• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alright, first question: What are all the weapons in Dark Souls? I hear there's a lot options, but I don't really know any of them.
Oh, believe me, there are a LOT. Among others, we've got swords, crossbows, halberds, axes, spears, rapiers, and let's not forget the recurring Moonlight Greatsword. There's a metric ton of weaponry to pick from, and for good reason.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How about music? I know Dark Souls is composed by Matoi Sakuraba and I have enjoyed his work in Star Ocean, Tales, and Golden Sun but I’ve never actually heard a Dark Souls song.
Dark Souls is most certainly not lacking a banger soundtrack. You've got things like Ornstein and Smough, Great Wolf Sif, and Lord Gwyn, among others. As for remixes, I'd love to hear Yoko Shimomura's take on Firelink Shrine.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For my interpretation, I primarily looked to Source Gaming's likewise interpretaion.
Chosen Undead.jpg

Thou Who Art Undead
Are Chosen!

Intro: Chosen Undead gets up after sitting next to a bonfire, which then dissipates

Stance/Idle 1: His stance from the Dark Souls games
Idle 2: Chosen Undead gives a proper bow
Idle 3: Chosen Undead points forward

Notable Palette Swaps: The Chosen Undead variations from all 3 Dark Souls games.
  1. Chosen Undead (navy blue; default)
  2. Siegmeyer of Catarina (black/gold)
  3. Bearer of the Curse (turquoise/white)
  4. Solaire of Astora (green)
  5. Ashen One (red)
  6. Dragonslayer Ornstein (yellow)
  7. Black Knight (black)
  8. Silver Knight (gray)
Walk: His walk from the games. Uses no Stamina.
Dash: His dash from the games. Uses a little Stamina.
Damage: His damage animation from the games.
Jump: His jump from the games. Uses no Stamina.
Crouch: Chosen Undead feigns the Prostration gesture.

Normal Attacks
Jab: A slow 3-hit slash combo (9%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Forward+A: Chosen Undead thrusts forward (8%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Down+A: Chosen Undead slightly stabs downward (6%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Up+A: A 90 degree backwards upper slash (11%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Chosen Undead casts three fireballs around himself (11%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Air Forward+A: Chosen Undead swings two swords to the left (14%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Back + A: Chosen Undead stabs the target with two swords (12%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Up+A: Chosen Undead raises his shield up (9%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Down+A: Plunging Attack; Chosen Undead strikes downward as he plunges toward the ground (11%, with a meteor effect, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)

Dash Attack: Chosen Undead charges with a shield bash (12%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Edge Attack: Chosen Undead leaps off the edge and slashes down (8%, small knockback; uses some Stamina)
Get-Up Attack: A bonfire flame erupts around Chosen Undead and lifts him back up (7%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Soul Greatsword; Chosen Undead summons a sword made of souls and slashes to the left (23%, medium knockback; ⅓ of your Stamina)
Up+A: Great Combustion; Chosen Undead blows up a fireball above his head (19%, medium knockback; uses ¼ of your Stamina)
Down+A: Lightning Stake; Chosen Undead takes a bolt of lightning and slams it on the ground, which creates a moderate AOE shockwave (26%, medium knockback; uses ⅖ of your Stamina)

Grab Game
Grab: Chosen Undead grabs the target with his right hand, shield in the left.
Pummel: Chosen Undead bashes the target with his shield (2%-3%)
Forwards+Throw: Chosen Undead tosses the target and bashes them with his shield (11%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Down+Throw: Chosen Undead stomps on the target (7%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Back+Throw: Chosen Undead tosses the target behind himself, not even looking at them (4%, small knockback; uses no Stamina)
Up+Throw: Chosen Undead casts pyromancy that launches the target like a cannon (13%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)

Special Moves
B : Homing Soulmass
; Chosen Undead summons five magic orbs around his head, which can damage opponents upon contact (2% each, small knockback; uses nearly ½ of your Stamina). Pressing B a second time (or waiting a few seconds) causes the orbs to home in on any opponents in range (5% each, small knockback; uses nearly ½ your Stamina)
B + Forwards : Lightning Spear; Chosen Undead summons a bolt of lighting and throws it (exactly as the name implies) like a spear (24%, medium knockback; uses ½ your Stamina). It can be subtly aimed in the direction the control stick is tilted.
B + Up : Homeward Bone; Chosen Undead is surrounded by mist below him, and he is instantly warped back to the stage with no Stamina lost. However, not only is the exact spot mostly random, but he can be interrupted during the slow startup.
B + Down : Estus Flask; Chosen Undead takes one drink of an Estus Flask, which heals 40% damage. However, there are only 3 uses, so don’t get greedy.

Final Smash: Link the Flame; Chosen Undead casts Soul Stream, a beam that goes a long distance (12%). Any fighters hit are taken into a cutscene where the Chosen Undead lights the last bonfire and surrounds the area with fire (56%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Stamina Gauge; Chosen Undead has a Stamina Gauge above his HUD (along with 5 Estus Flask uses next to the Gauge on the left). Each attack he does (even quick ones) use up Stamina. It refills automatically after each move, but the amount depends on the move itself.

Taunts
1: Chosen Undead praises the sun
2: Chosen Undead performs the Shrug gesture
1+2: Chosen Undead looks skyward as he facepalms, then faces the ground as he shakes his head

Winposes
1: Chosen Undead performs the “Well! What is it?” gesture.
2: Chosen Undead praises the sun (again).
3: Chosen Undead takes a rest at a bonfire.

Applause: Chosen Undead performs the Prostration gesture
Icon: The sword in the bonfire
Boxing Ring Title: Thou Who Art Undead
Star K.O.: “You Died” appears above Chosen Undead’s HUD (and on-screen if the player loses a Spirit Battle; likewise, “Victory Achieved” appears when the player wins a Spirit Battle)
Victory Music: A remix of the bonfire theme
Kirby Hat: Chosen Undead’s DS1 helmet
(Fights with and against characters based on those from Dark Souls in medieval fantasy locations, some interrupting at random)

Round 1: :ultbowser: (team battle w/:ultlink: (Color 7)) on Arena Ferox (Main Theme - Dark Souls III)
Round 2: :ultfalco:x2 (team battle w/Chosen Undead w/Gold transformation) on Castle Siege (Taurus Demon)
Round 3: :ultike::ultrobinf: on Arena Ferox Ω (Knight Artorias)
Round 4: :ultmetaknight::ultlucina: (team battle w/:ultpit:) on Unova League (Sir Alonne)
Round 5: :ultridley:on Temple (Battlefield) (Slave Knight Gael) (:ultdarkpit: interrupts and attacks indiscriminately)
Round 6: :ultpalutena::ultrichter::ultrichter: on Anor Londo (Ornstein and Smough)
Final Round: Dracula (team battle w/:ultwiifittrainerm:) (Gwyn, Lord of Cinder)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This might be a weird question, but how popular is Dark Souls in Japan? I heard it was one of those franchises that's more popular in the West, but I didn't want to just assume things and move on.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This might be a weird question, but how popular is Dark Souls in Japan? I heard it was one of those franchises that's more popular in the West, but I didn't want to just assume things and move on.
Apparently Dark Souls was FromSoft's best-selling game in Japan when it came out. They even have FROMCults dedicated to FromSoft games since Armored Core.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For my interpretation, I primarily looked to Source Gaming's likewise interpretaion.
View attachment 320391
Thou Who Art Undead
Are Chosen!

Intro: Chosen Undead gets up after sitting next to a bonfire, which then dissipates

Stance/Idle 1: His stance from the Dark Souls games
Idle 2: Chosen Undead gives a proper bow
Idle 3: Chosen Undead points forward

Notable Palette Swaps: The Chosen Undead variations from all 3 Dark Souls games.
  1. Chosen Undead (navy blue; default)
  2. Siegmeyer of Catarina (black/gold)
  3. Bearer of the Curse (turquoise/white)
  4. Solaire of Astora (green)
  5. Ashen One (red)
  6. Dragonslayer Ornstein (yellow)
  7. Black Knight (black)
  8. Silver Knight (gray)
Walk: His walk from the games. Uses no Stamina.
Dash: His dash from the games. Uses a little Stamina.
Damage: His damage animation from the games.
Jump: His jump from the games. Uses no Stamina.
Crouch: Chosen Undead feigns the Prostration gesture.

Normal Attacks
Jab: A slow 3-hit slash combo (9%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Forward+A: Chosen Undead thrusts forward (8%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Down+A: Chosen Undead slightly stabs downward (6%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Up+A: A 90 degree backwards upper slash (11%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Chosen Undead casts three fireballs around himself (11%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Air Forward+A: Chosen Undead swings two swords to the left (14%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Back + A: Chosen Undead stabs the target with two swords (12%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Up+A: Chosen Undead raises his shield up (9%, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)
Air Down+A: Plunging Attack; Chosen Undead strikes downward as he plunges toward the ground (11%, with a meteor effect, OK knockback; uses some Stamina)

Dash Attack: Chosen Undead charges with a shield bash (12%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Edge Attack: Chosen Undead leaps off the edge and slashes down (8%, small knockback; uses some Stamina)
Get-Up Attack: A bonfire flame erupts around Chosen Undead and lifts him back up (7%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Soul Greatsword; Chosen Undead summons a sword made of souls and slashes to the left (23%, medium knockback; ⅓ of your Stamina)
Up+A: Great Combustion; Chosen Undead blows up a fireball above his head (19%, medium knockback; uses ¼ of your Stamina)
Down+A: Lightning Stake; Chosen Undead takes a bolt of lightning and slams it on the ground, which creates a moderate AOE shockwave (26%, medium knockback; uses ⅖ of your Stamina)

Grab Game
Grab: Chosen Undead grabs the target with his right hand, shield in the left.
Pummel: Chosen Undead bashes the target with his shield (2%-3%)
Forwards+Throw: Chosen Undead tosses the target and bashes them with his shield (11%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Down+Throw: Chosen Undead stomps on the target (7%, small knockback; uses a little Stamina)
Back+Throw: Chosen Undead tosses the target behind himself, not even looking at them (4%, small knockback; uses no Stamina)
Up+Throw: Chosen Undead casts pyromancy that launches the target like a cannon (13%, OK knockback; uses a little Stamina)

Special Moves
B : Homing Soulmass
; Chosen Undead summons five magic orbs around his head, which can damage opponents upon contact (2% each, small knockback; uses nearly ½ of your Stamina). Pressing B a second time (or waiting a few seconds) causes the orbs to home in on any opponents in range (5% each, small knockback; uses nearly ½ your Stamina)
B + Forwards : Lightning Spear; Chosen Undead summons a bolt of lighting and throws it (exactly as the name implies) like a spear (24%, medium knockback; uses ½ your Stamina). It can be subtly aimed in the direction the control stick is tilted.
B + Up : Homeward Bone; Chosen Undead is surrounded by mist below him, and he is instantly warped back to the stage with no Stamina lost. However, not only is the exact spot mostly random, but he can be interrupted during the slow startup.
B + Down : Estus Flask; Chosen Undead takes one drink of an Estus Flask, which heals 55% damage. However, there are only 5 uses, so don’t get greedy.

Final Smash: Link the Flame; Chosen Undead casts Soul Stream, a beam that goes a long distance (12%). Any fighters hit are taken into a cutscene where the Chosen Undead lights the last bonfire and surrounds the area with fire (56%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Stamina Gauge; Chosen Undead has a Stamina Gauge above his HUD (along with 5 Estus Flask uses next to the Gauge on the left). Each attack he does (even quick ones) use up Stamina. It refills automatically after each move, but the amount depends on the move itself.

Taunts
1: Chosen Undead praises the sun
2: Chosen Undead performs the Shrug gesture
1+2: Chosen Undead looks skyward as he facepalms, then faces the ground as he shakes his head

Winposes
1: Chosen Undead performs the “Well! What is it?” gesture.
2: Chosen Undead praises the sun (again).
3: Chosen Undead takes a rest at a bonfire.

Applause: Chosen Undead performs the Prostration gesture
Icon: The sword in the bonfire
Boxing Ring Title: Thou Who Art Undead
Star K.O.: “You Died” appears above Chosen Undead’s HUD (and on-screen if the player loses a Spirit Battle; likewise, “Victory Achieved” appears when the player wins a Spirit Battle)
Victory Music: A remix of the bonfire theme
Kirby Hat: Chosen Undead’s DS1 helmet
(Fights with and against characters based on those from Dark Souls in medieval fantasy locations, some interrupting at random)

Round 1: :ultbowser: (team battle w/:ultlink: (Color 7)) on Arena Ferox (Main Theme - Dark Souls III)
Round 2: :ultfalco:x2 (team battle w/Chosen Undead w/Gold transformation) on Castle Siege (Taurus Demon)
Round 3: :ultike::ultrobinf: on Arena Ferox Ω (Knight Artorias)
Round 4: :ultmetaknight::ultlucina: (team battle w/:ultpit:) on Unova League (Sir Alonne)
Round 5: :ultridley:on Temple (Battlefield) (Slave Knight Gael) (:ultdarkpit: interrupts and attacks indiscriminately)
Round 6: :ultpalutena::ultrichter::ultrichter: on Anor Londo (Ornstein and Smough)
Final Round: Dracula (team battle w/:ultwiifittrainerm:) (Gwyn, Lord of Cinder)
This moveset seems cool. What exactly happens when Chosen Undead runs out of stamina? Can you just not use any attacks until it refills?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Considering how important parrying is in Dark Souls, is it safe to assume a counter would be a likely addition to a moveset?
That, and that the shield should be fundamentally different than others. In my mind, Chosen Undead wouldn't have a traditional Shield (He can move while shielding. Rolling would essentially be essentially his Dash while moving with the shield up would be his walk), with his Parry-Riposte combo no doubt being a Shield-B in my eyes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I'm assuming this is five per match and not per stock? Being able to heal a total of 275% per stock would seem a bit much.
Per stock. They're meant to be last-resort options, and you'll be left wide open while you're trying to enjoy some Sunny D. Any Dark Souls fan can tell you to only use it when youu're safe to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Per stock. They're meant to be last-resort options, and you'll be left wide open while you're trying to enjoy some Sunny D. Any Dark Souls fan can tell you to only use it when youu're safe to.
I don't think you realize how much 55% percent is if you think it's even remotely ok to have it be 5 uses per stock, especially when compared to every other healing move in the game

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How would Chosen Undead’s trailer play out?
It would have to be framed like a Fire Emblem Awakening rerelease on Switch at first, in my mind. For me, we'd see Chrom, Lucina, and Robin making a trek through a large castle, later revealed to be Anor Londo, where they get into an uphill battle with one of these:
1624500039077.png

More of them arrive and one of them is about to get rid of all of them in a single blow before their blow gets parried and they get riposted for their troubles. The Chosen Undead is fully revealed and we see the gameplay.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m surprised this hasn’t been asked yet, but what would be a good boss fight if Chosen Undead made it in? I know Dark Souls is famous for its epic and insanely difficult boss fights so I imagine there are probably tons of great options to choose from.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m surprised this hasn’t been asked yet, but what would be a good boss fight if Chosen Undead made it in? I know Dark Souls is famous for its epic and insanely difficult boss fights so I imagine there are probably tons of great options to choose from.
The most wellknown are Ornstein and Smough alongside Artorias from what I can tell.

How likely is it for Sakurai to make references to Berserk in his devtool pics if we got this character?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The most wellknown are Ornstein and Smough alongside Artorias from what I can tell.

How likely is it for Sakurai to make references to Berserk in his devtool pics if we got this character?
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. It'd honestly be really cool if there were some taunt animations that loosely make Chosen Undead resemble Guts in some capacity.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Since my question is not on the current page, I'm going to post it again:
An alt costume of Solaire would practically be a given since his armor set is equippable. As an Echo, I'm not sure. In my eyes, Solaire would be an alt because the only magic he ever uses is Sunlight Spear, and Chosen Undead would have to be a blend of swordplay and magic in my eyes.

amageish

Smash Master
I really am liking all these Souls mechanic ideas! It's cool to try and work the gameplay loop of Dark Souls into the moveset.

How would the spirit board work for this series, given the franchise's lore being both famously extensive and somewhat missable?

I think Scorpion's setting records in this thread, jumping all the way up to the second highest spot in the noms list. "Get over here" indeed.

50+ noms
Monika - x95
Scorpion - x83
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Jill Stingray - x70
Elma - x68
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Hat Kid - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Sir Arthur - x40
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Heavy - x30

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I really am liking all these Souls mechanic ideas! It's cool to try and work the gameplay loop of Dark Souls into the moveset.

How would the spirit board work for this series, given the franchise's lore being both famously extensive and somewhat missable?

I think Scorpion's setting records in this thread, jumping all the way up to the second highest spot in the noms list. "Get over here" indeed.

50+ noms
Monika - x95
Scorpion - x83
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Jill Stingray - x70
Elma - x68
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Hat Kid - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Sir Arthur - x40
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Heavy - x30

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15

5-10 noms
Chun-Li - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3
I think it would have to consist of bosses if we're going to make a Spirit Board. So perhaps Ornstein & Smough, Great Grey Wolf Sif, Slave Knight Gael, the Bell Gargoyles, Chaos Witch Quelaag, and Lord Gwyn, among others.

So, to elaborate on my previous question: What would you consider to be the series' most iconic/useful weapons?

Nomination: Ezio x5
Honestly, that honor would have to go to the Moonlight Greatsword, a weapon that has appeared in practically every FromSoft game except for Sekiro (Well, sort of). Let's see George R. R. Martin write a backstory for that in Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Wow I’m not sure what happened to this thread but I think this is the longest it’s ever gone without a post.

I don’t think anyone has asked about assist trophies yet. What would be some fun options for those and how would they play?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Wow I’m not sure what happened to this thread but I think this is the longest it’s ever gone without a post.

I don’t think anyone has asked about assist trophies yet. What would be some fun options for those and how would they play?
Maybe Solaire going around and chucking Lightning Spears?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

In my mind, Artorias could make a good Assist. He'd swing his sword around while flinging abyssal sludge everywhere, and sort of "detonate" it when using abyssal magic.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Uh, bonfire... lit. Or something. I don't know, I've never played Dark Souls.

GolisoPower x30 (35 Total)
SharkLord x5 (10 Total)
Technomage x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x20 (25 Total)
Perkilator x15 (20 Total)
chocolatejr9 x5 (10 Total)
Cutie Gwen x10 (15 Total)
Paraster x5 (10 Total)
Rie Sonomura x5 (10 Total)
amageish x5 (10 Total)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I remember playing a metric ton of StarCraft II with my Dad and my brother. For the most part, Dad always mopped the floor with me, but I had victories once in a blue moon. StarCraft is no doubt one of the most popular and influential RTS's in gaming history, and fun fact, it was actually gonna be a Warhammer 40,000 game, but Blizzard lost the rights from Games Workshop to Relic Entertainment, who would go on to make Dawn of War. That's why seasoned W40K fans could find similarities between the Terrans and the Imperium, the Zerg and the Tyranids, and the Protoss and Eldar.

Kerrigan is by far one of the most likely StarCraft candidates by far for many reasons:
  1. Not a lot of people know this, but StarCraft does have an appearance on Nintendo consoles: a port of the first game for Nintendo 64! It even had exclusive missions starring Alexei Stukov!
  2. The Zerg is already a unique aesthetic for Smash, the roster doesn't have playable bug-aliens yet.
  3. As far as RTS gameplay in a 2.5D fighter goes, we already have a point of inspiration in the form of Jack-O from Guilty Gear, whose moveset is actually quite similar to RTS's.
  4. She'd be a female third-party villain, which makes her more unique than Sephiroth and Kazuya. The former of which has been steadily on the rise as of late with female Byleth, Min Min, Alex, and Pyra/Mythra.
  5. Much like how Japan loves Dragon Quest a metric ton (Urban legends of the game's release dates are prominent) and Latin America with SNK Fighters (I've heard a lot of stuff about kids sneaking off to play King of Fighters), StarCraft, from what I could find, is of the same level in Korea. Now I dunno how popular Smash Brothers is in Korea, but after seeing so many Japanese people screaming in joy over Hero and Latin-Americans going nuts over Terry, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a movement in Korea to have her in Smash, and I'd absolutely look forward to seeing Korean people being pleasantly overjoyed over Kerrigan being in Smash.
A challenging thing about a StarCraft challenger pack for me is the stage: StarCraft's playable maps are very minimalistic in terms of aesthetic, and not a lot seems to stand out. At least, that's how I perceive it. Though we could use the Leviathan we use as a hub in Heart of the Swarm, with perhaps some Palutena's Guidance-style commentary easter eggs with Kerrigan's Zerg allies. I could see some funny moments like Abathur wanting to take Inkling's DNA and use it for the Swarm, Dehaka having an interest in the Pokemon, and Stukov admiring Snake for his military experience.

Noms:
Monika x20
Warframe representative x15

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
10 noms on Bubsy.

A challenging thing about a StarCraft challenger pack for me is the stage: StarCraft's playable maps are very minimalistic in terms of aesthetic, and not a lot seems to stand out. At least, that's how I perceive it. Though we could use the Leviathan we use as a hub in Heart of the Swarm, with perhaps some Palutena's Guidance-style commentary easter eggs with Kerrigan's Zerg allies. I could see some funny moments like Abathur wanting to take Inkling's DNA and use it for the Swarm, Dehaka having an interest in the Pokemon, and Stukov admiring Snake for his military experience.
On the other hand, Ultimate's stages haven't been very crazy; thus, StarCraft's minimalistic map designs might not be much of a blocking factor.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What music tracks would come with Kerrigan?

nominations: Elma x10
Adding on to what Guynamednelson said, there's also StarCraft II, which has a lot of bangers by themselves. Like these:

What would StarCraft Spirits look like?

Noms:
Sir Arthur x20
Honestly, it could be a balance between various Terran, Zerg, and Protoss figureheads: Artanis, Dehaka, Alarak, Queen Zagara, Jim Raynor, Tychus Findlay, and Gabriel Tosh amongst others.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
RTS, particularly Starcraft's gameplay, would be difficult to translate directly into Smash. But zerg summons would serve as an easy way to represent units. Maybe they'd cost minerals or vespine gas?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sarah Kerrigan
"I am the Swarm. Armies will be shattered. Worlds will burn. Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine. For I am the Queen of Blades."

Sarah Kerrigan (PANSUP KIM).jpg
Artist: PANSUP KIM
Introduction
Starcraft is a science fiction real time franchise developed by Blizzard Entertainment. While the series is mostly known for being a PC game, the original game did release on the Nintendo 64 as Starcraft 64 in 2000. The franchise received a sequel in 2010 which spawned several expansions. It remains one of the most popular and influential games in its genre to this day.

Who is Sarah Kerrigan?
Prior to her infestation, Sarah Kerrigan began as a psychic terran soldier known as a ghost operative. During a mission, Kerrigan was abandoned by her superior, Arcturus Mengsk, when things began to look bad and was left to die. Instead, Kerrigan became infested by an alien insectoid race known as the Zerg and became one of them. In time, Kerrigan rose to become the leader of the entire Zerg race and swore revenge on the one who betrayed her.

Why Kerrigan would be great for Smash
Kerrigan is an iconic character that would offer a lot to a game like Smash Bros. For one, she is both a female and a villain, two things which Smash is still lacking (but are definitely catching up with Ultimate). I believe Sarah Kerrigan is the best character to represent the RTS genre due to her ability to control the Zerg. RTS games are all about resource management and creating an army of units to crush the opponent's base. This is something I think Kerrigan can utilize in Smash. Starcraft also really meshes well with the Metroid universe and would make for some really cool interactions if there is any kind of story mode in future games if she returns.

Potential Moveset:

Special Traits / Other:
Kerrigan would be the first true summoner character in Smash. All of her special attacks other than Psionic Shift summon various Zerg units to aid her in battle. In order to balance this, I decided to incorporate an element of resource management similar to her home series.

Vespian Gas - As the battle goes on, Kerrigan builds up resources that she can spend to use all of her special attacks minus Psionic Shift (which doesn’t cost anything since it is her recovery move). Being a simple attack, Zergling Rush attack uses the least amount of gas while the Hydralisk/Defiler/Mutalisk uses the most. She initially starts with 0 Vespian Gas but builds it up gradually as the battle goes on. The way this works in Starcraft is you have units called Drones (for the Zerg at least) traveling to mining points and bringing back Minerals and Vespian Gas to your base which you use as a currency to construct buildings and units. To simplify things for Smash, I cut it down to just Vespian Gas. I think it would be a nice touch to represent this by have some Drones (pictured below) in the background gathering resources by moving around, similar to Pokemon Trainer. If Kerrigan tries to summon a Zerg without sufficient Vespian Gas, there will a be a disembodied voice of the Overmind stating "We require more Vespian Gas".

Drone (Luke Mancini).jpg

Weak Attacks:
A Combo – Chain Reaction
Kerrigan attacks with a flow of electricity. Like Megaman’s A combo, this is a projectile attack and deals no knockback. In multiplayer, the electricity can flow to other nearby enemies if they are close enough.

Forward Tilt – Kinetic Blast
A small short range explosion from her hand

Up Tilt – Razor Swarm
Kerrigan sends out several mini shockwaves diagonally upwards

Down Tilt
A low claw swipe

Running A
A running double claw swipe

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash - Ravage
Kerrigan lunges forward and stabs the opponent with her wings.

Up Smash
Kerrigan thrusts her wings upward and stabs above her

Down Smash – Impaling Blades
Kerrigan slams the ground causing spikes to rise from the ground on both sides

Specials:
Neutral B – Hydralisk /Defiler / Mutalisk (pictured from left to right)
Similar to Dedede’s original side B that summoned Waddle Dees, Kerrigan summons one of a variety of Zerg units that wander along the battlefield and attack opponents. The hydralisk is the most basic of these. They travel along the ground and attack any opponent nearby. The defiler doesn’t actively attack but instead inflicts various status effects on anyone that gets too close with a cloud of poisonous gas. Finally, the mutalisk flies through the air and attacks any airborne opponents in its range.

Hydralisk (Luke Mancini).jpg
Defiler (Luke Mancini).jpg
Mutalisk (Luke Mancini).jpg

Forward B (Grounded) – Zergling Rush (pictured on the left)
Kerrigan summons a pair of Zerglings to rise from the ground and charge forward for a bit before diving back into the ground.

Forward B (Aerial) – Scourge (pictured on the right)
If performed in the air, Kerrigan hatches a pair of Scourge who fly forward and explode into any opponent they touch.

Zergling (Luke Mancini).jpg
Scourge (Luke Mancini).jpg

Up B – Psionic Shift
Kerrigan surrounds herself in energy then dashes in the chosen direction, damaging anyone she touches

Down B - Lurker
Similar to Snake’s mine attack, Kerrigan summons a Lurker to burrow in the ground right next to her. Anyone who walks over this location is attacked with a rising spike attack for a short while. Like the Hydralisk, only one Lurker can be summoned at a time.

Lurker (Luke Mancini).jpg

Grabs:
Grab
Kerrigan impales the opponent with her wings

Pummel
Kerrigan grabs the opponent’s face and shocks it with energy

Forward Throw
Kerrigan kicks her opponent forward

Back Throw
A simple toss backward

Up Throw
Kerrigan throws her opponent upwards followed by a quick lightning attack

Down Throw
Kerrigan slams her opponent into the ground

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Kerrigan surrounds herself with electric energy and attacks around her, much like Mewtwo

Forward A
A forward claw swipe

Back A
A backward thrust kick

Up A
A somersault kick

Down A – Quantum Ray
Shoots a beam of energy diagonally downward

Final Smash: Apocalypse
Kerrigan surrounds herself in a radius of energy. Any opponent that comes within range is struck by an explosion which triggers a cinematic cutscene. This scene mimics the final few seconds of the Betrayal on Kerrigan scene. After landing the initial strike, the opponent is transported to a ruined planet where he or she is surrounded by zergs on all sides. As they reach the target, the screen turns to black. It then returns to the normal battle screen and the opponent takes massive damage and knockback.

Apocalypse

What music could Kerrigan bring?

There are lots of great options for songs but I particularly love all the Terran themes. Here are a few songs that I think would be amazing in Smash:

Last edited:
Top Bottom