• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Anyone else feel like there should be a smash stage ballot? Imagine all the different ideas that could be implemented through direct fan feedback...(not that I'm biased but I feel like Phendrana Drifts would have the most support for a new stage, outside of past stages of course)

Last edited:
Anyone else feel like there should be a smash stage ballot? Imagine all the different ideas that could be implemented through direct fan feedback...(not that I'm biased but I feel like Phendrana Drifts would have the most support for a new stage)
I actually made a joke vote for Hyrule castle 64 a while back.

maybe they listened :surprised:

I think maybe stages might be too abstract to be voted on. They all act so differently. Im not sure if that one would work.

phendrana <3

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Anyone else feel like there should be a smash stage ballot? Imagine all the different ideas that could be implemented through direct fan feedback...(not that I'm biased but I feel like Phendrana Drifts would have the most support for a new stage, outside of past stages of course)
No way. Bowser's Castle would almost certainly be the winner if such a thing existed. How it isn't yet a stage is simply baffling.

StormC

Smash Hero
I get the impression that resources for DLC stage development are a lot more limited than character ones, since so far we've only had N64 stages, glorified Battlefield (Miiverse), and Suzaku Castle which has zero hazards to speak of and a simple layout. I don't see them adding stages like Mushroom Kingdom U or Kalos League.

It could nonetheless be an idea for the next game, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I get the impression that resources for DLC stage development are a lot more limited than character ones, since so far we've only had N64 stages, glorified Battlefield (Miiverse), and Suzaku Castle which has zero hazards to speak of and a simple layout. I don't see them adding stages like Mushroom Kingdom U or Kalos League.

It could nonetheless be an idea for the next game, though.
That's actually a good thing overall if you think about it. Remember how a big complaint with the main game was that there were too many game-changing hazards on darn near every new stage? Having a few tamer ones as DLC, even if it's just due to fewer resources, adds more overall variety in that regard.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Beyond Amiibo.

As you can see here, at least 80 characters are included. All of them can be unlocked by normal means. Since there is less than 80 amiibo, and this is a Mario game...
I'm in doubt, but I was really hoping to see an 8-Bit Villager, not freakin' Isabelle. Geez, I'd like to see Tom Nook over her. Anyway, this game just looks better and better. I remember having a lot of fun with good ol' Mario Paint.

Speaking of, I think Mario Paint would make for an awesome level...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I actually made a joke vote for Hyrule castle 64 a while back.

maybe they listened :surprised:

I think maybe stages might be too abstract to be voted on. They all act so differently. Im not sure if that one would work.

phendrana <3
I get some of the issues with this, possible reason why there is no Stage Ballot to begin with since requests would literally be all over the place, as any area from any game could literally make a viable stage, and pretty much any gimmick can be implemented to said area. But I feel like being able to give better feedback on other areas of the game would be beneficial and since stages are second to characters in terms of game content I think it would be cool for us to give our two cents as well. Not to mention it gives Sakurai a better idea of what fans want from stages as well...since, after characters, Stages are pretty damn important when it comes to gameplay in Smash...

I'm sure there would be a few popular picks for stages though...Like I said Phendrana Drifts would be easily accepted by any Metroid fan, a lot of Mario fans would like to see Bowser's Castle make it's debut, and I'm sure there are plenty of old stages that would be popular like Saffron City and the Pirate ship (and Big Blue, and Fourside, and Poke Floats...and...)
And while giving feedback, suggestions for possible gimmicks that could be implemented as well so sakurai could get an idea of how much people dislike annoying stage bosses and things that randomly kill people....

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I'm in doubt, but I was really hoping to see an 8-Bit Villager, not freakin' Isabelle. Geez, I'd like to see Tom Nook over her.
Well, given the amount of spaces available in that picture, it's possible every amiibo will give a suit. That's probably Isabelle's amiibo especially since it shows her in her Winter outfit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
By the rate this is going, I could see Isabelle getting into Smash 5 as a :4villager: semiclone, or even alt. Am personally extremely for character alts as costumes, the way :4alph::4wiifitm::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4villagerf::4robinf: where handled.

I could see Poo or Paula working out for :4ness:.
Kumatora for :4lucas:.
Various Lords from Fire Emblem for :4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4lucina: (Eliwood, Alm, Sigurd, ect).
Various incarations of :4link::4zelda::4ganondorf:.
Galactia Knight for :4metaknight:.
Even Impa as an alt to :4sheik: would be better than her never getting in at all to.
And I think the only hope for a new face for F-Zero would be the way through giving :4falcon: alts to.
Daisy could become an actual alt to :4peach: to, including her voiceclips.
Dry Bowser also needs to happen for :4bowser:.
I also somehow think they could make Slippy Toad an alt to :4falco: and make it pass as believable.

Anyone else having more ideas?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
WSJ: Will there be amiibo for “Star Fox Zero”?

Miyamoto: There will be one new amiibo, the character Falco. He’s part of the “Super Smash Bros.” line but also a “Star Fox” character. You’ll get something — it’s a surprise.
Wolf confirmed?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
How on earth are you guys reading anything about Wolf into that statement? Miyamoto is literally saying "you get something if you use the new Falco amiibo, but we're not saying what it is yet".

It means absolutely nothing about Wolf.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
By the rate this is going, I could see Isabelle getting into Smash 5 as a :4villager: semiclone, or even alt. Am personally extremely for character alts as costumes, the way :4alph::4wiifitm::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4villagerf::4robinf: where handled.

I could see Poo or Paula working out for :4ness:.
Kumatora for :4lucas:.
Various Lords from Fire Emblem for :4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4lucina: (Eliwood, Alm, Sigurd, ect).
Various incarations of :4link::4zelda::4ganondorf:.
Galactia Knight for :4metaknight:.
Even Impa as an alt to :4sheik: would be better than her never getting in at all to.
And I think the only hope for a new face for F-Zero would be the way through giving :4falcon: alts to.
Daisy could become an actual alt to :4peach: to, including her voiceclips.
Dry Bowser also needs to happen for :4bowser:.
I also somehow think they could make Slippy Toad an alt to :4falco: and make it pass as believable.

Anyone else having more ideas?
:4ryu: - Evil Ryu
:4yoshi: - Boshi
:4falcon: - Blood Falcon
:4myfriends:- Chrom (A stretch.)
:4pacman:- Ms. Pac-Man
:4fox: - James McCloud
:4dk:- Kiddy Kong

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Im not sure if this was posted about star fox zero already but look at this
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/...-explains-the-original-star-fox-sequels-fate/
WSJ: Who wins in a battle: Fox or Mario?

Miyamoto: Fox is pretty strong in “Super Smash Brothers.”
Haha, wow. You can say that again Miyamoto.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hey guys, would you hate me if Impa actually got in?
yes

N-no! Of course not! It's not like she'd be replacing Sheik or anything like that. No reason to be disappointed with a new character, IMO.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey guys, would you hate me if Impa actually got in?
Hell no. Had it not been for your incessant whittering on about Impa prior to Hyrule Warriors, I probably wouldn't have bothered playing her as much as I did in that game and wouldn't of ended up falling in love with the character.

Arcadenik converted me to Duck Hunt(dog) way back when and I initially thought it was a really dumb idea.
Over the lead upto Rosalina's reveal I came around to the idea as I remember how popular a game it was, how it had a profound affect on Light Gun technology and how overall Duck Hunt was one of the most iconic Nintendo retro games of all time. I ended up supporting the dog as my fourth most wanted a year before his reveal trailer arrived.

