• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters with good rushdowns

Curbed

Smash Rookie
Hey I was hoping to get advice on a more aggressive character that isnt too campy in the meta game i.e. snake that has good approaches and has the speed/abilities to back a rushdown play style.

I main'd akuma in SF, so I was hoping for characters who have good mix up games and can pressure into big damage combos if played well (as in top tier level). Any advice/suggestions would be really appreciated.

I know in melee it's falco/fox but from the videos I watched they seemed really projectile spammy, while the video I watched of Mikehaze's marth seemed really aggressive. On the other hand, Marths in melee didn't seem a really offense oriented character with a fast play style, so I'm not too sure if it just looks fast paced in my perspective. I posted a similar thread in the melee section too, but since I plan on playing both games, and this game is very different in play style I hear, I'd like to get opinions from brawl players. Thanks!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Don't take my word for it, but this is a very defensive game. You can't really combo in this game so there goes any hope for that kind of character outside of maybe Meta Knight.

Of course, I'm a lapsed Brawl player so I may be wrong on this. If you want a more SF-esque experience, play Melee or even 64.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
Play the characters you avoided in the past. Usually that's the character your looking for.

Like Kuma said, brawl is fairly defensive. Combos are practically broken unless you can predict DI, air dodges, and combo breaks perfectly.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Good mix up game?

Not to be character biased, but yoshi. His advance techs are all for mindgames, and he can do alot of damage of you get momentum. Like olimar damage. :V

Fox still is a good rush down character in this game too if ya wanna try him out.

inb4playmetaknight

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Hey I was hoping to get advice on a more aggressive character that isnt too campy in the meta game i.e. snake that has good approaches and has the speed/abilities to back a rushdown play style.
Metaknight. Snake is as campy as ****. I don't know what you're talking about

I main'd akuma in SF, so I was hoping for characters who have good mix up games and can pressure into big damage combos if played well (as in top tier level). Any advice/suggestions would be really appreciated.
THERE ARE NO COMBOES IN MY BRAWL
Most characters don't have mixups, and it doesn't hinder them.

I know in melee it's falco/fox but from the videos I watched they seemed really projectile spammy, while the video I watched of Mikehaze's marth seemed really aggressive. On the other hand, Marths in melee didn't seem a really offense oriented character with a fast play style, so I'm not too sure if it just looks fast paced in my perspective. I posted a similar thread in the melee section too, but since I plan on playing both games, and this game is very different in play style I hear, I'd like to get opinions from brawl players. Thanks!
Marth is crazy aggressive once he gets his spacing right. Falco is laser oriented, but he uses it as an approach, usually, rather than just a damage racker.
Let me just say, you need to look at brawl with a completely new perspective.

Blissard

Smash Lord
If you don't like campy, then pick aggressive characters (though that's not necessarily a good thing...). Most of the high tiers projectile spam or hit-and-run, but if you like rapid attacks, best character is Marth. Or rather, the ONLY good aggro character. Space animals would also count, but you excluded them because they go pew pew with their lasers.

4nace

Smash Ace
Honestly sounds like you're talking about Sonic. But oh wait.... you said good.

Diddy matches this description fairly well too.

-4nace

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'd recommend Falco.

Watch a few DEHF/Larry videos and you'll see his potential.

Otherwise, default to Meta Knight.

Either way, iirc threads like these aren't supposed to exist. We aren't supposed to tell you who you should main. That's something you should decide through testing and experience.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium

if you're looking for top tier level and playing for the sake of winning using an aggressive style MK would be your best bet, Marth can also be played aggressively, generally this game can be very campy and defensive, but that of course varies from player to player, if anything I'd tell you to just test out each character's moveset in training mode see which one you like and go with that for the sake of fun, but all in all if you want to win you'd go with MetaKnight because he's just too easy to win with at high level play ^.^; (without having to play defensively)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The way I see it, play each character 3-5 times. Whichever one gives you the right feel in playstyle, then that should be the one to go with. Hope that helps.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
The way I see it, play each character 3-5 times. Whichever one gives you the right feel in playstyle, then that should be the one to go with. Hope that helps.
Then the chances of actually playing a character with a high learning curve (or prior knowledge before playing) such as the ice climbers for a while is low. Ice climbers has a river between "pick-up and play" and "Im going to main them".

I suggest going through every character learning the basics (combos, chain grabs, etc) so your main is someone you can comfortably play as. Nothing is worse than playing a character that does "flow" with you. If you cant do what you want to do when the opportunity comes up, either practice what you want to do or consider a different character. Everyone has their own play style that holds 1-3 players.

I chose the ice climbers because I like to confuse people with the usage of two characters on the field at once. People are less likely to grab or do a move like falcon's UpB to attack.

You may not know what you really want in your character yet. I didn't even consider the ice climbers until I remembered how to de-sync in a random tourney at a friends house.

Brawl and melee are different games. really only marths and sometimes falcos kept their main through the games seeing their playstyle is easily adaptable to the new game. I reccomend not picking anything off of what you did in melee.

Top Bottom