• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Who Have Less Support Than You'd Expect

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I get that RPGs are generally not big among Nintendo fans if they're not named Pokémon or Mario (though Xenoblade seems to be catching up), but I can't help but feel a little disappointed at how sparse the demand is for classic Square Enix characters not named Geno. Cloud only seems to have gotten in through the silent majority, and you hardly hear about the likes of Terra, Crono, Cecil, Black Mage, Slime, Erdrick, etc. despite all of them being from highly-acclaimed, iconic titles that more or less defined the RPG genre.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • You would think that Pyra would at least be a meme/joke request on everyone and their grandma's list
  • A Tekken rep (Heihachi, Jin Kazama, Kazuya, Jun or Azuka Kazama, Lars and/or Alisa...)
  • Nightmare or Ivy from Soulcalibur
  • Sora (I see him requested but not as often as I'd think he'd be)
  • Noctis or Sephiroth
  • Chun Li, Cammy or M. Bison
  • Zero (Mega Man X) Okay, I can see why he's not requested anymore in ultimate, but still
  • Nights (Nights into Dreams)
  • Tharja, Camilla, or some other "Goth Waifu" character from a recent Fire Emblem.
  • The Eeveelutions, though I definitely don't want these in unless it's either a similar scenario to the koopalings or it's Eevee who uses the Eeveelutions as a stance fighter
  • Dr. Eggman/Robotnik
  • Midna Okay, I can see why he's not requested anymore in ultimate, but still
  • a Fatal Frame rep
  • Funky Kong, though I see him as a joke request once every blue moon

Last edited:

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Plusle & Minum

Considering they were one of the forbidden 7 in brawl I cant beleive that they have basically dropped into obscurity. Especially considering they are gen 3 pokemon, a currently unrepresented generation.

I think having another tagteam type character would be awesome.

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
What about Alex from Eternal Darkness? I mean, Miyamoto and Iwata were producers on that title and yet it has been completely forgotten.

Also similarly, Mike Jones from Star Tropics!

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Honestly, I'm surprised that characters like Crash and Rayman don't have as much support - I know that the characters might not be hugely popular now, or that their movesets might be a little unoriginal, but considering the legacy matches you can have now (Mario v Sonic v Mega-Man v Pac-Man v RYU v CLOUD) I thought people might be more behind them - we already have Nintendo vs Sega, what about Nintendo vs Sony? I know you kinda have that with Cloud, but Mario vs Crash seems very similar to Mario vs Sonic to me

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
ITT lately: new users mentioning characters who have had relatively huge support on this board.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
you want a female villain, give us Carmen Sandiego… I'm not trolling either, I seriously want her to have an attack like Villager's item pocket, except she can steal an item while it's being held.
I can dig it.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Considering he's basically the face of SNK and one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time, I'm surprised Terry Bogard doesn't have that many supporters.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
To add another to this list:
Yarn Yoshi as an echo fighter. It'd be a pretty cool mainly aesthetic change that'd bring another Yoshi rep and represent a more recent Nintendo series.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
To add another to this list:
Yarn Yoshi as an echo fighter. It'd be a pretty cool mainly aesthetic change that'd bring another Yoshi rep and represent a more recent Nintendo series.
I think Yarn Yoshi could be alot more than an echo, yarn Yoshi can have a teather recovery

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
  • You would think that Pyra would at least be a meme/joke request on everyone and their grandma's list
Is this for a standalone Pyra? If so, people can see that Pyra on her own than with Rex would be uninteresting or missing the point of Xenoblade 2's mechanics.

Or because she gets enough flack for her sexualized design.

~~yes, I had to remind everyone of everyone'/s favorite argument~~

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultpikachu: Pokemon in general. Seems like the Pokemon (a massive franchise) gets little credit from Smash fans. Too many reps or doesn't need new reps is starting to rise up instead of "who?" It's weird to think dead small series or one off characters with no relevancy now garner more "support" than a franchise still running strong. My overall guess is Pokemon has a broad fan base and covers more strategy and planning. Where as Smash is more about reacting or overwhelming someone. I also kind of get annoyed with the Lucario or Greninja aren't iconic argument people have been trying to push as well. Both of them got huge and are still huge. Just cause your interest died in Red & Blue doesn't mean future hits don't matter. It's such a selfish outlook that is common that makes me wish we had a rep for every gen cause there were successful Pokemon is every gen as well as duds.

To those saying Rex & Pyra or ARMs, it's more based on how the game is focusing on fan demand and the roster was being made earlier than many expected. Springman and Rex took blows from that, but there is always a chance of DLC for both. I think they'll get more action come DLC time.

:ultpit: I was disappointed Medusa had less traction than Palutena before Smash 4. I really liked her aesthetic and though an evil female was something fresh for the smash roster. Instead we got Palutena and emo Pit.

Monster Hunter was another one that shocked me for poor support around here. It was one of the best games on the Wii for me easily. But plenty of people around here shrug it off as nothing. At least it's a much larger and known series than Bayonetta's.

:ultolimar: Also Pikmin. I see some people even suggest his removal. People are clamoring for Isaac to have a Felix echo or C. Falcon to have a Black Shadow echo, but you see very little on Pikmin getting one. Even Alph has remained a alternate costume which is weird to me when Lucina or Dark Pit could easily be that. It's a bit odd for a series that has a fair amount of people looking for that 4th installment that has been teased at just flies under the radar constantly or even has people saying it could be removed.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
gets little credit from Smash fans.
I think it's quite the opposite.
I think people are just jaded with the prospect of new Pokemon considering they receive one every Smash. They probably feel like it'd happen with or without their support.

Considering he's basically the face of SNK and one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time, I'm surprised Terry Bogard doesn't have that many supporters.
That's assuming most Smash fans even play fighting games. They probably know Terry because his R63 version got into SNK Heroines, lol

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I am surprised noone was asking for Deoxys or Genesect. They were highly requested leading up to Smash 4 but they fell off hard this cycle.

Also Custom Robo to s virtually forgotten now. :( I used to see Ray requests pretty frequently but I don't think anyone remembers that franchise anymore. Its a shame considering how unique he could be.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I think it's quite the opposite.
I think people are just jaded with the prospect of new Pokemon considering they receive one every Smash. They probably feel like it'd happen with or without their support.
And it's a pretty flawed reasoning to hold against Pokemon. Mario and Pokemon are the main forces of Nintendo. Thinking they shouldn't get newcomers solely cause people are jaded the little franchises whether new (ARMS) or old (Golden Sun) might not get in but these two will likely get someone is silly. Even if Pokemon and Mario got nobody, it doesn't mean these other series would score a spot. Mario and Pokemon both sport large casts that are very open to creative moves and unique traits. (something Fire Emblem is struggling to supply)

There's still plenty of Mario characters that could get in that may not be primary Mario characters, but they'd easily be more recognizable to the masses and pull more people in than off the grid picks. Same goes for Pokemon as whole generations of Pokemon have been left out as every gen had successful Pokemon. Even ignoring starters you could easily go with Eevee, Suicune, Gardevoir, Garchomp, Scrafty, Meowstic, and Lycanroc for all being very well recieved and popular Pokemon. Granted Espurr helped Meowstic with it's very cute though possibly a bit sociopath look.
flower.gif

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
:ultpit: I was disappointed Medusa had less traction than Palutena before Smash 4. I really liked her aesthetic and though an evil female was something fresh for the smash roster. Instead we got Palutena and emo Pit.
Medusa would have gotten more support if she didn't get usurped one third through Uprising.

Her only other appearance is as a giant eye you fire arrows at on the NES.

Also, regarding Pokemon; within any given series at any given time, generally speaking, you're competing with, at most, half a dozen viable candidates to be in that game. With Pokemon, there are hundreds upon hundreds of options. Fans will never agree and come together on one choice to rally behind, like DK fans did with K. Rool or Metroid fans did with Ridley. The Pokemon Company is also pretty controlling of how their mons are portrayed in Smash, and one gets the impression they wouldn't allow a Pokemon in it if they didn't feel it was marketable.

Add to that the obligatory new Pokemon of each generation that is also competition in every Smash game, and the prospect of a fan-favorite oldie getting in as well seems unreachable to most fans. A new Pokemon fighter that isn't promotional would probably need K. Ridley levels of support to be considered. The most we got with that was Sceptile.

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
(something Fire Emblem is struggling to supply)
It's not that FE is struggling to supply unique candidates. It's that Sakurai finds the sword characters to be good candidates for quick clones. FE still has a host of options that probably will never get in because of clones (e.g. Axes, Lances, mounted units, sky knights, wyrvern knights, HECTOR)

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
It's not that FE is struggling to supply unique candidates. It's that Sakurai finds the sword characters to be good candidates for quick clones. FE still has a host of options that probably will never get in because of clones (e.g. Axes, Lances, mounted units, sky knights, wyrvern knights, HECTOR)
It's cause the main hero is typically a sword wielding blue haired person. And now they're in a white hair kick with Robin, Corrin, and the new chick Edelgard. If they made either Dimitri or Claude the main star of Three Houses (two others playable characters confirmed), maybe we could of gotten something fresh as both use other types of weapons with no sword. And bonus points for neither of them having blue or white hair.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's cause the main hero is typically a sword wielding blue haired person. And now they're in a white hair kick with Robin, Corrin, and the new chick Edelgard. If they made either Dimitri or Claude the main star of Three Houses (two others playable characters confirmed), maybe we could of gotten something fresh as both use other types of weapons with no sword. And bonus points for neither of them having blue or white hair.
Picking the "main" character of a game first is also a choice that the designers have made.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't disagree with your second point so I won't address that here, but I think this is the opposite attitude to what we should be having about Ganon. After four iterations of Smash, it should be obvious by now that they're not willing to outright declone Ganondorf completely. Rather than hoping that one day Sakurai will finally decide out of the blue to completely overhaul Ganondorf, it'd be wiser to campaign for Ganon to be included. The time to start considering other forms of Ganon was a long time ago. If he got in, not only would this increase the character's presence on the roster, it would also give us a fully realized Ganon moveset that's accurate to the source material (with the added bonus of keeping the Falcondorf moveset for those who like it, without resorting to forcing Black Shadow into the roster for no other reason than to inherit that moveset).
The saddest part is that Sakurai is fully well aware on the fact that people where dissatisfied on Ganondorf's moveset as far back as the days of Brawl and still went ahead on keeping him as a semi clone of Falcon ever since, even his supposed newfound Sword moves are apparently borrowed from heavy sword users such as Ike and Cloud...

Which makes it even more sad that Ganon is continuously thrown into the backburner by fans until the more highly prioritized Ganondorf finally gets a fully unique moveset, which probably won't ever happen at this rate so long as Sakurai is on the helm...

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi fans have been asking for a tether recovery for Yoshi since they were a thing!!!
Basically, Yarn Yoshi throws a yarn ball that turns into a rope. It would be his B and up attack, though yarn Yoshi's jump would be slower and lower just like in Yoshi's Yarn. Yarn Yoshi would be slower, but attacks would be gimmickier and funnier and more strategic.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Pokemon don't garner support because theres no one Polemon that stands out, the fanbase gets split on all the choices, and none of them seem popular. It's not that people don't want more Pokemon, it's that there's too many options available.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
With how popular echoes are in speculation, i'm surprised the idea of a Big Boss echo doesn't have much supporters or even discussion. I guess the Big Boss traits in :ultsnake: are to be blamed.
Agreed on Ryu Hayabusa as well, he's pretty much the character to have if Tecmo is involved.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ryu Hayabusa cuts limbs off of enemies, and they bleed out. Are you guys really confused about why he doesn't have more support?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ryu Hayabusa cuts limbs off of enemies, and they bleed out. Are you guys really confused about why he doesn't have more support?
Well he's also the most iconic video-game ninja of all time. And that smash is a game that doesn't have gore to begin with.

And honestly, what Ryu does is pretty ****ing tame compared to Bayonetta.
Unlike Ryu who dispatches his foes cleanly and quickly, Bayonetta goes out of her way to find methods of maiming, torturing, humiliating, and degrading her opponenents before executing them in various ways, which all include their corpses raining a shower of blood on her.
It's not a pretty sight.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Well he's also the most iconic video-game ninja of all time. And that smash is a game that doesn't have gore to begin with.

And honestly, what Ryu does is pretty ****ing tame compared to Bayonetta.
Unlike Ryu who dispatches his foes cleanly and quickly, Bayonetta goes out of her way to find methods of maiming, torturing, humiliating, and degrading her opponenents before executing them in various ways, which all include their corpses raining a shower of blood on her.
It's not a pretty sight.
She shouldn't be in the game either.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well yeah, that part I kinda agree with.

I just think that with her inclusion, gore isn't really a factor in preventing a character's appearance or popularity.

Especially when his other most famous appearance involves him using pure nonlethal martial arts, in the Dead or Alive game franchise.

But yeah, I think the real reason we don't see Ryu more is that he comes from a hard-as-nails action game that's super niche and hasn't had a new installment in half a decade.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Some people think Snake is out of place too.
Back to the topic I'm surprised by the lack of support to Braixen. She would be like the missing lik between gunners and swordfighters.
I hope she will appear as AT at least. She would be the complementary vixen to Krystal.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Some people think Snake is out of place too.
Back to the topic I'm surprised by the lack of support to Braixen. She would be like the missing lik between gunners and swordfighters.
I hope she will appear as AT at least. She would be the complementary vixen to Krystal.
I hate the way Braixen looks, and I think Snake shouldn't be in Smash.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I read a couple pages of this and none are even close to the profile of Porky, who at this point has been two bosses and might as well be the one and only non-deconfirmed Mother character.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll never understand why characters that have a decent backlog don't have more fans. Chibi Robo has 5 games I think, Starfy has 5 games, Custom Robo has 4 or 5, none of them have a ton of supporters, yet you get random Kirby side villains that take over in popularity once they come back from the dead. It makes no sense to me.

All this "_ character doesn't belong in Smash" takes me back, I never thought I'd see it again, not that I'm complaining

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I'll never understand why characters that have a decent backlog don't have more fans. Chibi Robo has 5 games I think, Starfy has 5 games, Custom Robo has 4 or 5, none of them have a ton of supporters, yet you get random Kirby side villains that take over in popularity once they come back from the dead. It makes no sense to me.

All this "_ character doesn't belong in Smash" takes me back, I never thought I'd see it again, not that I'm complaining
Agreed. I'd love to see characters like Starfy, Takamaru, Chibi-Robo, a Custom Robo, Jill from Drill Dozer, or other old series get a modern revival. I know some are already confirmed Assist Trophies, but Smash gave me an introduction to Fire Emblem and classic, then modern Kid Icarus. I'd love that same feeling again. Unfortunately I've already experienced Golden Sun, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Mario RPG, which seem to have the most popular support currently

Top Bottom