• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

amageish

Smash Master
alright

time for the trailer

this one is LONG. I'm going all out with this, and yes I am doing a "final battle" (vs Galeem and Dharkon) theme
That is a VERY cool Smash trailer premise. I like the metatextual elements of it and how it ties into Octoling (in this scenario) closing out two games worth of Smash Bros goodness... Great thought put into it and good work!

we have Squid Sisters as AT and Miis, so why not give Off the Hook some love and have them do Inkopolis News-inspired sketches of their intel?
Off the Hook does have a tonne of charisma and chemistry with each other, as your trailer concept demonstrates, so it would be fun to see them give their hot takes in Smash! They could maybe react to stages instead of fighters, both for variety and to better represent the type of dialogue they have in the game itself...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That is a VERY cool Smash trailer premise. I like the metatextual elements of it and how it ties into Octoling (in this scenario) closing out two games worth of Smash Bros goodness... Great thought put into it and good work!

Off the Hook does have a tonne of charisma and chemistry with each other, as your trailer concept demonstrates, so it would be fun to see them give their hot takes in Smash! They could maybe react to stages instead of fighters, both for variety and to better represent the type of dialogue they have in the game itself...
Ohhh, stages! Just like in Inkopolis News! I like that!

glad u liked the trailer 😊

oh also, the G/D clones can kinda be considered a callback to the Sanitized Octarians/Octolings in OE

and yes, with Octoling comes full access to all the WoL effects in normal play. Pls. I wanted this since Hero’s trailer 🥺 which as you can tell was inspiration for this. And Sephiroth’s too to a lesser extent

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
The best part about Octolings in Smash Bros is that while they could be echoes, Splatoon's weapon pool is so diverse they don't have to be echoes.

For starters, I imagine the Chargers (that are not in Inkling's moveset for some unfathomable reason) would be their neutral B. Hold the button to charge, and while you're charging, your mobility is limited, just like in Splatoon.

Alternatively, Chargers would be a side smash with impressive range (look out, Min Min!), and the Dualies could be neutral B. Press the button to fire, and tap the control stick to roll in a direction.

Ooh, ooh, or Splatlings! I loved those things! Hold the button to charge, and release to fire a barrage of long-ranged ink!

Man, it feels like I gave myself a new appreciation for these dudes while writing this...

Nominate Pauline x 10

amageish

Smash Master
and yes, with Octoling comes full access to all the WoL effects in normal play. Pls. I wanted this since Hero’s trailer 🥺 which as you can tell was inspiration for this. And Sephiroth’s too to a lesser extent
Yeah, that would be a nice thing to have... It doesn't need to be with Octoling, but it'd be thematic for Octoling to come with the enemies becoming playable!

What stage would come with Octoling? Something from Splatoon 2's multiplayer or something from the Octo Expansion's story mode?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, that would be a nice thing to have... It doesn't need to be with Octoling, but it'd be thematic for Octoling to come with the enemies becoming playable!

What stage would come with Octoling? Something from Splatoon 2's multiplayer or something from the Octo Expansion's story mode?
I was thinking MC. Princess Diaries AKA the Final Splatfest Shifty Station for Splatoon 2

I imagine the WoL effects are just a toggleable thing? They’re not a full skin. Like in Hero’s trailer, when you canonically free Robin from Dharkon’s control it’s of Male Robin, but the trailer showed the dark realm aura on Female Robin

I imagine the same can apply to the full body clone effect too

oh oh and WoL very hard and/or 2p mode I need that too

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Just gotta say that if Octolings were to be a thing, they absolutely have to come with the Salmon Run stage as their stage. That's been one of my most wanted video game locations as a Smash stage since the game came out. I just think it could be incredibly fun with the changing water levels, waves of enemies, epic Splatoon music, and grungy aesthetics that are surprisingly rare in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I haven't been able to get up to eight facts as promised, but here's some fun octopi trivia to go with the theme:
  • Octopi have no less than three hearts
  • Due to their lack of most solid internal structures, octopi can squeeze through many tiny gaps
  • The veined octopus has been sighted carrying coconut shells around to act as protection, making them one of the few invertebrates to use tools
  • Octopi are considered the most intelligent invertebrates around, having intelligence around that of a toddler or a dog
  • Most octopi only live for about a year so unfortunately they often can't make much use of their intelligence
  • The oldest confirmed octopus, Proteroctopus, lived in the Jurassic 164 million years ago. Pohlsepia existed all the way back in 296, but it's up for debate on whether or not that's an actual octopus
So yeah, there's your octo facts for the night

amageish

Smash Master
I was thinking MC. Princess Diaries AKA the Final Splatfest Shifty Station for Splatoon 2
Ooooh, that would be an interesting stage premise. Good cameo potential and unique area....

I imagine the WoL effects are just a toggleable thing? They’re not a full skin. Like in Hero’s trailer, when you canonically free Robin from Dharkon’s control it’s of Male Robin, but the trailer showed the dark realm aura on Female Robin

I imagine the same can apply to the full body clone effect too
Yeah, that makes sense. A mix-and-match situation would be best...

oh oh and WoL very hard and/or 2p mode I need that too
How... how did they add co-op to the regular spirit board but not WoL? I honestly assumed it just came with the spirit board update...

Just gotta say that if Octolings were to be a thing, they absolutely have to come with the Salmon Run stage as their stage. That's been one of my most wanted video game locations as a Smash stage since the game came out. I just think it could be incredibly fun with the changing water levels, waves of enemies, epic Splatoon music, and grungy aesthetics that are surprisingly rare in Smash.
Ooooh, yeah, that'd be a very interesting stage premise. Actually, if they ever do a Smash Ultimatier, then they could make the Salmon Run by the multi-man melee where you have to beat them all up...

• The veined octopus has been sighted carrying coconut shells around to act as protection, making them one of the few invertebrates to use tools
  • Octopi are considered the most intelligent invertebrates around, having intelligence around that of a toddler or a dog
  • Most octopi only live for about a year so unfortunately they often can't make much use of their intelligence
Can we get an epic rock opera musical about the existential dread of an octopus who becomes aware of its own mortality and doesn't know how to best optimize its short life on earth?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
One thing of note is costumes. They already look quite similar to Inklings, so having some very unique designs/clothing should help a bit with that. They could even be somewhat similar in concept to the Inkling costumes. I haven't seen the usual attire they have in Splatoon itself, though, as options. I only know of their basic deisgn.
cough*dark pit*cough

For starters, I imagine the Chargers (that are not in Inkling's moveset for some unfathomable reason)
perhaps sakurai quite rightly hates campers

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Octolings can definitely get some different weapons, but I do feel like you’d need a different way to present those weapons than remixing Inkling’s kitchen sink style where each input’s just a different weapon lest you make Octoling some sort of Nega-Inkling. Using weapons as physical weapons more to contrast with Inkling‘s kicks would be a good example

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh, what would their classic mode and taunts be like?
The Classic Mode I feel could be based on some of the tests in Octo Expansion, with Galleom standing in for the final boss of the whole thing.

One of the taunts could be holding up one of those erasers (I think they're erasers. IDK it's been a while) that they collect when completing a test.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Classic Mode I feel could be based on some of the tests in Octo Expansion, with Galleom standing in for the final boss of the whole thing.

One of the taunts could be holding up one of those erasers (I think they're erasers. IDK it's been a while) that they collect when completing a test.
Mem cakes?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Y’know what a cool playstyle base would be? The Octobrush. Without ink, it’s just a sword-ish physical weapon, but with ink the splatters create interesting Bullet Art-like disjoints that are affected by gravity a bit too.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I want Octoling in Smash too, and actually believe that with a unique moveset, they could be likely for CP11. That isn't the point of this thread, though.

I conceptualised an original moveset for them over on their support thread:
Since today is Octoling's day in the Character Exploration Thread, screw it. Here's a moveset for Octoling:
  • Ink: Works exactly like Inkling's ink.
  • Jab: A rapid jab, consisting of a punch, kick, then rapid shots of the Splat Dualies that apply ink, finishing with a bigger shot. Octoling can uniquely cancel the rapid jab with a roll, at the cost of ink.
  • Side tilt: A series of shots from an L-3 Nozzlenoze that apply ink.
  • Up tilt: An upwards shot of the unnamed bow from Splatoon 3, that comes down with three shots that apply ink. Can you tell I struggled with this one?
  • Down tilt: A one-two swing of the Octobrush that applies ink. The tip has a sweetspot.
  • Dash attack: A running swing of the Sloshing Machine, producing a shot that travels forward and arcs down. The swing has a hitbox, and the shot applies ink and can travel off ledges. Alternatively, the Squid Roll from Splatoon 3.
  • Side smash: A slow but powerful swing of the Ultra Stamp that applies ink and moves Octoling forward.
  • Up smash: An upwards series of shots from a Heavy Splatling that apply ink.
  • Down smash: A placement of an Ink Mine right below Octoling, that explodes right after as part of the animation. The placement has a hitbox, and the explosion applies ink.
  • Neutral aerial: A spin with three shots of the Splat Dualies that apply ink.
  • Forward aerial: A vertical swing of the Dynamo Roller that leaves a trail of ink to fall as a projectile.
  • Back aerial: A backwards swing and shot of a Rapid Blaster that applies ink. The swing has a hitbox.
  • Up aerial: An upwards swing and brief appearance of a ball of ink, based on the Booyah Bomb's animation.
  • Down aerial: A stall-then-fall, based on the Splashdown's animation.
  • Grab: Your standard set of grabs. Alternatively, the Zipcaster from Splatoon 3.
  • Pummel: A shot from a Splat Dualie that applies ink.
  • Forward throw: A throw with both arms, based on the Ink Storm's throw animation.
  • The rest of the throws: I can't be bothered to do these, so I'm gonna cheap out and reuse Inkling's throws.
  • Neutral Special: Splat Charger: Octoling pulls out a Splat Charger and aims it. From there, you can angle it up or down with the Control Stick, hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire a trail of ink. Charged shots deal more damage, knockback and ink. Holding the shield button on the ground will cancel the charge into Octoling's ink refill, from which they can release shield to resume charging with previous charge kept or release special to go back to neutral with previous charge lost.
  • Side Special: Splat Brella: Octoling pulls out a Splat Brella and holds it in front of them, absorbing a hit for them. From there, you can hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire the Brella at the cost of ink, where it will travel along the ground, absorb a hit and deal negligible damage, knockback and ink. Charged Brellas travel faster and absorb more hits.
  • Up Special: Inkjet: Octoling goes into an Inkjet and begins to fly. Holding the button will propel Octoling up at the cost of ink, and produce a trail of ink from the jet's exhaust that deals negligible damage and ink and no knockback. If you run out of ink, the jet will explode and Octoling will enter freefall. The explosion has a hitbox that applies ink.
  • Down Special: Torpedo: Octoling pulls out a Torpedo and aims it. From there, you can hold the button to charge the throw and release to throw the Torpedo at the cost of ink, where it will travel until it locks onto an opponent and explode on contact. Charged Torpedoes are thrown faster at a higher angle and deal more damage, knockback and ink.
  • Shield Special: Ink Refill: Works exactly like Inkling's ink refill.
  • Final Smash: Tenta Missiles: Octoling pulls out a pair of Tenta Missile launchers and becomes invincible. From there, you can move a cursor around the screen and hover over opponents to lock onto them. Once a few seconds have passed, Octoling fires the missiles at the locked-on opponents, which rain down and deal heavy damage, knockback and ink. Yes, this is basically a copy of Covering Fire, but the previous DLC characters aren't too original with their Final Smashes either.
As you can see, I tried to differentiate Octoling from Inkling as much as possible, as this was created as if it could be CP11. I oriented them more around zoning and gave them a much higher emphasis on ink - possibly too high. I might do my take on a Challenger Pack for Octoling, but others have already done that and I'd need to play through Octo Expansion for ideas, which I doubt I could finish before The Final Battle.
Edit: This whole discussion has really made me want to go out and purchase Octo Expansion on a whim. Maybe I might tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
how about other characters who have been the subject of experiments? cloud, mewtwo etc
Too bad you can’t include dlc characters aside from the subject of the route in classic mode, otherwise I’d have included Sephiroth. And technically Kazuya too

maybe include… Ridley? Samus? If extracting DNA from a surgery wound to make a clone counts, Captain Falcon? (That’s 100% canon btw)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Too bad you can’t include dlc characters aside from the subject of the route in classic mode, otherwise I’d have included Sephiroth. And technically Kazuya too

maybe include… Ridley? Samus? If extracting DNA from a surgery wound to make a clone counts, Captain Falcon? (That’s 100% canon btw)
ridley in his meta Ridley outfit, shamus in reference to fusion, falcon in his blood falcon outfit

amageish

Smash Master
This has been a very good conversation, everyone! Really had a lot of ideas on how to ensure a second Splatoon rep would... stay fresh.

75+ noms
Carmen Sandiego - x115
Goomba/Goombella - x100
Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90
Ryu Hayabusa - x90
Black Mage - x85
Ori - x85
Heavy - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Crypto - x60
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Shy Guy - x35
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
FEH Summoner - x25
Scizor - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x2

Moving from one experiment to another, it is now the day of mad scientist Hououin Kyouma! I believe Flyboy Flyboy asked to be tagged on this day.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hold on a minute: why Hououin Kyouma? I thought the noms were for Rintarou Okabe?

EDIT: Oh, just checked. That was another name. My bad lol

So anyways, Okarin. Rintarou Okabe (Or Hououin Kyouma as I apparently learned was one of his names) is the main protagonist of the visual novel Steins;Gate, a particularly popular visual novel that I've covered in one of my own threads before. The dude was known for being a Mad Scientist with multiple inventions under his belt which I think could be used in his Special Attacks, but the main appeal of Steins;Gate is its time travel, which is something Smash hasn't explored before at all.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hold on a minute: why Hououin Kyouma? I thought the noms were for Rintarou Okabe?

EDIT: Oh, just checked. That was another name. My bad lol

So anyways, Okarin. Rintarou Okabe (Or Hououin Kyouma as I apparently learned was one of his names) is the main protagonist of the visual novel Steins;Gate, a particularly popular visual novel that I've covered in one of my own threads before. The dude was known for being a Mad Scientist with multiple inventions under his belt which I think could be used in his Special Attacks, but the main appeal of Steins;Gate is its time travel, which is something Smash hasn't explored before at all.
Lol, yes, Hououin Kyouma is the name of his mad scientist alter ego and the name he asks to go by at the beginning of the game, dropping it and becoming Okabe once stuff gets serious and playing scientist is no longer fun.

So, I honestly don't know how I'd make Okabe work as a fighter! I have spoken a lot about various VN reps, including in this thread, but Okabe is just... a dude who has the ability to send emails through time under very specific circumstances. I'm not 100% certain how to turn that into a Smash rep...

That said, Kurisu is a fighter in both Phantom Breaker titles, so maybe her kit could serve as inspiration? As I believe she uses a lot of the Future Gadget Laboratory inventions, in addition to summoning the other Lab Mems for select attacks...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So yeah if it hasn’t been clocked in earlier

Ori xMax

man this prob gonna bump them to the top, I hope we can do them before Oct 5

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played any of the Stein’s Gate visual novels but I loved both seasons of the anime. Okabe was a really entertaining character and I also loved “John Titer”. Do you think J. Michael Tatum would reprise his role for Smash? He did such a great job in the anime that it would feel wrong if he was played by anyone else.

Noms:
X10 Goomba/Goombella

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I’ve never played any of the Stein’s Gate visual novels but I loved both seasons of the anime. Okabe was a really entertaining character and I also loved “John Titer”. Do you think J. Michael Tatum would reprise his role for Smash? He did such a great job in the anime that it would feel wrong if he was played by anyone else.
Well, if they wanted to be accurate to the VN, then they would just have Japanese audio in all regions. That said, if they did want to do a dub, then I imagine they'd bring Tatum back. He's still active in the industry...

Anyway, I guess I'll pick some songs as per usual... We're definitely back in the "These songs would probably require remixes to be more fighting-game-y" camp.

Non-zero chance I got confused and one of those is an anime version of one of the songs, but Sephy got his film score with him so... Eh, it counts.

Anyone have any stage/spirit-list/etc ideas? I will say that I would enjoy a Suzuha brawler and Luka swordsperson.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, if they wanted to be accurate to the VN, then they would just have Japanese audio in all regions. That said, if they did want to do a dub, then I imagine they'd bring Tatum back. He's still active in the industry...

Anyway, I guess I'll pick some songs as per usual... We're definitely back in the "These songs would probably require remixes to be more fighting-game-y" camp.

Non-zero chance I got confused and one of those is an anime version of one of the songs, but Sephy got his film score with him so... Eh, it counts.

Anyone have any stage/spirit-list/etc ideas? I will say that I would enjoy a Suzuha brawler and Luka swordsperson.
As far as Stages go, the first thing that comes to mind is this:
1633059062942.png

1633059097698.png

A stage based on the Future Gadget Lab, which is closely tied to Rintarou as a character since this is...well, his lab.

amageish

Smash Master
As far as Stages go, the first thing that comes to mind is this:
View attachment 332296
View attachment 332297
A stage based on the Future Gadget Lab, which is closely tied to Rintarou as a character since this is...well, his lab.
Oooh! Very good choice. Important to the games and also an actual fictional location, as most of the locations the game takes place are, you know, real.

Top Bottom