponent is at like 80%ish so that way instead of the fair sending them all the way up and not killing, the bair can send them to the side where i just have to stop their recovery.
Also it just looks cool and feels satisfying lol :p

metroid1117

Smash Master
So what do you guys think of backthrow into tip of a RAR bair?
I think it's very good, but the loss in reward from getting the sourspot instead of the sweetspot is huge.

BAir sends at a shallower angle and usually isn't as stale as FAir if you tend to be a FAir-happy Zard (like I am), so I've personally gotten more mileage out of sweetspot BAir than FAir at that situation. Going for FAir gives you a lot more consistent rewards than BAir though, since sweetspot FAir is easier to land than RAR sweetspot BAir.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
A few Qs: how can I glidestall on ledge?

How can I do glide momentum change tricks?
Glide camping is a little tricky, essentially you'll press down when you're hanging on the ledge to fast fall of the ledge. Almost immediately after press b and you should glide right parallel to the ledge. If you do it to fast, you'll just glide onstage or just fast fall because you pressed b too fast. If you do it to slow you'll end up a little below the ledge.

Momentum "tricks" are forms of wave bouncing, but I'm not the best person to explain it so here's a thread about it if I don't make sense.

In a loose terms, its like a backwards quarter circle with your stick starting at the down position. Works for the initial as well as the cancel of glide. If you want to face the same direction but still waved bounce, then you need to do the quarter circle input, but also click the opposite direction as fast as possible.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else curious about the Smash4 Fair?

That combo though, looks like Zard's got some good stuff. It looks a little easier to hit with than the PM fair, but I'm not sure about he KB :p.

also Zard looks a heck of a lot more brutal in this game

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hm, we dont see the end of Fair's KB there...

however, imagine if PM backported that, but kept it all "fiery"? :D

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
sooo today i just found out that its possible to shorthop bair and then quickly waveland. The timing is really strict though...

Oracle

Smash Master
After about a dozen people told me I should have gone charizard this weekend, ive decided its time thugnificent makes a comeback. Get ready for stomps

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
So what do people think of using downb for platform work? I've been utilizing it a lot in my play but don't know if it holds anything other than flashiness.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
So what do people think of using downb for platform work? I've been utilizing it a lot in my play but don't know if it holds anything other than flashiness.
Is it any faster objectively than just jumping to waveland? If possible I'd say just check the frame data, and if it is faster, then by all means :p
I think you also lose out on your ability to turnaround if you're dashing towards the platform, when RAR jumping is a lot easier.

Of course, if there's any platform to high for Char's full jump to reach, Down-B suddenly becomes a better option. =]

Dan_O

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm new to the boards here and am a Charizard main in P:M. I've watched a lot of gameplay from the video thread and noticed that a lot of Zards will connect the last hitbox of a reverse Nair and then fast fall to L-cancel. I've found (although the timing is very strict) that Zard can autocancel his Nair from a shorthop without fast-falling, which trades the 15 frames of landlag from a SHFFL'd Nair for the regular 4-5 frames of standard landlag, which can give Zard a window to dash out of harm's way if the opponent shielded, or dash in if the hit connected. I'm not entirely sure about the frame data here, but it seems quicker than a late SHFFL, and perhaps more useful than a true SHFFL because it can utilize all of Nair's great hitboxes.
One move that I feel might have untapped potential is Flamethrower, although I could be very wrong lol. I'm not sure if it's at all safe, but Flamethrower can eat up shields pretty fast and poke as the shield dwindles. It also works pretty well against crouch cancel, racking up a quick 20% or so while stuffing any counterattack attempts. What uses have you all found for Flamethrower other than the obvious edgeguard potential?
One last question: If you've hit an opponent offstage at an early %, what is you go to move to gimp with?

