• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Jigglypuff and Ganondorf are not going to be garbage. You can ENJOY this game."
That reminds me of an amazing kill I got with Ganondorf on Wednesday. last stock, both people left of the 6 player match, me and a friend playing Shulk, high percents with him at Smash. I use Utilt by accident. He trie to punishes with Backslash. I hit him on the last frame possible

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The japanese description says that she likes spicy food and large breasts, but that doesn't mean she is lesbian to me.

She is just provocative and bizarre.

Well, I don't care.

juri ultra.gif

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Here's a question to provoke conversation (interesting or otherwise):

If you could go back in time to any instance before the release of Smash 4, what would you tell yourself about this game's roster?

I'd go back to 2008 and tell myself, "See that angel? The one with the naff haircut and personality of a wet brick? Yeah, you're gonna main him in six years.
For me, it would be
" Remember the good doctor from Melee? He'll be back with a bang. "

:231:

If you could go back in time to any instance before the release of Smash 4, what would you tell yourself about this game's roster?

I'd go back to 2008 and tell myself, "See that angel? The one with the naff haircut and personality of a wet brick? Yeah, you're gonna main him in six years."

Okay.
"Dont trust anyone"

Errr
" you're 4 favorite characters will be 2 dlc (at the same time) and 2 star fox characters. Also focus on the character not the series. It doesnt matter what a character reps but what they bring to the table by themselves."

Although if im telling my past self things apeculation is going to be low on my priority list. I have much beter asvice maybe past me would follow. "Dont procrastinate you idiot"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

"Gematsu lies." :p

Your two most wanted newcomers (then K. Rool and Ridley) are not in. :(

I really hope DLC will change K. Rool's situation (Ridley's situation is hopeless unless Sakurai steps down or changes his mind).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd go back to 2008 and tell myself, "See that angel? The one with the naff haircut and personality of a wet brick? Yeah, you're gonna main him in six years."
I'd go back to 1999. My younger self would be three. I would explain to my younger self the importance of Rareware. I would then purchase Banjo-Kazooie and Super Smash Bros. for my younger self.
As I depart, I would tell my younger self to tell everyone he sees that "Rareware can't be bought by Microsoft, they must stay with Nintendo."
My younger self will have spread this strange news across the world. Nintendo, hearing this news despite it not possibly being public, takes it as a sign, and fully acquires Rare.
Rare continues making games for Nintendo. Banjo-Threeie, and more. Nintendo prospers from these excellent games, and with so much talent and money behind the company, Nintendo soon acquires every other prominent game publisher in the world.
In order to compete with Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings movies and Game of Thrones The Legend of Zelda is turned into a largely successful film and TV series.
By the fourth iteration of Super Smash Bros., in contrast to our timeline, Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, Conker, Lara Croft, Cloud Strife, Nathan Drake, King K. Rool, Sackboy, Dark Souls Knight, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, and many more join Smash Bros.
Oh, and Ghirahim from the Zelda series is in too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I'd go back to the 64 days and tell my younger self to not bother hoping for Toad and save myself 15+ years of heartache as I explained Yoga Trainers, Mario in a lab coat, a pair of inuits from a game barely anyone cared for and another character from Mother; a series of which my country wouldn't even get Ness's game released for another 13 years, were all going to get in before one of Nintendo's most instantly recognisable characters.
I doubt I'd believe myself though since even now that seems bat**** insane.
I'd tell myself it wasn't all bad though; Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Ryu from Street Fighter and Mario can all fight eventually together, and Duck Hunt was to become a pretty fun character.

I'd also warn myself pre-Smash 4 announcement that Wii Fit Trainer was going to be a character so I could **** with people. "HOW'D HE GUESS THAT?!?" People would flock to ask the oracle questions like "Will Ridley finally get in?" "Will K. Rool become a character?"

In hindsight maybe it's a good thing I can't do this, I would not use this power for good.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Go to 2007: "You know Wii Fit? That casual game that's become a worldwide craze and driving hardcore Nintendo fans into a fit of rage over that you swore you were never going to play? That's going to be represented in the Smash after Brawl with a playable character and, guess what? She's going to be one of your mains. Let that soak in..."

Go to 2005: "I know people tell you that you're dumb for supporting them but :4villager: will eventually be playable in Smash Bros. Keep supporting them until then. The best part is that the ideas you've proposed like using the net, shovel, and axe do wind up being part of the final character too."

Go to 2002: "Megaman's going to be in Smash... in about 12 years. Now stop writing letters to Nintendo and don't go into a month long tirade when he doesn't make the cut in the next Smash game that comes out in six years. He'll make it eventually; I promise."

Pakky

Smash Hero
WTF do you mean with 'such a teenage girl'?When I said 'other games' I meant from stuff like Pac-Man World, and I remember Juri's Japanese profile saying she like girls

I unblocked you because I thought 'maybe blocking someone based on their idiotic logic about Pokemon was dumb. Congratulations, you're officially a moron!
Oh hello lovely, decided to come out and play did we?

I said that because only someone young and ignorant would make a statement against the most classic and recognizable things in Pac Man for anyone from Pac-land. Not mention you are reactionary and extremely immature. Knowing this board censors swearing why in the world would make it a point to swear in just about everything you post. Only an immature teenager would do that.

Ha yes because anything from Pac-land is more recognizable than the ghosts, please. What kind of logic is that?

On Juri, give me link because I'm not seeing anything but heresay.

No you unblocked me because someone told you I was talking about you. Also on "idiotic logic" I remember you saying that it was dumb of me to think that:

1. A pokemon needed to be replaced in order for a new one to come in

2. Six being a fixed number for Pokemon reps is dumb.

In response I say this, first of all after the count of pokemon in smash exceeded 2 reps from brawl on down were indeed cut for other pokemon to replace them. Pichu was replaced and Mewtwo was as well from Melee to Brawl, Then Ivysaur and Squirtle were replaced when Smash 4 came around. These are facts. Also instead of going on about saying "Oh my gawd veterans" let's step back and think of why they were chosen to be in the game in the first place shall we?

Melee

came out before the third gen games which debatably didn't have that much going on compared to second gen.
What were some of the biggest mechanics introduced in second gen? Breeding was the biggest one. Who represents breeding? A baby pokemon,Pichu. Why was Pichu chosen? Because he/she is the lower form of the most popular pokemon in the world and it's technically still a "new" pokemon

Why was Mewtwo chosen? The first movie had just premiered in the states and beforehand in Japan which put its popularity at all time high. Along with its status in game.

When it comes to brawl despite Pichu being popular during the third generation (Pichu bros shorts) breeding is no longer the hot new thing therefore it's rep is expendable. Mewtwo though slated for brawl got cut because of time. That being said its popularity did resurface during that time due to his inclusion in "Fire Red & Leaf Green" however due being cut I can only assume that he was on a very low on the priority list.

Brawl
Was being developed while the fourth gen of pokemon was being made but after the third gen had passed. During that time Lucario had his movie, popularity goes through the roof and he is chosen. He also fits that new pokemon trope that's building up at this point.

Pokemon trainer was a nod to the reboot of the franchise with the release of "Fire Red & Leaf Green" in the third generation.
As such in smash Red (pokemon trainer) has the three starters from his region, each one representing a stage that a starter goes through on one's pokemon journey. To complement this you even start off with squirtle and get charizard last when playing through Subspace Emissary.

Smash bros Wii U/3DS
X and Y are in development alongside smash. Charizard is the first non legendary to receive, that along with the knowledge that anyone at Nintendo (Sakurai) undoubtedly had about all the promotional material featuring Charizard as the main character made it clear that it alone could be its own character and not apart of a theme for another character. Squirtle is not Blastoise, Blastoise is not Charizard, even despite all three starters being important Charizard has been always set aside as something special while the others are just not of his caliber. Also with the lack or rather termination of transformation characters the theme of the Pokemon Trainer became obsolete. As such Ivysaur and Squirtle not being as popular nor as important to the franchise at the time were cut.

Mewtwo
the face of the new game mechanic of mega evolution, with a movie displaying it mega evolving and having two megas along with being in other promotional material. I personally believe that his unveiling during the 50 facts extravaganza and his exclusion from the base game was a marketing ploy to sell more copies the tow version of the game or encourage more people to buy both copies. How is it that it took so much time to develop him and a few months later not one but three characters who are way more complex than him all come out at the same time? People, they were all done before the game came out Sakurai lied. This isn't theory crafting its common sense but of course someone is going to come around and say "nuh uh you're wrong give me a statement that says Sakurai lied"

Greninja
Is the "new pokemon " and was featured in promotional material and most likely is going to be in the anime.

Six, Pokemon has always had a format of being able to carry six pokemon with you at any one time its a staple in the series. Is it too unrealistic to think that such a staple would be transferred into smash as a way of saying that smash in itself has its own "pokemon team" in its roster? I know what you're going to say "but Mewtwo was going to be the 7th one" Yes but he didn't make in did he? Which left us with six in brawl, and unless there's going to be Pokemon DLC for smash (there won't be Mewtwo was it) we're going to still have six here in smash 4.

The whole veteran argument is dumb because besides Snake and Wolf everyone else has either been replaced or made obsolete. Young Link? Was replaced by Toon Link. All the other Pokemon? Don't matter, we can talk about them being "Lugigfied" all day, they don't matter. Especially when you consider that Pokemon is second for the amount of reps in the series of smash. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD NEED MORE? Honestly its like I'm in a room full of crazy people who act like the only pokemon we have is Pikachu.

Okay I'm done.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I'd go back to 1999. My younger self would be three. I would explain to my younger self the importance of Rareware. I would then purchase Banjo-Kazooie and Super Smash Bros. for my younger self.
As I depart, I would tell my younger self to tell everyone he sees that "Rareware can't be bought by Microsoft, they must stay with Nintendo."
My younger self will have spread this strange news across the world. Nintendo, hearing this news despite it not possibly being public, takes it as a sign, and fully acquires Rare.
Rare continues making games for Nintendo. Banjo-Threeie, and more. Nintendo prospers from these excellent games, and with so much talent and money behind the company, Nintendo soon acquires every other prominent game publisher in the world.
In order to compete with Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings movies and Game of Thrones The Legend of Zelda is turned into a largely successful film and TV series.
By the fourth iteration of Super Smash Bros., in contrast to our timeline, Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, Conker, Lara Croft, Cloud Strife, Nathan Drake, King K. Rool, Sackboy, Dark Souls Knight, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, and many more join Smash Bros.
Oh, and Ghirahim from the Zelda series is in too.
Nintendo still owning rare sounds plausible, but, if Nintendo were to own all game publishers, wouldn't there be anti-trust laws that would make them break up?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Nintendo still owning rare sounds plausible, but, if Nintendo were to own all game publishers, wouldn't there be anti-trust laws that would make them break up?
My story involves my travelling back in time to tell myself to tell Nintendo to buy Rareware, then Nintendo eating up every possible game publisher in the world.
It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I can not wait for Chorus Kids to be revealed so all the Getmatsu critics could feast on their own excrement.

And what a feast it will be!

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I would tell myself, "remember, speculators are never as smart as they think they are, including myself", "brace for the butthurt", "stay true to yourself" and "stay the **** away from Ridley discussions, before and after the roster reveal". If I had to choose only one, it would be the last one.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
...You do realize there's this little thing we like to call Chrom, right?
Getmatsu could easily have seen a pre-production character list. It seems that Robin eventually trumped Chrom. Getmatsu might have well bought a lottery ticket if you think Villager and Wii Fit Trainer among all his other correct guesses were just chance. Prepare to eat your own waste.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Getmatsu could easily have seen a pre-production character list. It seems that Robin eventually trumped Chrom. Getmatsu might have well bought a lottery ticket if you think Villager and Wii Fit Trainer among all his other correct guesses were just chance. Prepare to eat your own waste.
Rosalina. She was the first character worked on, not to mention how Takamaru was considered, yet not on the lis

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Why would he? If he gets in, its because the fans demand him back in. This doesn't make that leak true.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not to mention Sakurai said Robin was overall a much better choice in comparison, how can you consider a character, write their name on a list of potential fighters, look at a character from the same game who is more important and then scratch through the old one's name

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Why would he? If he gets in, its because the fans demand him back in. This doesn't make that leak true.
So you are saying Getmatsu was lucky at guessing? That is your big answer? If so, say so.

Remember the pokemon leaks? A few minor details were off, but everything else was correct. Was the leaker a liar or just also good at guessing?

Please use your brains. I know your only 13 and the acne is draining blood from your brain, but at least befriend logic before your big 14th birthday bash. Please!

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
So you are saying Getmatsu was lucky at guessing? That is your big answer? If so, say so.

Remember the pokemon leaks? A few minor details were off, but everything else was correct. Was the leaker a liar or just also good at guessing?

Please use your brains. I know your only 13 and the acne is draining blood from your brain, but at least befriend logic before your big 14th birthday bash. Please!
Hey just because you never wanted those characters in doesn't make it a "lucky guess"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Getmatsu doesn't exist, so you use your brains. By saying that we need to eat **** because you can't spell right got some things right despite A: Rosalina. B: Chrom couldn't be considered as a potential fighter without looking at Robin. C: Monado Monday. Argue that. The leaker outright said we'd get Shulk. Shulk never came, we got Batman's trusty sidekick revealed that day

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Gematsu arguments still?

Why not discuss... I don't know, other potential final smashes for the fighters on the roster?

Lucina - Aether. Lunges forwards like Critical hit but strikes twice. First one healing her slightly whilst the second one is much stronger.
Shulk - Monado Cyclone. Let's loose the full extent of the Monado's Power to deal very heavy damage to opponents in Shulk's vicinity and topple them for a set amount of time allowing for a Smash attack to finish them afterwards.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think it's clear that the Gematsu leak had some sort of inside information. It got too much correct (including stuff no one predicted) to be a mere lucky guess.

But it's also clear that the information was outdated and innacurate. What's more, the source guessed/lied for "Monado Monday." While it likely had something to it, the Gematsu leak is ultimately an unreliable and untrustworthy source of information.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think it's clear that the Gematsu leak had some sort of inside information. It got too much correct (including stuff no one predicted) to be a mere lucky guess.

But it's also clear that the information was outdated and innacurate. What's more, the source guessed/lied for "Monado Monday." While it likely had something to it, the Gematsu leak is ultimately an unreliable and untrustworthy source of information.
Not to mention Sakurai confirmed that he planned which trailers would be revealed at certain dates, meaning Monado Monday was literally fabricated, the leaker ran after that

D

Deleted member

While Bowserlick's method of expressing his argument is questionable, his points on the Gematsu leak hold water.

But in the end, like False says, with the information being outdated and not reflective of the final outcome, it isn't a reliable source of info.

(Though considering the game's already out, there's no information to "leak" from it as a source anyway...)

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I honestly wouldn't spoil myself at all, sure I'm still BITTERLY heartbroken about Ridley and the utterly stupid reasons he's not playable
But i've met a lot of friends because of this and I wouldn't change that for the world

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Literally, the only thing that could be taken from the Gematsu leak at this point is that we could potentially see the Chorus Kids in the future as DLC.

But at the same time, we also have to think of why they didn't make the final cut if they were indeed the Rhythm Heaven character that was planned.
If they had the same issue as the Ice Climbers due to their status as a trio, then we really shouldn't expect them anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom