• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Do we have an obnoxiously cheerful character in Nintendo's history that instantly cheers you up when feeling down? I want them in now just to stop feeling gloomy about everything
paper Mario cheers every time :)

(he even cheers in paper jam when you do bros attack not involving him).

Like, even his pose when faint is cheerful :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
paper Mario cheers every time :)

(he even cheers in paper jam when you do bros attack not involving him).

Like, even his pose when faint is cheerful :)
That made me chuckle, better than nothing.

Eh...Remember my idea about ATs earlier about who should be a SF AT? And if a third party character of your choice got in, who should be an AT to join them? Juri was my SF idea and I want Branson from Shantae as an AT. Either him or Squid Baron

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Actually, me posting this made me remind of something that paper jam shows.

Around a month ago, one supporter came in his support thread joking about him being paper. He just said that he would be too fragile in ssb because you could do stuff like crumple him or cut it and would be weird in smash for that (it's a joke btw, the guy actually supports him).

And although he may have a point because he fought only paper enemies, paper jam shows that there;s no problem taking down non paper foes :)

I jsut wanted to point this thing :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Paper Mario gets into Smash, all I ask from him is:
- Tons of Paper Mario music
- when you charge his FSmash (the Hammer) it actually has the charge meter from Paper Mario TTYD, and when you land certain attacks it will actually praise you like in Paper Mario. "Nice!".

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If Paper Mario gets in at any point then we need the Glitz Pit as a stage and Rawk Hawk as an assist trophy too.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If Paper Mario gets into Smash, all I ask from him is:
- Tons of Paper Mario music
- when you charge his FSmash (the Hammer) it actually has the charge meter from Paper Mario TTYD, and when you land certain attacks it will actually praise you like in Paper Mario. "Nice!".
yeah, there;s a huge potential in effects like this, for the meter, I would honestly not have it, but have the beeping.

As for the words
and such, I think the best place to not disturb too much is the final smash.

As for music, yeah, so much choices :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do we have an obnoxiously cheerful character in Nintendo's history that instantly cheers you up when feeling down? I want them in now just to stop feeling gloomy about everything
Waluigi has that effect on me. Not exactly cheerful, but he almost never fails to crack me up. Thanks internet. :p

:231:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Battle Stage from Paper Mario 2 is one of my dream stages for Smash.

- It would have a live audience like in the game, and it will grow and shrink depending on the level of action. Occasionally the audience will throw projectiles and helpful items to certain players.

For example the audience will boo and throw harmful things at fighters who repeatedly use the same moves and fighters who constantly target a single player in a free-for-all, and helpful items at players who play well.

- The stage would have different background themes that it would swap between via the curtains closing and opening (you can see the fighters behind them while they're closed via silohettes). These stage transitions are themed after different areas in the whole series, such as Bleck's Castle, Petal Meadows, and, of course, the Glitz Pit.
These stage transitions will have different props to use at platforms.

- The stage has walk offs similar to the ones found in Flat Zones, but it's a way bigger stage.

- PAPER MARIO music.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reyn and Riki are great characters for cheering up.
Can't have a Rainbow without Reyn baby!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The Battle Stage from Paper Mario 2 is one of my dream stages for Smash.

- It would have a live audience like in the game, and it will grow and shrink depending on the level of action. Occasionally the audience will throw projectiles and helpful items to certain players.

For example the audience will boo and throw harmful things at fighters who repeatedly use the same moves and fighters who constantly target a single player in a free-for-all, and helpful items at players who play well.

- The stage would have different background themes that it would swap between via the curtains closing and opening (you can see the fighters behind them while they're closed via silohettes). These stage transitions are themed after different areas in the whole series, such as Bleck's Castle, Petal Meadows, and, of course, the Glitz Pit.
These stage transitions will have different props to use at platforms.

- The stage has walk offs similar to the ones found in Flat Zones, but it's a way bigger stage.

- PAPER MARIO music.
I wrote a lot more from the support thread OP, it;s basically what you described, but it has even more :)

Just click on my sig and it's under stage, it is indeed the best stage idea ever :)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay everyone, let's put the crazy predictions on the table. What are expecting from the Nintendo NX? I personally want Nintendo to pull a twofer and have it backwards compatible with the Wii and Wii U.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This is the character discussion thread, not the general discussion one guys :U

keep it somewhat relevant please

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
How do we reckon the next wave of DLC characters will work out?

I can see it carrying on in a cycle of three as it was this time; come August, we could have Wolf, other pre-ballot and early ballot result as the next pack. The next two-month interval to carry on the trend would be October, though I imagine that'd be way too early for any new character announcements, so I could see Sakurai waiting until early-mid 2016 to finish off the next, and possibly final, character pack.

Taking into account the characters we already have now, plus another two packs of three, that'd be ten DLC characters in total.

Reasonable?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
How do we reckon the next wave of DLC characters will work out?

I can see it carrying on in a cycle of three as it was this time; come August, we could have Wolf, other pre-ballot and early ballot result as the next pack. The next two-month interval to carry on the trend would be October, though I imagine that'd be way too early for any new character announcements, so I could see Sakurai waiting until early-mid 2016 to finish off the next, and possibly final, character pack.

Taking into account the characters we already have now, plus another two packs of three, that'd be ten DLC characters in total.

Reasonable?
So... How about one DLC pack for Fall, then one for early Spring?

Two packs of three would be.... Exciting, to say the least.

Everytime someone mentions chrom i wish he was an alt for someone again.
marth lucina ike i dont care i just want to play as him ;_;

Although a roy alt would be perfect because roy is the most fun :troll:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isabelle fits that moniker pretty well. The more time goes on, the more I want her in Smash because the idea of a character that is so clumsy that they accidentally kill people but is totally innocent is downright hilarious to me. For example, :4dedede: dash attack is probably my favorite attack in that game for that very reason. The fact that it hits harder than most of cast's smash attacks and can reasonably kill most of the cast at like 60% makes it that much funnier to me.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's a question to provoke conversation (interesting or otherwise):

If you could go back in time to any instance before the release of Smash 4, what would you tell yourself about this game's roster?

I'd go back to 2008 and tell myself, "See that angel? The one with the naff haircut and personality of a wet brick? Yeah, you're gonna main him in six years."

Okay.
"Your boy's coming home with the world warrior in tow."
Something like that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everytime someone mentiobs chrom i wish he was an alt for someone again.
Chrom as a Roy alt could work.
Roy does seem to be a middle ground between Marth and Ike like we thought Chrom would be.
Isabelle fits that moniker pretty well. The more time goes on, the more I want her in Smash because the idea of a character that is so clumsy that they accidentally kill people but is totally innocent is downright hilarious to me. For example, :4dedede: dash attack is probably my favorite attack in that game for that very reason. The fact that it hits harder than most of cast's smash attacks and can reasonably kill most of the cast at like 60% makes it that much funnier to me.
Yeah I love the idea of Isabelle for that reason.
She could have most of Villager's moves, but the animations make them all look accidental.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Everytime someone mentiobs chrom i wish he was an alt for someone again.

As long as it's not "Ow the Edge" Chrom, that is fine with me. Something about his design rubs me the wrong way and it's hard to believe that they want that version to be playable.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
For DLC, Sakurai seems to be focusing pretty much solely on popular characters.

Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas were "particularly popular" among the cut veterans, Ryu is simply a huge icon in gaming overall and the whole purpose of the ballot is to survey which characters are the most popular when it comes to Smash. And of course, they need to start working on the Ballot characters soon enough, which makes it unlikely that they'd put any effort into bringing back the unpopular cuts.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"If you remember back in April, we made the Smash Bros. Ballot. The top 3 characters are King K.Rool, Isaac and oddly enough Krystal. **** that noise, we want to spend what little money we have for DLC purely on veterans including the Ice Climbers who need even more money. Look at the site for the kickstarter page as the Ice Climbers are too expensive to create"

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"If you remember back in April, we made the Smash Bros. Ballot. The top 3 characters are King K.Rool, Isaac and oddly enough Krystal. **** that noise, we want to spend what little money we have for DLC purely on veterans including the Ice Climbers who need even more money. Look at the site for the kickstarter page as the Ice Climbers are too expensive to create"
Can't tell if serious or sarcasm? :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a question to provoke conversation (interesting or otherwise):

If you could go back in time to any instance before the release of Smash 4, what would you tell yourself about this game's roster?

I'd go back to 2008 and tell myself, "See that angel? The one with the naff haircut and personality of a wet brick? Yeah, you're gonna main him in six years."
I had just joined SmashBoards on June 26, 2009... and I quickly earned a reputation as that crazy guy who thinks Duck Hunt Dog can be in Smash...

If I knew that Duck Hunt Dog will be in SSB4 back then... I would happily earn myself a reputation as that delusional guy who thinks Duck Hunt Dog will be in Smash.

Arcadenik, circa 2009: "Duck Hunt Dog will get in because Sakurai will see it my way whether you like it or not... and Ridley won't get in because Sakurai knows he is too big. You can quote me on that when SSB4 comes out. :smirk:"

Arcadenik, circa 2009: "Yeah, we will see about that when SSB4 comes out.... and when that happens, I will have my Duck Hunt Dog catch you some crows for dinner. :awesome:"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For DLC, Sakurai seems to be focusing pretty much solely on popular characters.

Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas were "particularly popular" among the cut veterans, Ryu is simply a huge icon in gaming overall and the whole purpose of the ballot is to survey which characters are the most popular when it comes to Smash. And of course, they need to start working on the Ballot characters soon enough, which makes it unlikely that they'd put any effort into bringing back the unpopular cuts.
Although, that's the kicker, Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers have consistently been making the top ten most wanted in poll after poll. Their demand may not be as high (although, to be fair, :4mewtwo: was basically this game's :sonic:) but it's still pretty high overall when you consider they're beating out a good number of the popular new choices.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I want my Kasumi in Smash since we do need that Tecmo rep and Ryu would probably be rejected for being "too edgy". ;_;

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, I'm sure were going to get a few ballot choices too, hence why I brought up the mix of unpopular and popular characters statement.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It would be nice to have a Street Fighter game with Smash Bros. controls.
So a second street fighter rep makes smash a street fighter game? Well in that case i guess we're boned already because Smash is a capcom game now with the addition of Ryu.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
People thinking we're gonna get a ton of veterans back is another example of fans hanging on every single word Sakurai says.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about this for a while; sometimes I can't help but wonder if Roy was added from his unused files from Brawl. Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy were all planned for Brawl, but were scrapped due to time constraints, and in return we have all three of them in SSB4, all of them most likely using their scrapped files from the previous game.

Alongside those three characters both Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda/Tetra had missing files from the same game

Honestly, it makes me wonder if they're going to be added, but we'll likely never know until a couple months

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been thinking about this for a while; sometimes I can't help but wonder if Roy was added from his unused files from Brawl. Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy were all planned for Brawl, but were scrapped due to time constraints, and in return we have all three of them in SSB4, all of them most likely using their scrapped files from the previous game.

Alongside those three characters both Dixie Kong and Toon Zelda/Tetra had missing files from the same game

Honestly, it makes me wonder if they're going to be added, but we'll likely never know until a couple months
Unpopular Opinion Alert: I kinda feel these two are probably the most likely pre ballot characters we could probably get. As I personally feel that Sakurai might want to revisit them and implement them into the game. He has a bit of a track record of doing so and like you said. Most of Roy's changed moves where probably ideas that where scrapped from Brawl. They don't really have any technical issues to hold them back either.

Besides them I can only really think of Wolf, although Sakurai's latest Direct made it sound as if Lucas, Mewtwo and Roy would be the only pre-ballot veterans..... (It's probably for the best to continue push for his inclusion over at the ballot in case he doesn't indeed become a pre-ballot character imo)

Then there is Ice Climbers and a Rythm Heaven character. Although if the latter is the Glee Club then they might suffer from the same issues as the Ice Climbers did..... If Pra_Mai was meant to be Plusle and Minun (Which I kinda doubt) then they would probably suffer from the same issues too.

As for Toon Sheik, I don't really see her making it in with transformations gone and I kinda doubt that she was meant to be Tetra....

That's just my opinion though. *Holds up flame shield*

Last edited:

Bangirasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Quimet87
3DS FC
4038-6572-1716
Besides the winner of the poll that will be closed in October, do you think there will be any more DLC, or will that poll winner be the last character to join?

I'd like the Inklings from Splatoon to join the fight for three reasons:
-Splatoon has been the most popular new game from Nintendo in years. It's having more popularity that Pikmin or Xenoblade when they appeared.
-Almost all battlers are from 90s and last new franquice in Smash is Xenoblade, from 2006-08 (I don't remember). Having a new franquice from 2015 would be awesome.
-There is a lack of gunners in roster.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, I'm sure were going to get a few ballot choices too, hence why I brought up the mix of unpopular and popular characters statement.
There is a limited amount of resources, why bother making unpopular characters DLC? Especially after Sakurai says DLC is about making fans happy? "Because I can predict Sakurai"No one can, it's bad business, do you want nother Federation Force-like controversy? "WE WANT TO PLAY AS THESE CHARACTERS" "These characters were heavily requested and are the top score in the Ballot. However, I decided to make Kaepora Gaepora playable because I thought lolrandom character."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom