• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Who I don't want to get in... just these 10

1. Yet another character with another Marth inspired move set.
2. Sans
3. Skull Kid
4. the wiimote safety guy
5. Lycanroc
6. Minecraft Steve
7. Mipha
8. Paper Mario
9. Goku
10. Sephiroth

I'd sigh and roll my eyes at their inclusion; take a deep breath and deal with it.

edit: just saw the name of the one character who's inclusion would make me go into a blind rage and had to edit this. SHREK. XD

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Who I don't want to get in... just these 10

1. Yet another character with another Marth inspired move set.
2. Sans
3. Skull Kid
4. the wiimote safety guy
5. Lycanroc
6. Minecraft Steve
7. Mipha
8. Paper Mario
9. Goku
10. Sephiroth

I'd sigh and roll my eyes at their inclusion; take a deep breath and deal with it.

edit: just saw the name of the one character who's inclusion would make me go into a blind rage and had to edit this. SHREK. XD
I really don't mean to make an argument, although this time I'm certain it's the right thread, but I'm honestly curious as to why you don't want Skull Kid, as he's my most wanted by far

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
1. Waluigi (Fanbase ruined my perception of him)
2. Steve
3. Crash
4. Rayman
5. Bandanna Waddle Dee
6. Rex and Pyra
7. Mach Rider
8. Spring Man
9. Paper Mario
10. Lloyd
11. Any Sonic character besides Tails; they're all cringe looking and ugh.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Master chief, and anyone who didn’t originate as a game character.

Chief because he’s never made any appearance on a Nintendo system, and if anyone from Microsoft somehow got in banjo & kazooie are the only deserving ones. The other is pretty self explanatory.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I really don't mean to make an argument, although this time I'm certain it's the right thread, but I'm honestly curious as to why you don't want Skull Kid, as he's my most wanted by far
While I enjoy the game he's from... I never liked the character himself. He just never appealed to me. I guess as a kid I didn't like his design that much... then when I got a little older and played the game again I didn't see Skull kid himself as the true enemy of that game since he was just being used as a puppet by Majora. The battle against him wasn't that memorable to me either... Started to make me wonder just why people like this guy so much. I don't hate him but haven't found a reason to be fond of him.

edit: I also find the design for Majora itself more appealing than Skull Kid.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Alright:
1. Waddle Dee
2. Gen 7 pokemon
3. Isaac
4. Rex and Pyra
5. Spring Man
6. Paper Mario
7. Tails
8.Lloyd
9. Heihachi
10. Waluigi ( deconfirmed at least)
11. Indie characters
12. Sephirot

Most of the popular choices to be honest.
Kinda bummed out if they chose the most wanted characters as newcomers since most of them have 0 appeal to me. Some of the characters I wanted got discomfirmed.

Single_Mom

Smash Cadet
Goku is really the only one I'd be against. Anything that doesn't originate in a videogame doesn't really deserve to be in smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not super against any character but of the ones who I'd rather get in others from their series

Incenaroar: I think Gen 7 just has a lot more interesting choices, not to mention there's a lot of existing Pokemon I'd like to see make the jump
Chorus Kids: The just kinda freak me out. I'd prefer Rythym Girl or Karate Joe
Rook (Xenoblade Chronicles X player character): Elma is just the more interesting one overall.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master chief, and anyone who didn’t originate as a game character.

Chief because he’s never made any appearance on a Nintendo system, and if anyone from Microsoft somehow got in banjo & kazooie are the only deserving ones. The other is pretty self explanatory.
Master Chief actually has a cameo via a Minecraft skin, so that's not entirely true. In fact, Master Chief was going to get a Halo DS game at some point. Beyond that, he has never had a Sony appearance, but he has had a legit Nintendo appearance. Of course, if you don't count a costume as a real appearance, that's fair too.

Not going to comment on the other stuff as that's understandable. I'm quite aware many Smash fans believe all 3rd parties should have a Nintendo history(it's not what Sakurai actually wants, mind you, as he thinks console wars are ridiculous), and that's very fair.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
In loose order
1- Non video game characters
2- Characters that have never appeared on a nintendo console (Cloud is cutting it real close)
3- Kingdom hearts characters. Dealing with The Mouse is dangerous business, and a lot of them just look plain boring to me.
4- Most indie characters
5- Another FE Marth clone.
6- Another gen 1 pokemon. I think it's kinda ridiculous that despite the rich history of the franchise, only three of them do not come from the first game. And one of these (Pichu) is the pre-evolution (and essentially a clone) of a 1st gen rep anyway. Let the later gens have their chances.
7- Takamaru. Didn't this guy only appear in one NES game that wasn't all that memorable? I wouldn't be mad if he got in, but I just don't understand why he has so many fans.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
The only characters I'd be truly against seeing in Smash are characters that are not primarily video game characters, like Goku and Shrek, or characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo console, like Master Chief.

I'm all for Wreck-It Ralph, though. He's the one exception.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I bet this thread was very excited at the reveal of our beloved space dragon. Rereading all these posts has me loling at the amount of Ridley hate, many of them mere HOURS before his reveal. But hey, no bad blood just marveling at the glorious irony.

That aside my answers are....

1. Isaac: not familiar with Golden Son or any of its characters. The only reason I know it exists is because of Brawl. So meh, I wouldn’t be outraged necessarily but I don’t want him either.

2. Incineroar: we’ve got charizard as our fully evolved fire starter already I don’t want this dumb looking wrestle cat. Why does the gen 7 rep NEED to be a starter anyhow? We’ve got 4 starters already, lets get a regular Poke up in here. I want Kommo-o personally.

3. Isabelle: Don’t make me kill it... I don't wanna beat it up. Come on now, she’s just a little puppo. She wants love not death.

Rayman: the Artsy Omney leak is the only reason people want him. Or at least why he’s had such traction as of ultimate speculation. Never played a Rayman game before and I don’t personally know anyone that gives a **** about him. Don’t like him, or his annoying rabbit friends.

That’s about it, the only character on this list that would really upset me if added is Incineroar. The rest I could honestly live with tbh.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Master Chief actually has a cameo via a Minecraft skin, so that's not entirely true. In fact, Master Chief was going to get a Halo DS game at some point. Beyond that, he has never had a Sony appearance, but he has had a legit Nintendo appearance. Of course, if you don't count a costume as a real appearance, that's fair too.

Not going to comment on the other stuff as that's understandable. I'm quite aware many Smash fans believe all 3rd parties should have a Nintendo history(it's not what Sakurai actually wants, mind you, as he thinks console wars are ridiculous), and that's very fair.
A cancelled early development title that the developers themselves even stated wasn’t gonna ever happen doesn’t justify him getting in imo, and you’re right I don’t consider a costume in a different game really good enough to get in.

But even if he did have a legitimate appearance on a Nintendo console, I still wouldn’t want him in simply for the reason i stated earlier; if ANYONE from Microsoft somehow gets in, Banjo and kazooie are the only truly deserving ones, they were more or less Nintendo characters themselves when Nintendo actually owned rare. IMO it’d be not only disrespectful to the original rare team who created bk for Nintendo systems, but also gamers, especially older ones, to shelve bk in favor of Chief, regardless of the fact that MC is an overall more popular character.

If there ever came a day where Chief got in, I’d only tolerate it if bk got in first. I wouldn’t like it, but I’d tolerate it.

I’ll never tolerate a cartoon character like goku or Mickey Mouse, though. The day one of them gets in, is the day I quit smash permanently.

Last edited:

Garbage Cat

Smash Rookie
Steve (Minecraft): The only reason I don't really want Steve in the game would be because I find Steve to be such a visually disgusting character, though I think Steve would have a lot of moveset potential. If Steve was somehow made to look visually appealing and fit into the cast aesthetically, I think I would be fine with him, but if he looked a lot like he did in Minecraft/Minecraft: Story Mode, it would very much so rub me the wrong way.

Bandanna Dee: Bandanna Dee just comes off as an uninteresting character to me, both visually and in terms of combat abilities and such. I also think that there's many, many much more interesting characters from the Kirby series that I'd prefer to see over Bandanna Dee, but if both Bandanna Dee and Marx were in Ultimate, I wouldn't mind him much.

Waluigi: I used to like Waluigi in an ironic sense, but I'd never really want to see him in Smash, and especially after seeing the vocal minority of Waluigi's fanbase after him being confirmed as an assist trophy. I wouldn't be too hyped or feel very much in general if he were to be revealed as a character, similar to how I felt when Rosalina was revealed. Even when a character I don't know much about like K. Rool is revealed, at least I'm happy and hyped for him because their fanbase finally got what they want, but deep inside I kind of hope that the toxic minority of the Waluigi fanbase that want him to be playable never get what they want.

Sora: I don't necessarily want Sora to never get to be playable, but I'm apprehensive to support him being in the game, simply because of his affiliation with Disney. I wonder how Sakurai would be able to add Sora in the game while avoiding all references to Disney material, while somehow not making him a husk of his actual character.

Spring Man(???): I know that he'd have to be in the game for this to happen, but I think I would rather other ARMS characters to be playable, like maybe Twintelle, Mechanica, or Helix because I find them much more visually interesting than Spring Man. Like with Waluigi, I don't think I would feel very much if I saw Spring Man in the game, (though with how good the current newcomer reveal trailers for Ultimate are, maybe Spring Man's hypothetical reveal trailer would even get me excited for him) but I wouldn't mind his presence very much if another ARMS character is in. Unfortunately for me, I think Spring Man is more likely to be DLC (if DLC happens) and, unless if he gets revealed with a Ribbon Girl echo, I don't think a second ARMS character is likely.

Edit: I didn't really notice this until right after I posted this, but I guess this list is ordered from, from top to bottom, characters I don't really want to see, to characters I'm a bit conflicted about.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A cancelled early development title that the developers themselves even stated wasn’t gonna ever happen doesn’t justify him getting in imo, and you’re right I don’t consider a costume in a different game really good enough to get in.

But even if he did have a legitimate appearance on a Nintendo console, I still wouldn’t want him in simply for the reason i stated earlier; if ANYONE from Microsoft somehow gets in, Banjo and kazooie are the only truly deserving ones, they were more or less Nintendo characters themselves when Nintendo actually owned rare. IMO it’d be not only disrespectful to the original rare team who created bk for Nintendo systems, but also gamers, especially older ones, to shelve bk in favor of Chief, regardless of the fact that MC is an overall more popular character.

If there ever came a day where Chief got in, I’d only tolerate it if bk got in first. I wouldn’t like it, but I’d tolerate it.

I’ll never tolerate a cartoon character like goku or Mickey Mouse, though. The day one of them gets in, is the day I quit smash permanently.
Master Chief is a huge gaming icon is significantly more popular and important to gaming as a whole than B&K are, as they are obscure, and while popular, nowhere on his level.

Banjo & Kazooie are old games that were major pieces of N64 history, but did nothing to shape gaming as a whole. Please don't dismiss major games(including Killer Instinct, which actually did shape gaming as a whole) over this silly insult thing. Don't take it so seriously. They're just popular characters with a vocal minority. The reality is, Microsoft has IP's that are not just more popular, but actually are gaming icons or shaped gaming history. Halo getting content while B&K did not is beyond justiifiable by the hard fact Halo recreated FPS's and reshaped gaming as a whole. Minecraft reinvented the sandbox genre. Killer Instinct shaped fighting history for a long time. It doesn't get the credit it deserves, but the reality is Smash would not have an announcer if Killer Instinct didn't start that trend. Or Combos(no, Street Fighter didn't start combos as an idea. It was a glitch. KI actually made Combos into a legitimate mechanic). Finally, it created the Combo Breaker, something used to this day). The reality is, Banjo & Kazooie did not do anything special for gaming as a whole. They are however legitimately extremely top notch N64 games and did improve on Donkey Kong 64's rather badly done collectathon. Super Mario 64 still shaped gaming when it came to collectathons. B&K... did not. No games bother to copy or get inspired from B&K beyond Yooka Laylee at best.

It's better to not treat them as some gaming icon when they absolutely are not. And unfortunately since Microsoft let it die, probably never will. When you put a good game on such a high pedestal, you forget actual gaming history. Of course, it's absolutely your favorite Rare choice and you should beyond support it, not settling for other options. That's beyond fair. But it's unfair to dismiss more important games in history as well. I mean, would it really surprise you if the only Microsoft IP is Smash is Minecraft? A game that shaped the sandbox genre for years to come? Before Microsoft even bought it, it was already a gaming icon. In fact, it was cultural too. Did you know the merchandise started before Microsoft bought it? Yes, that's right, it was a worldwide icon and still is today. The only thing Microsoft did for the franchise in any way is help them appear on systems besides the PC. That's it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean, would it really surprise you if the only Microsoft IP is Smash is Minecraft?
Yes, I, and I'm sure many others, would be. Your points are valid they aren't icons though they probably could have been if the buyout never occurred, but at the same time even after all these years they have maintained a massive love by gamers and with the ballot people have made it clear they want to see Banjo come home. I don't think it's very likely Sakurai will approach Microsoft and not get the duo along with whoever else he deems worthy. In terms of recognizability Microsoft certainly has bigger IPs but that doesn't mean people want to see them more than B&K.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, I, and I'm sure many others, would be. Your points are valid they aren't icons though they probably could have been if the buyout never occurred, but at the same time even after all these years they have maintained a massive love by gamers and with the ballot people have made it clear they want to see Banjo come home. I don't think it's very likely Sakurai will approach Microsoft and not get the duo along with whoever else he deems worthy. In terms of recognizability Microsoft certainly has bigger IPs but that doesn't mean people want to see them more than B&K.
It also doesn't mean he thinks B&K are worth it.

Did you know he very quickly dismissed them during Melee? "Banjo and Kazooie: “Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that’s unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons.” " They were literally put in the same area as James Bond, considered but quickly dismissed.

The reality is, they're very popular, but still not icons here. Sakurai doesn't even treat them as close to that at all. They could get in, but it wouldn't be unrealistic to just see some Minecraft content and that's it. As I said before, they're being way overrated in their chances of showing up. Now, I would like them to show up too in some way, as Smash honestly barely gives the N64 its dues. But it's not like they're the only big N64 game or anything like that. If his goal is to go for gaming history, which so far has been the case bar Bayonetta(though she's definitely shaping up as an icon) and possibly Geno, he hasn't clearly shown caring about more obscure properties just because it has some popularity alone. In fact, when he mentions he wanted Geno in Smash, he doesn't mention whatsoever about actual fan requests. He wanted him in Brawl, for unknown reasons. His ballot requests did help him gain a Mii Fighter costume, but that was probably just a case of "Oh, I can prove to Square-Enix the character will sell" and nothing more.

There's no honest reason to believe he'd easily go for obscure characters like these guys. Ballot will help, but he still has to deal with legal reasons beyond Microsoft, who only one person in the company is for it. He has a board of directors to deal with. Minecraft absolutely is in a better position as there's enough a Minecraft-Themed 3DS. That's a Nintendo console that has a Microsoft IP being used to sell it. That's a huge deal. B&K need to be more than just popular enough for Sakurai to consider(which I'm sure he will, no doubt). He has to be agreeable to all of Microsoft and Nintendo. That's way too hard to say. The only actual latest Microsoft content these days are purely Minecraft-related when it comes to Nintendo appearances. That includes Halo and B&K content, as the last game related to Rare(beyond a VC option, which was Donkey Kong stuff only) was a Diddy Kong Racing game. And Diddy Kong Racing DS didn't have Conker and Banjo in it, showing that it's not that easy to license out either. Things are not that simple and it shouldn't surprise anyone if they were left out of Smash entirely. Banjo & Kazooie having a Nintendo history is not going to help them appear in Smash in itself. It's not even something to care about(when it comes to Sakurai, anyway). There are actual things, like their vast popularity, tons of requests, the potential hype and sales it could bring. Nintendo history? Sakurai doesn't care, he wants to forget console wars. It's why he chose Cloud, because he has even less Nintendo history than all the other 3rd parties actually in Smash. And for good reasons. It misses the point of 3rd parties, to have gaming history and be the biggest and the best. There's going to be exceptions to that(B&K, Geno, Bayonetta) and that's fine. But it's important to remember what he's actually looking for too when speculating.

I just don't want people to get their hopes up for a thing that's 50/50 at best. Trust me, the last thing I want to deal with as a Mod is the backlash if they don't get in. It will be a disaster if a more important Microsoft IP gets in. No matter who it is(well, okay, there's 3 more important characters right now when it comes to gaming history, but still).

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I do want a Minecraft stage however, that would be pretty sweet. Heck it would be cool to have Minecraft items in stage builder.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It also doesn't mean he thinks B&K are worth it.

Did you know he very quickly dismissed them during Melee? "Banjo and Kazooie: “Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that’s unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons.” " They were literally put in the same area as James Bond, considered but quickly dismissed.

The reality is, they're very popular, but still not icons here. Sakurai doesn't even treat them as close to that at all. They could get in, but it wouldn't be unrealistic to just see some Minecraft content and that's it. As I said before, they're being way overrated in their chances of showing up. Now, I would like them to show up too in some way, as Smash honestly barely gives the N64 its dues. But it's not like they're the only big N64 game or anything like that. If his goal is to go for gaming history, which so far has been the case bar Bayonetta(though she's definitely shaping up as an icon) and possibly Geno, he hasn't clearly shown caring about more obscure properties just because it has some popularity alone. In fact, when he mentions he wanted Geno in Smash, he doesn't mention whatsoever about actual fan requests. He wanted him in Brawl, for unknown reasons. His ballot requests did help him gain a Mii Fighter costume, but that was probably just a case of "Oh, I can prove to Square-Enix the character will sell" and nothing more.

There's no honest reason to believe he'd easily go for obscure characters like these guys. Ballot will help, but he still has to deal with legal reasons beyond Microsoft, who only one person in the company is for it. He has a board of directors to deal with. Minecraft absolutely is in a better position as there's enough a Minecraft-Themed 3DS. That's a Nintendo console that has a Microsoft IP being used to sell it. That's a huge deal. B&K need to be more than just popular enough for Sakurai to consider(which I'm sure he will, no doubt). He has to be agreeable to all of Microsoft and Nintendo. That's way too hard to say. The only actual latest Microsoft content these days are purely Minecraft-related when it comes to Nintendo appearances. That includes Halo and B&K content, as the last game related to Rare(beyond a VC option, which was Donkey Kong stuff only) was a Diddy Kong Racing game. And Diddy Kong Racing DS didn't have Conker and Banjo in it, showing that it's not that easy to license out either. Things are not that simple and it shouldn't surprise anyone if they were left out of Smash entirely. Banjo & Kazooie having a Nintendo history is not going to help them appear in Smash in itself. It's not even something to care about(when it comes to Sakurai, anyway). There are actual things, like their vast popularity, tons of requests, the potential hype and sales it could bring. Nintendo history? Sakurai doesn't care, he wants to forget console wars. It's why he chose Cloud, because he has even less Nintendo history than all the other 3rd parties actually in Smash. And for good reasons. It misses the point of 3rd parties, to have gaming history and be the biggest and the best. There's going to be exceptions to that(B&K, Geno, Bayonetta) and that's fine. But it's important to remember what he's actually looking for too when speculating.

I just don't want people to get their hopes up for a thing that's 50/50 at best. Trust me, the last thing I want to deal with as a Mod is the backlash if they don't get in. It will be a disaster if a more important Microsoft IP gets in. No matter who it is(well, okay, there's 3 more important characters right now when it comes to gaming history, but still).
I mean aren't you kind of missing why he didn't pick them? It's not he didn't think they were worth including but rather outside factors that made their inclusion unfeasible. In fact, I'd say he clearly thought well enough of them if he considered them for Melee. We don't know how important Sakurai views as other than saying they just couldn't happen he's never mentioned them which isn't surprising given their unique situation. Sakurai may not care for Nintendo history when picking large 3rd parties but he does care about Nintendo characters which B&K are even though they are now owned by Mircosoft. Also with the ballot fans have made it clear who the fans actually want from Microsoft. If he sits down to negotiations I doubt he's going to walk away without Banjo and Kazooie. I mean look at this way Phil Spencer answered requests Banjo that should be pretty telling about who fans are asking to join from Microsoft. Megaman, Sonic, and Cloud were also highly requested 3rd parties. While I do think there can be more at play than popularity due to the complication of working between two companies, it would be far stranger if Minecraft or Halo got into Smash without B&K.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean aren't you kind of missing why he didn't pick them? It's not he didn't think they were worth including but rather outside factors that made their inclusion unfeasible. In fact, I'd say he clearly thought well enough of them if he considered them for Melee. We don't know how important Sakurai views as other than saying they just couldn't happen he's never mentioned them which isn't surprising given their unique situation. Sakurai may not care for Nintendo history when picking large 3rd parties but he does care about Nintendo characters which B&K are even though they are now owned by Mircosoft. Also with the ballot fans have made it clear who the fans actually want from Microsoft. If he sits down to negotiations I doubt he's going to walk away without Banjo and Kazooie. I mean look at this way Phil Spencer answered requests Banjo that should be pretty telling about who fans are asking to join from Microsoft. Megaman, Sonic, and Cloud were also highly requested 3rd parties. While I do think there can be more at play than popularity due to the complication of working between two companies, it would be far stranger if Minecraft or Halo got into Smash without B&K.
It's more the fact that James Bond and Banjo were lumped together into a "quickly dismissed" that is important to note. Legal issues are a big deal.

But this is still assuming Sakurai wants B&K in Smash. It was just the most popular Rare N64 game at the time along with Goldeneye 007 and they respectfully had fan votes at the time. It's understandable to acknowledge that. It definitely doesn't show he considers them important either. The point is, he didn't give them any major thought beyond what I said. They were considered as much as Takamaru was, which pretty barely.

I honestly think he will consider them, but let's not pretend for a moment we know if he thinks they deserve a place. This is what I meant by putting them on a pedestal. They are not that important to gaming history. There's no denying that. They are respectfully awesome games(and being I own them, I can definitely say I like them), but they're competing with huge gaming icons to begin with while being very obscure and a dead franchise. That means there's a perfectly reasonable chance they can be low priority. The ballot isn't everything. It's also possible they could just be Trophies and that's it.

I just hope people are prepared for them not even being in the game or not being more than an AT. It can happen. Though them being in the game would still be cool, playable or not. I mean, if you're trying to represent the N64 history, they should be there. But it's been clear that's not what Sakurai is going for, but gaming as a whole. That's something that hurts them a lot. All they have fully going for them is the ballot itself. The negotiations are too iffy and with huge competition from vastly more popular and iconic Microsoft IP's, they could very well be a lower priority. IMO, I do think they'll have at least a minor game appearance if we get Microsoft content at all, but I can't seriously bank on that as some kind of guarantee or even a safe guess. Just a hopeful idea.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's more the fact that James Bond and Banjo were lumped together into a "quickly dismissed" that is important to note. Legal issues are a big deal.

But this is still assuming Sakurai wants B&K in Smash. It was just the most popular Rare N64 game at the time along with Goldeneye 007 and they respectfully had fan votes at the time. It's understandable to acknowledge that. It definitely doesn't show he considers them important either. The point is, he didn't give them any major thought beyond what I said. They were considered as much as Takamaru was, which pretty barely.

I honestly think he will consider them, but let's not pretend for a moment we know if he thinks they deserve a place. This is what I meant by putting them on a pedestal. They are not that important to gaming history. There's no denying that. They are respectfully awesome games(and being I own them, I can definitely say I like them), but they're competing with huge gaming icons to begin with while being very obscure and a dead franchise. That means there's a perfectly reasonable chance they can be low priority. The ballot isn't everything. It's also possible they could just be Trophies and that's it.

I just hope people are prepared for them not even being in the game or not being more than an AT. It can happen. Though them being in the game would still be cool, playable or not. I mean, if you're trying to represent the N64 history, they should be there. But it's been clear that's not what Sakurai is going for, but gaming as a whole. That's something that hurts them a lot. All they have fully going for them is the ballot itself. The negotiations are too iffy and with huge competition from vastly more popular and iconic Microsoft IP's, they could very well be a lower priority. IMO, I do think they'll have at least a minor game appearance if we get Microsoft content at all, but I can't seriously bank on that as some kind of guarantee or even a safe guess. Just a hopeful idea.
You know you keep bringing up they aren't important to gaming history and I will agree but so what? Sakurai wanted to add Geno and he couldn't get him but he has no gaming history. Banjo may not be important to gaming as a whole but he does have an interesting gaming history. Rare practically made the N64 so their mascot signifies some gaming history. At the end of the day history or no history it's very doubtful Sakurai is going to pass them over. The ballot may not be everything but it's enough that I feel comfortable saying that if Minecraft or Halo gets a place B&K will be there too. From a casual perspective what you say does make sense and from that perspective, it would be possible that they were passed over, but it's not casuals we have to thank for characters like Ridley, K Rool, Megaman, or Little Mac. Heck Bomberman is an AT that certainly isn't because of the casual crowd. And even then I think you are underestimating just how much impact these too coming back to Nintendo would make. There is a reason their legacy has endured for so long, there is a reason that a spiritual successor generated so much hype, there is a reason they are so requested. You can you say there's a reasonable chance they would be low priority but I'm very confident there's no chance they wouldn't be target number 1 for Sakurai.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know you keep bringing up they aren't important to gaming history and I will agree but so what? Sakurai wanted to add Geno and he couldn't get him but he has no gaming history. Banjo may not be important to gaming as a whole but he does have an interesting gaming history. Rare practically made the N64 so their mascot signifies some gaming history. At the end of the day history or no history it's very doubtful Sakurai is going to pass them over. The ballot may not be everything but it's enough that I feel comfortable saying that if Minecraft or Halo gets a place B&K will be there too. From a casual perspective what you say does make sense and from that perspective, it would be possible that they were passed over, but it's not casuals we have to thank for characters like Ridley, K Rool, Megaman, or Little Mac. Heck Bomberman is an AT that certainly isn't because of the casual crowd. And even then I think you are underestimating just how much impact these too coming back to Nintendo would make. There is a reason their legacy has endured for so long, there is a reason that a spiritual successor generated so much hype, there is a reason they are so requested. You can you say there's a reasonable chance they would be low priority but I'm very confident there's no chance they wouldn't be target number 1 for Sakurai.
Halo and Minecraft is able to get a place solely due to their gaming history. They don't need fan requests to get in. They're severely huge. They're basically super easy to get in on their own merits. Halo obviously has more trouble due to the nature of the series possibly not meshing well.

Being on one system does not make them important to gaming history as a whole.

And no, I already said they would be severely hype as is and yes, they'd make an impact. In fact, that's my point. They would have a reason beyond Nintendo history, which is mostly meaningless.

Also, we don't know why Geno was thought of by Sakurai in the first place, so he's meaningless to bring up. Him being obscure won't matter unless we know why Sakurai actually wanted him in Brawl. There's no context for the reason he thought he should be playable. When it comes to the Melee example, it doesn't mean he thought B&K should be playable, he just is acknowledging requests. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Besides that, he doesn't tell us why it didn't become a reality during Brawl either. That's something to note. We don't know any real details. Licensing? Obscurity made him impossible to decently be playable(no release in the UK makes him a Takamaru situation, so he could've been dismissed due to that alone). We know that Geno got a costume due to popularity, presumably ballot-based. But don't forget we already had Square-Enix on board first. In other words, he might not be able to even get B&K content, assuming he thinks they should be in(which we don't really know his legit opinion on it, just one CEO thinking it's a good idea).

I agree the ballot could vastly be enough too. No questioning that. I in fact think this is why he's got a really good chance. But I can't dismiss the bigger contenders due to their huge gaming histories either. They should not be ignored. I'm very hopeful he'll appear in Smash in some way. I think him being playable would be more unlikely than likely at this point, at least before the big guns. But it could happen. There's other circumstances to consider. Halo's guns could keep Master Chief out. He could have no inspiration for making Fulgore or Steve?(the other two major contenders) feel unique mechanic-wise. He could also be in with Steve? playable(or either of the other two). We might get zero content. We might get only a Minecraft stage and AT and that's it(no, I don't think it's guaranteed he'll ask for B&K content from Microsoft. I also don't think it's guaranteed the companies will agree on it. The only one I would say has a guarantee at best is Minecraft content, and that's due to the fact we have a Minecraft-themed 3DS, which is no small feat, and that we got exclusive Microsoft content in Minecraft Switch). I do think B&K are absolutely in the running. I just think they're being vastly overrated in their chances. I mean, if we had the choice of only 1 character, I would not personally pick them before Fulgore. If 2, I think they should be one of the two at least, as the second major option.

Keep in mind I think deserving should be for gaming icons unless the characters are severely close to Nintendo. Contrary to popular belief, I am not really supporting Geno getting in(though I think he's likely). And I love the game. Yes, I support my own guy, but I also don't think he has a chance or really should get in until he gets a revival/becomes relevant again.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Also, we don't know why Geno was thought of by Sakurai in the first place, so he's meaningless to bring up. Him being obscure won't matter unless we know why Sakurai actually wanted him in Brawl. There's no context for the reason he thought he should be playable.
The context doesn't matter. Sakurai was planning on adding a dead character with no gaming history. That's a huge part of your argument against Banjo and right there it shows Sakurai can go for more obscure options regardless of gaming history.
Yes he might not be able to come to terms with Microsoft but they are willing to work with him and I know you love you say Phil is just one guy but he is the head of the video game department and if you really want to argue his boss my stop him the only person he answers to is the same person who let Phil keep Minecraft as multiplatform after they spent all that money on acquiring the license, it's pretty unreasonable to think he'd have a problem with it. And I'm not ignoring the bigger names it's just there's no chance they won't come alongside Banjo. If they get in he's in. It's really that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The context doesn't matter. Sakurai was planning on adding a dead character with no gaming history. That's a huge part of your argument against Banjo and right there it shows Sakurai can go for more obscure options regardless of gaming history.
Not exactly. Let's note that Geno didn't get in before other major Square characters. Then again, like, the only one left is Slime besides him. He still couldn't get in till Cloud did. That's a major thing. Microsoft has a very low chance of not pushing their other big IP's in some way. There's no reason not to. That's actually the thing about Geno, he took lower priority over the bigger gun. B&K, if you want to fully compare them, most likely will too.

And of course the context matters. If he only considered Geno due to playing the game, that means obscure 3rd parties like that aren't going to happen very often at all. It's a special exception, not a common thing. If it's due mainly to fan demand he thought it was a good idea for Brawl, that means he'll go for lesser guys due to the ballot. Bayonetta only had recency on her side via Nintendo helping publishing her, making her super easy to think of making playable. She did not have significant fan demand before the ballot in the same way(and the datamines make it most likely she was decided for another reason. And she's less obscure than Geno too).

Yes he might not be able to come to terms with Microsoft but they are willing to work with him and I know you love you say Phil is just one guy but he is the head of the video game department and if you really want to argue his boss my stop him the only person he answers to is the same person who let Phil keep Minecraft as multiplatform after they spent all that money on acquiring the license, it's pretty unreasonable to think he'd have a problem with it. And I'm not ignoring the bigger names it's just there's no chance they won't come alongside Banjo. If they get in he's in. It's really that simple.
Phil cannot ignore his boss, the board of directors, Sakurai, and Nintendo board of directors either. No, it's not that simple. You're implying all of them will agree. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Phil does not make crossover decisions just like that. He has to work with and negotiate. Minecraft content has a better chance, but it could be the only thing they agree on. Or maybe not.

You're way way overestimating how much power Phil has. It's nowhere near high enough to force Sakurai to agree to the character. And Nintendo. And the Board of Directors. And his Boss. And any other major Nintendo employees that are separate from the Board of Directors. The first and most important thing is Sakurai actually would want to go for B&K. This is still an If at this point, not a When. Negotiations are nowhere near that easy for licensing third parties from a competitor. The only big thing Banjo has a bit going for him is Nintendo and Microsoft agreeing on a 3DS with a Minecraft theme. That means they don't care nearly as much about "competition issues". In fact, it's not just that, but the crossplay too. Honestly, if it weren't for this, B&K would have vastly lower chances, since the companies weren't already working together/willing to do so.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Not exactly. Let's note that Geno didn't get in before other major Square characters. Then again, like, the only one left is Slime besides him. He still couldn't get in till Cloud did. That's a major thing. Microsoft has a very low chance of not pushing their other big IP's in some way. There's no reason not to. That's actually the thing about Geno, he took lower priority over the bigger gun. B&K, if you want to fully compare them, most likely will too.

Phil cannot ignore his boss, the board of directors, Sakurai, and Nintendo board of directors either. No, it's not that simple. You're implying all of them will agree. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Phil does not make crossover decisions just like that. He has to work with and negotiate. Minecraft content has a better chance, but it could be the only thing they agree on. Or maybe not.

You're way way overestimating how much power Phil has. It's nowhere near high enough to force Sakurai to agree to the character. And Nintendo. And the Board of Directors. And his Boss. And any other major Nintendo employees that are separate from the Board of Directors. The first and most important thing is Sakurai actually would want to go for B&K. This is still an If at this point, not a When. Negotiations are nowhere near that easy for licensing third parties from a competitor. The only big thing Banjo has a bit going for him is Nintendo and Microsoft agreeing on a 3DS with a Minecraft theme. That means they don't care nearly as much about "competition issues". In fact, it's not just that, but the crossplay too. Honestly, if it weren't for this, B&K would have vastly lower chances, since the companies weren't already working together/willing to do so.
I'm not overestimating how much power he has. He is above video games for the entire company managing this stuff is his job but again even if it wasn't there's no one above him would stop him again because of Minecraft. It made so much more financial sense to make that the killer app for Xbox and they let it on every system out there. If they did that why would his boss or board of directors care about licensing an IP they don't even use? That makes no sense. And I'm not saying Phil would make Sakurai take him. Of course, he can't do that but he wouldn't need to. Again there's no situation Sakurai goes to Microsoft and doesn't try to get Banjo. He's not going to approach them for just Minecraft or just Halo. If either of those get in Sakurai is also going to go for Banjo. Also, we don't know how Geno compared to "bigger guns" Sakurai wanted him and couldn't get him. All we do know is later Square did allow access to Cloud. I don't think it came down to a "one or the other" situation.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Rayman: the Artsy Omney leak is the only reason people want him. Or at least why he’s had such traction as of ultimate speculation. Never played a Rayman game before and I don’t personally know anyone that gives a **** about him. Don’t like him, or his annoying rabbit friends.
Oh don't worry, Rayman DESPISES the Rabbids more than Rayman's FANS hate the Rabbids. They're definitely not friends even in the most basic sense.

link2702

Smash Champion
It’s late so I can’t cover everything atm, all I’ll say is please don’t think I have something against Minecraft, considering i liked the game enough to buy it on pc, my phone, my wii u, AND switch, it’s safe to assume I love Minecraft.

But I just feel that with them previously being more or less Nintendo characters themselves, b&k should get top priority over anyone else if a Microsoft character actually stands a chance of getting in.

EDIT: also bk aren’t even my number 1 pick for guest characters for smash. Just on the off chance we get a Microsoft character, I feel once again that they deserve that spot.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
B&K... did not. No games bother to copy or get inspired from B&K beyond Yooka Laylee at best.
We're on the same page with Master Chief, but really? The games that did get inspired by B-K were: Jak & Daxter (4/5 games, 3 of which were well-received), Ratchet & Clank (9/12 games) and Mario Sunshine. Ratchet's the only one still going strong while Mario's setting new standards, and unlike Yooka-Laylee, Ratchet is successful.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not overestimating how much power he has. He is above video games for the entire company managing this stuff is his job but again even if it wasn't there's no one above him would stop him again because of Minecraft. It made so much more financial sense to make that the killer app for Xbox and they let it on every system out there. If they did that why would his boss or board of directors care about licensing an IP they don't even use? That makes no sense. And I'm not saying Phil would make Sakurai take him. Of course, he can't do that but he wouldn't need to. Again there's no situation Sakurai goes to Microsoft and doesn't try to get Banjo. He's not going to approach them for just Minecraft or just Halo. If either of those get in Sakurai is also going to go for Banjo. Also, we don't know how Geno compared to "bigger guns" Sakurai wanted him and couldn't get him. All we do know is later Square did allow access to Cloud. I don't think it came down to a "one or the other" situation.
You're definitely overestimating his power because he isn't able to make the decision himself. He doesn't have that kind of power. Beyond that, no, there is no inherent case where he'll go to Microsoft because he's definitely gunning for Banjo. Let's please stop making that kind of assumption. There is no reason to believe he can't go to the company for the three biggest guns they have instead. The ballot may or may not influence why he goes to Microsoft. That's the problem with your argument, you're making an overeggerated case of his ballot status when we don't know what it was and that it will definitely make Sakurai want to go for him. That's not how it works. It may be a reason. That's how the lack of results work. They are vague. Do not take these online polls as gospel. And I'm actually thinking that's why he'll go to Microsoft, but it is in no way a guarantee of why.

Square also were flabberghasted at Sakurai's choices and it discussion with multiple people, not one person. He had to talk to the company to get the actual character.

You don't know why Geno wanted him, thus, he is useless to compare to Banjo. That's the point. Until both are in for the same reason, and reasons we know, the comparisons are too vague and missing tons of context.

We're on the same page with Master Chief, but really? The games that did get inspired by B-K were: Jak & Daxter (4/5 games, 3 of which were well-received), Ratchet & Clank (9/12 games) and Mario Sunshine. Ratchet's the only one still going strong while Mario's setting new standards, and unlike Yooka-Laylee, Ratchet is successful.
Those were from Super Mario 64. The actual influential game. Super Mario Sunshine is literally an updated Super Mario 64 with new abilities. How did B&K remotely influence these games? Please cite this, because that would be nice to know it actually influenced some games instead of being one-off masterpieces. Which sounds actually a lot like what Killer Instinct is, a severely influential fighting series that gets zero credit for some godawful reason.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You're definitely overestimating his power because he isn't able to make the decision himself. He doesn't have that kind of power. Beyond that, no, there is no inherent case where he'll go to Microsoft because he's definitely gunning for Banjo. Let's please stop making that kind of assumption. There is no reason to believe he can't go to the company for the three biggest guns they have instead. The ballot may or may not influence why he goes to Microsoft. That's the problem with your argument, you're making an overeggerated case of his ballot status when we don't know what it was and that it will definitely make Sakurai want to go for him. That's not how it works. It may be a reason. That's how the lack of results work. They are vague. Do not take these online polls as gospel. And I'm actually thinking that's why he'll go to Microsoft, but it is in no way a guarantee of why.

Square also were flabberghasted at Sakurai's choices and it discussion with multiple people, not one person. He had to talk to the company to get the actual character.

You don't know why Geno wanted him, thus, he is useless to compare to Banjo. That's the point. Until both are in for the same reason, and reasons we know, the comparisons are too vague and missing tons of context.

Those were from Super Mario 64. The actual influential game. Super Mario Sunshine is literally an updated Super Mario 64 with new abilities. How did B&K remotely influence these games? Please cite this, because that would be nice to know it actually influenced some games instead of being one-off masterpieces. Which sounds actually a lot like what Killer Instinct is, a severely influential fighting series that gets zero credit for some godawful reason.
It doesn't matter why he approaches Microsoft. He won't come away without Banjo. The only instance where Sakurai gets a Microsoft character without Banjo is if Sakurai expressly doesn't want them. Which why wouldn't he want to add them? He likes to please fans and he's considered them before. No matter if he goes in to get the Chief or Steve, Banjo is coming too. Now again regardless of whether or not I'm overestimating the head of the videogame department and the number 2 in in the company no one above him would stop the deal. Negotiations can fall through for any reason sure legal procedures are complicated but no one is going give him a hard no. That's unrealistic. They aren't going to tell him he can't work with Nintendo something he has stated he's done before.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, it's in the game designs. B-K is a collect-a-thon 3D platformer, which comes directly from Mario 64, but it stands out by featuring 2 characters in one being played at the same time: a symbiotic duo. One is mild-mannered, the other more cocky, and they assist eachother in gameplay. With Kazooie, Banjo can run faster (Turbo Trot/Talon Trot), jump higher (various moves), hover and fly. She also adds shooter elements thanks to her egg varieties and has sarcastic remarks in nearly every scene.

