• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Master Chief - Seriously I will never understand the reason of this guy. He's Xbox mascot in a way and haven't appeared on Nintendo system other than a skin if I recall correctly (someone correct me if i"m wrong). Him being in would be a slap in the face for the Nintendo fans plus him having guns aren't really helping him out.
Because he is a bigger icon than most of the 3rd parties currently in. He also represents a genre of games. And if Sakurai really wants Ultimate to be "The biggest crossover in GAMING" having what is essentially the face of shooters would be a smart move that attracts the eyes of all people. Attracting newcomers to Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because he is a bigger icon than most of the 3rd parties currently in. He also represents a genre of games. And if Sakurai really wants Ultimate to be "The biggest crossover in GAMING" having what is essentially the face of shooters would be a smart move that attracts the eyes of all people. Attracting newcomers to Smash.
Well may as well throw Kratos in there as well then. He represents Sony after all. Nintendo vs. Microsoft vs. Sony. It's only really logical if that's the case.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I never once brought up Microsoft, but since you brought it up God of War didn't sell the Playstation brand the way Halo sold the Xbox brand, nor did God fo War set the standard of any genre of games (David Jaffe admitted that he was doing a more brutal and violent take of Devil May Cry).

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I guess if we get Master Chief and Kratos. I guess COD soldier gets a spot too now? Or what about Fortnite guy? Minecraft Steve?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I never once brought up Microsoft, but since you brought it up God of War didn't sell the Playstation brand the way Halo sold the Xbox brand, nor did God fo War set the standard of any genre of games (David Jaffe admitted that he was doing a more brutal and violent take of Devil May Cry).
I would be down with Sony v Microsoft v Nintendo, but I suppose Nathan Drake would be a better rep for Sony than Kratos or Ratchet. Don't get me wrong I LOVE all 3 series, but Uncharted was turning heads in and out of gaming and cemented Naughty Dog's place as Sony's top studio.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't give a **** about Master Chief. Holy ****. It doesn't matter how popular or important Halo is, Master Chief is boring. How about having that energy blade be an item? Why does every popular game need a playable character? Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I don't give a **** about Master Chief. Holy ****. It doesn't matter how popular or important Halo is, Master Chief is boring. How about having that energy blade be an item? Why does every popular game need a playable character? Jesus Christ.
Also, as far as I am aware the Halo franchise has absolutely zero relationship with Nintendo whatsoever. With characters like Cloud it's fine, because he is the face of a franchise with lots of Nintendo history... But it's not the same with the Chief. I'm sure everyone has already said that already, but I agree with it 100%

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Having any real Nintendo history is not a requirement anyway. Sakurai made that pretty clear not only when he chose Cloud, but when he said "forget about console wars". This is why I think Master Chief has a fairly reasonable chance. He isn't going to be denied cause of a lack of "being part of Nintendo"(not that Cloud seriously has a Nintendo history. But even then, the character doesn't, and that's who was important to Sakurai, not simply the franchise alone. For that matter, even if FF had almost zero Nintendo history, he'd still be going for Cloud because of who he was, assuming FF was still a major gaming thing). The only two characters that are relevant to Nintendo history that have gotten in or probably were are Bayonetta and Geno in that order. And it only was important to Bayonetta at best. Geno's case is purely fan support.

For the same reason, Banjo isn't going to get in at all because of Nintendo history, it's going to be because of fan support and possibly other things like moveset potential, easy deals with Microsoft, or other important factors for character inclusions. We know for a hard fact that having a Nintendo appearance is not a requirement. Sakurai's said so himself. It's just a factor he takes into consideration at best, a realistic interpretation of his words "it might be something of a courtesy to have a Nintendo appearance." He also hasn't had a situation where he was going to add a character with zero Nintendo appearances too, so to suggest he actually considers it a requirement when he hasn't tried to add one yet is silly. He wasn't even sure of his response to the idea of Cloud still being non-Nintendo in every way(not that he is even remotely related to Nintendo regardless). It was a case of "Uh, I really don't have an answer to that. It never actually came up" more realistically than some PR speak. He's just not that vague enough to ignore it, cause the man has pride. He likes to explain his picks.

As for ones I don't want to see, I feel like they should keep the regular Indie support to Trophies/AT's now that the big gun(Shovel Knight) is out of the running. Steve? barely counts as an Indie, though I do think he'd be a great option due to being a very popular and very iconic character.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Having any real Nintendo history is not a requirement anyway. Sakurai made that pretty clear not only when he chose Cloud, but when he said "forget about console wars". This is why I think Master Chief has a fairly reasonable chance. He isn't going to be denied cause of a lack of "being part of Nintendo"(not that Cloud seriously has a Nintendo history. But even then, the character doesn't, and that's who was important to Sakurai, not simply the franchise alone. For that matter, even if FF had almost zero Nintendo history, he'd still be going for Cloud because of who he was, assuming FF was still a major gaming thing). The only two characters that are relevant to Nintendo history that have gotten in or probably were are Bayonetta and Geno in that order. And it only was important to Bayonetta at best. Geno's case is purely fan support.

For the same reason, Banjo isn't going to get in at all because of Nintendo history, it's going to be because of fan support and possibly other things like moveset potential, easy deals with Microsoft, or other important factors for character inclusions. We know for a hard fact that having a Nintendo appearance is not a requirement. Sakurai's said so himself. It's just a factor he takes into consideration at best, a realistic interpretation of his words "it might be something of a courtesy to have a Nintendo appearance." He also hasn't had a situation where he was going to add a character with zero Nintendo appearances too, so to suggest he actually considers it a requirement when he hasn't tried to add one yet is silly. He wasn't even sure of his response to the idea of Cloud still being non-Nintendo in every way(not that he is even remotely related to Nintendo regardless). It was a case of "Uh, I really don't have an answer to that. It never actually came up" more realistically than some PR speak. He's just not that vague enough to ignore it, cause the man has pride. He likes to explain his picks.

As for ones I don't want to see, I feel like they should keep the regular Indie support to Trophies/AT's now that the big gun(Shovel Knight) is out of the running. Steve? barely counts as an Indie, though I do think he'd be a great option due to being a very popular and very iconic character.
Do you have a source for that console wars/not important to Nintendo statement? I'd like to see it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you have a source for that console wars/not important to Nintendo statement? I'd like to see it.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/ This is about the console wars bit.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/ This touches on the information. Nowhere at any time has Sakurai inferred they need to be "related" to Nintendo. In the same way, nor has he inferred they need a Nintendo appearance. People are taking the idea of "oh, guess it could help" which is how casual his outlook of it is as something more than is meant. It's just a factor to look at, like pretty much all kinds of things for development, but not even a legitimate guideline to speak of. When you use the term "might", you're clearly showing how it's not even all that important, but just something you can sometimes keep in mind.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/ This is about the console wars bit.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/ This touches on the information. Nowhere at any time has Sakurai inferred they need to be "related" to Nintendo. In the same way, nor has he inferred they need a Nintendo appearance. People are taking the idea of "oh, guess it could help" which is how casual his outlook of it is as something more than is meant. It's just a factor to look at, like pretty much all kinds of things for development, but not even a legitimate guideline to speak of. When you use the term "might", you're clearly showing how it's not even all that important, but just something you can sometimes keep in mind.
Thanks! So does this mean I can make a Ratchet and Clank thread?!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Dan

Smash Lord
Wow, Ratchet & Clank really doesn't have a support thread.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know, I didn't bring them up before, but I'm so hoping that Rex & Pyra don't touch the game, not even as DLC.
On top of being incredibly boring "oh it's recent from Nintendo, so they must join!" choices for characters, their designs are such an eyesore to look at and I'm yet to see anyone who actually finds them appealing other than "Pyra's muh waifu". Terrible Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid rejects.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
* With the exception of Rayman or Banjo-Kazooie, any Western property: Western-developed characters from Nintendo games get a pass (Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Dark Samus), but do bear in mind that a lot of characters here, including third party, tend to be Japanese, and the games tend to also have a Japanese audience in mind alongside Westerners. At most, a fair bit of those should be assist trophies (for instance, I'll be happy to petition for Shantae to be one). Wouldn't mind a Minecraft stage (the game is massively successful in Japan after all), but would be apprehensive of Steve?.
* A Sony character: We have Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale for that.
* Waluigi: Yes, he's an assist trophy. That said, I may have a bit of a liking to him (thanks to BitF), but I think Sakurai made his point abundantly clear. Besides, not sure how much we can draw from him, and he'll never be as unique as Wario.
* Zack or Sephiroth (FFVII): ... no. Different Square representation in Smash please (I don't mind Sephy being a stage boss). I'd much prefer Geno, but if there's to be another Final Fantasy representative, either the Black Mage (there really isn't a more iconic class type in the series) or Terra (reflecting FFVI's massive success in Japan for the original SNES/Super Famicom release). Crono would be nice (albeit a slightly tall order), and I'd be delighted with Frog as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
You know, I didn't bring them up before, but I'm so hoping that Rex & Pyra don't touch the game, not even as DLC.
On top of being incredibly boring "oh it's recent from Nintendo, so they must join!" choices for characters, their designs are such an eyesore to look at and I'm yet to see anyone who actually finds them appealing other than "Pyra's muh waifu". Terrible Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid rejects.
I find Rex's design appealing.

Actually, it's mostly the space suit he gets later on. But his original design isn't as bad as you think.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Robloxian: I HATE Roblox, and this game should stay the hell away from Smash.

Sans: Just because one game gets announced on Switch doesn't mean they should immediately get into Smash. (There are some exceptions like Crash Bandicoot) Also I just don't see him working in Smash. AAAAAAAND like another character on this list, I can't stand the fanbase. At all. Extremely toxic and stubborn, refuses to listen to other people's opinions without arguing.

Jynx: My least favorite Pokémon of all time. Enough said.

Goku (and all non-video game characters) This is a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER competition. Characters from anime, TV shows, memes, books, and other forms of media do not belong in Smash

Snip and Clip: Zero moveset potential and comes from a game that gives off a stupid/overly silly vibe similar to Freakyforms... no thanks.
Also they function by cutting each other into pieces. That's great.

Rabbids: Extremely annoying, no moveset potential, and they would steal a character slot from Rayman who deserves to be in much more.

Baldi: OK, SERIOUSLY??? This isn't even a game in my opinion, rather a steaming pile of **** called a "game" that should never get representation in Smash.

Recruit (Fortnite): OK, I do play Fortnite a lot, and I love the game, but what would this character do outside of being a walking, dancing meme with guns? I feel like if this character got in, it would solely be for the horrendously toxic fanbase of Fortnite... or the money. Same with Sans. I'd be cool with an AT, item, or stage.

Waluigi: HE'S AN ASSIST TROPHY! GET OVER IT AND STOP CRYING!

Those are my opinions. It's fine if you like any of these characters. I just don't want to see them in Smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Historically Sonic, Cloud, Daisy, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr but you can clearly see how that went. Also Waluigi until I had a coming to Jesus moment thanks to the Brawl in the Family comics. Nowadays I'm too old to care about that sort of thing.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Basically any third party characters that don't actually have a long ( read: more than two console generations ), well established history with Nintendo. Bayonetta should not have gotten in, imo. Wonderful 101 shouldn't get in, but i'd be fine with Viewtiful Joe.

I don't want any super new characters from long running series to get in when there's still more important characters that haven't gotten in yet ( like Rosalina getting in before Toad for example.... )

I don't really want any Indie characters... not even if I like them. Sorry Shantae.

No more "wtf picks", call me anti-fun, but I think the cast should be fan favorites only. No Labo-Man, no wreckless Wii safety guy, ect.

And I feel like this shouldn't even need to be said, but for some reason, a ton of people are entertaining the idea instead of ignoring it like they should, but no licensed characters from TV, comics, and movies... Like Goku or Shrek, or even characters with reasonably good Nintendo connections like TMNT, Popeye, James Bond, or Scrooge McDuck ( I would, however, be fine with music from those games... give me the ducktales moon theme in the Mario Galaxy level, or Alleycat Blues in Wrecking Crew level )

Dan

Smash Lord
Historically Sonic, Cloud, Daisy, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr but you can clearly see how that went. Also Waluigi until I had a coming to Jesus moment thanks to the Brawl in the Family comics. Nowadays I'm too old to care about that sort of thing.
Daisy is kind of pointless and a borderline waste if certain other Echo's don't get included, but she's a good pacifier for those people.

I think they made good by Bowser Jr., but I initially wanted him to be Zelda/Sheik thing with Shadow Mario.

I thought Cloud was a soulless inclusion, and I really don't agree with Sakurai that this should be a celebration of everything gaming; there should be a certain amount of lineage to Nintendo, and I don't think Cloud had enough.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I hate the idea of fourth parties in Smash. In my opinion, as soon as a non-video game character gets in, the roster will become a jumbled mess.

I'm also somewhat conservative when it comes to 3rd parties. I like third parties, but I want the series to have lineage with Nintendo, or at the least appear on a Nintendo console. Like I'm perfectly fine with Cloud, because Final Fantasy has importance and history with Nintendo. Cloud himself may not have had much importance to Nintendo, but he makes the most sense for a Final Fantasy character.
So characters like Master Chief or Kratos (using them because they were mentioned before) I don't want because neither the character nor the series has importance to Nintendo or appeared on a Nintendo console.

Obviously there's some characters I don't think would fit (Like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton), but if Sakurai made them work I would welcome them.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
This may or may not make some enemies.

Dante (Devil May Cry)

To be fair I like Dante, and I personally don't care if he makes it in. But I know that due to nature of his home series he will be absolutely busted, if you think I'm lying, Marvel v Capcom (Hell all of the Devil May Cry characters are top tier in every MvC game they were in). And because of that, everyone is going to complain about it, again if you think I'm lying, Bayonetta.

Again I don't care if he makes it in or if he snaps the game in half. But I know for a fact the Smash community will whine about it and that's something I'd rather not have to listen to again. Not even Devil Trigger can save this one.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I've no idea what you're asking, and the poll question confuses me even more as to what the point of this thread is.

Cobblesttone Playz

Smash Rookie
Honestly I've no idea what you're asking, and the poll question confuses me even more as to what the point of this thread is.
I'm sorry. I'm new here and don't really know how things work here. The point of this thread is for people to talk about characters that they don't want in Smash Ultimate. The poll question is because recently, my friend asked if Skull Kid could be in Smash Ultimate, to which i replied no, so now I'm using this poll to see which is the most popular opinion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm sorry. I'm new here and don't really know how things work here. The point of this thread is for people to talk about characters that they don't want in Smash Ultimate. The poll question is because recently, my friend asked if Skull Kid could be in Smash Ultimate, to which i replied no, so now I'm using this poll to see which is the most popular opinion.
1 ) - We already had a thread for that (your thread has been merged with it).

2 ) - The poll itself was better suited for the Forum Games section, if it's meant to be in a lighthearted "what if" case rather than being legitimate opinions that might stir up controversy.

https://smashboards.com/forums/forum-games.50/

That said, welcome to the site.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't want Blade and Blue from Super Smash Bros. Flash... or really any fanfic characters in Smash.

That's about it lol.
This.

To hell with all the Bowsette for Smash requests.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I'd be put off by anyone appearing in Smash except for one, that being - for the love of God - MISTY AS A SECOND POKÉMON TRAINER.:ultridley:
Please learn to only take the Misty part seriously. VERY seriously or else I can't imagine what I'd do.

Jokes aside, Steve?, since I don't believe I deserve to care for Minecraft. It is, of course, a legend in the gaming community, but given current trends, now's not the time for anything more than a stage or trophies.

Also, no fourth party characters allowed. I'd be down for Disney or even JoJo characters personally, but...nah. This is a celebration of video games that have something to do with Nintendo.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Steve from Minecraft, because of his unsightly design.

Lara Croft, because of her boring moveset potential.

Any Resident Evil character, again boring moveset.

Weird non-fighters like Layton, Phoenix Wright and the detective girl whose name escapes me. I would rather see that creativity poured into a retro character like Hanafuda, Power Glove, Balloon Fighter, Lip, etc. Isabelle I understand because of her popularity and the ability to reuse assets from Villager, as well as her appeal to the casuals (so far with Ridley, K Rool, Simon, etc, they are over-saturating the newcomers with hardcore smashfan picks). I enjoy characters that are off the wall unobvious additions, but SSB games always have a ritualistic first-party / abstract / retro character with a wild moveset, which is usually delegated to the likes of Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, Duck Hunt. And that's kind of where it should stay...?

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Dry Bowser - Rather Boring choice for an echo, Midbus or Wart would be way more interesting

Dark Meta Knight - I really find the "Dark" prefix boring

Palutena Echoes - Kid Icarus, imo, is overrepresented + :4palutena:was overhyped as a SSB4 character while :4darkpit: just feels like a recolour becoming its own character with no uniqueness. :ultpalutena: still won't excite me and :ultdarkpit: won't make me more excited even if it is labeled as "Echo".

Star Wars The Old Republic characters - I like Star Wars and I like World of Warcraft, but SWTOR is simply just the worst game I have ever played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom