• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I don't want Isabelle playable because frankly I don't see her as that big of a character or how she would ever work aside from being a clone of Villager. Besides, I would 100% prefer Tom Nook.

I don't want Waluigi playable because that feels like scratching the absolute bottom of the barrel and even representing him through the different sports games seems boring to me.

I don't want Geno playable because he was only in one game and is not even the main character of said game. Granted with this one I will at least be happy for the fans of him.

I don't want Dark Samus because just adding "dark" in front of a characters name feels cheep.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't want Isabelle playable because frankly I don't see her as that big of a character or how she would ever work aside from being a clone of Villager. Besides, I would 100% prefer Tom Nook.

I don't want Waluigi playable because that feels like scratching the absolute bottom of the barrel and even representing him through the different sports games seems boring to me.

I don't want Geno playable because he was only in one game and is not even the main character of said game. Granted with this one I will at least be happy for the fans of him.

I don't want Dark Samus because just adding "dark" in front of a characters name feels cheep.
Yeah but Dark Samus is actually its own thing unlike copy characters like Dark Link or Dark Pit, so at least it's got that going for it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Crash Bandicoot: I just don't think Crash is a gaming icon, or a Nintendo one... Just, well, he's not big enough. Heck, Rayman barely is, but I'd understand him getting in because of Nintendo and Ubisoft's relationship... But Crash? He's a Sony icon, but I'd argue he isn't a gaming icon, he never reached the levels of Sonic, and compared to other characters like Banjo-Kazooie, he was never a Nintendo icon either like they were. I just don't see what good he'd do on the Smash roster. Metal Gear and Final Fantasy are both bigger gaming franchises worthy of characters in Smash, but Crash just ain't on that level in my opinion.
Not to put too fine of a point on it - I'm not really a Crash supporter and the MGS series is one of my all time favorites - but technically Crash is a bigger franchise than Metal Gear.

Crash Bandicoot: 56 million units
Metal Gear: 49 million units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

I'd say Crash was certainly a video game icon for the brief period of the late 90s. After that... well. You know.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I really don’t want Ashley. In my opinion, she wouldn’t make an interesting fighter at all. Nothing about her really “pops”, and she isn’t an important character from the games she’s in. I specifically don’t remember seeing her requested this much during the Smash 4 speculation period, but maybe I’m wrong.

Shovel Knight is another. It’s a fun Indie game, but that’s about it. I don’t think he’d make an interesting fighter, and wouldn’t bring any new playstyles to the game. If we need an Indie rep, it should go to Steve lol.

I also don’t want Karate Joe. I played Rhythm Heaven for the first time this month, and I can see why Sakurai allegedly went with Chorus Kids as the rep. They can do everything that Karate Joe can do and more, since a lot of the minigames involve trios. His design is so bland, and in my opinion he’d be a waste when the Chorus Kids can have both the speculated rhythm gimmick and a trio one.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
For me, I really don't want ANY non-video game characters. This is supposed to be a game where characters from several Nintendo franchises, as well as some third-party companies, fight for a free-for-all battle!

As for actual video game characters, any and all Echo Fighters. They're a waste of space IMO, might as well make them an alternate costume instead.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Not to put too fine of a point on it - I'm not really a Crash supporter and the MGS series is one of my all time favorites - but technically Crash is a bigger franchise than Metal Gear.

Crash Bandicoot: 56 million units
Metal Gear: 49 million units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

I'd say Crash was certainly a video game icon for the brief period of the late 90s. After that... well. You know.
Huh, didn't know that! Thanks! I guess because I didn't own a PlayStation at the time of the original trilogy I never felt how big Crash must've been. I suppose that does change things then, and I'd be more willing to see Crash show up.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
As for actual video game characters, any and all Echo Fighters. They're a waste of space IMO, might as well make them an alternate costume instead.
I mean that's basically what Echoes are. If you make them all alts they still take the same amount of work the only difference is one less square on the CSS. How does that change anything?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean that's basically what Echoes are. If you make them all alts they still take the same amount of work the only difference is one less square on the CSS. How does that change anything?
Not entirely true. Making them an echo still takes some work, it's just a very tiny amount. There's still animations, different Final Smashes(sometimes), balancing tweaks, costume changes, etc. Plus, some have their own voices, so that means recording new ones, which takes a bit of time. They're hardly a time sink, but they do take more time regardless than an alt alone. Alts often don't even have their own taunts, but more importantly, they don't need balance changes or any moveset tweaks, as the only thing of importance is animations(and sometimes a taunt or two or three).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Not entirely true. Making them an echo still takes some work, it's just a very tiny amount. There's still animations, different Final Smashes(sometimes), balancing tweaks, costume changes, etc. Plus, some have their own voices, so that means recording new ones, which takes a bit of time. They're hardly a time sink, but they do take more time regardless than an alt alone. Alts often don't even have their own taunts, but more importantly, they don't need balance changes or any moveset tweaks, as the only thing of importance is animations(and sometimes a taunt or two or three).
But that's nothing. I mean even alts have to tested to make sure they don't have issues. I mean they get just about everything a normal character gets. The voice announcer even calls them out like different characters. It's a difference of 5 minutes to 6 minutes. Sure one is technically longer but don't act like it matters at all.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Simon Belmont-not really digging the idea of having him really
Decidueye-I hate this dumb, overrated bird with all my being.
Geno-just.....not really, no
Takumi-one of the few FE characters I can't stand. I hate you, you screaming pineapple.
and most importantly,

Sans-god please no. Also, if you've legitimately spent time with friends playing Super Smash Bros Infinite, the brawl fan mod, you probably know my pain. If you don't, here's why he's a giant pain to fight:
His down-throw spike-kills most characters at 0 on the ledge (the ones with good enough recoveries can recover though, but a bit more percent and it will kill them too). Aforementioned down throw also puts them into tech chase positions that open them up for combos. His neutral b has a massive windbox that will kill most characters off the side at about medium percent or so. He is small, and floaty, so it's hard to combo him. He has Ness' backthrow. Finally, he has the Gaster Blaster or whatever it's called (idk bc I never played undertale, idk how the pronunciations work, I used to think naptsabluke was called MastahLuke). This is basically a Wario Waft that you can charge, except you can't fire it until it's fully charged. Basically, as you charge it, a light will pop up above Sans' head. When it's in it's final moments there will be a total of four lights in a row. But this is the important part: You can cancel it, and when it finishes charging, the charge disappears, with no indication that it is finished. What this means is that you can eb charging it, and finish charging it, and you'll know it's done, but your opponent won't be able to tell if it's done, or if you decided to cancel for mindgames. However, it can also lead to you not knowing if it's done. At the end, it's a fullscreen laser with the power of a fully charged Waft, killing at about 50. It has confirms, from back air and down throw via tech chase. Speaking of, let's talk about that down throw again. Remember how I said it puts you into a tech chase position? you can tech chase with another down throw, a back throw which kills at 90, a windbox that kills at 40, a fullscreen death laser that also kills at about 40, and more.
Funnily enough, it is the opinion of me and my friends, who have been exploring Infinite's characters competitively for god knows why, that he still isn't as good as Brawl Meta Knight.

I have played people who have played Brawl MK. Rayman, pre-patch Tails and Ashley, from Smash Crusade. pre-patch smash 4 characters.
None of them are as painful to fight as Sans in super smash bros infinite.
It's bad enough that undertale is already something that people really despise, but this.......this little **** has a special place of hatred in my heart.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But that's nothing. I mean even alts have to tested to make sure they don't have issues. I mean they get just about everything a normal character gets. The voice announcer even calls them out like different characters. It's a difference of 5 minutes to 6 minutes. Sure one is technically longer but don't act like it matters at all.
It's not "nothing". Let me say this as a person working on many games herself. These things still take time overall. And balancing movesets absolutely take more time... than not doing so. Echoes do take more times than Alts factually. It's just not a giant amount of time, like a clone even would be. If you do more work... it takes more time. Sakurai's entire point about Echoes is that while they're still easy to make, they're just easier than a regular clone. But he's never made any kind of point nor implied they're easier than an alt. They're just not hard to get out fast compared to more unique options.

-------------

Now for more on-topic stuff from me;

Anyone from Soul Calibur that isn't Nightmare/Siegfried: It's not that the other characters are bad or anything, but I feel he's the most deserving option overall. It also helps that he's literally the face of the series, and thanks to the everchanging story, can have quite a few unique alts, including even female ones thanks to SCV.

Characters who basically are from a non-game franchise but still created for a game: Like Android 21, I feel that it's a waste of time to try and put them in. Either put in Goku or don't worry about it. At least he's noteworthy as a 3rd party. I'm not really bothered if they're at least 1st party, but only if they have at least some video game appearances. Otherwise, anything more than a Mii Costume makes it feel like taking it a little far(and I don't expect it). Someone like Captain N is not a game character(outside of MUGEN, which doesn't really count) as is, regardless of their origins, because they lack a game appearance period.

Isabelle: The character is cool, but she's a pacifist who likes to help people. I just can't say her seriously fighting. The rest of the roster either would fight or at least has not shown any reason they would refuse to fight. The Mii Fighter costume is honestly good enough in the long run, as it's not the actual character and kind of silly looking. It doesn't do anything to undermine her personality in any way. Also not a fan of hurting such an innocent character. The Assist Trophy role feels beyond perfect for her and should be her spot. Of course, while I don't expect her to be upgraded to a character, it can happen. Just won't like it. Lastly, she's not a shoo-in, either. It's silly to say so. The only real shoo-in was Inklings and that's it. Anybody else are significantly more questionable due to actual characterization and/or balance problems. It's not like there aren't tons of characters who would fight but still be very popular either. 3rd parties exist and sell the game too. Just going for an all-star for the sake of it is silly. It would help if this wasn't a major reason she's added to lists, just because. Of course that's not to say she doesn't have legit fans either, but there's cases where "we need All-Stars, period" instead of looking at how she can bring stuff to the table, which is way more important.

Captain Toad: Besides preferring regular Toad, a different character, I feel like it would go against his only major defining trait(something Smash never does, as the main trait always exists) to make him Jump. A unique Jump animation would work, but the whole "backpack is lighter" thing is a serious copout and not even trying. Besides that, he doesn't feel any more unique than regular Toad at all. Having some new clothes doesn't make him stand out as iconic or anything. He's still a neat new character, but he's also about puzzles too. He could work, but only if he has a good excuse on how to actually get into the air, without a cheap solution that is a poor handwave. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'd like a really creative solution instead of a quick and boring one that takes away a defining trait. Definitely think an AT is warranted if he isn't playable, though.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Shantae, was put off from all of wayforward’s antics such as the see you in smash stuff.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's not "nothing". Let me say this as a person working on many games herself. These things still take time overall. And balancing movesets absolutely take more time... than not doing so. Echoes do take more times than Alts factually. It's just not a giant amount of time, like a clone even would be. If you do more work... it takes more time. Sakurai's entire point about Echoes is that while they're still easy to make, they're just easier than a regular clone. But he's never made any kind of point nor implied they're easier than an alt. They're just not hard to get out fast compared to more unique options.
I never said they took less time than alts but rather the differences are so minute from an alt and an echo that the increase in time spent is negligible. I mean seriously look at the Koopalings. They all have their own voice, they get announced by the announcer, and they even appear on the boxing ring and they still had to QA test every single action for each one of them to make sure they all worked properly. Lucina's difference from a Koopaling is the devs took the time to remove her tip and add a square on the CSS.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I mostly just don't want too many third parties, especially if we're not getting too many characters overall. It's already over 10% of the roster and while most of those spots are well deserved, Smash is a Nintendo showcase first and foremost.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I never said they took less time than alts but rather the differences are so minute from an alt and an echo that the increase in time spent is negligible. I mean seriously look at the Koopalings. They all have their own voice, they get announced by the announcer, and they even appear on the boxing ring and they still had to QA test every single action for each one of them to make sure they all worked properly. Lucina's difference from a Koopaling is the devs took the time to remove her tip and add a square on the CSS.
Also her different voice, taunts, and victory animations.
That's plenty more than an alt gets.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As someone who wants Geno more than anything. Sora.

I feel like Sora being in Smash Bros before Geno could be the absolute most disrespectful thing Square Enix could request. I mean, for once the Mouse is in my favor but the very idea would be the most heart breaking thing I have witnessed.

I'm also not very fond of Bandana Dee for the whole idea of his existence basically the same as why Blue/Yellow Toads from the NSMB games are a thing but I'd probably get over the salt in a day.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Again it's so little it's negligible
And again, it's not nothing. And if a different voice actor is involved, that's a whole nother monetary issue. Making a model that's more detailed (unlike the koopalings which are far easier) and animating it is a non-zero amount of resources spent

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's not nothing. It does take time to look good

And again, it's not nothing. And if a different voice actor is involved, that's a whole nother monetary issue. Making a model that's more detailed (unlike the koopalings which are far easier) and animating it is a non-zero amount of resources spent
Yes, it's not nothing, but it's a very small difference. The difference is so small in comparison to full characters that it doesn't matter. The original problem was someone said that echoes should be alts because echoes are a waste of time but the time they take is so similar so that solves nothing.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Isabelle: The character is cool, but she's a pacifist who likes to help people. I just can't say her seriously fighting. The rest of the roster either would fight or at least has not shown any reason they would refuse to fight. The Mii Fighter costume is honestly good enough in the long run, as it's not the actual character and kind of silly looking. It doesn't do anything to undermine her personality in any way. Also not a fan of hurting such an innocent character. The Assist Trophy role feels beyond perfect for her and should be her spot. Of course, while I don't expect her to be upgraded to a character, it can happen. Just won't like it. Lastly, she's not a shoo-in, either. It's silly to say so. The only real shoo-in was Inklings and that's it. Anybody else are significantly more questionable due to actual characterization and/or balance problems. It's not like there aren't tons of characters who would fight but still be very popular either. 3rd parties exist and sell the game too. Just going for an all-star for the sake of it is silly. It would help if this wasn't a major reason she's added to lists, just because. Of course that's not to say she doesn't have legit fans either, but there's cases where "we need All-Stars, period" instead of looking at how she can bring stuff to the table, which is way more important.
Couldn't agree with you more. Isabelle being a fighter, Echo or otherwise, would just be a gross misrepresentation of her character, especially considering her role as an Assist Trophy is literally perfect for her. I also can't really see anyone outside of hardcore Animal Crossing fans (almost sounds like an oxymoron, now that I say it) getting hyped over her inclusion, so I feel she'd be a bit of a bad choice on that front as well. I also kind of doubt she could reliably bring anything new to the table considering we already have Villager as the catch-all AC rep, and her being an Echo of Villager would make even less sense - can anyone honestly see her using a slingshot like that? Needless to say, if they just ignore all these issues and shoehorn Isabelle into the roster for no reason other than "muh promotion", I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Toon Zelda: I don’t want to see Zelda get another Clone as a rep

Hilda, Same as above,

Toon Ganondorf, I don’t want want Zelda to be Represented by just different versions of the same people

Ganon Same as above

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Couldn't agree with you more. Isabelle being a fighter, Echo or otherwise, would just be a gross misrepresentation of her character, especially considering her role as an Assist Trophy is literally perfect for her. I also can't really see anyone outside of hardcore Animal Crossing fans (almost sounds like an oxymoron, now that I say it) getting hyped over her inclusion, so I feel she'd be a bit of a bad choice on that front as well. I also kind of doubt she could reliably bring anything new to the table considering we already have Villager as the catch-all AC rep, and her being an Echo of Villager would make even less sense - can anyone honestly see her using a slingshot like that? Needless to say, if they just ignore all these issues and shoehorn Isabelle into the roster for no reason other than "muh promotion", I'm gonna be a little disappointed.
I mean, obviously some have actual moveset ideas for her and want to play as her. No denying that. But overall, the only reason she's considered likely is "cause my face", which isn't enough. That doesn't inherently get one in. You need to still be able to make a comprehensible moveset. Nothing wrong with wanting her, obviously, but you should want her for the right reasons, not "just cause face". Now of course, if a series isn't in the game, it makes sense to think the face is the most likely to be the first character, but of course it doesn't mean you have to like that option either(not everybody wants Spring Man, but feels he's the most likely).

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't want Ashley either. I guess I have the users who are opposed to Isabelle syndrome. I believe she can have an interesting move set but, I cannot for the life of me see her facial expressions after she's hit. Bring her in as the invincible background stage hazard.

Bernlord

Smash Rookie
1. Any anime character, especially Goku.
2. Steve from Minecraft.
3. Isabelle from Animal Crossing.
4. Sans.
5. Paper Mario (NOTE: I love Paper Mario 64 and TTYD, but we already have enough mario representatives as it is, but if he is in, I just won't care.)
6. Travis Touchdown.
7. Any MK characters.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Cloud. Solely because he doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo aside from little cameos on Nintendo systems here and there. This will absolutely change if Final Fantasy 7 would come to a Nintendo platform officially one way or another though (which I'd buy instantly), but as it stands, he feels like a Sony mascot in a Nintendo fighting game to me. Doesn't help that he's so good in Smash 4, either. (And yes I know Final Fantasy was once a big series on Nintendo platforms, but Cloud is not in any of those Final Fantasy games, so.)

Aside from Cloud, I don't want the likes of Master Chief, or Minecraft Steve. Cloud at least feels somewhat like he belongs, but either of those characters would honestly kinda ruin the game for me to a degree. I'd still love the game, but... each time I'd so much as look at the character select screen and see either of those on there, I'd just shake my head in severe disappointment and wonder where things went wrong.

Bernlord

Smash Rookie
Cloud. Solely because he doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo aside from little cameos on Nintendo systems here and there. This will absolutely change if Final Fantasy 7 would come to a Nintendo platform officially one way or another though (which I'd buy instantly), but as it stands, he feels like a Sony mascot in a Nintendo fighting game to me. Doesn't help that he's so good in Smash 4, either. (And yes I know Final Fantasy was once a big series on Nintendo platforms, but Cloud is not in any of those Final Fantasy games, so.)

Aside from Cloud, I don't want the likes of Master Chief, or Minecraft Steve. Cloud at least feels somewhat like he belongs, but either of those characters would honestly kinda ruin the game for me to a degree. I'd still love the game, but... each time I'd so much as look at the character select screen and see either of those on there, I'd just shake my head in severe disappointment and wonder where things went wrong.
Finally! FF has something to do with Nintendo, but Cloud? Not at all.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Shadow the Hedgehog and Rex/Pyra. Though Rex/Pyra is practically inevitable.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I've got another one. I don't want anyone from the Fate/Stay Night series. I've heard it originated as a game but I'm not sure (I've only seen part of the anime). I won't go into a rant of how much I despise that series but I might boycott Smash if I see one of those characters in the game.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
1. SIMON BELMONT (he'd just be takin' up spots from far more popular choices, like K. Rool or Geno)
2. STEVE (Minecraft)
3. Isabelle
4. DARK SAMUS (Why should metroid have 4 reps when DK, a far more popular series, only has 2?!)
5. anyone from Kid Icarus (Series is over-repped as is)
6. Another swordsman (Where's the spear/lance users?)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I don't want Chrom. We have more than enough Fire Emblem characters already. No more Fire Emblem characters, please.
Dark Samus. I'd rather have a non-clone character from Metroid instead.
Minecraft characters.
Rhythm Heaven characters. I'd rather have WarioWare characters instead.
Bandana Dee. He seems too generic to be a Smash character. I wouldn't be opposed, but I'd rather a different character.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
As of right now, sorry for fans of these characters:

1. Any Fire Emblem character. We have too many, and we'll get one from the Switch game as DLC. So none now.

2. Bandana Dee, sorry guys, I do think he's too generic and Kirby is perfectly represented

3. Most third party characters, particularly Microsoft owned ones, c'mon

4. Chorus Kids. I don't know if they're coming or not, but I don't care about them much.

There's others I don't care for much like Isabelle and whatnot, but I don't care if they get in. I also like Ashley and Geno, but I'm indifferent on them getting in or not.

Coup-per

Smash Rookie
so among everyone going nuts cheering for their favorite characters lets talk about whoms't make u angery and really hope they wont make it:100:
Cloud. He's totes OP.

so among everyone going nuts cheering for their favorite characters lets talk about whoms't make u angery and really hope they wont make it:100:
Wow, this really is an unpopular opinion. This is the first time I've seen anyone not want Inkling so congrats on that I guess!

Anyway, yeah, there really isn't a single character that I actively don't want. Really, the only thing that would upset me is Fire Emblem ever getting equal or above Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda again. Objectively, FE is just soooo much less important and iconic than the other three series. I still don't want any of the current FE characters cut, but it's time that Zelda finally gets some characters. I would honestly be fine if FE didn't get any new character for the next several installments and let the series that are actually deserving of newcomers get some first. At least, that's just me!
I, too wouldn't like Inkling because Splatoon is just bad Battlefront.

aarchak

Smash Ace
  • Sans - I am so sick and tired of Undertale anything that just the thought of Sans in Smash makes me cringe.
  • King K. Rool - I really don't like his design. I think I would still tolerate him in the game though.
  • Corrin - My irrational hate for Corrin makes me wish that he would just never have existed. I really wish that we got new FE reps for this game (like Hector and Alm), but whatever, it's fine. On that note, I also hope that we don't get any more FE reps. I love the series, but I think the current representation is fine (minus Corrin).