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Hi I'm new to the boards here and am a Charizard main in P:M. I've watched a lot of gameplay from the video thread and noticed that a lot of Zards will connect the last hitbox of a reverse Nair and then fast fall to L-cancel. I've found (although the timing is very strict) that Zard can autocancel his Nair from a shorthop without fast-falling, which trades the 15 frames of landlag from a SHFFL'd Nair for the regular 4-5 frames of standard landlag, which can give Zard a window to dash out of harm's way if the opponent shielded, or dash in if the hit connected. I'm not entirely sure about the frame data here, but it seems quicker than a late SHFFL, and perhaps more useful than a true SHFFL because it can utilize all of Nair's great hitboxes.
One move that I feel might have untapped potential is Flamethrower, although I could be very wrong lol. I'm not sure if it's at all safe, but Flamethrower can eat up shields pretty fast and poke as the shield dwindles. It also works pretty well against crouch cancel, racking up a quick 20% or so while stuffing any counterattack attempts. What uses have you all found for Flamethrower other than the obvious edgeguard potential?
One last question: If you've hit an opponent offstage at an early %, what is you go to move to gimp with?
I actually didn't know that about Nair, but in general, aiming for the backswing is a heck of a lot safer, even if you get a few extra frames from auto cancels. Because in the grand scheme of things it takes maybe 20 frames for an opponent to WD OOS and attack you (not sure if that's right somebody figured it out a while ago). The extra 10 frames you save might not do much in the ultimate scheme of things though it is worth exploring.

Flamethrower is pretty dang useful, edge guards and I've found even ledge hopped it's not half bad because most people try and smash DI through it and eat lil 30-40% and usually end up DI-ing away. Be warned, only use it when you're opponent is pretty dang far from the ledge if you ledge hop it, since it does take a while to come out.

Gimping moves follow in order of usefulness:
The backswing of Nair: it's sort of a semi spike, and it hits really far below the ledge which nullifies perfect spots.
Dtilt: if you hit with the flame portion at the end, it's sort of like Marth's Fsmash in that it hits a tiny bit below the ledge, but it is pretty much a guaranteed KO on most characters if they burn their jumps.
Side-b: also hit below the ledge a little, and has some pretty long duration as well, though if you miss you'll be eating a lot of percent. Otherwise is can either setup for another hit or just straight knock them back
Flamethrower: kind of per character, but still pretty dang useful, just be sure they can't hit you out of it while recovering (i.e. Marth's dolphin slash might hit you with the tip as he rises).

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

Dan_O

Smash Rookie
I actually didn't know that about Nair, but in general, aiming for the backswing is a heck of a lot safer, even if you get a few extra frames from auto cancels. Because in the grand scheme of things it takes maybe 20 frames for an opponent to WD OOS and attack you (not sure if that's right somebody figured it out a while ago). The extra 10 frames you save might not do much in the ultimate scheme of things though it is worth exploring.

Flamethrower is pretty dang useful, edge guards and I've found even ledge hopped it's not half bad because most people try and smash DI through it and eat lil 30-40% and usually end up DI-ing away. Be warned, only use it when you're opponent is pretty dang far from the ledge if you ledge hop it, since it does take a while to come out.

Gimping moves follow in order of usefulness:
The backswing of Nair: it's sort of a semi spike, and it hits really far below the ledge which nullifies perfect spots.
Dtilt: if you hit with the flame portion at the end, it's sort of like Marth's Fsmash in that it hits a tiny bit below the ledge, but it is pretty much a guaranteed KO on most characters if they burn their jumps.
Side-b: also hit below the ledge a little, and has some pretty long duration as well, though if you miss you'll be eating a lot of percent. Otherwise is can either setup for another hit or just straight knock them back
Flamethrower: kind of per character, but still pretty dang useful, just be sure they can't hit you out of it while recovering (i.e. Marth's dolphin slash might hit you with the tip as he rises).

Hope that helped!
With regards to the Nair autocancel, I was implying that you hit with the last backswing rather than the startup, probably coulda worded it better. The autocancel might have its best use in retreating Nairs since the backswing reaches out a little further and can stuff advances. I'll explore ledgehop Flamethrower, as I've also gotten the hang of ledgehop Heat Wave, which I think you may have recommended earlier in this thread and I'm a big fan of. Would you think there could be any application to a B-reversed Flamethrower to catch opponents off guard as they approach and you retreat? Just a thought to tack on some extra % and maybe swing the momentum in a match. And thanks for the gimp advice, I was trying to use Heat Wave and Flamethrower offstage with varying success... Practice makes perfect though, lol.
This did help, thanks a lot!

Finally, does Zard have any attacking/mixup options that are safe on shield/safe to approach with, or is relying on spacing and punishes a better way to transition from neutral to offense?

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
Yo charizards! I've been playing melee for like a year, and I just started taking PM more seriously. So I'm entering a PM tourney tomorrow, and I'm forsure using the Zard. Does anyone have any useful tips or tricks that i might not know? (I've been maining Charizard for like a month)

Edit: holy *** this is my 69th message :D

Last edited:

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Has there been any discussion on how strong charizard's flamethrower is in a lot of contexts? I play vs a pretty good charizard a lot but the vast majority of his kills comes from flamethrower edgeguards. I feel like it's too risky to put on pressure because if I get knocked off stage even once I'm dead and the other guy doesn't even have to bat an eyelash. I play characters with fairly linear recoveries like Roy and Diddy Kong and getting gimped at the press of a button is a little frustrating.

Concerning the edgeguard, I've tried SDI'ing out of the flamethrower but the only direction you can go is away and offstage only to attempt to recover again which is futile because you can hold flamethrower for like 10 seconds. You can't SDI towards charizard because the knockback is so strong in the opposite direction that you just get juggled in place. How can I deal with this situation?

I don't like playing armchair designer but has there been any talk about how dumb this move is? I just feel like the scale for execution between players is way out of whack here. I don't know about anybody else but I feel like this move is not only too good but is also not fun to play against. Has there been any suggestions for adapting this move slot into something new?

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Real talk though,

How does one punish tether recoveries with Zard?
If you want to play it safe, you can punish most tether recoveries by grabbing the edge and then edgehop FAir'ing when they land onto the stage. Otherwise, you can try edgehop BAir when you see them airdodge.

*Zen

Smash Rookie
If you want to play it safe, you can punish most tether recoveries by grabbing the edge and then edgehop FAir'ing when they land onto the stage. (...).
I've been doing the exact same thing, unless instead of edgehop Fair, I drop to glair, which seems to reach most tether characters who land onto the stage. Performing it to people who aren't aware of it can cause a fast KO to the opposite of the stage if their DI is bad. I find that way easy, and doesn't requires an exceptionnal reaction, just a bit of patience.
a raw exemple
The tipped fair is indeed more rewarding, but I find the glair more surefire.
However, Lucas can counter this by dropping the tether into stuff (downB).

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've been doing the exact same thing, unless instead of edgehop Fair, I drop to glair, which seems to reach most tether characters who land onto the stage. Performing it to people who aren't aware of it can cause a fast KO to the opposite of the stage if their DI is bad. I find that way easy, and doesn't requires an exceptionnal reaction, just a bit of patience.
a raw exemple
That's a good point, considering that Glair has more range and does more damage. Thanks for the tip.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point, considering that Glair has more range and does more damage. Thanks for the tip.
It also is a bit faster, but you can miss out on some of the low percent follow ups that Fair can give you.

Just as a question, how does tether invincibility work exactly? Shouldn't flamethrower be able to hit them if they aren't invincible as they pull themselves in? The reason I'm asking is because sometimes I can get onstage Nair gimps, but a lot of the time it doesn't work and I'm starting to wonder why...

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
a raw exemple
Also quick question.
You grabbed the ledge by Dash attacking to the ledge then Reverse flamethrower correct?

*Zen

Smash Rookie
Also quick question.
You grabbed the ledge by Dash attacking to the ledge then Reverse flamethrower correct?
Nah, no flamethrower, just a dash attack and then have my stick tilted to the left.
I'm not sure for the tether invicibility, but I'd say they only get it from the ledgegrab. You can hit them with flamethrower while they hook up.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Nah, no flamethrower, just a dash attack and then have my stick tilted to the left.
I'm not sure for the tether invicibility, but I'd say they only get it from the ledgegrab. You can hit them with flamethrower while they hook up.
Wow, the more you know I guess :D
Thanks!

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the more you know I guess :D
Thanks!
Dash attack for all characters (I think) except DK, Diddy, and Kirby have a strange property with ledges. If you dash attack at the ledge and keep holding forward, you'll fall off, hold nothing you'll stay on the ground, and hold backwards and you'll fall off facing the opposite direction (and probs grab the ledge unless you hold down or do and attack first or something).

It's actually not a Zard thing... it's a odd, not super well known mechanic? Glitch? Idk... I'm also not sure if this is true in Melee or not.

Last edited:

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Two matches away from Top 8 at UFGTX. Was pretty sad I didn't get to Charizard fraud on stream. Mostly because I ran into K9's Metaknight very early in my pool, and they only streamed winners side to top 16. It was a tough match-up and I'm thinking of a counterpick for it honestly, and still not coming up with much.

Lost to Scythe's Wolf before top 16. Grabbing space animals is a bad idea.

I lost to two good players but I definitely feel I could play better. I'd love to rep Charizard more because I feel hes underplayed, but an extremely aggressive MK is a real problem. They both rely on their air dominance, but one punishes much harder for a mistake, and has a better tech chase game imo. Hard to get practice against even.

Une

Smash Apprentice
1. What is the point of Charizard's Fsmash? Quite strong but ridiculously slow. Seems pretty useless.

2. Whats the startup of upB on the ground. I assume it's fast because well you're supposed to use it out of shield so obviously that means it has to be fast like 5 frames or less or around that. It also seems to works pretty well when I do it OoS. Going by how it looks in ¼ speed I'll say about 3.

3. Nair is fun :3

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
On certain fastfalling characters, when they're getting back on the stage they usually won't DI away so they don't get gimped hard by the back end of nair. Do a ledgehop tipper nair back on stage and fsmash them for improper DI. Same with after a ledge dash attack. Hold towards the stage and rising nair.

Its a tool to be used sparingly but its got range so just look for setups for it. Dsmash, Dair, etc. Or just use it to block downward angled recoveries.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
1. What is the point of Charizard's Fsmash? Quite strong but ridiculously slow. Seems pretty useless.
Wavedash back -> FSmash is pretty good for punishing mis-spaced approaches and get-up attacks, but it requires you to read the opponent and you can't really set up for it. You can probably also DAir -> FSmash fastfallers if you don't want to combo them, but I'd only recommend this if they DI out such that you can get the fire hitbox.
2. Whats the startup of upB on the ground. I assume it's fast because well you're supposed to use it out of shield so obviously that means it has to be fast like 5 frames or less or around that. It also seems to works pretty well when I do it OoS. Going by how it looks in ¼ speed I'll say about 3.
The start-up animation lasts from frames 1-4 and has invincibility whereas hitbox comes out on frame 5.

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Wavedash back -> FSmash is pretty good for punishing mis-spaced approaches and get-up attacks, but it requires you to read the opponent and you can't really set up for it. You can probably also DAir -> FSmash fastfallers if you don't want to combo them, but I'd only recommend this if they DI out such that you can get the fire hitbox.

The start-up animation lasts from frames 1-4 and has invincibility whereas hitbox comes out on frame 5.
Does it really have that?! Damn, I need to use UpB OOS more with Charizard now... with what little good it would do now that wifi is dead until I get my Wii Hacked. xD

Top Bottom