Mario Sunshine takes the SM64 formula and improves it, then throws the B-K dynamic on top with FLUDD, supplementing his gameplay by letting him jump even higher (Rocket Nozzle), run very fast (Turbo), hover (Hover) and throws in shooter elements thanks to the basic use of the water cannon. It's distinctly Mario at its core, but FLUDD provides the Kazooie-esque supplements but leaves her brash personality for a formal demeanor.

Ratchet & Clank games take the B-K formula and makes their mark with gunplay, as well as splitting the dynamic of the duo's roles more equally, unlike B-K. Ratchet provides the shooter, "run fast" and platforming basics while Clank provides the supplements. With him on your back you can jump higher and hover (Heli-/Thruster-pack), fly (various Clank upgrades) and in some games have him directly or involuntarily attack enemies while on your back. Instead of the mild-mannered lead, abrasive sidekick dynamic of B-K, R&C reverses it by having Ratchet act more like Kazooie and Clank act more like Banjo. The shooter elements speak for themselves, but this is where Ratchet takes matters into his own hands and forms the series' identity.

Then we have the Jak and Daxter games. Unlike B-K, SMS and R&C, Jak does 90% of the work; he's the Kazooie in skill but the Banjo in personality. He provides the gameplay as his guns and powers provide the supplements while Daxter provides the cocky attitude. He's the loudmouth on your back chewing the scenery and cracking jokes.

So yes, while the B-K games were built on the SM64 blueprint, they made their mark by combining 2 characters in one moveset. You have the main character who can perform the basics at least, and a character on his back that provides extra gameplay elements. A symbiotic relationship forms from this, and with the exception of Jak, neither Mario nor Ratchet and especially Banjo (who's useless without Kazooie) can complete their respective games in which this formula is present.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It doesn't matter why he approaches Microsoft. He won't come away without Banjo. The only instance where Sakurai gets a Microsoft character without Banjo is if Sakurai expressly doesn't want them. Which why wouldn't he want to add them? He likes to please fans and he's considered them before. No matter if he goes in to get the Chief or Steve, Banjo is coming too. Now again regardless of whether or not I'm overestimating the head of the videogame department and the number 2 in in the company no one above him would stop the deal. Negotiations can fall through for any reason sure legal procedures are complicated but no one is going give him a hard no. That's unrealistic. They aren't going to tell him he can't work with Nintendo something he has stated he's done before.
He didn't really "consider them". He tossed them aside because they weren't feasible. They had a lot of votes. He said it wasn't plausible due to licensing. That was the end of it. You're taking absolutely too much from the Melee quote I gave.

Regardless, yes, I can completely believe that he would go to Microsoft without wanting Banjo. Do you know why? Because I don't believe in that kind of assumption that it's the sole reason he'd care about trying to get something from Microsoft. That is putting Banjo on a giant pedestal which there's no way he should be. He's one of many reasons Sakurai can go to Microsoft, not the sole reason that can come up. Come on, we both know it's best to not assume his only possible intentions. Please don't give yourself way too much hope. It's seriously a possibility Banjo doesn't get in yet we get Minecraft content. You can be disappointed, but it's not a bad thing to set yourself up for the simple and extremely realistic possibility. Besides that, we know that not all of Sakurai's picks are ballot-related. Let's not assume his only Microsoft options will be that. It's a likely possibility, but a guarantee it is not.

BirthNote BirthNote I asked for citings, not fair reasons to believe it influenced it. Like, where do the developers talk about it? Those are definite coincidences otherwise(I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd honestly like some proof, that's all. :)). To go back to the KI comparison, you could argue Combos, while KI officially did them first, weren't really considered important till SFII did them. It is the first game to do so, but it might not have influenced it. It however indefinitely influenced the Combo Breaker. Announcer Chatter is the most infamous from KI, but it might not have given a reason for everyone else to do it(though it probably did, but then you have stuff like games with rosters just saying stuff, so it's not that obvious).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
He didn't really "consider them". He tossed them aside because they weren't feasible. They had a lot of votes. He said it wasn't plausible due to licensing. That was the end of it. You're taking absolutely too much from the Melee quote I gave.

Regardless, yes, I can completely believe that he would go to Microsoft without wanting Banjo. Do you know why? Because I don't believe in that kind of assumption that it's the sole reason he'd care about trying to get something from Microsoft. That is putting Banjo on a giant pedestal which there's no way he should be. He's one of many reasons Sakurai can go to Microsoft, not the sole reason that can come up. Come on, we both know it's best to not assume his only possible intentions. Please don't give yourself way too much hope. It's seriously a possibility Banjo doesn't get in yet we get Minecraft content. You can be disappointed, but it's not a bad thing to set yourself up for the simple and extremely realistic possibility. Besides that, we know that not all of Sakurai's picks are ballot-related. Let's not assume his only Microsoft options will be that. It's a likely possibility, but a guarantee it is not.
Steve is divisive and is not super big with the fanbase at large. Chief is just not wanted mostly due to the fan perception of Nintendo history mattering. To many people, Banjo is still a Nintendo character. I can safely say he heavily outperformed both without relying on fan data. He will not go to Microsoft with the intention of only grabbing the two former. In fact, I can use Geno as a great example here. When negotiating Cloud he still tried for Geno and that's how we ended up with a Mii costume. Sure he didn't manage to get both but he still tried and that's what matters here. Sakurai isn't going ignore the most of loved of the three characters and just not negotiate for them. That is why I so sure that if the other 2 make it Banjo will too. I suppose it is possible that another situation arrives where the two companies couldn't agree on terms for both but with how willing Phil is to work with Sakurai, I find it far more likely either Sakurai walks away with nothing or Banjo comes along with the bigger name. Negotiations are far more likely to just break down than Sakurai has to settle for one character. There is no real possibility we get Microsoft content and Banjo isn't a part of that deal.
Also because I forgot to mention it in my last post the thing about Geno is we don't need context about his inclusion. Geno was considered and Sakurai was willing to put in an irrelevant character from a dead franchise. Full stop. That's all we need to know. As long as Sakurai was ok with adding a 3rd party who no longer matters then why he didn't make it or for what reason he wanted Geno in the first place doesn't matter. All that matters is we do know is being a dead character doesn't disqualify a 3rd party and that's all we need to know Banjo is in play to be considered.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
In no particular order. No offense to fans of these characters.

Bandana Waddle Dee (too generic if you ask me)
Ninten
Paper Mario or any other Mario clone.
More Fire Emblem characters. We have more than enough already.
Issac (we have enough generic sword fighter characters)
Sora
Lloyd Irving
Tekken characters
Dante
Minecraft Steve
Master Chief
Goku (or any non-video game character)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve is divisive and is not super big with the fanbase at large. Chief is just not wanted mostly due to the fan perception of Nintendo history mattering. To many people, Banjo is still a Nintendo character. I can safely say he heavily outperformed both without relying on fan data. He will not go to Microsoft with the intention of only grabbing the two former. In fact, I can use Geno as a great example here. When negotiating Cloud he still tried for Geno and that's how we ended up with a Mii costume. Sure he didn't manage to get both but he still tried and that's what matters here. Sakurai isn't going ignore the most of loved of the three characters and just not negotiate for them. That is why I so sure that if the other 2 make it Banjo will too. I suppose it is possible that another situation arrives where the two companies couldn't agree on terms for both but with how willing Phil is to work with Sakurai, I find it far more likely either Sakurai walks away with nothing or Banjo comes along with the bigger name. Negotiations are far more likely to just break down than Sakurai has to settle for one character. There is no real possibility we get Microsoft content and Banjo isn't a part of that deal.
You make it sound like Minecraft having content isn't a big thing that and won't do very well. You are still putting Banjo way higher than he remotely deserves to be. No, he isn't this big gun in any way. He's a very popular character from a great franchise. He is nowhere near the top of Microsoft's major IP list. Let's please stop severely overrating his chances. I can't see Sakurai walking away at all regardless of Banjo, because he isn't the only reason to ever go to Microsoft.

Also, Banjo is the Geno of that analogy. But then we already have the one problem with your analogy, there is nothing to imply Sakurai wants him in the game. At all.

Also because I forgot to mention it in my last post the thing about Geno is we don't need context about his inclusion. Geno was considered and Sakurai was willing to put in an irrelevant character from a dead franchise. Full stop. That's all we need to know. As long as Sakurai was ok with adding a 3rd party who no longer matters then why he didn't make it or for what reason he wanted Geno in the first place doesn't matter. All that matters is we do know is being a dead character doesn't disqualify a 3rd party and that's all we need to know Banjo is in play to be considered.
No, we need to know why on earth he considered Geno in the first place in Brawl to ever compared it to Banjo. If it had nothing to do with fan demand at all, then Banjo is an irrelevant point as it assumes he's a huge fan of the Bear and Bird with absolutely nothing supporting that. Him considering the characters due to the fans and dismissing them doesn't mean he wants them playable. It just means that... he's answering the fans and what they asked for. That's all it actually means at that point. Again, Banjo is as likely as James Bond was, and nothing right now changes it to our knowledge. The ballot's results are unknown and aren't a good reason to believe Banjo is some kind of lock if Sakurai wants a Microsoft character. He might not even think it's a Microsoft IP worth going for. Noting the demand exists does not mean he is going to answer the demand. This is something you have to remember. Demand will not always be enough to begin with.

There are 4 major IP's right now that are with Microsoft worth getting. Killer Instinct(relevant, gaming history, recent), Minecraft(relevant, gaming history, recent, severe popularity), Halo(relevant, gaming history, recent, fan demand), and Banjo & Kazooie(only has fan demand on their side). He could go for any of these and walk away with only 1. The reality is? Yes, it could happen. It's pointless to deny this possibility. I don't think it's likely B&K won't show up at all, but I also don't feel it's right to overrate their chances when that would set me up for extreme disappointment if it doesn't happen(mind you, I also am not a major fan of them, but I do think they are a legit choice and a viable contender. Just not on the level of the other three IP's at this point. If it was not dead, then it would be). Fulgore legitimately has an issue with fan demand, unlike Minecraft, Halo, and B&K content. But that's the only thing going against it. I don't think Fulgore will be playable. B&K are a bit low and have decent chances. In fact, I honestly think there's a good chance we'll get no playable Microsoft characters overall. Maybe some AT's or other non-playable content at best. There's just too many negotiations and unknown factors to begin with. We don't know the ballot results and to act like B&K are super high is a bad idea. And I'm someone who thinks it's their only remote chance of ever being playable right now. Doesn't mean they will even be considered for Ultimate(as they may be just outdwarfed by tons of other characters, or the fact they're currently irrelevant might be enough to keep them out. Again, we can't compare this with Geno because his reason for being wanted in Brawl is unknown. It's a fallacy to think Sakurai will consider any irrelevant character just because he considered Geno. If it's fan demand, then yes, it's comparable to Banjo. If it's not, then the comparison falls flat entirely. Maybe he simply played SMRPG and that's all it was. Has he played B&K? Possibly? Maybe he didn't, and just noted the fact they got some votes and that was it).

Do you see the issue now? You're using a lack of information and pure want instead of looking at other valid possibilities. I mean, it's fair to think it's likely Sakurai is going to go for Banjo when going to Microsoft. I agree. It's likely. But a guarantee? No. Just a valid possibility. Also, I'll make it clear that the reason I'm trying to make sure you understand this so if we only get non B&K content in(a valid possibility), you understand why it was not as much of a guarantee as you and others think it was. I don't want people to set themselves up for disappointment instead of simply accepting things might not go the way they want. And again, I must note that I think he has a decent chance of getting in, but not by himself in any way. I can't see any reason for Sakurai to ignore the highly iconic other Microsoft content, which will sell the game even more since it'll grab multiple customers besides a small set of people who played in the n64 period(as an n64 vet myself, I know for a fact that there's too many people who don't know or care about B&K, meaning he will not be the best system seller ever either. Definitely will grab a set of fans, just not as much as characters like Sonic can, or even Master Chief, who appeals to a significantly bigger fanbase beyond Nintendo fans at best).

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I know this is a bit off the current topic but I'm super curious to hear your take on Shantae's chances of being playable. Your take in regards to Banjo-Kazooie has given me something new to consider and though I personally feel the character is justifiable for inclusion, I completely understand your reasoning as to the difficulty involved at the legal level. And being a Geno supporter myself, I also understand that adding Cloud first was basically a no-brainer (only in retrospect, though, I admit xD).

It's currently one of Nintendo's stated goals to give more exposure to the Indie scene and I can't imagine the correspondence with WayForward being difficult at all (being as they're all fans of Nintendo and cater to them a lot), outside of language barriers at least. Shantae could also be considered a "soft icon" being that she's at least near the top of the Indie scene. Though I'm completely open to a brutal interpretation of her chances if you'd be so willing.

Seeing as I wouldn't be able to examine her chances in a non-biased manner, I would like to hear the perspective of someone who's opinion I respect.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I guess the only character I can honestly say that I don't want is the Dragon Quest Slime. I would definitely love a DQ character in Smash, and I understand that the Slime is one of the most recognizable things from the franchise, but I just...don't want it to represent the entire series in Smash. It just doesn't feel right to me. In my opinion, the Slime works best as DQ's symbol, and using it like that would instantly make people realize that the character their being is from the Dragon Quest franchise even if they know nothing about the series other than the Slime.

For instance, if we were to get Alena from DQ4, the moment someone sees her symbol they'd instantly go "Oh! This character's from Dragon Quest". I just feel that an actual DQ character would be a better choice for Smash than Slime would. I understand it's iconic, but it'd be just as iconic being DQ's symbol.

I hope this didn't come off as mean, because that wasn't my intention. I respect people who actually want Slime, and I understand the reasoning for it, but I just wouldn't want it to take the place of an actual DQ character. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom