• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Thought I'd share this here as well as the Captain Toad thread. A submission for Swampasaur's Iwata tribute. Hope that's okay Swamp?

I will sorely miss the man who listened to the fans and greenlit the Treasure Tracker game. Even if he was taken aback by how popular Toad and Captain Toad genuinely were.

He made dreams come true.

I'm sure speculation will begin a-new very soon. For just a little bit longer let us pay our respects, and then we can continue, as the man would of wanted us to.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'll spend my day playing games, it's what Iwata would like

Pakky

Smash Hero
THe Wii U is a great console thank you Mr. Iwata. My god, I wonder how Miyamoto feels.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
What makes it even more sad is that other gaming development companies close to Nintendo or not are all paying their respects and condolences to him, his family, friends, and Nintendo as a whole. Just goes to show he really was a very well respected individual throughout the gaming industry.
RIP Iwata

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
What makes it even more sad is that other gaming development companies close to Nintendo or not are all paying their respects and condolences to him, his family, friends, and Nintendo as a whole. Just goes to show he really was a very well respected individual throughout the gaming industry.
RIP Iwata
Its a powerful thing when one man can unite all those opposing groups, and its awesome to see the outpouring of respect from rivals and friends alike for mr iwata. An awesome life indeed when he can unite the internet and put aside any petty console wars or hate that usually permeate many boards.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I declare July 13 to be Iwata Day. A day where we don't just remember the life, career, and legacy Satoru Iwata has left behind, but we remember what it is to be gamers and what the true meaning of a video game is. Where all speculation and console war talking stops, and we just talk a look back at all the fond memories gaming has brought to us. Iwata always wanted for us to understand but he never told us what. I think what he wanted us to understand that all gaming is, is fun, fun for everyone.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I declare July 13 to be Iwata Day. A day where we don't just remember the life, career, and legacy Satoru Iwata has left behind, but we remember what it is to be gamers and what the true meaning of a video game is. Where all speculation and console war talking stops, and we just talk a look back at all the fond memories gaming has brought to us. Iwata always wanted for us to understand but he never told us what. I think what he wanted us to understand that all gaming is, is fun, fun for everyone.
I thought it would have been the 11th tbh, but that's good enough for me.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ok well who thinks Daisy has a chance? Lol
Any character that originates from a video game and has been on a Nintendo system at least once has a chance.

A better question would be how likely she is. And I honestly don't see her as such. Captain Toad and Paper Mario seem to be the frontrunners in terms of Mario characters for DLC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well she actually does have quite the fan following; Tumblr seems awfully fond of her, and she's got a dedicated fanbase here on Smashboards too.

I personally don't think she has a chance this time round, but she's come out of seemingly no where to rival Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario in terms of popular options for new Mario characters.

Personally I'd prefer they just make Peach's Daisy outfit a true Daisy Alt, but I know the Daisy fans want something a bit more true to Daisy's character like a flower mage, or a sporty fighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Total tomboy amiright
Daisy's the least tomboyish 'tomboy' I've ever seen.

Always wears a dress or skirt, still bothers to dress up like a princess, loves flowers in all her games where it's often her power of choice...even when it's not her power is something girly still; Super Strikers has her use crystals to attack fer crying out loud.

A more apt description Nintendo should have used really is 'Energetic' than 'Tom Boy'.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Daisy's the least tomboyish 'tomboy' I've ever seen.

Always wears a dress or skirt, still bothers to dress up like a princess, loves flowers in all her games where it's often her power of choice...even when it's not her power is something girly still; Super Strikers has her use crystals to attack fer crying out loud.

A more apt description Nintendo should have used really is 'Energetic' than 'Tom Boy'.
We DO need a tomboy in smash though...Kumatora plz

You know what's kinda annoying imo? When a legendary Pokemon that's part of a group doesn't have the other Pokemon. Fore example, Xerneas does something as a summon, Yveltal has a stage cameo and Zygarde(That's pronounced Zeegarde btw) gets nothing
Agreed. And that is not the only example: Palkia, Giratina, Entei and Suicune are Poke Balls while Dialga and Raikou were shafted completely.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
If they decide to have Daisy added as more than a Peach alt I'd like her to represent Nintendo sports games as a whole. I had the idea of Waluigi filling that niche but Daisy works just as well, I suppose.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Other than Kumatora(who is the only other name I hear bounced around when tomboy is mentioned) is there any other true tomboy Nintendo characters?
Tetra maybe?
Samus is one of the least girly girls you might find, but I think that the word "tomboy" is never associated with a cold blooded warrior nature.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I doubt people getting ink all over themselves (hurrhurr) would be typical of a tomboy, but moreso of a stereotypical ditzy blonde
In all fairness she's basically paintballing which is a stereotypically male past time. Not overly girly outfits, no makeup, no girly weaponry at all...Inkling probably could count.

Oh yeah, and I can't believe I forgot her but...fricking IMPA is pretty tomboyish.

Hell, she's basically female Link. But with a better design than 'Linkle'.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well lucina straight up pretended to be a dude and samus has been mistaken for a dude by many many people does that count?
When Lucina isn't slaying her enemies with her sword she's slaying everyone's eyes with awful fashion sense, but she seems to prefer dresses.

From her C-Support with her Mother
  • :4lucina:: Mother, guess what? I found a wonderful dress in the town market.
  • :4robinf:: Oh?
  • :4lucina:: It was gorgeous! I thought it'd be just perfect for you, so I bought it. I was thinking you could try a different style for once.
  • :4robinf:: Why, Lucina! What a lovely surprise! Now let me get a look at this gorgeous... Er...dress? Oh dear. I've never seen so many...unusual colors and shapes in one piece of clothing.
  • :4lucina:: I know! It's very modern. See all the giant pink polka dots? If you look carefully, you'll see that each one is a portrait of Emmeryn herself! I wager when Father sees you in this, he'll just scream with delight!
  • :4robinf:: (I bet he'll scream, all right...)
I swear it's a crime she wasn't included in the Kamyu Pamyu Pamyu Commercials

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I think Daisy genuinely has a decent shot.

Think about it, she ticks nearly all of the suitable boxes for an additional fighter.

She's more recognisable than most of the CURRENT cast, which is key for single-character DLC.

Unlike Toad, her overall personality (which IS important) and figure is extremely well suited for fighting games. A versitale, competitive moveset for her that integrates sports and flowers would genuinely not be difficult to create at all. She definitely doesn't have to be a Peach clone.

She's a popular choice around the web (except for GameFAQS and Reddit who hate her with a passion).

The greatest thing holding her back is the "spin-off fodder" mentality. But no other franchise has a greater variety of "spin-offs" that Mario has. It's not like she's filler either. Daisy can appear playable in a roster of less than ten. Not comparable to your generic NPC Goomba or Fawful.

And @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , she might not be that much of a tomboy, but she does have an attitude that is more aggressive than Peach.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad , she might not be that much of a tomboy, but she does have an attitude that is more aggressive than Peach.
To be fair Toadette is more aggressive than Peach. The aggression bar isn't held particularly high by Peach.

Generally speaking Peach is (supposed to be) the most passive person in the Mushroom Kingdom being the all loving and caring princess that she is.

Of course that goes out the window a bit when she has to stop being a sweetheart to get stuff done in Smash, SMB2, Super Mario 3D World, SMRPG and the time she had to defend the entire kingdom being the only one not having her emotions manipulated by an outside force in Super Princess Peach.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
According to Mario Kart 7, Daisy has more priority than Waluigi

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Tomboy-ness in female characters doesn't really have to be this debated. All it really means is that they have some traditionally masculine interests alongside their traditionally feminine ones. As long as they have that then they can qualify.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
According to MK8, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach and Baby Rosalina have more priority than Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, King Boo, Funky Kong, Petey Piranha, Dry Bones, King K. Rool and Captain Falcon
:yeahboi:

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
To be fair Toadette is more aggressive than Peach. The aggression bar isn't held particularly high by Peach.

Generally speaking Peach is (supposed to be) the most passive person in the Mushroom Kingdom being the all loving and caring princess that she is.

Of course that goes out the window a bit when she has to stop being a sweetheart to get stuff done in Smash, SMB2, Super Mario 3D World, SMRPG and the time she had to defend the entire kingdom being the only one not having her emotions manipulated by an outside force in Super Princess Peach.
Super Princess Peach was the epitome of why I don't like Peach. The game was too easy, it focused on mood swings and crying, and didn't hold a candle to Mario's adventures.

I prefer Daisy because she's more grounded and realistic. Plus she's more interesting as a character.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Super Princess Peach was the epitome of why I don't like Peach. The game was too easy, it focused on mood swings and crying, and didn't hold a candle to Mario's adventures.

I prefer Daisy because she's more grounded and realistic. Plus she's more interesting as a character.
It might have been easy but I found Super Princess Peach really fun and I'm kinda bummed there's no sequel because wtf happened with Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom