• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sheik and Zelda aren't the same character?

Are Bruce Wayne and Batman the same person? Yes. Are they the same character? Absolutely not. Bruce Wayne is absolutely nothing like his alter ego. Much like Sheik and Zelda.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This whole thing is dumb.

They are separated now and even without the transformation mechanic, Sakurai felt Sheik was valuable enough to keep her in.

She ain't going anywhere and honestly arguing whether her popularity came from Melee or Zelda is just trying to discredit the character through bull****.

If it's a bad thing that her popularity came from Smash than she isn't the biggest offender.

:4falcon: is.
:4feroy:is also very high up there.

As is :4ness:.

And :4lucas:.

And:4jigglypuff:

And :4shulk:.

And :4gaw:.

And :4rob:.

And :4wiifit:

To those Sheik detractors who say popularity from smash isn't important.

What do you say about these?

Are they not worthwhile?

Or is it suddenly okay because you don't see them as competition? :troll:

Sheik isn't going anywhere. :4sheik:

She needs a couple nerfs though...

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
An enemy rep from Zelda would actually be pretty cool.
However, if I had a boss character as a fighter in Smash, well...

I've got it. Ganon could be the second Zelda character in Smash to have an alter ego! The wizard, Agahnim.

OK, let's not go down that path. Ganon as a standalone Smash fighter it is.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes he's a classic character and would be an excellent complement to Pac-man.
As far as Retro Namco characters go, he's one I actually like.

And he's definitely iconic.

Definitely not the worst choice.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
When people ask for other Namco characters besides Pac-Man, they usually aren't all that well-known outside of the gaming community. Characters like Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Klonoa, etc. But while not many people know the character's actual name a ton of people DO know the guy from Dig Dug. So while I wouldn't mind either of those other two characters I know I'd be stoked for Taizo Hori the most. That pump of his could be really creatively implemented in Smash, too.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was thinking about Balloon Fighter since he didn't seem like feasible or interesting as a fighter, and I thought up a couple fun ideas if even he's included.
He could have more than two balloons, one popping for each of his jumps, leaving him with two which he violently detonates for his Up Special. They could never have him touch the ground, moving by swimming in the air.
Also, water balloons as a projectile that pushes opponents (like Fludd) would be fun, as would a projectile made from a balloon that's blown up then let fly.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ooh, Balloon Fighter. I had an idea for him a while back where he could switch between being a fast-falling character and a floaty character, depending on how many balloons he has. Having both balloons would make him as floaty as Jigglypuff, while having one would make him a middleweight like Mario, and having none would make him fall as fast as Fox. Other fighters can pop his balloons but, if you so wish, Balloon Fighter would be able to manually pop his own balloons as well as re-pump them.

So in a nutshell he'd stand out among other Smash characters by being able to switch between different weight classes, either as his will or against it. It would be pretty unique, to say the least.

Pakky

Smash Hero
As far as Retro Namco characters go, he's one I actually like.

And he's definitely iconic.

Definitely not the worst choice.
thank you, I was trying to think of a character that would be well known and have presence in Smash and I remember him. I wouldn't say he's as popular as Pac-man, heh not by a long shot, but Dig Dug does have a strong arcade presence and most gamers and maybe some non-gamers know of the game. Also Pookas are already in the game already so I would assume that they along with the Fygars would make nice additions to his move set. I would assume both enemies could be summoned for a short amount of time as specials.

I'm making a support thread as soon as I get up again. Though it will be my first so no promises.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As most of the people here are asleep, I take the opportunity to bring a new topic to the discussion :p :

As we got :fox:, :falco: and :wolf:, and then :4marth:, :4lucina: and:4feroy:, I have now no problem to see him included in the next Smash and forming the complete Mother trio along with:4ness: and :4lucas:, and getting the :wolf:treatment with :4lucina: as well.

As most of the people here are asleep, I take the opportunity to bring a new topic to the discussion :p :

As we got :fox:, :falco: and :wolf:, and then :4marth:, :4lucina: and:4feroy:, I have now no problem to see him included in the next Smash and forming the complete Mother trio along with:4ness: and :4lucas:, and getting the :wolf:treatment with :4lucina: as well.
I doubt were going to get a third (separate) Earthbound/Mother character, and Porky and Masked Man would be much better picks imo. He would be fine as Ness's alt though.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

At the least he should've been an Alt-Costume

There was a ton of potential for Alt Costumes but they just seemed to miss every one

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
This whole thing is dumb.

They are separated now and even without the transformation mechanic, Sakurai felt Sheik was valuable enough to keep her in.

She ain't going anywhere and honestly arguing whether her popularity came from Melee or Zelda is just trying to discredit the character through bull****.

If it's a bad thing that her popularity came from Smash than she isn't the biggest offender.

:4falcon: is.
:4feroy:is also very high up there.

As is :4ness:.

And :4lucas:.

And:4jigglypuff:

And :4shulk:.

And :4gaw:.

And :4rob:.

And :4wiifit:

To those Sheik detractors who say popularity from smash isn't important.

What do you say about these?

Are they not worthwhile?
Or is it suddenly okay because you don't see them as competition? :troll:

Sheik isn't going anywhere. :4sheik:

She needs a couple nerfs though...
They are all worth while. I am not sure R.O.B. has benefited from popularity though...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I support the Pig King for the 3rd Mother character with/without the mecha, as a mecha user would be really different from a PSI Kid.

Plus he's a villain and a dirty coward.

:231:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Taizo Hori?
How many names does Dig Dug have? (He was called Woofa in Pac-Man Party.)

I can see this scenario happening a lot.
Random person: Alright I'm fighting Ness
Ninten: 4th-D Slip!
Random person: Not Ness! Not Ness! Crap!
(Yes I know 4th-D Slip isn't an attack it's just the first thing that popped into my head. It would make for a good recovery move though.)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How do I do the Spoiler? :/
[ spoiler ] *insert text here* [ /spoiler ]

Do so without the spaces between the brackets and the word "spoiler"
Like this:
Black mage 4 Smash!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since when has morality been a factor? >_>

Might as well cut Ganondorf then, who is a repeat offender.

He can't help it. He doesn't have a choice in the matter; fate forces him to be bad. :awesome:

Porky on the other hand, is just evil for the sake of being evil. Just like Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He can't help it. He doesn't have a choice in the matter; fate forces him to be bad. :awesome:

Porky on the other hand, is just evil for the sake of being evil. Just like Ridley.
One could argue that Porky is just an abused Child and Ridley is looking out for his species.

Morality is relative after all.:awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

To be fair, he had a heck of an abusive childhood. He was originally just a petty child.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How would you guys feel if every character returned from the past game and...
Pichu became at least semi-clone due to balance reasons,
Young Link became a semi-clone of Link, making him even more different than Toon Link,
The Pokémon Trainer becomes a glorified random button for Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, gaining his own winning animations, and automatically switching Pokémon each time one gets KOed. Choosing a Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard will allow you to play as that Pokémon the whole match,
Squirtle gets a new down special,
Ivysaur gets a new down special,
Dark Pit became a semi-clone of Pit, and is more power based,
and Lucina became a semi-clone, and has more KO power.
Mii Mage added with a bunch of moves taken from Zelda, Black Mage, and Palutena. Each Mii class became a default moveset, with the Custom Miis being fully customizable. You can change their weapon, animations, attacks, stats, and even their trophy pose. Each available attack is shared with at least one other fighter in the roster, but you can mix and match as much as you want for maximum uniqueness. (I can put more detail into it in another post if you want.)

On top of that we got the following newcomers (Disregaurding the fact they could be future DLC, and that new franchises could pop up later):
Inkling
King K. Rool
Impa
Chibi-Robo
Takamaru
Xenoblade Chronicles X character
Fire Emblem Fates character
Next Gen. Pokémon
Black Mage
Paper Mario
Isaac
and one or two others.

Last edited:
Young Link became a semi-clone of Link, making him even more different than Toon Link,
The Pokémon Trainer becomes a glorified random button for Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, gaining his own winning animations, and automatically switching Pokémon each time one gets KOed. Choosing a Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard will allow you to play as that Pokémon the whole match,
Mii Mage added with a bunch of moves taken from Zelda, Black Mage, and Palutena. Each Mii class became a default moveset, with the Custom Miis being fully customizable. You can change their weapon, animations, attacks, stats, and even their trophy pose. Each available attack is shared with at least one other fighter in the roster, but you can mix and match as much as you want for maximum uniqueness. (I can put more detail into it in another post if you want.)

On top of that we got the following newcomers (Disregaurding the fact they could be future DLC, and that new franchises could pop up later):
Inkling
King K. Rool
Impa
Chibi-Robo
Takamaru
Next Gen. Pokémon
Black Mage
Paper Mario
Isaac
and one or two others.
I would think "man smash 7 is a weird game"

Because that is a LOT of characters :p

Most of those newcomers i dont care for though. . .

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would think "man smash 7 is a weird game"

Because that is a LOT of characters :p

Most of those newcomers i dont care for though. . .
7? I thought it would be 6, but commonly referred to as 5.

If smash keeps getting a sizeable amount of newcomers, then we a going to have a LOT of characters. The more the merrier I say.

Me either. Though some characters could be replaced with others because they have a pretty good shot at being a DLC character for this game.

EDIT: Thinking more on it... If we got another dual platform Smash game then we would have a smash 7.

Last edited:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

Inkling
King K. Rool
Impa
Chibi-Robo
Takamaru
Next Gen. Pokémon
Black Mage
Paper Mario
Isaac
and one or two others.
Then the guys in charge of balance patch updates better be up for the task since there are bound to be a lot more characters with something exploitable or overpowered about them that get overlooked in playtesting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then the guys in charge of balance patch updates better be up for the task since there are bound to be a lot more characters with something exploitable or overpowered about them that get overlooked in playtesting.
Yeah. It would probably take a year to make sure there are no glitches with the Mii Fighers if they use my idea. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom