• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea Submission Thread

Vashimus

Smash Master
Oh don't worry, that type of BS will be removed. Who knows how the Ice Climbers will play like without their grab game, though.

Fly's in the PMBR though, so I'd imagine he'd make sure they were A-OK.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Holy cow, people! Take it to PMs or something. :mad: This chat isn't for talking about the validity of other video games. We're trying to suggest possible changes and you're burying them. :facepalm:

Edit: Obviously directed at all the super long posts about Metroid and Kirby and whatever that I had to read while trying to scan the thread for stuff. :glare:

Edit 2: Btw, are people aware that, on top of Wobbling, the ICs' hand-offs, made famous by vBrawl, were actually possible in Melee. :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Brawl handoffs happen because the player controls Nana's throws. Melee handoffs happen because Nana always throws toward the ledge if she's close to it. Both of which can be averted by Nana simply throwing upward when she grabs the enemy, among other, less desirable methods to address the concern.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd like to bring over an idea I had, not sure if its' been said before:

I think Samus' moveset is by today's standards, a tad obsolete. This is why I think either Sakurai or PMBR should improve her in the following way:

Switchable Arm-cannon types. By tapping up, sides, or down on the d-pad (taunts) Samus changes her beam type, and you can tell which one it is based on her VISOR COLOR.

Charge Shot (Green visor): The regular charge shot since SSB 64.
Ice Beam (Blue visor): A ball of ice which freezes opponents. Slowest beam. (like Lucas)
Plasma Beam (Yellow visor): A triple yellow laser beam which work like Falco's. Fastest beam.

Extra: Wave Beam (Red visor): These are slower but consecutive shots that go through opponents like the Super Scope, and travel in a zig-zag pattern. Won't flinch opponents though.

It'd be really awesome to play as a switcher-y Sammy, with a much needed overall arsenal enhancement.
I'd go into detail as how each beam would "tweak" her regular moveset, but that might be overkill. :p

I know these may not be much "improvements" perhaps, but I find Samus' strength SHOULD lie on long ranged combat.

Crossing my fingers so this gets implemented.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
i think it's pretty much set in stone that taunts that drastically change the way a character plays aren't going to be used. granted Zelda, lucario, and snakes taunts can actually be useful in a match(I know there are other unique taunts (⌐■_■) squirt) they aren't as drastic as what you listed.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i think it's pretty much set in stone that taunts that drastically change the way a character plays aren't going to be used. granted Zelda, lucario, and snakes taunts can actually be useful in a match(I know there are other unique taunts (⌐■_■) squirt) they aren't as drastic as what you listed.
Ah well, it was really worth a shot anyway. (Though I don't think it's nearly as drastic as it sounds, you just change your B Neutral to other beam types. It can almost be compared to Olimar's multi-colored Pikmin and their respective properties, except here you CHOOSE which beam, to use).

But I understand, if it can't be done, then so be it. I guess for this type of gameplay I should continue to stick to:

Favorite character in a fighting game ever. =3 I just thought Samus could learn a thing or two from him, heheh.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I know I'm really late to this, but Miyamoto was primarily responsible for the Prime Trilogy's first person direction and he directed the game along with Retro Studios. So it wasn't entirely left to Retro. Sakamoto's lack of acknowledgement of the Prime Trilogy is also not the same as denying them as part of the canon.

Also, another late thing but Samus has been able to SWD since early alpha from what I remember of early streams. It's the extender that we'll likely never see due to the tremendous amount of work needed along with the file size problems Samus has (unless that's just Zamus).

Personally, Samus really only needs a better USmash (something SD Remix did really well) and a faster grab. Maybe more range on DAir but I'm no dedicated Samus main so I can't really say if that's a good idea or not.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Miyamoto only was producer on the first Prime, since they really needed help. After that sold well, Retro soon got the hang of it. Miyamoto did that with Star Fox games too. Inb4 Bubba screams at me.

I wanna know if characters with extended grabs can have their grab lengths extended, and I don't mean extending it yourself. Literally, Link's Clawshot in Brawl and P:M is much shorter compared to his Hookshot in Melee. Same with Samus and her Grapple Beam. Is it because there's no way to extend it, or there for balancing purposes? It just bothers the hell out of me.

But yeah, the starting point should be a longer grab with less ending lag (Link picks up the Clawshot faster when he misses, so should Samus), better upsmash, perhaps a faster roll, and power, Power, POWER. She's a heavy-weight dammit, let's make her hurt like one. But seeing as the PMBR will likely do this anyway, people wanna suggest cool stuff.

Oh, and the Melee taunt. Can't forget that.

:phone:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I believe it's because they currently don't know how. I assume there's a lot of components behind it besides literally extending the length of the model. If there was going to be any nerf to tether grabs, it's how they interact with limbs that they want to fix down the line; not necessarily an intended nerf.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know my ideas aren't very popular, but I'll share them again anyway.

Please excuse the crudity of this mock-up image, it's meant to interpret attack direction, range, and hitboxes. (The first one more than the second one).

MULTIPLE BEAMS system (you switch them via taunt buttons)

Samus really needs to adapat to other characters, and what bugs me is, she HAS the tools to do that. But Sakurai has sort of hindered her badly since the first game.
The ability to switch between beams would be the best way to raise her up a few tier levels, as her arm-cannon would now play a major role in her metagame.

BETTER ARM-CANON "FIRE" ATTACKS

Because her arm-canon NEEDS to shoot everytime she pulls the trigger (thing). Instead of small bursts of flame, she should actually shoot with these attacks.
I mean, if Samus is to remain a hard-to-kill-with character, at least make her a good damage racker!
If Snake can have a long-ranged uSmash, why not Samus? :p

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That Fair looks massively broken. Disjointed with very fast startup and low lag.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Though the usmash from SD Remix was cool, all usmash and fair need is to connect better. Maybe make it faster and/or bloat the hitbox a little and you would be fine

Also, your beam idea is pretty cool, shinhed-echi

Vashimus

Smash Master
Crude, nah. Those images are pretty good. Only the Plasma beam looks like the Spazer. lol

I sort of agree with Gamedominator on the arm cannon fire attacks, but also for the fact that they are not that much different from what Samus already does with Super Missiles. We need Bubbaking here though, maybe he'll say otherwise.

kynos

Smash Rookie
What about changing Kirby's sideB to him jumping up and riding a warp star at an angle in front of him. He'll bounce out of it and be able to combo out of it. Maybe a charge to increase damage and knockback leaving him vulnerable while charging the star. He can be hit at any time during the attack but the star has super armor. To prevent spamming you could give a long delay before the star launches or have it move slowish. Possibly minimal angle control.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Pikmin & Oilmar

Just had a thought, I don't know if they're using my side b idea I said earlier (instead of pikmin just racking small damage they hit opponent towards you) but what if the pikmin death does damage and knockback? I mean it can give pressure and make your opponent more cautious.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Why did Bowser lose the the startup hitbox on ground Bowser Bomb

Samus needs better rolls, I think Samus should be given a crawl as well (morph ball) and possibly a crawl attack (Boost Ball, a quick short dash while in morph ball form). Brawl Minus had some nice ideas for Samus, I liked that up smash was ice beam and had the chance to cause freezing

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
What do yall think about olimar?

Last i heard they were only going to let him have 4 pikmin at a time. They also added a pikmin growth mechanic where as the pikmin grow from leaf to flower they do more damage. The white pikmin "explode" on their final hit after they attach. That's all i remember.

I know I want at least five pikmin so he can hold one of each. He should have different arials and smashes for when he has pikmin and when he doesn't have pikmin. thats 8 new animations, maybe more, if the startup animations and landing animations need to change.

All pikmin should have the same hit point values except purple. purples just get more health. Make it so there is an even more likely chance at pulling a certain pikmin from a certain spot on each stage.

pikmin pulling can be slowed down so you want to try and keep your pikmin. Possibly add dash cancel to this like ZSS.

Not going to talk about each pikmin cause that leads to Huuuge posts.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I know my ideas aren't very popular, but I'll share them again anyway.

Please excuse the crudity of this mock-up image, it's meant to interpret attack direction, range, and hitboxes. (The first one more than the second one).

MULTIPLE BEAMS system (you switch them via taunt buttons)

Samus really needs to adapat to other characters, and what bugs me is, she HAS the tools to do that. But Sakurai has sort of hindered her badly since the first game.
The ability to switch between beams would be the best way to raise her up a few tier levels, as her arm-cannon would now play a major role in her metagame.

BETTER ARM-CANON "FIRE" ATTACKS

Because her arm-canon NEEDS to shoot everytime she pulls the trigger (thing). Instead of small bursts of flame, she should actually shoot with these attacks.
I mean, if Samus is to remain a hard-to-kill-with character, at least make her a good damage racker!
If Snake can have a long-ranged uSmash, why not Samus? :p
I kinda like these ideas.....a lot. :)

I sort of agree with Gamedominator on the arm cannon fire attacks, but also for the fact that they are not that much different from what Samus already does with Super Missiles. We need Bubbaking here though, maybe he'll say otherwise.
Lolz! :laugh: Well, if you really value my opinion that much, then yeah, I agree. Her fair is already pretty good as is. It doesn't need all that range on top of its low startup and lag (and also high damage if all the hits connect), and yes, missile cancels would cover a lot of the same function. However, I don't mind that change for her usmash. From what I saw, her current Melee usmash would remain but it would gain a ranged portion as well. :awesome:

Slashy

Smash Lord
Honestly considering I play as Ness and Game and Watch. I am okay with you guys letting Samus fire energy projectiles with her fair and up smash

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I say Samus gets a sex kick and the rest of her moveset is just OP specials. Let's go.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure that they follow the same way they did on Smashmods. They look at it, but it's not guaranteed that an idea will be used. That said, some of these are pretty great. Loving the Samus ideas, but like everyone else, I'm a bit wary about swapping beams being mapped to taunts. Has looots of potential though, if it could be implemented.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Does the PMBR actually look at this thread? There are some really good ideas in here (that's a call-out to some PMBR member to respond).
Shadic literally just posted on the previous page. Not to mention Fly grouped all the suggestion threads into one for you. Lol

I guess they're not supposed to give their input on this so people don't get their hopes up, or to remain unbiased. The majority of the time the PMBR posts, it's either to correct someone or advertise a stream. Maybe it's in some strict honor code they have established or something, idk.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I appreciate your attempt to reassure me, but Fly only grouped all the suggestion threads together to prevent clutter (only this one was mine) in the sub-forum, even though one could argue that the opposite is happening inside this thread, and Shadic only posted on the first page to explain that we couldn't have multiple Idea Submission threads like we had on Smods. Furthermore, I never see any PMBR members lurking this thread. Idk, man..... :scared::ohwell:

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Yeah, separate character threads would have been more useful to the PMBR. But, I'm sure some of them are seeing some of this.

I just want Samus to be awesome. Like a charge-able up-b screw-attack, that can be used twice if she has her second jump - or something like that.

I can be a dreamer, can't I?

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I feel Samus should be able to aim her canon up or down when firing. Maybe during her charging phase if you press up she shoots up and if you press down she shoots at a low angle. Instead of shooting straight up it could just be at a high angle. It would give more utility to her uncharged shots and still leave her as Campy as ever.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I don't know where to put this idea so i'll just put it here for now.

Ok i'm watching internetExplorers coding tutorial. and from what i understand everything about the game is stored in the memory right. That includes the character head icons in the stageselect screen too. so is it possible to use those pics as the stock counter so we can get melee styled stocks back?

Im assuming that the game doesn't register the stocks as each individual character's stock but only registers the stocks as "player 1's stocks" or "player 2's stocks" ect, thus why we only get four stock colours.

Can that be worked around with an if statment, if "if statments" exisit in this type of coding. (not finished the IE tutorial yet)

I'd imagine the code would be massive considering you'd have to register each character with each player slot but can this idea be done? has it been attempted? have the memory slots for those head pics been found? Is there an "if statement" in this coding?

Vashimus

Smash Master
Some of the guys working on the HUD hacks in the workshop say it can't be done because the stock icons are unique to each character in Melee, whereas in Brawl (and P:M), the stock icons are universal for all characters. You can't give Fox a stock icon :foxbrawl: without giving everyone that stock icon.

I'm sure there's a way around it. We just haven't found it yet.

Top Bottom