• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
IMHO any shmup character that is not from the Touhou series doesn't get a lot of support. It wouldn't be too hard to think up an awesome moveset for these characters. I did found a little bit of support for Opa-Opa and Twinbee. But it seems to some people that the only shmup characters to exist are Touhou ones. It would be fun to play as an Aero Fighters character such as Mao-Mao or Keaton in his cyborg form.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
IMHO any shmup character that is not from the Touhou series doesn't get a lot of support. It wouldn't be too hard to think up an awesome moveset for these characters. I did found a little bit of support for Opa-Opa and Twinbee. But it seems to some people that the only shmup characters to exist are Touhou ones. It would be fun to play as an Aero Fighters character such as Mao-Mao or Keaton in his cyborg form.
To be fair, Reimu got off the ground largely in part due to her series being one of the largest indie series possible, plus the fact that a lot of Touhou's popularity comes from outside sources. That, and most of the time she's cited as a bullet hell rep specifically rather than a shmup rep. As one of Reimu's biggest advocates here, I can say that I don't really think "shmup" whenever I talk about her.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ajna could have been amazing and It sucks because Indivisible is most likely a discontinued IP, especially after the whole fiasco. Ajna has rich moveset potential with beautiful Loka stage potential, the recruitments in her game are great assist trophy potential and her series has great bosses for Smash.

It's a serious shame what Indivisible could have provided for Smash, but like the saying, Ajna is a one off from a western third party company.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Crono from Chrono Trigger and Quote from cave story. Under performing in my poll. But I personally want sandbag in smash and I don't understand why we don't have riots in the streets over him not being a playable character.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Grand Theft Auto characters in general.

EDIT: also Angry Birds/pretty much any mobile game that isn't PvZ.
I think it's because they don't overlap with Smash circles that much. GTA is one of those edgy, mature series that's basically the opposite of what you'd expect from Nintendo, and so not many people in the Nintendo fanbase are into it.
Mobile games are in the same place, but for a different reason; They have a reputation for being simple, casual clickers riddled with microtransactions, and most of them don't get ported to Nintendo systems due to how small they are. Most of the old, esteemed mobile games aren't as relevant anymore, and they don't garner as much attention. Doesn't help that a lot of the major mobile games nowadays are gachas, which are... Contentious, to say the least.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
The Dragonborn, especially when compared to fellow Bethesda all-star, Doomguy. Elder Scrolls has been around about just as long as DOOM, was originally created by Bethesda (DOOM was acquired), and is a far more successful series. Skyrim alone has sold better than the entirety of DOOM as a franchise. Plus, Skyrim actually got exclusive content added to the Nintendo Switch version, giving it a unique connection to Nintendo. I guess The Dragonborn just isn’t a very iconic character (he’s very much a blank slate, self insert, avatar), but Doomguy never felt all that memorable either. And still, the beard, the iron helmet, the FUS RO DAH, there is definitely a lot of iconic stuff about the Dragonborn. I don’t know, I’m super biased considering Skyrim is my favorite thing ever.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
The Dragonborn, especially when compared to fellow Bethesda all-star, Doomguy. Elder Scrolls has been around about just as long as DOOM, was originally created by Bethesda (DOOM was acquired), and is a far more successful series. Skyrim alone has sold better than the entirety of DOOM as a franchise. Plus, Skyrim actually got exclusive content added to the Nintendo Switch version, giving it a unique connection to Nintendo. I guess The Dragonborn just isn’t a very iconic character (he’s very much a blank slate, self insert, avatar), but Doomguy never felt all that memorable either. And still, the beard, the iron helmet, the FUS RO DAH, there is definitely a lot of iconic stuff about the Dragonborn. I don’t know, I’m super biased considering Skyrim is my favorite thing ever.
I love Skyrim. It's also one of my favorite games of all time. I would be so happy if Dovahkiin was playable in smash bros but I'm not to found of created avatars being represented in 8 pallet swaps. I'd like Stormcloak or Sheogorath (with the wabbajack) I know Dovahkin is much more likely to get in though, so I'll join your bandwagon.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think it's because they don't overlap with Smash circles that much. GTA is one of those edgy, mature series that's basically the opposite of what you'd expect from Nintendo, and so not many people in the Nintendo fanbase are into it.
Mobile games are in the same place, but for a different reason; They have a reputation for being simple, casual clickers riddled with microtransactions, and most of them don't get ported to Nintendo systems due to how small they are. Most of the old, esteemed mobile games aren't as relevant anymore, and they don't garner as much attention. Doesn't help that a lot of the major mobile games nowadays are gachas, which are... Contentious, to say the least.
I also think anesthetic is also a big factor. They don't scream unique by look of it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I also think anesthetic is also a big factor. They don't scream unique by look of it.
Agreed. I live near LA and CJ just looks like a pretty typical LA resident. It makes him a very uninteresting character to me, at least when it comes to Smash.
I think that also leads into the demographic thing. Nintendo usually has bright, cartoony mascots for lighter games and stylized anime designs for the more mature titles. The only really "realistic" Nintendo game I can think of off the top of my head is Metroid, and that still has lots of cool armors and bizarre aliens. Nintendo fans are just used to looking at stylized designs, and so they don't tend to be interested in the gritty, realistic titles.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Call me stupid, but I really believe CJ could get into smash bro. We don't have any black characters and he's probably the most well known. If your worried about rating. Persona 5 is a rated M game. CJ might have a slim chance.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The posts dismissive of GTA are a little bias. While GTA is very real life focus, it's not impossible to make them work in Smash. CJ, specifically can blend in Smash Bros. Smash has the magic to add spins on these types of characters like that. Being a typical LA resident is what would make CJ unique and quirky because he's the last character you would ever imagine would duke it out with Nintendo characters. It sounds silly, but CJ can work with enough magic.

CJ being in Smash would open one of the biggest controversial boxes tho. There isn't any original themes in GTA that CJ has to work with and his stage would be unbearably out of place.

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
My man Pyramid Head.

Whenever I bring him up people seem to like him. Liking moveset concepts and design, but nobody asks for him really. Can’t say I blame people though, he is certainly an unorthodox choice.
HELL YEAH!! I guess just the thought of Silent Hill in Smash even now is a little...out there. But Silent Hill is such a beloved iconic franchise and one of my favorites.

As for me? I would say Lara Croft is the biggest one. She’s one of the few true gaming icons left not in Smash. She’s not all that popular in Japan from what I know but I rarely see any support for her at all. However truthfully, I guess she doesn’t bring a lot to the table aside from her icon status so it makes sense. The other one is Gordon Freeman. Alright, he has no connection to Nintendo whatsoever and Valve as a whole really doesn’t. But Heavy is requested by a ton of a people and has gotten really far in a lot of polls. Don’t get me wrong, TF2 is great and all but Gordon is such an icon and unlike Lara would bring a lot of unique content from the Half-Life series as well as with his moveset. Half-Life is still a massive franchise even with not having a game for almost 14
years until last year (which wasn’t a mainline game) and has had probably the most influence on modern gaming then anything else.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as non video game characters, I'm always a bit surprised by the lack of interest in Mickey Mouse. Even putting aside Kingdom Hearts he has a strong gaming legacy dating back to the NES and there's various games (the Illusion Series, Magical Adventure titles, Mickey Mania, Epic Mickey) to both pull levels and movesets from (and that's even into the great potential soundtrack). Granted this is coming from someone who's never watched Dragon Ball Z, but he feels like a more intriguing character to add than Goku.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far as non video game characters, I'm always a bit surprised by the lack of interest in Mickey Mouse. Even putting aside Kingdom Hearts he has a strong gaming legacy dating back to the NES and there's various games (the Illusion Series, Magical Adventure titles, Mickey Mania, Epic Mickey) to both pull levels and movesets from (and that's even into the great potential soundtrack). Granted this is coming from someone who's never watched Dragon Ball Z, but he feels like a more intriguing character to add than Goku.
No. No 4th party characters are obligated for Smash. Mickey is not an exception. And his cartoon legacy is far older than his video game legacy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
No. No 4th party characters are obligated for Smash. Mickey is not an exception. And his cartoon legacy is far older than his video game legacy.
I never said he was obligated or that Mickey was an exception; merely that among the 4th party group of hypothetical characters it struck me as odd that he wasn't brought up all that much in spite of having some fairly memorable games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I never said he was obligated or that Mickey was an exception; merely that among the 4th party group of hypothetical characters it struck me as odd that he wasn't brought up all that much in spite of having some fairly memorable games.
I mean this video has 250k views.

Yeah it's a sh**post but pretty much all videos pertaining to 4th Party characters are (Goku being the king of Smash sh**posts).

UserKev

Smash Champion
Rather if you did or didn't say Mickey being obligated is irrelevant. There is just no need to mention 4th parties and Smash in the same sentence if the topic doesn't at least suggests. I already respect your opinion, but I must retaliate if I hear the former.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I guess I figured a fairly open question/speculation thread didn't have rules that concrete about whom should or should not be brought up. Silly of me to think otherwise I guess.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I mean, Skyrim is really iconic. If I had to list the biggest games of the past decade, I would probably list Skyrim, Minecraft technically since it came out of beta then, Overwatch, Fortnite, GTA V, Dark Souls, and Breath of the Wild. That's the "big" games of the 2010s excluding Smash Ultimate if you count that.

I think its just one of those situations where Smash fans got kind of caught up in a wave of momentum throughout the community and supported a character as a result. The two modern examples imo are Dante and Doomguy. Both of which saw massive spikes of support in spite of strong arguments that could be made against them or deconfirmations. They still had such a sway over speculation despite the fact that there were other candidates that make sense. I would argue that Phoenix Wright, Chun Li, and previously Monster Hunter made more sense than Dante. I would argue that Dragonborn makes more sense than Doomguy. Its just one of those weird things.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
... Okay, I went to the Battletoads support thread intending to show support.

Apparently it only had one single post and that was from 2018. I think we might be better off just making a new topic for the 'Toads. Anybody want to?
I’m still here and very active on Smashboards. Feel free to post in my Battletoads support thread. Mine is actually older so I don’t know why it’s not in the database.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Which is odd because Nintendo themselves has their own library of mobile games. Also Super Smash Bros Ultimate has ties to mobile.

Last edited:

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Sackboy, or basically any PlayStation rep. You'd expect that with Master Chief having so much support, a character like Kratos or Sackboy would too, or maybe even Nathan Drake. Guess not.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sackboy, or basically any PlayStation rep. You'd expect that with Master Chief having so much support, a character like Kratos or Sackboy would too, or maybe even Nathan Drake. Guess not.
It's more about connections that mascots, I think. Microsoft has been pretty buddy-buddy with Nintendo recently, and Master Chief is the most obvious of their IPs to be made playable. Sony isn't as friendly, with the most being Kratos as a skin in Fortnite. As such, most people don't think a Sony rep's even possible like MC.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
It's kinda baffling to me how utterly Mallow is ignored while Geno gets so much attention. Like not trying to start a flame war here but the 2 characters are basically of equal stature from the same game & yet have had way different fan reactions.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It's kinda baffling to me how utterly Mallow is ignored while Geno gets so much attention. Like not trying to start a flame war here but the 2 characters are basically of equal stature from the same game & yet have had way different fan reactions.
Probably because of how popular Geno was back in the day.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Grovyle from PMD: he is basically one of the best developed character in the whole Pokémon series similar to Mewtwo I am surprised that the support is still small Grovyle could literally stop time.
PMD got anime special episode and mangas and very successful games compared to the rest of the spinoffs yet no content of it is present in smash.

Captain Syrup: has many important roles in the wario land series and is a female villain but the content of wario land in smash is non existence without few spirits I feel she should have been getting a large support out of this instead of Ashley or other warioware characters as wario land deserve justice.

Ms. Pac-man: if a character like Isabelle was getting a lot of support then how come Ms. Pac-man didn’t get more support she is known worldwide and basically is the original Ms. video game people back them complained about the lack of female reps in smash but Ms. Pac-man is basically the first female protagonist in video game history and has legacy of her own yet I didn’t see her get a large support yet.

:132: Ditto should gain more supporters in the next smash game as it is the easiest character to be added and he passed the game limit barrier that held him back from being a pokeball back in melee and everyone knows who Ditto is as he is a shapeshifter to any fighter he is currently 90% playable

Mega Charizard X: I remember people being very hyped about Charizard final smash back in smash 4 even during the XY trailer that had him and the Pokémon origin anime he was advertised heavily and gained a large fanbase but with his absence during this smash game I could see why he isn’t being supported as much as he will probably be an echo if anything. So I am hoping that his support grow in the next smash game also the fact that he can bring back Rock smash.

Black Shadow: a lot of Nintendo fans demands F-zero to be brought back but surprisingly supporting a 2nd F-Zero rep like Black shadow is still small knowing he is the villain of F-zero franchise and F-Zero still didn’t get another rep since smash 64

Last edited:

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
My guess? Probably because people think he's "cooler" than Mallow. And Geno's more attack oriented in the game, while Mallow's more of a mage type.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
You know who this applies even more to being arguably a lot more recurring and relevant in Mario RPG history as a whole as well? Fawful. It's kind of nuts just how much he gets neglected in comparison for repping Mario RPGs when he's a very popular and beloved character among Mario fans, and a major villain in several of them. And a character Nintendo has easy rights to as well yet there's not even much rally to even include him in the regular Mario games more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom