• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Err, not exactly the same thing. However, definitely similar. Tier lists account for nothing but theoretical match ups and how characters do against the rest of the cast. However, the ranking list is affected by, not only the skills of the players, but also the amount of people playing as a specific character.

So even though character X is better than character Y on the tier list, that does not necessarily mean that they will be doing better on the ranking list.

Flayl

Smash Hero
QUIVO, you're being kind of dumb. The tier list says TL is a better character than Luigi. This list reports Luigi has earned more points than TL. If ranking in points means the same to you as a tier list, you're acknowledging that the tier list should move around so that Luigi is over TL.

You made me spell this out for you.

QUIVO

Smash Master
LOL. When did I say I agreed with either the "tier list" or "character ranking list?"

I think you're dense for assuming I agreed with either. I said the tier/ranking list are the same to me.. and this was a bad tier list.. mang.

Also, unlike most mid to low tier players, I don't care about where my character is placed unless it's ridiculous.

Flayl

Smash Hero
God, you're... special. Acknowledging doesn't mean "agree with". Whatever, I'm not going to waste any more energy on this.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Agreed/Acknowledge, it's still irrelevant since I never stated I "agree with" or "acknowledged" with placings on either lists.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
A tier list in this sense is more or less public opinion.

A rankings list in this sense takes something tangible (results in a tournament setting) and uses the figures from it to show how things are panning out.

That's the difference.
Wtf, same thing to me.
Your response to the first qoute, which is the second qoute.

QUIVO

Smash Master
By saying that I think the ranking list is the same as a tier list still does not mean I agree that Luigi is a better character.

Tiers don't exist anyway
TL is garbage

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well you can't call tourney results trash really... that hard data that can only be fought by winning tourneys with the character you want to raise.

hunger!

Smash Champion
Don't Blink 5
Northbrook, IL
$10 Entry fee - 30 Entrants

1: Lain :popo: / :metaknight:
2: Down Syndrome Baby (hunger) :wario:
3: Arty :falco: / :popo:
4: Grimace :snake: / :luigi2:
5: L-Cancel :olimar:
5: Green Beast :olimar:
7: Sago :metaknight: / :falco:
7: DarkLouis :snake: / :wolf:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This has probably been asked, and I have criticized the decisions made by the SSB community in the past, but I'm hoping what I'm about to say doesn't spark a flame war.

Why is the tier list organized based on tournament results? Obviously, I'm not a "tires don exits" person, but I find it absurd that it's done this way. All that this method is really doing is just making self-fulfilled prophecies, especially with tier whores. The lower tiered characters are going to have a slow meta-game development in comparison to the higher tiered? Why not rank them based off of matchup data instead?

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
This has probably been asked, and I have criticized the decisions made by the SSB community in the past, but I'm hoping what I'm about to say doesn't spark a flame war.

Why is the tier list organized based on tournament results? Obviously, I'm not a "tires don exits" person, but I find it absurd that it's done this way. All that this method is really doing is just making self-fulfilled prophecies, especially with tier whores. The lower tiered characters are going to have a slow meta-game development in comparison to the higher tiered? Why not rank them based off of matchup data instead?
re-read the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom