• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters that can stutter smash

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
the only characters i know that can do this is sonic and mario, are there any others?

anyways what I find myself doing is not always utlisiing this tech. this has proved to be an advantage since people learn during a match and then guage your smashes range, so that when I need to f-smash for the kill it is alot easier since I find they are in my range

very obvious but I just thought I would share this with some newcomers and so my question will get answered :laugh:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Falcon and Ganondorf.

"Reverse stutter step" can be done by all characters and IMO is infinitely more useful.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Wait, can't all characters stutter step? It's just that some are more useful for other since their Fsmash will increase in range? Actually not exactly increase, I once had an opponent right next to Bowser and I stutter stepped a Fsmash only to have Bowser step too far and miss because the opponent is too close.

EDIT: Wait, can someone help explain to me what stutter stepping is? I think I may have this mixed up with something else.

Is Stutter stepping just dash forward and immediate fsmash? I'm thinking of dashing backwards and then fsmash the other direction.

cutter

Smash Champion
Stutter stepping does NOT increase the range of your smash. It merely pushes you forward as you execute your Fsmash. The smash will have the same range even if it wasn't stutter-stepped.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Wait, can't all characters stutter step? It's just that some are more useful for other since their Fsmash will increase in range? Actually not exactly increase, I once had an opponent right next to Bowser and I stutter stepped a Fsmash only to have Bowser step too far and miss because the opponent is too close.

EDIT: Wait, can someone help explain to me what stutter stepping is? I think I may have this mixed up with something else.

Is Stutter stepping just dash forward and immediate fsmash? I'm thinking of dashing backwards and then fsmash the other direction.
That is one way to do it.

However, Sonic/Mario/Ganondorf/Falcon/Brock...are the only characters with it "built-in" upon turnaround.

If you do a C-stick in the opposite direction you're facing, you'll notice that those characters will 'jolt' in that direction, adding some movement before the smash. That is the 'true' stutterstep.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's a better way of saying it. I wasn't quite sure of how to actually word it since the word "increase' was in my head the whole time when I'm thinking of stutter stepping.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
How about Pit?
He sorta takes a little step.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
I think that thats just the mometum of u moving. Sonic and them u stand still they will move forward abit if u do a smash backwards.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've never understood this terminology. My understanding was always that stutter stepping was using an Fsmash to interrupt the initial initial dash animation, and then the Falcon, Sonic, Mario and Ganondorf trick was just a Reverse Fsmash.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... well the interuption of the initial dash animation is now called dash canceling or for snake (lucky fella gets his own special name) snake dashing.

And the reverse f-smash u kno is called stutter step...not too hard is it? lol

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
tapping the control stick left and c sticking right or vice versa which increases the distance your f-smash can reach

J4pu

Smash Champion
and then theres also SUPER AWESOME DOUBLE STUTTER STEPPING (sorry i can't think of the real name for it) where you dash "right", then "left" (dash dance-like) then use Cstick "right".

if at some point this was proven useless, mah bad i didnt get the memo.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
To be precise, no matter what the terminology is, you don't want to tap away, because that may induce a dash, which reduces the full gain to distance on the smash. Instead, you want to tilt. For a so-called 2x stutter step, you want to perform an initial initial dash, then pivot before it becomes impossible.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
No actually u want to tap it u activate the smash before the game reconizes the dash animation. tilting makes u walk.

If u do it correctly u just turn around like really fast then again turn and "slide" like 2x the normal stutter step distance and smash.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I know perfectly well how it works, and I've almost always found pivoting to be more effective.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm very well I dont use 2x stutter stepping because its obvious and goes to far. IMO of course.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Srry to interrupt you all with my noobishness... what's stutter smashing?
tapping the control stick left and c sticking right or vice versa which increases the distance your f-smash can reach
Not really.

The usual input is tap/tilt in the opposite direction then C-stick/smash-shortcut button towards the original direction.

But all stutterstepping is is just using a built-in character mechanic (extra movement when starting a dash in the opposite direction) with a smash.

The true input needed for a stutter step is:
[C-stick/shortcut towards your character's back].

But most people feel it's better to do it going forward, so they add the whole tap/tilt back on the control stick.

edit/reply to next post:

That's not it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm positive Ness can do this. I'm not sure it really adds range, but you can stutter and then smash. It's a bit hard to do though since you can simply stutter and press A and you'll force Ness to do his fair on the ground instead of of smashing with his bat. You're asking who can do this, right?

J4pu

Smash Champion
I'm positive Ness can do this. I'm not sure it really adds range, but you can stutter and then smash. It's a bit hard to do though since you can simply stutter and press A and you'll force Ness to do his fair on the ground instead of of smashing with his bat. You're asking who can do this, right?
Anybody can pivot into a forwards smash, i believe he meant to ask who it is useful for.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
...warios fsmash cant stutter step and benifit from it -_-;; he alrdy goes far enough like wolf

Agi

Smash Lord
Wolf's F-Smash... why... it... just... yeah... *sob*
No offense, but cant stand Wolf for those reasons.

Azzizaz

Smash Apprentice
...warios fsmash cant stutter step and benifit from it -_-;; he alrdy goes far enough like wolf
Wario's FSmash is deceptively long, but still short compared to other FSmashes. And no where did I say his stutter step was good or not. I just said he took a TINY step forward.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Wario's FSmash is deceptively long, but still short compared to other FSmashes. And no where did I say his stutter step was good or not. I just said he took a TINY step forward.
Warios fsmash is desent no where near short. And yea he just said it doesnt benifit from it.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Name a fsmash with a character with no weapon other wolf and ness and Lucas that out beat Wario in distance...

and I wasnt trying to attack u sorry if I worded it that way. I was just letting others kno sadly wario doesnt benfit from the stutter step.

Warios fsmash is no where near short compared to too many others.

Top Bottom