• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you liked unexpectedly

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
What characters did you end up liking unexpectedly? For me it’s King Dedede. I’m not usually a fan of heavies or slow hard hitting tanks. I just them as a little boring personally. King Dedede is a lot of fun for me though. It’s probably his crouch

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Same. I started liking him after playing All-Star mode on Smash 3DS and realizing I could get easy kills by inhaling my opponents and spitting them right into the blast zone. Not really a fan of his up-B, but he’s perfect nonetheless.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Dr. Mario. Not sure why, but his attacks feel real crunchy when they land. He’s a lot of fun; a fundamental-heavy character that trades a bit of mobility for greater KO options.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Palutena, she can get to places quickly, her throws are good and she’s just fun.

Last edited:

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
Yeah Incineroar. I want to slap my old self for thinking Decidueye would be a more interesting Pokemon rep, because Incineroar is so much fun.

JoshuaAloha

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf turned out to be pretty fun, though I’d call it more satisfying than anything. Using him to just grind spirits and watching the cpu fly off the screen in two hits is nice.

Complex

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3122-7353-2151
For me it's definitely Jigglypuff. He doesn't fit my normal playstyle of hyper aggressive rushdown anime bois, but there's something so satisfying about landing a nice crispy rest or landing 5 forward airs in a row to carry someone to their death.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Maybe, :ultdoc:. I've viewed as a worse version of :ultmario: back in Smash 4 & 5 but in Ultimate, he was not only given more unique properties, but he was a lot more acceptable. I still prefer the regular Mario moveset though.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultkrool:. He's no where near my top favourites and isn't as used by me as fellow newcomers :ultchrom:and :ultisabelle: but I had no clue he'd be quite as fun as he actually is.

Yes I know everyone else said he would be, hush.

Kyuuki

Smash Rookie
Yoshi. I liked him okay in Smash 4, but never got super into him. I just love how he feels in this game.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am starting to really like Isabelle, she controls so well

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Falco.
I mained Falco in Smash 4 and embraced his low-tier, 0 neutral game status. Now with the mechanic changes he's incredibly fun, and basically has 3 moves he didn't have before: neutral b, dair and sideb (besides recovering). It seems like his other aerials only got better as well, save for bair which now has some delay. He actually feels like a fully-fledged character now, and looks so cool doing it to boot.

Also Greninja! What a beast!

Last edited:

hiporbiter

Smash Rookie
I love the Inklings so much, specially after not caring about them on the pre-launch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultdoc:. He's so different than the floaty characters with good recoveries I normally play, but he still feels really satisfying to play as.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
For me it's definitely Jigglypuff. He doesn't fit my normal playstyle of hyper aggressive rushdown anime bois, but there's something so satisfying about landing a nice crispy rest or landing 5 forward airs in a row to carry someone to their death.
Eh? Jigglypuff is a rushdown character...

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
As much as I dislike Hbox and despite Jiggs not playing any different between Melee and Ultimate...I like Jiggs in Ultimate as well. Is that weird? LOL

Last edited:

T3RT1S

Level Up!
NNID
pokeLogZ
At first I didn’t understand the point of him, but now I know what I have to do. I gotta :ultrob: a bank.
(BADUM TSSSSSSSSSSSSS)
I mean R.O.B.

Complex

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3122-7353-2151
Eh? Jigglypuff is a rushdown character...
I don't know, when I play puff I feel like there's a lot of waiting for my opponent to make a mistake and then punishing, but I suppose he can be played as a rushdown as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am basically playing all characters I did before.But I’ll bite! Samus is much improved, and finally playable again. So am liking her so far. Pikachu was also dropped since Melee, but I can play him well now.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
Bowser!

Didn’t like him in the previous 4 because he was always too slow, but the first time I tried him in Ultimate my mind was blown. Dude runs as fast as Usain Bolt in this game, with aerials that make Marth shiver!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I have been playing a bit of Bayonetta, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Inkling, & Daisy/Peach unexpectedly this time around

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Bowser!

Didn’t like him in the previous 4 because he was always too slow, but the first time I tried him in Ultimate my mind was blown. Dude runs as fast as Usain Bolt in this game, with aerials that make Marth shiver!
Mobility is the reason why I also bit the bullet and picked im up. Most fun heavy in the game outside of ganon

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Bowser and Simon, didn't really plan on picking them up but here I am. Bowser seems to be what Ganondorf is to a lot of people here, and Simon's playstyle is pretty fun to me.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Inceniroar but I will never use him due to his awful recovery.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I literally had no interest in :ultwolf:prior to Ultimate releasing and then I played a couple of matches with him and fell in love with his kit. And now I'm a Wolf main lol

also :ultdarksamus:, never used Samus much in previous Smash games but Dark Samus just feels really good to me, I'm glad I can play her well since I had a liking for Dark Samus ever since she got revealed in the August Direct.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sheik and Greninja.

I liked them as characters but playing them in Smash 4 felt.... wrong.

They feel natural again.

JKincaid

Smash Rookie
Metaknight. I'm not good with him and he doesnt fit my playstyle at all but I've been trying to make him work for no reason.

I think I've had more characters that I expected to like but didn't. The Belmonts are the entire reason I picked this series up but they didnt light my world on fire like Ganondorf and Bowser. I still go back on occasion to see if they gel better. Incineroar and Ryu/Ken too. Being a pro wrestler and longtime SF player I figured they'd work for me but recovery and range respectively turned me off

Noah

Smash Cadet
I played Mii swordfighter yesterday after seeing clips of Anonymous Moniker playing him in a Chicago league. Suddenly I’m winning elite smash matches with a 1321 Mii swordfighter and I hope he’s legal in my league

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
The Mii Sword fighter! I made Ashley thinking I would just play a few matches with a gimmick character, next thing I know she's my best character. I mean thats not saying TOO too much, I'm not amazing at the game, but still.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
Toon Link and Dr. Mario. Tink doesn’t fit my playstyle at all, but for some reason he’s working out for me. I preferred Mario in Smash 4, but in this one I’m just liking Doc better.

Also, I’m not enjoying Shulk as much as I was in Sm4sh. While he’s still a pocket that I can pull out occasionally, he’s just not the same character to me.

Noah

Smash Cadet
Toon Link and Dr. Mario. Tink doesn’t fit my playstyle at all, but for some reason he’s working out for me. I preferred Mario in Smash 4, but in this one I’m just liking Doc better.

Also, I’m not enjoying Shulk as much as I was in Sm4sh. While he’s still a pocket that I can pull out occasionally, he’s just not the same character to me.
Is it the extreme Monados that turn you off from him

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
That character for me is Richter. When i saw gameplay of him, i expected him to be slow and clunky. But when i played as him, he felt a lot better than i expected.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
:ultpalutena: Never thought I would like using her after Smash 4, but I was so wrong. The rework to her counter and her new side B made me actually like using her compared to Smash 4's horrible moveset. Also I like juggling opponents with her up smash.

:ulticeclimbers: Two I felt trying for the lols shortly after unlocking them. Once I used them, I started to main them for a while until I unlocked K. Rool and Ridley. I loved the feeling of hitting twice with every single attack, and they felt super powerful.

Last edited:

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Let me tell you about my boy, Snake.

Great character. Was always a fan of the Metal Gear series, but seeing how much of a set up character he is in Brawl I was not keen on playing him. However, I tried him out and my goodness he's fun. Grenades are an amazing tool that require a little thought, but once you get it down they're a great offensive and defensive tool. Nikita is insanely powerful. C4 is fun, especially if your opponent isn't mindful of it until it times out. Utilt kills insanely early, dair has so much pressure, and ftilt comes out very fast and has a lot of knock back. I'm not used playing this way so maining Snake has been a bit of a chore, but it's all fun.

Also, honorable mentions: Wolf, Richter, Incineroar, Inkling, and Pokemon Trainer.

Top Bottom