Blaming you for opening my eyes to a character I hadn't considered before is a rather ridiculous thing to do, especially since Hyrule Warriors ended up being my game of the year 2014(sorry Smash, you were edged out; should of frigging included Toad) and a big part of that was the charm of playing as Impa, cutting through hordes of moblins to rescue Zelda with Link.
Ended up playing the game through with her in any level I could, and leveled her up past 200. No one else came close.

I probably wouldn't have even bothered taking such an interest in her had it not been for your Impa rants. Made me appreciate the character's overall impact. You did good Diddy.

Right now Impa's my number 2 most wanted, which is impressive considering three years ago Impa was a character that barely registered on my mind when Zelda was mentioned. All thanks to your Impa rants and Hyrule Warriors allowing me to play as her and appreciate the Sheikah guardian in a whole new light.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't mind Impa.

I just dislike the idea of Impa replacing Sheik when they can both be distinct characters.

I'll reiterate: they ARE distinct characters.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't mind Impa.

I just dislike the idea of Impa replacing Sheik when they can both be distinct characters.

I'll reiterate: they ARE distinct characters.
Speaking, I made a sort of moveset for her Hyrule Warriors playstyle in this new thread that's all about describing potential newcomer's playstyles. Anyone interessted in reading it?

Speaking, I made a sort of moveset for her Hyrule Warriors playstyle in this new thread that's all about describing potential newcomer's playstyles. Anyone interessted in reading it?
I just read it. It was a good moveset, although I doubt that they would use anything from HW in Impa's moveset.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I posed this question before, and didn't really get an answer. If Impa replaced Sheik and the only difference was the name and appearance, what would your objection be? Is it just you hate change? You think Zelda the character needs to have two personae in the game? You are very enamored with her look? I'm genuinely curious.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I posed this question before, and didn't really get an answer. If Impa replaced Sheik and the only difference was the name and appearance, what would your objection be? Is it just you hate change? You think Zelda the character needs to have two personae in the game? You are very enamored with her look? I'm genuinely curious.
It's be the most pointless thing ever to do for both Impa and Sheik fans.
Can we just mention Impa without talking about the cutting of Sheik in the same conversation?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can we just mention Impa without talking about the cutting of Sheik in the same conversation?
I believe that Hyrule Warriors might keep Sheik alive in the spin-off series, if Hyrule Warriros indeed becomes a total new spin-off series to Zelda. Which I actually think is very likely. It has more DLC than any other Wii U game till date. And it's getting a 3DS release. Even though it might be on the NX, I think it's likely Hyrule Warriors will live on. And seeing how different Impa and Sheik are in those games, it's not hard to imagine them being different in Smash either.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Given that many people did not mention cutting her, I would say yes.

What is a Sheik fan? It's Zelda in a costume. That's like having separate Superman and Clark Kent fans.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Sheik's popularity mostly comes for her two-time Top Tier status in both Melee, and now this game. Couple that with the fact she instantly reminds people of Ocarina of Time and I think I kinda know where her popularity comes from. Not that I agree with the overall notion mind you.

I won't be crying for her removal, but Sakurai plz nerf this eyesore for me please. The fact that Diddy got so hit with nerfs, but Sheik -out of all characters- remains untouched is just something I want justice for. I always enjoyed beating a good Sheik more with Diddy because of my previous hatred for the character, but now it's not even anymore on high level of play. And that disturbs me more than anything.

I really don't understand why this character keeps on being an eyesore to me. My guess is it's either fate, or karma.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
While I wouldn't call her an eyesore, I do understand her presence being bizarre. I think you are completely right about the tier thing. It reminds me of pre-Brawl speculation. Most people who wanted the clones cut gave special exception to Falco because hewas high tier.

I don't really expect an answer to the question. People seem to just get defensive and question why even consider the question. I would just like to know how you can form an attachment to a costume. My question offers no changes save aesthetics. What is Sheik's appeal outside her moveset?

As for Zero Suit Samus, I would pose the same question if there were another character who could be swapped in aesthetically. Dr. Mario as well (Dr. Luigi would have the same issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom