• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchups & Strategies

noobs-use-pika

Smash Rookie
i still think that pika doesn really stand up to scrutiny at the higher levels its weakness are just to many against to many characters

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
i still think that pika doesn really stand up to scrutiny at the higher levels its weakness are just to many against to many characters
>.> Wow... I was just lurking the pika boards (as you do =p ) and see a comment like that! And that username, that's more than just coincidence xD

Seriously though, pika is a very solid character, and can apply a lot of pressure. Have you seen pro vids? He's an incredibly technical character to learn but it pays off most certainly, even against higher levels, trust me ;D

Hi pika boards! I'm considering maining him! He's just so fun to play!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol guys, sorry i haven't been on the chat or online much, my laptop's internet has stopped working for some reason, my GF takes up a lot of time, and school ****. sorry

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Thanks stealth I might just do that. Yeah there's lag from the uk unfortunately =( My pikachu's looking grim at the moment. It's just spam spam spam, I need to get more technical. Watching tons of vids!

Diddy2k8

Smash Cadet
Lies and scandals. Pika can hold his own against many of the top tier chars. A noob can use pika and just start spamming but a good pika is a very technical char and takes time to learn. Watch some anther vids!

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what you mean by technical. I mean, do we usually use the word "technical" with pikachu. Do we really use the word technical with Brawl?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
by technical i certainly mean in brawl terms. i call brawl an awesome game even though it sucks compared to melee. brawl is obviously technical, but i use the word relative to the other chars in brawl.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Depends on what you mean by technical. I mean, do we usually use the word "technical" with pikachu. Do we really use the word technical with Brawl?
I still don't understand why a lot of people call Pikachu technical, to be honest.

I mean, there's QAC and tricks with thunder, but when I think technical I think Ice Climbers (I'm considering picking them up, actually....). And more recently Link since apparently he has a ridiculous bunch of ATs, or so I've been told.

I mean, Pika's definitely more technical relative to the other characters I use (Ike, ROB), but most of his tricks are situational at best.

Is it just because he's not as straightforward as, say, Ike? Or because he's not easy to pick up and play? Is my definition of "technical" too strict or something?

Can someone explain this to me?!

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Well in my opinion, its not about the number of ATs you have. Its the usefulness of the move, how situational it is, and how you can use it to your advantage.

And really now, Pikachu really doesnt need QAC and Thunder tricks a whole lot to win. Knowing when to use the move at the right time instead of abusing it makes that pika player much better than a player who plays to look flashy.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Well in my opinion, its not about the number of ATs you have. Its the usefulness of the move, how situational it is, and how you can use it to your advantage.

And really now, Pikachu really doesnt need QAC and Thunder tricks a whole lot to win. Knowing when to use the move at the right time instead of abusing it makes that pika player much better than a player who plays to look flashy.
I should clarify... apparently Link has a bunch of ATs that are essential to making him a halfway decent character, lol. (Poor Link...) I wouldn't really know, though, since I don't f*** with Link... this is based off of what I've heard from other people.

But yeah, I agree with everything you said. It just boggles my mind that in all those "which character is most technical" threads, people are forever bringing up Pikachu. And when I try to say otherwise, I get "WTF OMG QAC THUNDER!!!"

Diddy2k8

Smash Cadet
I should clarify... apparently Link has a bunch of ATs that are essential to making him a halfway decent character, lol. (Poor Link...) I wouldn't really know, though, since I don't f*** with Link... this is based off of what I've heard from other people.

But yeah, I agree with everything you said. It just boggles my mind that in all those "which character is most technical" threads, people are forever bringing up Pikachu. And when I try to say otherwise, I get "WTF OMG QAC THUNDER!!!"
I don't think anyone f*** with link. LOL.

But yea i mean regarding the at's with pika. At's aren't exactly needed to win with pikachu. They just add substance to him. But i mean pika is deftinaley not a char u can just pick up and play and be good with(anyone can pick up and spam t-jolt and down b though.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend

this can apply to any character in any game.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
A lot of his combos can be pretty technical. Even his chaingrabs can often require shielding at the right time.

Also jab is the most technical move in the game.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Guys, since galax has had a pretty long leave of absence, should i resume the character matchup threads? I can go alphabetical or idk...from top tier to bottom tier. Just wanted to know if i can do anything helpful for the community.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Guys, since galax has had a pretty long leave of absence, should i resume the character matchup threads? I can go alphabetical or idk...from top tier to bottom tier. Just wanted to know if i can do anything helpful for the community.
I don't know how everyone else feels, but....

YES PLEASE. I would feel bad about someone else taking over the thread, but from what I understand, people have tried to contact Galax multiple times... :( And we could really use an active matchup thread. We still have so much to cover.

I vote yes on this one.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes esam do it. until galax gets back we need active matchup discussions going again. im tired of helping others with matchups and not doing our own. ive seen somebs pika matchups out there.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ok, idk when ill get around to it, but im doing it based on the tierlist, so DDD will be first.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ok, idk when ill get around to it, but im doing it based on the tierlist, so DDD will be first.
I'll be waiting for it. Looking from the outside in IMO this is like a 80/20 matchup in pika's favor. However my friend stays winning against my pikachu with his dedede(when my pikachu 2 stocks his snake) It makes no **** sense.

But yea from what i read the matchup is deftinaley in pika's favor.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah i know it is, i have training against one of the best DDDs in the country, Seibrik. I know the MU inside and out.

K 2

Smash Lord
Yes! Do it!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I know I'm very offtopic but is week 16 Fox?
hints just seem to point that direction
To me this means "Now that I look at this character I know I'm gonna win" = Fox vs. Pika 10:90 Pika's Favor.

XD Flame if you want.. but I have a bad case of lurking in other boards.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
There is no way its 90-10. Even with pikachu's insane CG its really hard to catch one if they know what they're doing...i think ill get around to starting teh DDD one tomorrow since im giong to my GF's grandpas funeral from 4-9...blech.

babybaby 12

Smash Cadet
The matchup is 100-0 in Pikachu's favor. DeDeDe isn't even good i used him a few hours ago and he sucks. he's so fat Pikachu doesn't even have to worry about missing, especially if its Anther playing him. All you really have to do to beat DeDeDe is use Quick Attack and then use a killing move. DeDeDe is very slow and laggy, there's NOTHING he can do that will hit Pikachu. If he tried to use his Forward Smash, he could dodge it. So when someone using Dedede is up against Anther, they should just put it on "No Contest", otherwise they'll lose very badly, cause Anther is too good

Pikachu has a better Projectile a better means of escape, is faster, racks up damage faster, is a smaller target, a better recovery has better grabs, better specials, better tilts, better Smashes(they're not more powerful, but they're better), and looks better

So the winner is Pikachu by default!

babybaby 12

Smash Cadet
DeDeDe sucks eggs, how is he top tier? Pikachu should be #1 obn the Tier List, have you people seen Anther play?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Anther =/= pikachu baby. Match-ups are for people with even skill. If a DDD was equally skilled as anther and played him, anther would have more of a chance of winning. Don't go on baseless assumptions that you can't really prove. DDD has things, just pikachu has more in the match-up.

Top Bottom