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Sans
If Undertale has an overrated character, then it would definitely be Sans. To me, he's the most overrated character from that game. Also, most of his want for Smash is simply because Undertale came to the Switch. Besides, if there's anyone from Undertale I would like to see, it'd be Asriel. Overall though, Undertale shouldn't be the game to represent indies. At best, they should have trophies in the gallery.

Chrom
Simply put, we have Robin and Lucina to represent Awakening. We don't need a third Awakening character. If anything, I would like to see a playable VILLAIN from this series. It would be cool to see Gharnef playable, just as an example.

Another Gen 1 Pokémon
Honestly, this is a generation that should not have as many playable reps as it currently does. Pokémon has over 700 creatures to choose from, and some could offer truly unique experiences to Smash.

Ninten
He's too identical to Ness, especially in look. Not to mention, if there's should be any Mother character added, it should be Giygas, as he could represent the really dark underside to the bright and colorful exterior of Mother.

A Non-Retro Final Fantasy Character or a second FF7 Character
I would actually love more FF, but I would prefer a character from FF9 backwards, excluding 7. They hold more significance to me than the more modern ones. I personally would love Freya playable, but that's a pipe dream and I know it. If anything, give us some OG Final Fantasy. Make GARLAND playable, with a Final Smash turning him into Chaos.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
A common occurrence I see in this thread is people saying character X because Character Y deserves it more!!!

That's not how roster selection works lol. If Sakurai thinks a character would be a cool addition he adds them. People need to get that misconception out of their heads.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A common occurrence I see in this thread is people saying character X because Character Y deserves it more!!!

That's not how roster selection works lol. If Sakurai thinks a character would be a cool addition he adds them. People need to get that misconception out of their heads.
However? I'm not sure that really matters here. The purpose of this thread is for people to express about characters they don't want in. As long as it's kept civil, of course, it really doesn't matter. Criticism is allowed, but this is a perfectly valid reason here. This is about who the user doesn't want, not Sakurai. Sakurai can be part of their reasonings, though.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but it does run against the point of this thread.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
However? I'm not sure that really matters here. The purpose of this thread is for people to express about characters they don't want in. As long as it's kept civil, of course, it really doesn't matter. Criticism is allowed, but this is a perfectly valid reason here. This is about who the user doesn't want, not Sakurai. Sakurai can be part of their reasonings, though.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but it does run against the point of this thread.
I see what you're saying, but for people to base the sole reason to not want a character is that they want someone else more is just... strange I guess. Idk it just kinda irks me so I said something.

But you're right, people can want (or don't want lol) what they want. I shouldn't be one to judge.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see what you're saying, but for people to base the sole reason to not want a character is that they want someone else more is just... strange I guess. Idk it just kinda irks me so I said something.

But you're right, people can want (or don't want lol) what they want. I shouldn't be one to judge.
A very legitimate criticism, yeah. But also would make the thread unusable too. Still, it isn't a bad thing to be brought up. :)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Chrom (As an echo of Ike)

I have seen an unfathomable amount of people supporting this idea, to which I ask, How?

Echo's like Lucina and Dark Pit are meant to be very minor alterations to their base character. They share fairly similar height, attack power and knockback and the exact same weight and launch direction. Even the Melee clones wouldn't be considered echos because of different stats and attack powers.

So first things first. Chrom's Falchion is NOT Ike's Ragnell. Falchion is one handed rapier while Ragnell is a 2 handed claymore. It would look exremely odd if Chrom's sword, which is the same as Marth's and especially Lucina's to suddenly look longer in game and do ludicrously more damage. Ragnell also has power over blue flames as seen in Erruption, Falchion does not. The point here is that Chrom couldn't naturally do Ike's moves.

Finally, it doesn't make sense thematically. Chrom is a descendent of Hero King Marth. Marth's fighting style is passed on through the generations and is seen in Lucina. And who taught Lucina how to fight like Marth? Her father. So why on God's green Earth, would Chrom not use the fighting style of his family and the daughter that he taught, in favor of swordplay used by a mercenary from a foreign continent that he never even knew.

Thematically Chrom would best serve as an alternate costume to Lucina.

Now if we want a more thematically appropriate echo of Ike, its the Black Knight. Not only did the two learn swordplay from the same teacher. But the Black Knight's sword, Alondite, is the twin sister of Ike's Ragnell complete with blue flames. Plus it would be cool to see an FE villain rather than another hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom