• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
And yet Lucas had more priority than Wolf. Lucas even got quite a large amount of nerfs too from what I saw. I'd rather have Sakurai work on Wolf DLC than the cookie cutter clones tbh, because then we'd have him by now. Or tomorrow
At least we got them all at once, that leaves more time to work on other stuff like Wolf.

You want to know whats funny? All people said about ryu was that he woildnt be unique.

And yet sakurai managed to make him more unique than half the roster. Its why a new director worries me.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Impa is a character that could easily be chosen by Sakurai regardless of the ballot. She has huge importance in the Zelda series, and Hyrule Warriors has her playable with quite an established role. With that game's port to 3DS, I see a sequel as likely.

I also highly suspect her to appear in Zelda Wii U. As certain people already analysed the world map, and discovered places as Kakariko Village (a Sheikah town originally) and Hyrule Castle / Castle Town. Could be gasping at straws here, but to me it seems likely Impa will play a role in Zelda Wii U. Whoch could mean she could be added around the time of Wolf's release.

Characters I feel who have a good chance currently:

-King K.Rool
-Isaac
-Captain Toad
-Impa
-Chibi Robo
-Dixie Kong
-Bandana Dee

These seem to me the characters Sakurai would be most willing to work with. Especially since new releases for DKC and Golden Sun might happen. But I gotta say, I think that the ammount of DLC will hugely depend on of this Smash is gonna be the last Smash.

Anyway, I played Smash with the DLC characters at my friend's place, and am really loving Roy so far. He's a lot faster, and stronger especially. Really liking playing as a far more unique Roy now after his 13 years of absence. Lucas is also great, but I still prefer Ness over him as in Brawl. Ryu is a lot weaker in terms of killpower than expected. But he seems versatile, just not my piece of cake. Am at least happy he's balanced properly.
Add in Ridley, Ice Climbers and Krystal and that'd be my wish-list for the rest of the DLC.

For those saying 60 is the maximum, who says everyone has to buy every character? They could make 60-64 the maximum amount of slots, but let you choose which DLC characters to put in the extra slots.

I'm sure most people will want a good portion of the DLC, but not all of it.

I'm indifferent to Lucas, Wolf and Roy, for instance. I'd take Ryu and another newcomer over those three.

90-95% of Smash fans are probably open to not having EVERY bit of DLC. So they could let people customize their remaining slots as opposed to only letting them get the DLC that fills up 60 slots.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Add in Ridley, Ice Climbers and Krystal and that'd be my wish-list for the rest of the DLC.

For those saying 60 is the maximum, who says everyone has to buy every character? They could make 60-64 the maximum amount of slots, but let you choose which DLC characters to put in the extra slots.

I'm sure most people will want a good portion of the DLC, but not all of it.

I'm indifferent to Lucas, Wolf and Roy, for instance. I'd take Ryu and another newcomer over those three.

90-95% of Smash fans are probably open to not having EVERY bit of DLC. So they could let people customize their remaining slots as opposed to only letting them get the DLC that fills up 60 slots.
But people will buy every DLC character because of that feeling to have the whole roster.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
But people will buy every DLC character because of that feeling to have the whole roster.
That's a minority, though - only the die-hard nerds/fanboys will do that. 5-10%. Everyone else will realize they don't REALLY want every character. Lucas and Roy and Wolf and even Ryu don't excite me the way Chibi-Robo or King K. Rool or Ridley would.

Fans should think to themselves: Do I even like this character?

I don't want Smash junkies preventing more casual fans from being able to choose which DLC characters fill their slots.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Lucas, to my mind, is to Ness what Doc is to Mario, Ganondorf is to Captain Falcon and Falco is to Fox: a slower, more methodical fighter focused on hard hits over insane combos. That was my first takeaway from watching him in action.

I'm not sure if Ness is inherently better or if it's just first impressions, but he definitely benefits more from this game's engine than Lucas does. I highly doubt Lucas is going to turn out to be an unusable fighter, he definitely has some neat tricks, just that he can't pull them out of his backside like Ness can.

EDIT: Suzaku Castle is the best new stage and I will hear no other insinuations to the contrary.

As you were.
Take a look over on the Lucas thread.. The one full of people who main him and they are pretty much thinking the opposite. I think he is fine, I still do better with ness, but it's gonna take time to relearn him and remember than iam not playing as ness.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Take a look over on the Lucas thread.. The one full of people who main him and they are pretty much thinking the opposite. I think he is fine, I still do better with ness, but it's gonna take time to relearn him and remember than iam not playing as ness.
Well, yeah, of course the people who are committed to him are going to have a different opinion. It's like dwelling in the Palutena forum as opposed to just about anywhere else.

I'm talking about first impressions as a layman who has no idea how to play as Lucas. He's definitely fine, I never disputed that, I just think his strengths aren't as egregiously evident as Ness's. ;3

mark welford

Smash Ace
That's a minority, though - only the die-hard nerds/fanboys will do that. 5-10%. Everyone else will realize they don't REALLY want every character. Lucas and Roy and Wolf and even Ryu don't excite me the way Chibi-Robo or King K. Rool or Ridley would.

I don't want Smash junkies preventing more casual fans from being able to choose which DLC characters fill their slots.
The completionist in a person will drive them to buy every character like 'em or not.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm getting every character because I think every character has merit, and I want to help Smash.

Irrespective of whether I actually play them or not, it's nice to know they're still there - diversity and all that jazzmatazz~ ;3

Burruni

Smash Hero
You all have heard me tear apart :4feroy: at every bend and turn along this speculation track.

You heard me be a salt volcano yesterday about it finally coming.

I still bought him.

To say 90-95% of people WON'T by all DLC is a bit silly.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Speak for yourself man. You sound so stuck up and bratty with the way your coming off right now.

People want characters from Melee and Brawl in Smash 4 because they liked playing as those characters. Nintendo is able to make a crap ton of money doing that and fans of previous veterans are able to play as those character in Smash 4.

Ridley in Smash 4 at this point of time is a stupid idea unless Sakurai swerves us by making characters in the game playable that were non playable initially.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
****, the main reason I'm getting all DLC characters is this: What if my friends come over and are upset that I don't have their main? Though in hindsight, this one guy I know won't buy Roy so I'm forbidding him from touching DLC characters outside of Mewtwo

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You all have heard me tear apart :4feroy: at every bend and turn along this speculation track.

I still bought him.

That's why I shrug when people say this:
"but whu wuld even by yung lonk"
"that cherchater wont sell. has no sellabilooti."

I havent bought Lucas. And I wanted Lucas. I just dont want to play him :upsidedown:
I probably wouldnt buy Young link, I 100% would not buy pichu (i wouldnt buy pikachu either) and maybe not wolf.

Im not buying characters I wont play :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I should make a decloned Young Link move set too soon.
Didn't you post one in this thread the other day? :p

That's why I shrug when people say this:
"but whu wuld even by yung lonk"
"that cherchater wont sell. has no sellabilooti."
This is actually true. Most people would buy them for the sake of completeness. But that won't stop people from saying Nintendo is being a rip-off.

:231:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

I still bought him.

For me it's about how much dlc we end up getting. If we only have like two more characters coming say wolf and a newcomer I will probably get them but if we end up with 5 more after that or something, I'm definitely going to carefully pick and choose who I buy, if anyone..

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If none of my friends like a character or I really hate them, not buying. "Adam Malkovich authoritzes the fight" I'm not even considering using that as a Sandbag texture swap
You know what? Release him as Mii costume. This will allow us to actually see this hilarious announcement without pissing off anyone. :laugh:

:231:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Well, yeah, of course the people who are committed to him are going to have a different opinion. It's like dwelling in the Palutena forum as opposed to just about anywhere else.

I'm talking about first impressions as a layman who has no idea how to play as Lucas. He's definitely fine, I never disputed that, I just think his strengths aren't as egregiously evident as Ness's. ;3
Well and I'm saying that it is those people that probably know best about his competive potential. I think it's not accurate at all to say there are huge gaps between him and ness. At worst it would be like Ness is A tier and Lucas is B tier, not like one is at the top and the other is at the bottom like some people are saying.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well and I'm saying that it is those people that probably know best about his competive potential. I think it's not accurate at all to say there are huge gaps between him and ness. At worst it would be like Ness is A tier and Lucas is B tier, not like one is at the top and the other is at the bottom like some people are saying.
Misinterpreting what I said again, dear.

I'm saying that Lucas's strengths are not as self-evident to the uninitiated as Ness's are.

There are a lot of players that would claim Ness is "OP" due to his PK Fire setups, d-air combos, PKT2 shenanigans and b-throw. Contrast that with Lucas, where the common conception is, at fist glance, "too slow dun liek".

It is in no way a reflection on his merit as a character or his competitive viability. From what I hear, he's as viable as Ness, or at least very close to it.

That said, from what I gather, he has to work for his output more than Ness does: whereas Ness's PK Fire sets up for d-air combos and b-throw kills (which is, as I understand, a terrible strategy at high-level play), Lucas doesn't have that kind of luxury. He has to get creative and play a very different game.

That's the difference between the two: playstyle. One is fast and aggressive, the other is slow and deliberate. That does not mean one is necessarily better than the other. It just means one looks like it has more going for it in the eyes of people who have never played as either of them.

It's the Captain Falcon / Ganondorf dichotomy.

And that's that.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd probably think twice about buying a character if the character itself did nothing for me and it was a nearly direct clone, but other than that I'll likely be picking them all up.

That said I can't imagine I'll be picking up any of the Mii costumes... unless they came with trophies like the Splatoon ones...

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd probably think twice about buying a character if the character itself did nothing for me and it was a nearly direct clone, but other than that I'll likely be picking them all up.

That said I can't imagine I'll be picking up any of the Mii costumes... unless they came with trophies like the Splatoon ones...
The splatoon trophy is independant to the costumes i thought

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I got the Heihachi set mainly because i'm an avid Tekken fan and Ryu VS Heihachi in Smash is hype.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Misinterpreting what I said again, dear.

I'm saying that Lucas's strengths are not as self-evident to the uninitiated as Ness's are.

There are a lot of players that would claim Ness is "OP" due to his PK Fire setups, d-air combos, PKT2 shenanigans and b-throw. Contrast that with Lucas, where the common conception is, at fist glance, "too slow dun liek".

It is in no way a reflection on his merit as a character or his competitive viability. From what I hear, he's as viable as Ness, or at least very close to it.

That said, from what I gather, he has to work for his output more than Ness does: whereas Ness's PK Fire sets up for d-air combos and b-throw kills (which is, as I understand, a terrible strategy at high-level play), Lucas doesn't have that kind of luxury. He has to get creative and play a very different game.

That's the difference between the two: playstyle. One is fast and aggressive, the other is slow and deliberate. That does not mean one is necessarily better than the other. It just means one looks like it has more going for it in the eyes of people who have never played as either of them.

It's the Captain Falcon / Ganondorf dichotomy.

And that's that.
Yeah I did, in your original post I thought you said he would NOT turn out to be a usable fighter, implying a huge gap between him and Ness, like one other person said.
My bad.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah I did, in your original post I thought you said he would NOT turn out to be a usable fighter, implying a huge gap between him and Ness, like one other person said.
My bad.
Oh god no, I said I doubt he'll turn out to be an un-usable fighter.

It's okay, no harm done. :3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I am so indifferent to the Mii costumes that if I were to make my feelings about them into a tangible object it would probably be a black hole. I can see why people buy them though and it's practically guaranteed that a lot of fun ones are in the pipe line. I will gladly accept being beaten to death by a bag of oranges if Knuckles, Shadow, Tails, Nights, Chun Li, M. Bison, Ken, and Zeingief don't show up as Mii costumes by the time DLC is completely wrapped up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyone else watching the Microsoft event?

Anyone else really disinterested with the majority of what's there?
I thought the Armature/Comcept game would hold my interest more than it did.

Lemme know when Banjo shows up.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would most likely buy every character, even if I personally don't really care about them. I wasn't really much of a fan of Roy, didn't really care much about Ryu and I personally prefer Ness over Lucas but yet I still purchased them all for both versions and I have been really enjoying the three of them a lot. (I can't really get the hang of Ryu's moveset though, but it's still cool eitherway)

After seeing Roy and how wonderful he turned out (in my opinion), I'm not all that worried about any potential clones we might get as I'm fairly sure Sakurai and his team will put the effort into making them into well diverse characters in their own right in my opinion.

That's just me though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom