• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think someone mentioned it. In Unlimited, you can unlock and play as any number of Maxwell's... double-digit number of siblings. I don't remember how many. Point is, they all play identical.

However, I think the only one of those we would be likely to see is Lily, who is also the only one actually important to the plot.

(Even then, I'm not sure if we'd get such a thing. Alts that are different characters are not as common as people make them sound in speculation.)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My concept of is moveset is well.. him using the notebook (not the same as creating a notebook which is a whole different story) , considering it is given by his father to solve any problem it would not be ideal for him to spawn random object to attack you. One problem is that how do we handle the "Adjective" mechanic from the game?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
My concept of is moveset is well.. him using the notebook (not the same as creating a notebook which is a whole different story) , considering it is given by his father to solve any problem it would not be ideal for him to spawn random object to attack you. One problem is that how do we handle the "Adjective" mechanic from the game?
I'm... not quite sure what you mean in the first half of your post. Creating objects is kind of what the notebook does, so I'm not sure how he would use it other than that.

As for the adjective mechanic... I mean, there are things you could do with it, which would largely depend on how you handle the rest of the moveset. But we also shouldn't overlook the possibility of just... not using it. It wasn't in the game until the sequel, after all.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm... not quite sure what you mean in the first half of your post. Creating objects is kind of what the notebook does, so I'm not sure how he would use it other than that.
It supposed to be a response to Goliso using his notebook as a weapon, like physically. It's moreso a joke about him be able to spawn anything like a notebook and use it to attack while still doing what he usually does.

Write anything, draw anything, I honestly kind of feel like if we're gonna make a Maxwell set, we'd have to give him some attacks that don't use "writes in notebook" as a base animation. Like, for example, swiping with a pencil. Or flipping the pages for a multi-hit attack. Now I'm not saying he shouldn't use his notebook as he does in Scribblenauts, just that it should be less than one may think just to make him more appealing.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Maxwell would be very fun! I imagine he'd almost have some similar vibes to Sackboy in PS All-Stars, but hopefully a bit more... fun.

What other characters/objects from the Scribblenaughts verse do we think could make it into Smash? Any particular characters you'd want as Mii costumes or people/places/things you'd want to have stage cameos?

Noms: Monika x 5

Technomage

Smash Champion
Maxwell would be very fun! I imagine he'd almost have some similar vibes to Sackboy in PS All-Stars, but hopefully a bit more... fun.

What other characters/objects from the Scribblenaughts verse do we think could make it into Smash? Any particular characters you'd want as Mii costumes or people/places/things you'd want to have stage cameos?

Hmmm, since Scribblenaughts is published by Warner Bros., I think characters from other series published by the company could make a good theme for Maxwell's CP. Examples could include Scorpion (as well as other characters that share his palette swap, such as Sub-Zero, Smoke, Reptile, Ermac, and Noob Saibot; it could be like the Bomberman costume), Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw, and Agent 47 from Hitman.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Speaking about cameo, last time I see someone suggested a stage for Scribblenauts being Edwin's farm from the first area, while I like the idea I prefer the capital city (the second area of the game), the thing about it is that it somehow work as a hubworld to other places which is just buildings present in that area like the hospital and firefighter department.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

Honestly, Scribblenauts is a little light on characters besides the vast amount you can summon from the notebook and Maxwell's glorified-costume brothers. There's Lily, Edwin, I think the Doppelganger was relevant in the DC crossover but technically existed beforehand... that's about it.

There is some stuff to be done with summonable entities, though. Obviously, because you can write anything, there isn't one you tend to get first, but there are a couple ones I think stand out.
  • Scribblenaut: Actually has a distinct design from Maxwell. I think they're one of the selectable skins in the first game, too.
  • Cthulhu: I don't know, I feel like this is one of the stock things to write in when you need a big deadly creature.
  • Time Machine and Teleporter: In at least one of the DS games, you could go to separate levels using these, which instantly makes them stand out.
  • Tyrannosaurus: Appears in official art. As detailed in Post 217, can be obtained by traveling through time and then used to kill zombies.
  • Winged Dotted Bath Tub: Appears in official art.

Paraster

Smash Lord
What do you think the Scribblenauts series symbol would be? I think either the notebook or a Starite would be the front-runners--I'm partial towards the Starite myself.

Also, what do you think Maxwell's Final Smash would be? A cinematic FS where he summons a bunch of stuff, or just summoning one particularly strong entity?

(I'd personally like to incorporate the Robosaur somewhere--not necessarily the Final Smash, but that may be the only place it'd work.)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
What do you think the Scribblenauts series symbol would be? I think either the notebook or a Starite would be the front-runners--I'm partial towards the Starite myself.
I want to pick the Starite but star being a symbol is oddly the most oversaturated one with Kirby and Terry inclusion but there's no other good alternative so yeah, that.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I''ve kind of ignored this thread for awhile, I can't believe I almost missed Maxwell day! He's one of my most wanted characters, and was a character I nommed when still active here. Before anything else, I'm gonna plug this moveset. BrawlFan1 usually makes movesets of... questionable quality, but I actually really liked this one!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I want to pick the Starite but star being a symbol is oddly the most oversaturated one with Kirby and Terry inclusion but there's no other good alternative so yeah, that.
TBF though, Kirby's Star is more rounded, Terry's is more tilted and angular, and the Starite has those little orb thingies in between the points. So at least there's some variation.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Spirit wise how can it be handle? There's not a lot of variety when it comes to character in Scribblenauts and those who do doesn't have any interesting gimmick, example like the robot dinosaur who looks cool but essentially doesn't do anything special other than having more health.

Maxwell's siblings is the second option and the third option is probably the most interesting and it involved the task in the game, either the Starite shard or the full Starite with the siblings falls under that too. Example is a battle against a tourist who's supposed to be the one from the Capital City that's on top of the skyscraper where there would be a fog and a high wind.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Spirit wise how can it be handle? There's not a lot of variety when it comes to character in Scribblenauts and those who do doesn't have any interesting gimmick, example like the robot dinosaur who looks cool but essentially doesn't do anything special other than having more health.

Maxwell's siblings is the second option and the third option is probably the most interesting and it involved the task in the game, either the Starite shard or the full Starite with the siblings falls under that too. Example is a battle against a tourist who's supposed to be the one from the Capital City that's on top of the skyscraper where there would be a fog and a high wind.
I think the best call is to include some of the more iconic summonable entities (T. rex that can be enhanced into robosaur, Cthulhu) and entities that are original to the game or at least have designs original to the game (scribblenaut, beast). Top it off with a spirit based on Lily and make the Legend spirit all 40 of Maxwell's brothers fought in a Century Smash-esque scenario (with the spirit's art being the family photo).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I saw that Paraster briefly discussed the soundtracks already but what sate some examples of songs would you guys choose if Maxwell was added to Smash?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I saw that Paraster briefly discussed the soundtracks already but what sate some examples of songs would you guys choose if Maxwell was added to Smash?
Oh, let me handle this. First off, there's this song, which is the first one I think of from the original games.
Really, the entire soundtracks to the first two games have a very charming lo-fi feel to them.

Unlimited's soundtrack is kind of like that still, but it also has some entirely different (and really good) tracks as well.

Oh, I might still have noms. Uh, I'll put those toward a Zero Escape rep.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Funny story - the enhanced port of Unlimited has a few new stages, and one of them (Zed Zeppelin) has a really good song. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure nobody has uploaded it to YouTube, so unless I record it myself I can't share it

Paraster

Smash Lord
I already discussed the soundtrack in broad strokes, but I decided now to go through them all to name some specific songs (on top of seconding the ones ahemtoday pushed):
Yeah, this was more "all the songs I think have potential" than "what I think a reasonable song list would be." Also, I left off Unmasked because I'm pretty sure we're all ignoring that can of worms.

amageish

Smash Master
We've summoned a Noms List into the world!

It's... not too different from the last one as I was a bit late and therefore a lot of people had already used their noms from the day.

The top 7 is a top 9 right now though! We're very good at ties.

50+ noms
Monika - x135
Scorpion - x83
Elma - x83
Jill Stingray - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Sir Arthur - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Hat Kid - x65

Bill & Lance - x55

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x50
Ryza - x35
Bubsy - x35
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Heavy - x30
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x30

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Warframe rep - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gordon Freeman - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Ezio - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, what would Maxwell's Classic Mode be like? Would it be majorly against creative types? Or perhaps it's themed after various things you can summon?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Hey, what would Maxwell's Classic Mode be like? Would it be majorly against creative types? Or perhaps it's themed after various things you can summon?
That's actually a tough one. "Creative types" seems the best, but I'm not even sure which fighters would fall under that.

Maybe you could represent the vocabulary in a tongue-in-cheek way by having each round be a group of fighters whose names start with the same letter (Samus + Sheik + Snake one round, Mario + Meta Knight + Mega Man another, etc.).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Would it be fitting to make Maxwell work like Guilty Gear's Faust? Like, he randomly scribbles something in the notebook and it pops out of the notebook, which can be all sorts of things like projectiles, items, temporary stage hazards like oil slick, monsters, etc? One weakness Faust's RNG has, particularly in Strive, is that some items can be used against him. Like, an opponent can grab and use the items for themselves, Maxwell would be affected by the oil slick regardless if he summoned it or not and a monster will attack whatever's closest, meaning Max can get attacked too.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Would it be fitting to make Maxwell work like Guilty Gear's Faust? Like, he randomly scribbles something in the notebook and it pops out of the notebook, which can be all sorts of things like projectiles, items, temporary stage hazards like oil slick, monsters, etc? One weakness Faust's RNG has, particularly in Strive, is that some items can be used against him. Like, an opponent can grab and use the items for themselves, Maxwell would be affected by the oil slick regardless if he summoned it or not and a monster will attack whatever's closest, meaning Max can get attacked too.
That depends really, considering every character could be damage by their own item like explosive and bombs it's a no brainer, then again summons usually attack the enemy first and you have to hit them to get their attention in his origin game.

amageish

Smash Master
Hi. How do we want to handle today? Are we continuing Maxwell, moving onto the next day, or reacting to Kazuya?

amageish

Smash Master
Okay! Kazuya discussion time.

- That is a lot of inputs. Kazuya scares me as a potential player.

- I like the Tekken stage a lot! Good variation on the KoF stage gimmicks that seems super fun to play.

- I guess fighting games just get more songs then any other genre, huh? Weird, but nice to have!

- I understand why people are upset at the Mii Costumes and their feelings are valid, of course, though personally I like them expanding the crossover in whatever ways they can as we approach this final fighter. Obviously it sucks for speculation, especially as a lot of people don't like to entertain discussion of characters that aren't likely to happen, but speculation is always going to end. When speculation does end, we'll still have content from Tales of, Skyrim, DMC and Shantae in the game, which won't be true of most franchises.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Paraster

Smash Lord
The Shantae Mii costume is just firing me up more for an actual indie fighter. I've seen several people arbitrarily claim indies can't get more than a costume, and I really hope they're wrong. The indie scene is too varied and too important to just ignore (and I only half-count Steve at best).

For Kazuya himself, I think diagonal tilts are a brilliant yet simple idea, and everything else about him is wacky in a good way. I really like Mishima Dojo. Disappointed in the lack of a victory fanfare; why couldn't we have that AND the Tekken announcer?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Honestly, yeah, I think that thing about the items getting used against him is key to how Scribblenauts feels.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Kazuya's moveset's kinda nuts. I was thinking "Sakurai might as well add Diagonal Specials to this dude at this rate", but the diagonal tilts already makes him complex. I'm surprised the 10-Hit Combo is the jab, though, that's nuts.

As for Mii Costumes, yeah, kinda feel bad for Dante fans, but I was not expecting a Dovahkiin Mii Costume in Smash at all.

amageish

Smash Master
The Shantae Mii costume is just firing me up more for an actual indie fighter. I've seen several people arbitrarily claim indies can't get more than a costume, and I really hope they're wrong. The indie scene is too varied and too important to just ignore (and I only half-count Steve at best).
I don't really have any expectations for the final character, but I have always found it odd how the community's attitude went from "Sans/UNDERTALE is impossible for Smash" to "Well, if Sans can't get in, then no indie can ever get in."

I do hope we at least get more then one indie mii in the final pack. Shovel Knight's earned it at this point and Cadence still has nothing despite having a full Zelda game under her belt...

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I do hope we at least get more then one indie mii in the final pack. Shovel Knight's earned it at this point and Cadence still has nothing despite having a full Zelda game under her belt...
At this rate I'd put a few bucks on Cadence getting in as a Mii Swordfighter in the final set of DLC. They're back on their deluxe indie Mii juice over at Nintendo so why not?

amageish

Smash Master
At this rate I'd put a few bucks on Cadence getting in as a Mii Swordfighter in the final set of DLC. They're back on their deluxe indie Mii juice over at Nintendo so why not?
I think she makes sense too, though keep in mind Mii Costumes have the same general pool as main roster additions and there are only 4-6 costumes left (barring some sort of blowout or a Sm4sh-style bonus wave). So, Mii Costumes are going to have the same "You can make sense, but not happen" stipulation roster slots have...

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Oh, I guess I should post our noms now, huh?

Technomage x10 (15 Total)
Gengar84 x10 (16 Total)
GolisoPower x15 (20 Total)
ahemtoday x25 (30 Total)
Eldrake x5 (10 Total)
Paraster x25 (30 Total)
Commander_Alph x20 (25 Total)
amageish x5 (10 Total)
Cutie Gwen x5 (10 Total)

Top Bottom