• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Quality over Quantity for new Smash characters I say.

Also, I definitively disagree with series just getting "another rep". That's the worst reason to add a character, and is something that I don't even think is highly considered.

If they have something unique? Sure, go on ahead. That's mainly why I think Inklings would be great, and I think Snake should come back. Here's a list of newcomers I think could be cool based on gameplay:

Inklings
K.Rool
Isaac
Professor E.Gadd
Wonder Red/Wonderful 101
Rayman

I just personally think showing examples of gameplay is more fun to talk about than "This series should get a second REP because it only has one REP. REP REP THE REP REP"

Being unique is most important. But being FUN and PRACTICAL are equally important. Certain amounts of uniqueness can feel tacky. Some users think they have these great ideas, when it would either be broken or just awful. Granted, that can all be up to preference. But that's just my opinion.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Also, I definitively disagree with series just getting "another rep". That's the worst reason to add a character, and is something that I don't even think is highly considered.

If they have something unique? Sure, go on ahead. That's mainly why I think Inklings would be great, and I think Snake should come back. Here's a list of newcomers I think could be cool based on gameplay:

Inklings
K.Rool
Isaac
Professor E.Gadd
Wonder Red/Wonderful 101
Rayman

I just personally think showing examples of gameplay is more fun to talk about than "This series should get a second REP because it only has one REP. REP REP THE REP REP"

Being unique is most important. But being FUN and PRACTICAL are equally important. Certain amounts of uniqueness can feel tacky. Some users think they have these great ideas, when it would either be broken or just awful. Granted, that can all be up to preference. But that's just my opinion.
Continuing in this vein there's a big difference between a genuinely interesting new game play mechanic and a poor gimmick for the sake of uniqueness. We need more of the former and less of the latter.

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123

Inklings
K.Rool
Isaac
Professor E.Gadd
Wonder Red/Wonderful 101
Rayman

You have great points here.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
People used to be all over the idea of a playable Ninten once the game would hit the West, but it has died down once they realized that there are more deserving characters to vote for or that he's probably going to be clone material. As per usual, the "Ninten is just Vanilla Ness argument" would still rear its ugly head again.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
How would you guys feel if every character returned from the past game and...
Pichu became at least semi-clone due to balance reasons,
Young Link became a semi-clone of Link, making him even more different than Toon Link,
The Pokémon Trainer becomes a glorified random button for Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, gaining his own winning animations, and automatically switching Pokémon each time one gets KOed. Choosing a Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard will allow you to play as that Pokémon the whole match,
Squirtle gets a new down special,
Ivysaur gets a new down special,
Dark Pit became a semi-clone of Pit, and is more power based,
and Lucina became a semi-clone, and has more KO power.
Mii Mage added with a bunch of moves taken from Zelda, Black Mage, and Palutena. Each Mii class became a default moveset, with the Custom Miis being fully customizable. You can change their weapon, animations, attacks, stats, and even their trophy pose. Each available attack is shared with at least one other fighter in the roster, but you can mix and match as much as you want for maximum uniqueness. (I can put more detail into it in another post if you want.)

On top of that we got the following newcomers (Disregaurding the fact they could be future DLC, and that new franchises could pop up later):
Inkling
King K. Rool
Impa
Chibi-Robo
Takamaru
Xenoblade Chronicles X character
Fire Emblem Fates character
Next Gen. Pokémon
Black Mage
Paper Mario
Isaac
and one or two others.
I don't see this happening. Especially the part of all veterans returning. Eventually there will come a time where characters possibly even entire series will have to be let go of to make room for the new. If your hands are always closed holding on to what you currently have you can't open them to receive the new stuff being handed to you. I know taking a side like this usually offends people, but it's just the way I see it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's some ideas for E.Gadd.

I don't really have his archetype nailed down, but I like the concept of him using his own vacuum made especially for Smash. He could use the Vacuum to blow and suck air. This, however, would have to be worked on depending on how OP blowing would be. It can't be as strong as the Gust Bellows, as that would be game breaking. It also can't be too weak to the point where it isn't practical.

Additionally, E.Gadd would use Ice and Fire elements, just like Luigi did in the original Luigi's Mansion. They would effectively be stance changes, but wouldn't actually change the movesets, simply the way the attacks work. For example, if his Neutral B was a charged attack, Fire would be stronger and cause a burn for gradual damage for a few seconds. On the other hand, Ice would be weaker, but would freeze opponents. If he wanted to get creative, Sakurai could add in Electric attacks to make it a sort of elemental based moveset. Yes, it might sound similar to Robin, but the ideas here make it so you literally cannot play E.Gadd the same way as Robin. That in itself is fairly unique.

I could see him working a bit like Shulk as far as the modes. You can flip through Fire/Ice/Neutral just by the click of a button. The sucking and blowing could be used for spacing/stage control...if you get too close, you can risk getting sucked into a grab. If you aren't careful recovering, E.Gadd can chase you off the stage and blow you away...beware the vacuum Ike!
---
Just some ideas that kind of bring something new, but stay true to the character. I don't know how great his chances would be, but I think this moveset idea could make people want to play as him. It sure makes me want him!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see this happening. Especially the part of all veterans returning. Eventually there will come a time where characters possibly even entire series will have to be let go of to make room for the new. If your hands are always closed holding on to what you currently have you can't open them to receive the new stuff being handed to you. I know taking a side like this usually offends people, but it's just the way I see it.
I never said it was likely.
Any cut character that isn't Wolf, the Ice Climbers, or possibly Snake probably will not return.
There is no way they will make the Mii Fighters that customizable.
Everything else is semi-realistic.
Now here is where I don't agree with you. With the exception of Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Sheik, Smash fans love their unique veterans. And Sheik detractors only hate Sheik because Impa isn't playable. Remove Dark Pit, I'm probably the only one that cares, remove Greninja you'll get a small group sad, remove the Villager, you will get a sizable group sad, remove Charizard, you get an angry mob of fans, anyone more beloved than that, and the internet will blow up. I'm not saying everyone in the game is a lock for the next one, and I'm sure Greninja, and the Wii Fit Trainer will be the first to go if need be. Key words being "if need be". Sakurai has always tried to translate most if not all of the characters to each game. Think about it, the reasons given for a character not appearing in the next game had been A. Not enough time, or B. Technical difficulties. In either situation there was no way to add said character. Smash games come once a console, and each console gets better and better. I don't think console limitations will ever be a problem as far as the growing number of characters. But you have your unpopular beliefs, and I have my even more unpopular beliefs. I'll just agree to disagree. There is no point in arguing anyway. It's not like we are going to persuade each other. lol.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Even the Balloon Fighter himself is starting to hate the detractors that are still using the tired "But Villager already has a move based on him!" argument. I guess this is what happens when any character they hate gets in the way of K. Rool and Shantae's "slots" in the Ballot. :laugh:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Even the Balloon Fighter himself is starting to hate the detractors that are still using the tired "But Villager already has a move based on him!" argument. I guess this is what happens when any character they hate gets in the way of K. Rool and Shantae's "slots" in the Ballot. :laugh:
If you're saying 'only vote for this character because X' you look ****ing dumb, even if there's good reasoning. Iwata wants gamers to have fun, hell, he suggested the ballot iirc. He'd want us to be able to have our choices

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we're voting for any NES star to become playable right now, it should be Excitebike, or Takamaru.
For honouring Iwata I think a trophy of him and a Mii Fighter costume for a Balloon Fighter is more than reasonable.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm here to conduct a quick survey on Balloon Fighter.
Vote yes or no for Balloon Fighter:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll364042x5eae4Bc5-14
Where's the option for: Want him for 5mash?

Because I love Balloon Fight. It and Duck Hunt are pretty much my two favourite retro games. I still play Balloon Fight on the 3DS even now.

However with Villager in doing Balloon Fighter's most iconic move...

...I know this is to honour Iwata, but even so I don't know if I want him as one of the few SSB4 DLC newcomers if his only real abilities are already in use from another character.

But there are 'slots' for the ballot. There's a limited amount of characters left, that much has been made clear to us. Also yes; Villager DOES have Balloon Fighter's only ability. It's not like loads of characters use two balloons to jump and flap around, it's clearly Balloon Fighter's move.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If we're voting for any NES star to become playable right now, it should be Excitebike, or Takamaru.
For honouring Iwata I think a trophy of him and a Mii Fighter costume for a Balloon Fighter is more than reasonable.
But "muh generic swordsman"...

Oh wait, doesn't matter since Sakurai's will always use "logic" to make the detractors look dumb in the end like the Little Mac (just punch) and Duck Hunt (too stupid) situations again. :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm honestly surprised the Pichu supporters haven't suggested him as an Iwata tribute.

He did some major work on Pokemon Gold and Silver after all.
I was going to bring this up at first, then remembered that everyone wants him to stay "deconfirmed". The reactions towards that fake leak a few weeks ago is proof of how much the Smash fanbase seems to despise the idea of him being a DLC fighter.

(I wouldn't mind unless he receives some Roy-levels of buffs and retooling).

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Again can we cut the arguments of saying a character that don't have moveset potential I'm suprised that this is still an argument used against characters. Serioulsly, this reason irks me so much, if you can't come up with a good moveset then fine, but don't think Sakurai and his team can't come up with one, it's been proven time after time. Again off the wall characters that people wouldn't have think of got in and have unique fighting styles :4wiifit:, :4villager:, :4duckhunt:. So can this argument finally be dropped.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Inklings
K.Rool
Isaac
Professor E.Gadd
Wonder Red/Wonderful 101
Rayman

This. We're at a point where the majority of characters we put on Smash 5 rosters are just empty voids from whatever series that are deemed "rep-worthy." Talk about a staggering step down from Melee, Brawl or Smash 4 character discussion, where there was at least some semblance of soul, discussing existing characters we cared about.

Even though it feels glaring to still not have Toad on the roster at all, I'd definitely not mind seeing E. Gadd first with that sort of moveset (or King Boo, my top outstanding Mario character).

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The problem I see is more to do with how we have gotten nearly every big name or known Nintendo character. With only a few remaining, people start looking at characters just for the sake of adding and repping (Not saying everyone does this though). To name the well known Nintendo characters and 3rd parties remaining...

King K Rool
Snake
Wolf
Rayman
Ridley
Excite Biker

After that, most of the Nintendo characters are lesser known than the ones listed. This doesn't mean we can't choose a character simply because they are not known however. Inkling, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Takamaru, and a few others could add unique movesets. It just comes from the problem that they aren't on the same level of Characters added in the past. I just hope people don't like these characters for this reason though.

But hey, who's to dictate who's popular or not.

Talking about repping?

Obligatory best dk rep link
http://smashboards.com/threads/rep-rep-repping-the-dk-series-icon-support-thread.377669/

At least the Pokémon, mario, kid icarus, and FE fans arent clamoring for reps hut actual characters.

I still hate repping in all forms :)

The problem I see is more to do with how we have gotten nearly every big name or known Nintendo character. With only a few remaining, people start looking at characters just for the sake of adding and repping (Not saying everyone does this though). To name the well known Nintendo characters and 3rd parties remaining...

King K Rool
Snake
Wolf
Rayman
Ridley
Excite Biker

After that, most of the Nintendo characters are lesser known than the ones listed. This doesn't mean we can't choose a character simply because they are not known however. Inkling, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Takamaru, and a few others could add unique movesets. It just comes from the problem that they aren't on the same level of Characters added in the past. I just hope people don't like these characters for this reason though.

But hey, who's to dictate who's popular or not.
but there is more to support than just being a big name.

Wonder Red isnt a big name at all but the is so fun and unique. So i support him. Basing things just on iconicness leaves out so many cool options because its too narrow :/

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's weird how people ignore that Bandana Dee is... a Waddle Dee, the most iconic enemy in the Kirby franchise and the species that appears in EVERY KIRBY GAME.
Bandana Dee is not just "another random Kirby rep", "not iconic" or "the bottom of the barrel".
He is a character with uniqueness, importance and he also would represent the entire Waddle Dee species.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's weird how people ignore that Bandana Dee is... a Waddle Dee, the most iconic enemy in the Kirby franchise and the species that appears in EVERY KIRBY GAME.
Bandana Dee is not just "another random Kirby rep", "not iconic" or "the bottom of the barrel".
He is a character with uniqueness, importance and he also would represent the entire Waddle Dee species.
Plus he's cute
Look at that shocked crying face

image.jpg

Also helps that he's a SAKURAI created Kirby character, something most Kirby characters don't have

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There are very few "big name" characters left right now.

In a few years time, there will be plenty of distinguished characters from new games to choose from.

These things will work themselves out.

Support who you want and have a damn good time doing it - that's how I do it~ :3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's kind of the way I see it, there's not many big names left and they can simply pick lesser choices based on uniqueness. Doesn't help the fact that these "big names" had been ignored or kept out for a while and we all know who they are. Of these big names, King K. Rool and Snake to a lesser extent can easily happen based on fan demand this time around. Toad had been demoted to meat shield status for a while, though Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker at least helps him distinguish himself from the average Toad.

As for Ridley, it's pretty obvious what Sakurai thinks of him given this man was known for the impossible.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
King K Rool
Snake
Wolf
Rayman
Ridley
Excite Biker
This guy gets it. :smirk:
(That is actually my biggest argument in favor of the biker).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Excitebiker being an "All Star" was never really a stretch if we look back at the character's legacy. A popular NES game, an expanded 64 sequel with a track editor, a Monster Truck spinoff for the Wii, another spinoff with wannabe Transformers, and an eShop title that acts as a hypothetical third game.

The only think he really need to do is sold the whole problem of "not being able to jump without ramps", but Nintendo Logic dictates that there should be no logical region for why the bike can't jump without them.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Excitebiker being an "All Star" was never really a stretch if we look back at the character's legacy. A popular NES game, an expanded 64 sequel with a track editor, a Monster Truck spinoff for the Wii, another spinoff with wannabe Transformers, and an eShop title that acts as a hypothetical third game.

The only think he really need to do is sold the whole problem of "not being able to jump without ramps", but Nintendo Logic dictates that there should be no logical region for why the bike can't jump without them.
Not even including the other games, the NES game is remembered by many. Excite Bike, Duck Hunt, and Super Mario Bros were the 3 big games that alot of people owned, or just remembered seeing. However, I would like to see the other games, specifically Excite bots, to be a part of the moveset. Having a moveset based around a bike is interesting, and I would like to see more mounted characters like Bowser Jr.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Sheik and Zelda aren't the same character?

Are Bruce Wayne and Batman the same person? Yes. Are they the same character? Absolutely not. Bruce Wayne is absolutely nothing like his alter ego. Much like Sheik and Zelda.
No. Bruce Wayne is Batman's real name. They are one character. You have a strange definition of character if you think a person's alias is a separate character. I will concede that Batman presents himself differently in his two identities, but I present myself differently to different people at different times, too. For example, most people here don't go by their real name. Is Scoliosis Jones a different "character" from your true self?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
As Cool as Excite Bike is I'd rather they mix it with Mach Rider like they did with Duck Hunt and the Zapper Games

Give Mach Rider all the cool stunts and whatnot and Excite Bike alts, Cause while Mach RIder has all the flashy-ness, Mach Rider has all the moves, together they'd make a interesting fighter

Let's fuse this up

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Realistically, what could an Excite Biker do?

I am genuinely curious. I have only briefly played the version given out to 3DS ambassadors, so to me there seems to be very little, which could be taken and incorporated into someone like Mach Rider who Sakurai apparently wanted personally.

I am open minded. I hate the idea of Balloon Fighter especially as it feels like players are trying to cash in on Iwata's death with him but I can begrudgingly accept that there's some interesting ideas for movesets there. I am curious as to whether there is something similar with Excitebike that I'm missing, as right now the character feels completely one dimensional to me.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
For Excite Biker, I have two two options on how it could play out. One, if you look at the excite bike support thread, it can be based around different tricks on his bike. Along with that, specials are based on stuff from the game (ramps, mud pile, boost mechanic). One thing I'm wondering on how it could work, is a mechanic for the bike. See, if you fail landing in Excite bike, you fall off and quickly try to get back on. So, I feel like if Excite Biker took to much damage, he falls off and is in a helpless state. The thing is, I need to work out how it could fit in the game not be a ridiculous gimmick.

And as a random idea, Excite Bike could be the bases for the racing games of Nintendo, like Duckhunt with zapper games. He could do Mach Rider, Excite bots, Wave Race, and Stunt Race FX related moves. It's really a stretch, and doesn't work as well as Duckhunt with Zapper games: But, it was a weird idea I thought of. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Realistically, what could an Excite Biker do?

I am genuinely curious. I have only briefly played the version given out to 3DS ambassadors, so to me there seems to be very little, which could be taken and incorporated into someone like Mach Rider who Sakurai apparently wanted personally.

I am open minded. I hate the idea of Balloon Fighter especially as it feels like players are trying to cash in on Iwata's death with him but I can begrudgingly accept that there's some interesting ideas for movesets there. I am curious as to whether there is something similar with Excitebike that I'm missing, as right now the character feels completely one dimensional to me.
He would probably fight with a bunch of tricks that are present with the motorbike racing in the real world. For example, his dash attack could bring him to a sudden stop, causing him to do a wheelie on the front wheel of the motorbike, and headbutt the opponent. I could see a lot of his moves having multiple hit boxes like the Wii Fit Trainer.

another spinoff with wannabe Transformers.
Exite Bots was an awesome game. Do not deny it. :p

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have a moveset for Excitebike that borrows some Mach Rider elements.
Off the top of my head:

Oil Drum (Mach Rider) - kick over an oil drum that spills a puddle of oil on the ground.

Turbo Boost (Excitebike) - use rocket boosters to dash forward. Will set an oil slick on fire if you dash over it.

Trick Ramp (Excitebike) - launch yourself over a ramp. Combination of Spring Jump and Launch Star.

Switch Gear (Mach Rider) - Swap between different modes on your bike, exchanging speed for power or weight, and vice versa.

Final Smash: Excite Truck - Become a monster truck and rampage over the battlefield. Similar to Landmaster.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I updated the first post in my Barbara the Bat thread. I'd like some constructive criticism. Tell me if I should change anything or if there is anything else I need to add.

Thanks!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No. Bruce Wayne is Batman's real name. They are one character. You have a strange definition of character if you think a person's alias is a separate character. I will concede that Batman presents himself differently in his two identities, but I present myself differently to different people at different times, too. For example, most people here don't go by their real name. Is Scoliosis Jones a different "character" from your true self?
You missed the point. Bruce Wayne and Batman, although the same person, both act very differently. Just like Sheik and Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom