• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you think are really bad

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc is far from ineffective in this game, how the hell would you come to the conclusion that he outright sucks? He has Mario's neutral, and while he doesn't have Mario's combo game(he has his own, they're a lot shorter) he does more damage, and relies less on a ton of hits. His DSmash kills a whopping 40 or so percent lower than Mario's(confirmed to be 90% against Mario, whereas Mario's DSmash takes 135% to KO Mario, no VI factored.) Sleeping on Doc is a really bad idea, he may be in the end worse than Mario but it in no way invalidates his ability to compete or be solid. His recovery is pretty bad tho, but far from useless or outright trash lmao.

He is fundamentally a different character this time around, and I enjoy him all the more for it. I find him much more worth it as a slot when he plays much different and has different functions. Plussss he's way more fun IMO.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Lil Mac, Ganon, Villager, Diddy, and Dr Mario so far don't seem that great to me.

The thing with the "bad" characters in this game is that they are way more viable than bad characters in previous smash games.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Actually Lucario is my off-character next to Megaman, i use him just as effectively since they made his UpB actually DO SOMETHING in this version lol. Brawl it was a short-ranged dash that put him in free-fall and did no damage or pushback. Now its crazy range, can do damage, and puts him in a "pseudo freefall" where he just cant do anything for a moment as he recovers from a roll.

Funny how nobody mentioned Zelda in these threads. Probably the only character ive literally never seen used or mentioned. Hell i see more Wii Fit Trainers, and theyre just weird.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I feel like Ganon has some sort of potential, at least with grounded Flame Choke. Even if it's teched I'm pretty sure you can vortex with it if you read rolls/techs and do it again to catch them after it's over. If they delay rolling or lie down longer you can just Dtilt them. IDK why but ground choke feels much more interesting in this game.

fennek

Smash Rookie
I've actually had some decent luck with :4palutena: online in 1v1 glory matches. She's definitely not as smooth or fluid as she could be, but I don't think she's as awful as everyone is saying. Palutena is just all about predictions, and I've found if you can manage that her dsmash has pretty decent kill potential.

:4zelda: as well. I've actually had some pretty good luck with Zelda online, as long as you're very careful with Din's fire or you just get punished into oblivion.

:4olimar::4falco: though, can't say I'm impressed with their iterations in this game.

Last edited:

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Came in expecting Megaman, was not disappointed. It's been said numerous times, but he plays differently than any other chartacter. He's versatile and has an exceptional air game, so I think he's far from the worst.

If we're talking straig.ht up tiers, then Ganon will be near the bottom. As far as personal worsts, I'm terribad with DDD. Everyone talks about Gordos, but I always get them smacked back in my face.

Rockwell

Smash Rookie
Out of the dozens upon dozens of Links/ToonLinks/DarkLinks I've played against, there were maybe two that gave any sort of trouble. Could just be a character rookies gravitate toward. Pretty impressed playing against Mario's, however.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Little macsand Links are used by scrubs but then you find that one gem that is a cut above the rest.

Link is a monster bodied Bowser and out camped Duck Hunt lol.

Hyrule chars are far from bad.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Honestly, I feel like Megaman is probably this game's (Melee) Yoshi. He may be really deadly in the right hands, but I think it's going to require a ludicrous amount of work to reach that level, and there will probably be other characters who can be equally effective with much lesser investment.

(Ironically, Smash 4 Yoshi is no longer this character at all).

I've always enjoyed playing as Zelda in past games, but she was hard for me to operate this time. Her typically low tier placement never mattered to me but in this game it almost feels observable even in low levels of play. I can't even tell what feels different; maybe every character has gotten improvements but her. Poor Zel.

RubilX15/Josh

Smash Rookie
The worst characters for me has to be :4charizard: due to his lack of speed and not very reliable attacking moves, :4wario2: because of his deprivation of any sort of good attacks, and :4villager:. I say Villager because he lacks anything non strategic. Like he can't just attack, he always has to plan something out, and his movement is not fluid at all from the matches I played with him at least.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I've heard a lot of talk going around about characters who seem mediocre. :4myfriends: has better ground mobility and slightly faster tilts/aerials, but his f-air got a range nerf and his smashes are still slow. :4megaman:'s B moves lack punch to them, his kill moves all have exploitable downsides, and anyone with a reflector puts him in a bad situation. :4luigi: lacks aerial mobility and has trouble killing. :4falco: feels really nerfed...but maybe he's another Zelda, and people just haven't found his new strong points yet.

Despite all of that, though? All of those characters still have a few things going for them. I honestly don't think there's a single character in SSB4 that's outright bad.

Last edited:

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
:4ganondorf: is easily :pichumelee: levels of bad in this game

and this is coming from someone who stubbornly mained him in Brawl

all the other heavies (bar maybe D3) got speed buffs and super armor buffs. Bowser almost feels like a completely new character in the best way possible. Ganondorf remains practically the same. He literally feels like he was ported over from Brawl with only the game mechanics changing him in any discernible way. anything with a sword destroys the Manon. anyone who can apply pressure can destroy the Manon. he has extremely limited options and do not even get me started on his Little Mac levels of terribad recovery.

hopefully his custom moves will be enough to make him not frustrating to play as against people with disjointed hitboxes. truthfully, all this man needs is super armor on like half of his moves and a tad more % damage on his moves (and his Melee jab and the "refresh double jump after Down B" mechanic)

Last edited:

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
The only character that seems kinda rough is Palutena, and that's mostly because her main moveset isn't anything special. She's also slow, and unlike Ganondorf, Ike, etc. she doesn't have as much power to make up for it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
:4falco:&:4luigi: are the only ones I am worried about, at least in a For Glory set up. Bothersome, as I very much liked both in previous games (Falco was my Melee main).

:4falco: also got a voice nerf, to add insult to injury. :c

Everyone else I've seen brought up here has, as it stands, not been seen in good hands enough for people to see their potential, but I personally have seen it. I main :4megaman:, and my brother mains :4myfriends:, and can even give my :rosalina: a run for her money (I still win most of the time but it can be tight).

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
:4ganondorf: is easily :pichumelee: levels of bad in this game

and this is coming from someone who stubbornly mained him in Brawl

all the other heavies (bar maybe D3) got speed buffs and super armor buffs. Bowser almost feels like a completely new character in the best way possible. Ganondorf remains practically the same. He literally feels like he was ported over from Brawl with only the game mechanics changing him in any discernible way. anything with a sword destroys the Manon. anyone who can apply pressure can destroy the Manon. he has extremely limited options and do not even get me started on his Little Mac levels of terribad recovery.

hopefully his custom moves will be enough to make him not frustrating to play as against people with disjointed hitboxes. truthfully, all this man needs is super armor on like half of his moves and a tad more % damage on his moves (and his Melee jab and the "refresh double jump after Down B" mechanic)

I've had decent success with him. Side B Down tilt is a pretty awesome combo.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i love palutena, but she is completely useless in this game with her default moveset and i don't think even customs would save her.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
As much as I love Falco, I don't think he's a great character anymore, and I don't enjoy using him that much anymore. Air game and mobility have been reduced in potency. Olimar and Megaman don't impress me, either.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
:4falco:&:4luigi: are the only ones I am worried about, at least in a For Glory set up. Bothersome, as I very much liked both in previous games (Falco was my Melee main).

:4falco: also got a voice nerf, to add insult to injury. :c
I agree with you 100%! Especially about Falco's voice. Not that I hate it completely, not he's sounds like a nerd, just like Fox! Dx

Ganondorf's one of my worries, as well.

Last edited:

Kolvacs

Smash Rookie
:4myfriends: and :4falco: both seem really bad to me, maybe I have only ever versed bad players, but they just both seem to be really slow and weak at everything.

Niala

Smash Ace
:4pikachu::4falco::4luigi::4megaman: Are just bad, really.
:4palutena::4marth:I'd say they're bad, too, but counters are absolutely bonkers so they can just win by countering an fsmash at 50% every game.
:4littlemac: is pathetic on bad players. I don't know if he's playable yet, his meta needs to develop quite a bit before we can make that call. It might turn out that it doesn't matter about all the super armor and his counter if you can just grab him and gimp him, which is incredibly easy.
:4wiifit:is fine. People just suck at playing her. Haven't lost a game with her yet out of a dozen or so. She's just not intuitive so you won't win with her until you've gotten a few games under your belt. She does having glaring flaws, but she's not nearly as trash-tier as people in this thread seem to think she is.
:4metaknight:Seems kinda weak, but I'm not really sure yet. His range is hilarious, and the animations don't match it whatsoever.
:4myfriends::4ness::4drmario::4tlink: are underwhelming. Probably still playable though.
The rest of the cast strikes me as having enough strengths to at least counter-balance their weaknesses.

And then there's :4zss:. I think her only weak move is her dash attack, and her only straight up negative trait is a tether grab. She's nutty.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'm sorry to say, but with my experience with the character,He's nowhere near a waste of space.He's stupidly overpowered above 50% if you know how to use him properly, on top of that he has amazing recovery.I've been in 100+ For Glory matches with Lucario and I have a 87% win rate.
Well you're lucky to be one hell of a good Lucario main, unlike the few I've seen who roll predictably and about 50% of the time shoot their biggest Aura Sphere.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's fair to judge a character based on easy matches online. You have just as much chance of getting paired up with someone picking up the character for the first time as you do someone who has invested hours into a character.

From what I have played, most of the roster seem pretty decent. I think Palutena has much more potential than people give her credit for. The worst to me is probably Charizard. He doesn't seem to have the power of some of the other heavies, but still retains some sluggish movement. I've had trouble in matches getting through projectiles, only to come up short when I'm fighting up close as well. I may just be playing him wrong, but so far I'm not impressed.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
OK, now that I think of it, :4falco:at the very least has been nerfed WAY too hard. He can no longer short-jump double laser, like Smash 4 :4fox:(not like he's that bad. He's actually pretty decent in a way). That and his D-air has a really long lag before the move actually hits. Falco lost all of his good fast options, I have no clue how Shofu uses him properly.

Sure, I guess this is a new engine not being Melee or even Brawl, but still, Falco losing a lot of speed makes this difficult.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Falco was ever good? I always considered him a wannabe Fox that got jacked up when they tried to make him "unique"
Which is why im surprised they removed Wolf and not Falco. Wolf was epic, better than Fox actually imo, Falco has always just been wasted space.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is better but he is still pretty terrible in this engine. I don't think he's the worst though. So far it looks like Kirby might take the crown. I could not figure out one effective thing to do as Kirby. His recovery is terrible despite several more mid air jumps. All of his moves have strange sweets pots with a lot of sour spots. He is slloooww and about as light as a feather. I was hoping Kirby could get some of his groove back in this one but it looks like he may return to his post as the worst character in the game.

To be honest this game reminds me a lot of Brawl in that the newcomers had a lot of attention paid to them whereas the vet characters kinda suck.

I was also shocked at how terrible Luigi was in this game. He's never been that great but he at least had a quirky way of moving through space that was kinda fun. Now it's like he has no personality, he's just a terrible clunky form of Mario.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'm definitely starting to think Yoshi isn't as good as I initially thought. Down throw to Up Air appears not to be a true combo on most characters at any percent, you can just hold up and mash jump to get out, and he doesn't really have any good ways to chase after them. He doesn't really have many other great kill options at reasonable percents unless you get an amazing read with FSmash or something.

He's still a lot better than he was, but I suspect he's probably mid tier rather than high tier. He's just got a lot of matchups that seem bad and not a ton of tools to play around them.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I think Samus is literally unplayable. Clunky as hell, removed ground cancel missiles, and her new nair is pretty bad compared to the versatility of her old one.

MotivatedDeer

Smash Rookie
I feel like there are no, "Bad" characters in the game, everyone has their own playstyle which fits well with a certain character. But i do feel like Samus and Bowser Jr. were left in the dust a bit. Samus does not seem THAT much improved since the last game and bowser jr just has a weird playstyle. However, I do know for a fact that whenever someone is good with samus, they play amazingly with her.

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
I'm not a huge fan of Robin myself. Perhaps it's just too much complexity for me, but I honestly don't find his/her smashes very effective and the risk reward system isn't balanced enough for me to handle it.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
A lot of people here seem to think Falco is terrible from the knee-jerk reaction to the laser and dair nerfs. He's actually far from terrible.

Top Bottom